University of Wisconsin Class of 2013!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have updated info on Anatomy? Is it in the old medical school or the research tower? Fall or Spring?

When I was there, I remember Bob (the M1 class co-president) telling us that the incoming class will still be taking anatomy in the spring at the old medical school or wherever the location that's by the undergraduate campus. Maybe drizzt will have more information on that.

Members don't see this ad.

are you in state eric? my EFC was 0 (I'm out of state) and my financial aid was $8500 short. Does UW grant residency after the first year to OOS? Thanks

Mine was short of total budget as well... I do not believe residency is granted to OOS students after the first year. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your interview date? The discussion surrounding anatomy when I interviewed in January was that it would probably be in the new facilities and it was up in the air as to whether it would be a Fall or Spring course

I also keep hearing different things about anatomy. I really hope it's in the new facilities because I heard they're supposed to be really nice and it'll make anatomy less disconnected from rest of med school.

are you in state eric? my EFC was 0 (I'm out of state) and my financial aid was $8500 short. Does UW grant residency after the first year to OOS? Thanks

No, I am out of state as well. And I looked into the possibility of obtaining in state status and was told it is not an option-and I lived in WI 1988-2000 (I moved after graduating HS from a WI school), oddly though my wife will get in state status because her parents still live in WI and she has been out of WI since 2001...

Ah well... anyhow hope you all are having a great weekend!

What was your interview date? The discussion surrounding anatomy when I interviewed in January was that it would probably be in the new facilities and it was up in the air as to whether it would be a Fall or Spring course

I interviewed at the end of February. I can shoot my student host an email later, but that's what I was told when I was at my interview.

There are no new anatomy facilities. Anatomy will be at MSC indefinitely. Supposedly there were plans to make new anatomy labs in CSC but that isn't going to happen anytime soon. It's supposedly been put on hold, but the anatomy staff have said that it's probably not going to happen at least in the next several years. Eventually, once all the WIMR towers are done and they start transitioning all of the medically related research to the WIMR and tear down the MSC (2012?) it might happen, but we'll all have graduated by then.

Sorry to disappoint. Yes, MSC sucks, but the anatomy staff are awesome and it's been a fun experience. Also, if it were in the CSC, it'd be probably difficult to access after hours from the HSLC without walking outside.

BTW I am pretty sure anatomy will be a spring course again for you guys.

Hi,
I have recently been accepted into the WARM program!! I'm sooo excited to meet everyone in the Fall ... and to stop hounding the "Class of 2013 forum" every day haha ...

:love:

Yay! Congratulations! I look forward to meeting you in the fall!

there's something wrong with rapidshare. If you want the match list, PM me with your email and I'll send it to you.

Last edited:
Anything going on tonight- I'm in the area...

Soooo... how is everyone's spring so far? Anyone have anything exciting planned for the summer prior to starting school-anyone taking any trips?

Sorry, I'm bored sitting here at work with nothing to do, b astards blocked facebook a while ago (lol they called it "tasteless") but they can't keep me off SDN!

Soooo... how is everyone's spring so far? Anyone have anything exciting planned for the summer prior to starting school-anyone taking any trips?

Sorry, I'm bored sitting here at work with nothing to do, b astards blocked facebook a while ago (lol they called it "tasteless") but they can't keep me off SDN!

We are leaving on Wednesday to go to Mexico for two weeks... and we have the priviledge of catching our connecting flight in Mexico City.

We decided to fly to avoid the violence along the border, and now we get to wear surgical masks from Mexico City until our final destination. :rolleyes:

It will be good to get away though... otherwise I am just counting down the days until we move, finish work, start orientation, etc. :laugh:

I hear you on the work thing... they haven't blocked Facebook yet, but I am sure it is coming. The plus side is I have a pretty interesting job and there is always too much to do, so the days are going by fast. :thumbup:

113 days left 'til orientation!;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Mexico will be fun and the whole swine flu thing should really make it feel like an adventure!!

Ya I was surprised to see I could get onto SDN last night usually "public forums" are banned, they ban all sorts of stuff (I can't even check my powerball tickets at work!). Ah well, I still love what I do and will be mildly sad to leave, I've been there eight years in July.

I like the countdown by the way 113 days till orientation, ~95 days till I quit work, ~78 days till we leave for our cruise, and ~21days till graduation so everything is broken up fairly nicely.

Oh, the wifey and I will be in Madison May 18-22 to look at housing. If anyone is there PM me or facebook me and we could meet up possibly. Also, if anyone has found any good housing that they are willing to share, shoot me a PM, we are trying to compile a list of places to look at (the only qualifier is they must take dogs).

Mexico will be fun and the whole swine flu thing should really make it feel like an adventure!!

Ya I was surprised to see I could get onto SDN last night usually "public forums" are banned, they ban all sorts of stuff (I can't even check my powerball tickets at work!). Ah well, I still love what I do and will be mildly sad to leave, I've been there eight years in July.

I like the countdown by the way 113 days till orientation, ~95 days till I quit work, ~78 days till we leave for our cruise, and ~21days till graduation so everything is broken up fairly nicely.

Oh, the wifey and I will be in Madison May 18-22 to look at housing. If anyone is there PM me or facebook me and we could meet up possibly. Also, if anyone has found any good housing that they are willing to share, shoot me a PM, we are trying to compile a list of places to look at (the only qualifier is they must take dogs).

Hey,

if you're looking to rent, I would def suggest Eagle Heights. It is very family friendly with most graduate students (or undergrads with families) living there. It is a bit further away from school (20 min walk) but the 80 bus passes through eagle heights and to the med school every 8 minutes. Also, parking and Internet is FREE and rent is MUCH cheaper than apartments on University ave. Finally, there are DAILY activities in their community center, which should be a fun thing for you (on your free time) and your spouse (when you're busy).

Oh, and the lake is a 5 minute walk away.

The only obstacle is getting approved. You have to submit and application and then they let you know. I hear that if you are willing to move in on a less popular date (like April-June) then you are more likely to get a place. Also, families (esp with kids) have priority.

Hey,

if you're looking to rent, I would def suggest Eagle Heights. It is very family friendly with most graduate students (or undergrads with families) living there. It is a bit further away from school (20 min walk) but the 80 bus passes through eagle heights and to the med school every 8 minutes. Also, parking and Internet is FREE and rent is MUCH cheaper than apartments on University ave. Finally, there are DAILY activities in their community center, which should be a fun thing for you (on your free time) and your spouse (when you're busy).

The only obstacle is getting approved. You have to submit and application and then they let you know. I hear that if you are willing to move in on a less popular date (like April-June) then you are more likely to get a place. Also, families (esp with kids) have priority.

I'm definitely going to look into living at Eagle Heights. Gotta find a roommate first, too!

Hey,

Thanks, I appreciate the info. however, it looks like they do not take pets which is a draw-back for us.

Thanks though, I appreciate it.

I'm definitely going to look into living at Eagle Heights. Gotta find a roommate first, too!

Well, you'd be best served applying for a 1 or 2 bedroom while you search for a roomate. It takes them a while to have a vacancy and make you an offer. Either way, compare the prices of **one apartment company on University ave** (one bedroom with parking and internet = $800+) to Eagle Heights (same package for $655). Add to that the much much much much much better treatment, location, neighbors you get by living at Eagle Heights.

I just want to echo about the convenience of living in Eagle Heights.

The rent for a two bed room is ~$720. However, all utilities are paid for except for electricity.

So:
Free water, heat during the winter months (huge savings), and UW-Madison internet (extremely fast compared to charter). Free parking for 1 car, extra = $25/month. You also get free laundry/dryer, and the campus bus system is free.

Electricity is ~$50 per months so less than $800 for a 2br is a great deal.

The bus ride from Eagle Heights to the hospital/HSLC is only about 3 minutes if you get on at the last bus stop.

Sadly I'm moving out at the end of May :( I liked Eagle Hts a lot.

Where do med students, at least M1s, tend to live? Just wondering.

Also, when is orientation again? lol, I should know this but I don't see it in my acceptance materials. For some reason I'm thinking second week of August. Is there an academic/curricular calendar up yet for c/o 2013?

Also, when is orientation again? lol, I should know this but I don't see it in my acceptance materials. For some reason I'm thinking second week of August. Is there an academic/curricular calendar up yet for c/o 2013?

A lot of people live on old university

Should be mid August, last year it was 8/14.

I would say about half the class lives on Old University, about 1/6 downtown, 1/6 by hilldale, and the rest in houses scattered throughout madison (mostly ppl with families) I live by Hilldale and love the quiet and low cost for a large very nice apartment. I can see why some people would want to live downtown to be close to the action but it WILL be loud potentially at any time and definitely on the weekends.

Should be mid August, last year it was 8/14.

I would say about half the class lives on Old University, about 1/6 downtown, 1/6 by hilldale, and the rest in houses scattered throughout madison (mostly ppl with families) I live by Hilldale and love the quiet and low cost for a large very nice apartment. I can see why some people would want to live downtown to be close to the action but it WILL be loud potentially at any time and definitely on the weekends.

Loud's no problem for me unless it's the type of loud that accompanies earthquakes. :smuggrin:

But if its the case that there aren't many med students living in Eagle Heights, then I would have to consider Old University, someplace nearby. Time for me to put something up on uwmedstudents.com

Loud's no problem for me unless it's the type of loud that accompanies earthquakes. :smuggrin:

But if its the case that there aren't many med students living in Eagle Heights, then I would have to consider Old University, someplace nearby. Time for me to put something up on uwmedstudents.com

one of my best friends just posted an ad for her place on the facebook group, dunno if you saw that.

Looks like she's already found someone to fill in the other half of the lease.. at least for now

So any of y'all plan on getting football tickets? $133 for 7 home games :D

Ordered official transcripts to be sent to UW today, now it's time to find somebody who can do those antibody titers for me. I can't get mine done at Occupational Health at the hospital I work at (they don't do lab work :confused: but it's a hospital!). I'll probably need to find a doctor's office somewhere nearby..

Looks like she's already found someone to fill in the other half of the lease.. at least for now

So any of y'all plan on getting football tickets? $133 for 7 home games :D

Definitely a great deal, nice that there's no lottery this year too!

how do you apply for football and (more importantly) hockey tickets?

How easy is it to get one of the computers in the library? Is there kind of a rush on them, or do most people bring laptops with them and not use the library desktops?

I've been considering buying a new laptop-something much lighter and portable than the one I have now so that I can bring it to HSLC with me. Only problem is, my computer right now runs fine; it's only 4 years old. Its just really heavy and I need to update programs. So to save money, I'm now considering holding out another year on buying a laptop and just using the computers in the library when I'm at HSLC to write out notes and listen to lectures, and just using a jump drive to transfer my work back to my laptop at home. So, would you say I'm pretty much guaranteed to find an open PC in the library, or am I taking a big risk? Should I just break down and buy a new laptop?

how do you apply for football and (more importantly) hockey tickets?

I called the ticket office and they said it's first come first served for us on July 6... you go online starting at 8:30am and buy them. I don't know if its a game-by-game basis or if its a season package though

How easy is it to get one of the computers in the library? Is there kind of a rush on them, or do most people bring laptops with them and not use the library desktops?

I've been considering buying a new laptop-something much lighter and portable than the one I have now so that I can bring it to HSLC with me. Only problem is, my computer right now runs fine; it's only 4 years old. Its just really heavy and I need to update programs. So to save money, I'm now considering holding out another year on buying a laptop and just using the computers in the library when I'm at HSLC to write out notes and listen to lectures, and just using a jump drive to transfer my work back to my laptop at home. So, would you say I'm pretty much guaranteed to find an open PC in the library, or am I taking a big risk? Should I just break down and buy a new laptop?

You can use the computers in the cluster rooms too, so it's pretty guaranteed you'll be able to get a computer. I would personally get a laptop but it's up to you. I think there's value in having it there with you in the lecture hall to take notes on the powerpoint slides, but some people print them out instead.

I called the ticket office and they said it's first come first served for us on July 6... you go online starting at 8:30am and buy them. I don't know if its a game-by-game basis or if its a season package though

that's for season tickets, which is awesome, but you definitely need to logon at 8:30 to be sure you'll get them though!

thanks for the responses guys. is the july 6th date just for football tickets, or for all sports?

thanks for the responses guys. is the july 6th date just for football tickets, or for all sports?

just football i think. For the less popular sports there's something along the lines of a badgers pass, which allow you to go to all the games other than men's football/basketball/hockey. I know for a fact that basketball is like a couple months after football, hockey is also after football.

In regards to the student benefits we get, does anyone know if I can add my wife on to those benefits or does she need to fend for herself?

Too bad! My wife and I will be in Madison May 12-15...I have no idea where to look...

For health insurance, I think you have to pay additional $2600 to put your wife on plan...I hope I am wrong, here...

Last edited:
Too bad! My wife and I will be in Madison May 12-15...I have no idea where to look...

For health insurance, I think you have to pay additional $2600 to put your wife on plan...I hope I am wrong, here...

If you are 25 or under, it costs $3100 to add a spouse/partner. If you are 26 or above, it costs $2600. Depending on your age/medical situation, you might have more success with private insurance, not sure. SHIP is pretty nice though.

As far as housing, are you looking for a house? To buy or rent? If you are shopping for a house, I think you'll find the most success in the area just south of University Avenue, between Whitney and Blackhawk. Renting is another story.

Thanks for the info.

For housing, I tried to get a morgage but did not have any luck for that because non-income issue as a student...I dont know if I should talk to local morgage company at Madison... So, we are both looking at renting and buying...Any advice would be appreciated!!

If you are 25 or under, it costs $3100 to add a spouse/partner. If you are 26 or above, it costs $2600. Depending on your age/medical situation, you might have more success with private insurance, not sure. SHIP is pretty nice though.

As far as housing, are you looking for a house? To buy or rent? If you are shopping for a house, I think you'll find the most success in the area just south of University Avenue, between Whitney and Blackhawk. Renting is another story.

Thanks for the info.

For housing, I tried to get a morgage but did not have any luck for that because non-income issue as a student...I dont know if I should talk to local morgage company at Madison... So, we are both looking at renting and buying...Any advice will be great!!

It will be tough to get a mortgage if you don't have income. Eagle Heights is an affordable and quiet place to live, although I'm not sure if you can still get a place applying this late for housing. A lot of people live near Old University Ave, but it might be difficult to get a big apartment. Your best bet might be the apartments on Sheboygan Avenue near Hilldale. Normandy, Monticello, etc, are all nice and on major bus lines.

Wow, I did not know I was that late to look for housing. I should be worried, then! My last day at work is this Monday and I am flying to Madison on Tuesday...Wish me a luck finding a place! Oh, are there people who lives on Westside of Madison and commutes?

Thanks!

It will be tough to get a mortgage if you don't have income. Eagle Heights is an affordable and quiet place to live, although I'm not sure if you can still get a place applying this late for housing. A lot of people live near Old University Ave, but it might be difficult to get a big apartment. Your best bet might be the apartments on Sheboygan Avenue near Hilldale. Normandy, Monticello, etc, are all nice and on major bus lines.

Wow, I did not know I was that late to look for housing. I should be worried, then! My last day at work is this Monday and I am flying to Madison on Tuesday...Wish me a luck finding a place! Oh, are there people who lives on Westside of Madison and commutes?

Thanks!

There are some, but you can't get parking on campus if you live in the city of Madison, so you'll have to buy a private parking spot probably on Old University so that's annoying. You're not supposed to park in the hospital lot, but a lot of people do it anyways, which really makes the administration angry, oh well. It's also expensive ($1/hr) It would be a trainwreck to try to get from West Madison to HSLC by bus. It's not too late to look for off-campus housing, but it is late to be applying for on-campus housing (Eagle Heights)

Thanks!

I don't think drizzt was referring to all apartments, just Eagle Heights sense it usually has a waiting list. However, if your move in date is flexible (aka NOT in August when everybody else wants an apartment), you're likely to have success. A visiting student from a different country was looking for housing this week, and was able to get an apartment at eagle heights and move in the following day (again, May is easier to get a place than August). I'm almost sure that they have available 2 bedrooms (unless they've been taken in the past 2 weeks). It couldn't hurt to check, as they are much more affordable and not far from the HSLC. PM me for more info.

Best of Luck,

Wisc

How do you find "private" parking passes, and are they worth it vs. trying to park near a bus stop and busing in?

Also, I think some of the places we are looking at are in West Madison, why is this so bad for commuting? I had heard that getting from the east side of the capitol was a nightmare, is there much truth to this?

While we are on the topic of commutes, can anyone speak to the commute (ease, length, etc.) from the Fitchburg area?

Thanks again for all your help!

How do you find "private" parking passes, and are they worth it vs. trying to park near a bus stop and busing in?

Goldleaf apartments (which owns most of the apartments on Old University) sells uncovered parking spots for about $50/month. You may be able to get covered parking but it will be at least $85/month.

Also, I think some of the places we are looking at are in West Madison, why is this so bad for commuting? I had heard that getting from the east side of the capitol was a nightmare, is there much truth to this?

The west side isn't particularly bad for commuting, any worse than anywhere else by car. By bus, it would be terrible b/c you would have to switch buses probably often and there aren't many stops on the west side so you'd probably have to walk a long distance to a stop. Right now there is construction so getting to campus from the east sucks, but that should hopefully be done soon. The problem with commuting is parking. I commute to school usually (don't like the bus) and I live near Hilldale. I got a parking spot from Goldleaf for $50/month that iy s 5 minutes walk from the HSLC.

While we are on the topic of commutes, can anyone speak to the commute (ease, length, etc.) from the Fitchburg area?

That's probably a 20 minute commute, which doesn't seem particularly bad but kind of sucks for 8 AM lectures. Parts of Fitchburg are nice, but you have to be a little careful when you look in that area, not all of the areas are the best. I think the general area I mentioned is best. The large trapezoidal area bordered by Odana Road and Monroe St on the South, University Ave on the North, Whitney Way on the West, and Breese Terrace on the West is probably going to be your highest yield area to look for housing. If you're east of Highland Avenue in that box and north of Regent St you'll be looking in areas that are chiefly UW students so that might not be the most peaceful area in the world.

West Madison isn't a bad place to live, it can be expensive though in some areas and some places aren't the greatest. A few married couples live in condos near the intersection of Old Sauk and Gammon, which is about 2-3 minutes from West Towne and about a 15 minute commute from school. Those complexes (Wyndemere) aren't too bad. I'm not sure about cost though.

Last edited:

I'll do my best. I'm going to assume you are driving and already acquired a "private" parking pass, I don't even know what they are tbh.

West madison to HSLC is about 10-15 minutes if there isn't traffic. In the morning at around 7-9 AM it could take up top 20. Madison traffic isn't bad at all.

But winter will suck. Ask around the neighbors about how fast the street usually get plowed.

Not sure about east side, I just know it tends to be not as safe as west side. Don't know much about traffic etc.

Fitchburg is like 20 mins if no traffic IIRC.

If you aren't driving and are taking a bus, I would suggest not going any further than Hilldale area apartments. Depending on where you live, you may have to take a bus to west transfer point, wait like 20 minutes, then ride the #2 bus to HSLC. The whole commute could take an hour.

also, another option to consider is eagle heights parking lot. They are like $25 a month but you need to have a friend living there who can do it for you, or a friend who doesn't have a car and doesnt need the parking space.

For the 1/6 of the class who lives near Hilldale, what is the commute like? Do they mostly drive, take bus, bike? I am going to be living near Hilldale next year and want to know what my options are.

For students who drive from Hilldale area, where do they park?

For students who bus in from Hilldale area, what is the bus route like? Is it just one bus or do you have to transfer? How often does the bus come?

For students who may bike, is there a bike path, or would it be on the main roads?

For the 1/6 of the class who lives near Hilldale, what is the commute like? Do they mostly drive, take bus, bike? I am going to be living near Hilldale next year and want to know what my options are.

For students who drive from Hilldale area, where do they park?

For students who bus in from Hilldale area, what is the bus route like? Is it just one bus or do you have to transfer? How often does the bus come?

For students who may bike, is there a bike path, or would it be on the main roads?

woah there. Odd way of phrasing the questions.

I'm looking into the Goldleaf apartments.. seems like they pretty much run all of the properties within the area by the HSLC... like a monopoly. No complaints about these guys, right? I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see what they've got available... but I think I'll definitely have to have a roommate in order to be able to afford these places- the efficiency and 1BR's are quite expensive.

While we're on that topic, how big of a deal is it to get a covered parking spot vs uncovered in Madison?