University of Wisconsin 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not to shift things away from the pelvis talk... but I was thinking that maybe those of us in town already could go get a beer out at the terrace sometime. We've had some pretty amazing weather the past few weeks.

i'm spending my summer in the lab, so my time is pretty flexible. if anyone else is interested, feel free to post a good time.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be totally up for a beer with SDNers. I'm available pretty much any night. I know that doesn't help much. I don't know if one night works any better than any other for summer anatomy people...

izibo said:
Not to shift things away from the pelvis talk... but I was thinking that maybe those of us in town already could go get a beer out at the terrace sometime. We've had some pretty amazing weather the past few weeks.

i'm spending my summer in the lab, so my time is pretty flexible. if anyone else is interested, feel free to post a good time.

PH7.4 said:
I'd be totally up for a beer with SDNers. I'm available pretty much any night. I know that doesn't help much. I don't know if one night works any better than any other for summer anatomy people...

I think it will be fun. Our next test is July 7th, it is a Friday. Maybe that evening?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am up for July 7th. After that I am gone for 3 weeks so that's actually the last day I could personally do it.

Anyone else up for July 7th?

Anybody still looking for housing? I will admit that my place is not close to the hospital or the school, but if you're looking for something that allows you to separate the two, please respond here!

I have a one bedroom on the eastern edge of Madison that I'm moving out of...I work at the hospital and have started taking my pre reqs (non trad here!), and have found a place that is closer to the hospital.

PM me for more info, or drop me a line here and I'll respond!

Even if you're not interested and you know of someone who's looking for a place in Madison, send them my way as well!

Thanks, and congrats to all of you first years! I hope someday I can claim the same...but first, let me get through Chemistry! (Yes, just CHEMISTRY, not even organic or bio!!!) :eek:

WooHoo!!!!

We are done with head & neck, but it sucks that we have to wait until monday to find out the scores on our written exams. I guess ignorance is bliss!

Hi all!

Are there good neighborhoods around Lake Mendota? Also, how long would a commute like that take? Any suggestions on what part of town I should look?
Thanks!!

Can't wait to meet everyone!
:love:

garbage20 said:
Hi all!

Are there good neighborhoods around Lake Mendota? Also, how long would a commute like that take? Any suggestions on what part of town I should look?
Thanks!!

Can't wait to meet everyone!
:love:
I live in Middleton and love it. It's 5-6 miles west of school around the lake and on the bus line, usually takes me about 20-25 minutes to get in to school on the bus or by bike. Sometimes I'm jealous of those within walking distance, though.

Seems like all leases start on 8/15, and many many apts are available right now. How is the vacancy rate?

Is it possible to show up 2-3 days beforehand, walk around the 5 or 6 blocks where I'd like to live, and immediately land an apt?

Or will a low vacancy rate force me to lease via the internet without first seeing the place?

Any suggestions on which apt complexes are good and close to the UW Hospital?

Thanks.

I'm not referring to 120 Gorham, but the Steve-Brown apts within walking distance to the UW Hospital (Otto House, University Manor, Russell Terrace, and Birge). Anyone have experience or word-of-mouth on whether these apts are any good? I've heard nasty things about the property mgmt company being rude and unresponsive. Please comment! THanks :) :)

pike1 said:
Summer anatomy is over!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Congratulations!!11!!one!eleven1!!
Your prize for enduring that is...the easiest first semester of medical school ever, anywhere.

Hey Makaka-

You'll never believe what happened to me yesterday. My awesome ford tarus was destroyed in some freak flooding that occured on university ave. The mechanics told me that my motor is completely ruined. I spent the day securing some funds so that I can get a different car. I have not even been able to go home yet, since I no longer have a car. I hope to find a new car before school starts back up. I hope everything is going well for you in SF.

-pike1

Hey guys, I was so stressed out because i coudlnt' find any fellow UW-mad M1 folks to talk to. I kept looking at the barely updated uwmedstudent listings and just thought, wow, did everyone go on vacation all at once?

ANyways, you guys should bounce over to the uwmedstudents.com forum and start talking there so i wont feel like i'm posting reply threads to myself.

Also, I might need some help moving in to my apartment on the west side. does anyone want a free lunch and dinner by helpnig me?

Go badgers, i got lots of things to talk about!

AxlxA said:
I kept looking at the barely updated uwmedstudent listings and just thought, wow, did everyone go on vacation all at once?
Ouch! Stabbed in the back on SDN. ;)
You'll be a good addition to the MIG (Medical Informatics Group), methinks.

what's that MIG thing?

Another question: How do we find out what books we will be needing? I just wanna make sure not to buy the same books as I used in college.

I just stumbled accross this thread and wanted to welcome the new M1s to the UWSMPH. I'm a M3 here, and my experience has been outstanding so far. To those of you that took summer anatomy...good choice! It really makes the fist semester alot easier.

As for the books, most of the classes have handouts, so you don't end up buying textbooks as often as you would think. Plus most of the important texts are available free online from the Ebling library.

It's really a great school, with some really good teachers, and a good support system; if you have any q's, I'd be happy to try and answer.

Have fun!
OC.

AxlxA said:
what's that MIG thing?

Another question: How do we find out what books we will be needing? I just wanna make sure not to buy the same books as I used in college.
MIG is a fairly new student org that runs the uwmedstudents.com web site (including the new forums), organizes events like PDA demos, and advises administration on student technology policy.

I'm with Ottercreek on the books. I only bought 2 books first year: a Netter for anatomy and the required Psychiatry book for second semester. From time to time, I referred to my college biochem text or looked at references in the library, but pretty rarely. The lecture note packets are comprehensive.

EDIT: You can also get your Netter free by joining AMSA, or at least you could last year. I really wouldn't buy *anything* at this point.

wow a free netter! awesome. I'm glad professors prefer these "handouts." I grew so accustom to that style of teaching from berkeley.

I need someone to help me move possibly... anyone wanna volunteer? ;)

Since you said you woudln't buy anything at this point, would you suggest bringing college text books or college notes? I'm traveling 2000 miles, it's going to be hard to want something at the last minute that's sitting at home in some box stored away in the garage.

Honestly, I wouldn't bring any old material. We were never tested on something that wasn't in the class notes and objectives! If you need clarification on something, again, the library system here makes everything really facile.
Ciao,
OC.

Okay thanks for the info then. I will not bring any notes with me.