university of washington vs cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellosunshine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just one more day to make a decision. I go back and forth. I can't even sleep anymore. Help!

About me: I grew up in Seattle, went to UW for undergrad. I'm interested in primary care, but specialties, too. Interested in clinical research, and underserved (more urban than rural) populations.

My conundrum: I really liked what I saw of Cornell during my interview and the 2nd-look. I liked the PBLs, the students I met (very relaxed, enthusiastic, happy), the lovely facilities, the international opportunities, the affiliations with a million other nyc-region hospitals, the diversity of the patient and student populations. I like that it is something different than Seattle. BUT, UW is a really great school, too, at about half the price. And would I feel dumb if I went to Cornell and decided I wanted to do primary care and had opted out of the #1 ranked primary care school, which was more affordable?

What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

I have just one more day to make a decision. I go back and forth. I can't even sleep anymore. Help!

About me: I grew up in Seattle, went to UW for undergrad. I'm interested in primary care, but specialties, too. Interested in clinical research, and underserved (more urban than rural) populations.

My conundrum: I really liked what I saw of Cornell during my interview and the 2nd-look. I liked the PBLs, the students I met (very relaxed, enthusiastic, happy), the lovely facilities, the international opportunities, the affiliations with a million other nyc-region hospitals, the diversity of the patient and student populations. I like that it is something different than Seattle. BUT, UW is a really great school, too, at about half the price. And would I feel dumb if I went to Cornell and decided I wanted to do primary care and had opted out of the #1 ranked primary care school, which was more affordable?

What would you do?

Given the cost difference, I'd definitely go with UWashington.

I'm not an expert on UW-related matters and I have never been to Seattle, but I wouldn't think UW is chopped liver when it comes to specializing, either. Half the cost? Easy, go to UW. Go to NYC for residency (at least get paid to live in NYC, haha)

Members don't see this ad :)
Primary care residencies are the least competitive residencies in the country. Going to the "#1 primary care school" is almost a useless distinction for attaining the residency position of your choice, particularly if you change your mind and decide to go into a specialty.

I would make this decision based on #1: geographic region, and #2: $$$. You can't go wrong with either school, but there may be a regional bias when applying for the most competitive residencies. So if you're dead-set on setting up shop in NY or the east coast long-term, and don't mind spending the extra money, go Cornell. If you think you'll be on the west coast long term, go UW.

What would you do?

It seems like you really like the students, curriculum, facitilies, opportunities, and hospitals at Cornell. The only plus you've mentioned about UW is cost. While cost is definitely a factor, you should really go where you'll be happy for the next four years, and it sounds like you'll be happiest at Cornell.

Also, in terms of underserved populations, UW seems to have more rural opportunities, whereas in NYC it will be an urban population, so that might also be a consideration. You'll be able to match well into primary care from from either school.

Good luck with your decision!

Cost is definitely one of the big factors in choosing a med school IMO, along with location. Down the road, you'll hear multiple statements such as "follow your heart, trust your gut," "go where you'll be happy for the next four years," and the infamous "it's not like you can't pay off your debt once you become a doctor." If finaid packages are the same or close to equivalent, then I would agree with following your gut, but if we're talking about upwards of $50,000-$100,000+ difference between the 2 schools, can you honestly say you will stay happy after those four years of med school when you're paying back your loans after residency? Don't let those comments of "how even with paying back loans, you're not gonna be living like a bum" justify it, bc it doesn't unless you don't want to start a family, buy a house. Just because on average a med student finishes med school with ~$100,000 in debt doesn't mean you have to join the club. In the end, no one can really tell you which school is best for you (to each his own), but as a baseline, either school you choose will give you a decent medical education. that's my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.