University of Toronto Pharmacy Class of 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did any of you apply to waterloo too?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How screwed am i?
PCAT:
Bio: 90
Chem: 86
Quan: 94
Critical: 18 lol
Comp: 80

Hi everyone! Class of 2T2 here. Congrats to those who received an invitation for the MMI. If you have any questions on how to prepare, feel free to ask away. :)

Hey! What kind of questions were you asked during the MMI? I just started to prepare and feeling quite nervous <:

Hey! What kind of questions were you asked during the MMI? I just started to prepare and feeling quite nervous <:
Hey, although I can not share with you the exact questions they asked, as we had to sign a consent form regarding not disclosing the specific questions, there are lots of resources online that align with the kinds of questions you should expect. I highly recommend youtubing "Course Grinder" and going through all of those videos. The videos describe in detail how your thinking process should be for each scenario. Also, BeMo Training (you can find it on google) is also a great resource to check out!

How screwed am i?
PCAT:
Bio: 90
Chem: 86
Quan: 94
Critical: 18 lol
Comp: 80
The minimum for Critical is 20. you may have to re-do the PCAT because of that. Other than that, your other scores are great. But at UofT, if you dont meet the cut off for atleast 1 of the sections, you are required to re-do the pcat.

Is there anyone from York University that wanna meet up for mmi practice?

Hey, although I can not share with you the exact questions they asked, as we had to sign a consent form regarding not disclosing the specific questions, there are lots of resources online that align with the kinds of questions you should expect. I highly recommend youtubing "Course Grinder" and going through all of those videos. The videos describe in detail how your thinking process should be for each scenario. Also, BeMo Training (you can find it on google) is also a great resource to check out!

Yeh I found there MMI examples really helpful for my MMI prep: MMI Questions: 100 Sample Multiple Mini Interview Practice Questions!

Meds check are being taken away (huge source of income) and pharmacies are getting billed 10cents every time they bill ODB (gonna cost most pharmacies 1000-9000 a month in revenue).

So TLDR, your salary is gonna drop big times after these funding cuts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Meds check are being taken away (huge source of income) and pharmacies are getting billed 10cents every time they bill ODB (gonna cost most pharmacies 1000-9000 a month in revenue).

So TLDR, your salary is gonna drop big times after these funding cuts.

Did you miss the part about the expanding scope for RPh's in the next year? Here are some articles incase you're interested: Ontario to give pharmacists ability to prescribe medication for common ailments

It's not all doom and gloom and I can tell you as a first year UW pharmacy student, there are far more positive outlooks than negative in terms of the future. Over-saturation is casting a shadow on several health care professions not just pharmacy in particular. Yes, IPG's dominate the profession here in ON, and it is EXTREMELY frustrating especially when you compare the standard of education to that of a CAN grad. However with the recent implementation of the PharmD in North America and the necessities of additional training/qualifications that will come with the expanding scope of practice in the next year, the demand for a CAN grad will surpass that of a less expensive and less qualified IPG.

Why don't you let people decide for themselves? Yes it's true the GTA is saturated, however, I know MANY recent grads who have had no difficulties finding jobs outside. The majority of 4th year Rx's at UW have jobs lined up for them following graduation. My class was also made aware of the number of applicants to UW over the last 5 years and I can promise you the competition is still high and following an upward trend with the number of applicants/year similar to other HCP programs like optom.

Stop bringing so much negativity to a forum where people come to find support and guidance. Most of those here have spent hundreds of dollars on applications and are well aware of the job market situation. You clearly have some sort of resentment towards the profession as you've continuously felt the need to state your "opinion" over and over, ie. telling others to do something else. Is turning people away from the profession really that important to you? State your opinion once and leave it at that my dude. There are far better things in life to commit this much concern towards. I can't stress enough how important it is to look up these facts from reliable sources.

For some people, this is all they want to to do regardless of the ****ty prospects of landing a job in the GTA. For me, working as a pharmacist far beats working in a lab somewhere for minimum wage with just my BSc.

Reactions: 3 users
Did you miss the part about the expanding scope for RPh's in the next year? Here are some articles incase you're interested: Ontario to give pharmacists ability to prescribe medication for common ailments

It's not all doom and gloom and I can tell you as a first year UW pharmacy student, there are far more positive outlooks than negative in terms of the future. Over-saturation is casting a shadow on several health care professions not just pharmacy in particular. Yes, IPG's dominate the profession here in ON, and it is EXTREMELY frustrating especially when you compare the standard of education to that of a CAN grad. However with the recent implementation of the PharmD in North America and the necessities of additional training/qualifications that will come with the expanding scope of practice in the next year, the demand for a CAN grad will surpass that of a less expensive and less qualified IPG.

Why don't you let people decide for themselves? Yes it's true the GTA is saturated, however, I know MANY recent grads who have had no difficulties finding jobs outside. The majority of 4th year Rx's at UW have jobs lined up for them following graduation. My class was also made aware of the number of applicants to UW over the last 5 years and I can promise you the competition is still high and following an upward trend with the number of applicants/year similar to other HCP programs like optom.

Stop bringing so much negativity to a forum where people come to find support and guidance. Most of those here have spent hundreds of dollars on applications and are well aware of the job market situation. You clearly have some sort of resentment towards the profession as you've continuously felt the need to state your "opinion" over and over, ie. telling others to do something else. Is turning people away from the profession really that important to you? State your opinion once and leave it at that my dude. There are far better things in life to commit this much concern towards. I can't stress enough how important it is to look up these facts from reliable sources.

For some people, this is all they want to to do regardless of the ****ty prospects of landing a job in the GTA. For me, working as a pharmacist far beats working in a lab somewhere for minimum wage with just my BSc.

alright, I just wanna throw my 2 cents here as a 2T0 student doing APPE right now.

I think you are kinda too optimistic here. Imagine if you are an employer, either in sdm, rexall or independent. As long as the person is competent enough to do the job in retail, which is hardly too clinical and essentially business transaction and admin work 80% of the time, does the degree or qualification from a typical CAN grad or IPG matter that much? No, not at all. In fact, since some employers in GTA love to lowball hourly wage so much to take advantage of the glut, only IPGs are willing to take them so essentially they are maybe even more competitive compared to CAN grad from employer's perspective tbh. I personally know several experienced pharmacy tech who couldn't get in a canadian school so they went to UK to get the cheaper alternative. When they come back, do you really think a typical canadian grad would out-compete them in reality?

Btw, I personally don't buy the typical crap from ON gov for any sorts of expanded scope. It simply means more $$$ to the employer, but it will hardly translate to any sorts of hourly wage increase for pharmacists. In fact, the more expanded scope we get, the worse we end up, cuz that means we have to do more workload for the same wage. The market is driven by demand and supply, not by any sorts of fancy expanded scope crap. Unless the gov enforces any sorts of quota system to restrict the supply, ie, limiting admission numbers or restricting IPGs entry to the job market, the glut will only get worse and worse.

You are very very naive is all I have to say. Have you even worked in a pharmacy before? What makes you think corporate cares about increasing your salary with these minor ailments? If anything the government wants to save money from paying physicians so they throw these duties at other professionals. The new scholarships U of T is offering should be quite reflective of how many students taught on with the saturation and let me tell you the saturation is way too real. To all the prepharms out there, I wouldn't listen to a first year pharmacy student. Talk to the new grads and ask them about the job market.

Guys think about your career!!! This is a couple faculty members addressing various issues facing pharmacy right now. When students ask them about Ontario licensing more IPGs than Ontario grads, those politically correct people gave the most bull**** answer and start to defend IPG saying they contribute to diversity.

Think about the market you are about to enter and think about the people who are supposed to advocate for you but instead advocate for IPGs.
This faculty does not care about the students at all...

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! As the 2T2 Class Council President (Fabian) and Vice-President (Samantha), we wanted to officially congratulate those of you have received your offers of admission! To stay connected with all things 2T3, be sure to join our official Facebook page at the link below! The Facebook page will have some other upper year UofT Pharmacy students to help answer any of your questions as well! We will also be sharing information on Phrosh Week and CPR/First Aid certification sessions, as well as other helpful resources, so stay tuned! Again, congratulations on your acceptances and we look forward to hopefully meeting all of you!
1f389.png

Hi!
For those of you that got accepted, would u mind posting ur stats for future applicants?
Hi there!

Since I got accepted, I will share my stats.

This cycle is my third time applying to U of T pharmacy. 2017, 2018, and now 2019.

Academics: I have wacky academics. I am an U of T grad with Bachelor degree and cGPA (U of T) of 3.38. Then, I decided to do Masters, but I withdrew from graduate program after 10 months in and took 2 pre-reqs in to apply for U of T and other Canadian schools. In U of T, my 3rd was full course load (10 half-year credits) and 4th year was not full load (8 half-year credits). I also had one credit course without marks and one late-withdrawal course in 4th year. I was surprised I got in despite withdrawal showing in the transcript and lack of full course load.

PCAT composite was 94th percentile. Writing: 3.5 out of 6.

MMI: Since it was third time doing it in U of T, I was pretty relaxed. Felt good after finishing it. Not excellent though. Out of 10 questions, I finished 7 of them early. All of them had 1 or 2 followup questions that I elaborated further upon original answer to make up for the whole 5 min answering time per MMI sessions. So, for future applicants, don't be scared if you finish saying your answers early and have nothing to say because interviewers always have 1 follow up question. It is much better to keep your answers short and be precise instead of repeating what you said earlier again to make up for the remaining time.

I didnt give up after being rejected 2 times and kept trying. Glad I finally made it in third try. All the best wishes to future applicants!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi!
For those of you that got accepted, would u mind posting ur stats for future applicants?

Hey! I was accepted to U of T and UWaterloo :)

A) Undergraduate Cumulative Average: 90%
B) PCAT:
1) Biological Processes - 98
2) Critical Reading - 38 (LOL)
3) Quantitive Reasoning - 67
4) Chemical Processes - 99
5) Writing - 3.0
*Composite - 93

MMI: Overall it went better than I thought it would! Definitely bombed at least 2 stations, so don't worry if you don't perform well in every station! I found the following resources helpful in preparing for the MMI:
1) BeMo's Ultimate Guide to Multiple Mini Interview
2) Course Grinder MMI Youtube Videos

Reactions: 1 user
I got into both UofT and UWaterloo as well so I’ll share some insight, as I found these threads helpful to refer to when I was applying :)

cGPA: 3.77, 85%
PCAT composite: 97th percentile, writing 4.0
MMI: It went alright, when reflecting on the experience though I thought I could have done a lot better. One station I completely bombed, and another question I realized I misinterpreted the MMI prompt when I was asked a follow up question. The rest went either good/ok.

My biggest suggestion for MMI is the practice, practice, practice. Especially with other people - I ended up practicing with other strangers who were also applying to pharmacy school and thought it was really nice to get and objective view of how I was responding. I agree with the previous post’s suggestion on using BeMo and course grinder. Also your university will host practice MMI’s likely so take advantage of those opportunities as well.

I hope this helps for future applicants :) feel free to message me if you have any questions

For those of you who got into both UofT and UWaterloo, which are you choosing and why? I’m having trouble deciding.

Hi!

Hey! I’m a little late but here are my stats:

Cgpa: 3.7 or 84% (after 2 years of undergrad)

PCAT: Biology- 92
Chemistry- 96
Quantative reasoning- 47
Critical Reading-65
Composite- 84
Writing- 3
I used Kaplan to study and crack the PCAT

MMI: it went okay. I felt like I bombed two stations but the rest were pretty okay. My advice to go about preparing for this would be to practice with others and use MMI resources found online like careerhub. Also if your school does a mock one, it probably be in your best interest to attend it lol.

Don't know if any current pharmacy students are still looking at this forum thread, but would it be detrimental to exempt PHM146? I did take an equivalent course some time ago, but I see from the course syllabus it goes in depth into the specific agonists/antagonists. I also see it's written as a prereq for some 2nd year courses as well, would I be missing out on important concepts if I don't take it?

Is there anybody waitlisted here, have you heard anything yet?

Don't know if any current pharmacy students are still looking at this forum thread, but would it be detrimental to exempt PHM146? I did take an equivalent course some time ago, but I see from the course syllabus it goes in depth into the specific agonists/antagonists. I also see it's written as a prereq for some 2nd year courses as well, would I be missing out on important concepts if I don't take it?

2T1 here and if Mary Erclik is still teaching 146 then you are NOT missing out by getting an exemption for it lol. Even if she isn't teaching it you really aren't missing out on anything that won't be touched on in later courses so I would give yourself the break and enjoy taking one less class (not that first semester of first year is crazy and you'll need the break)

3rd year UofT pharmacy student here, just wanted to share some thoughts that I wish I'd known before starting pharmacy.
1567520850391.png

I would like to offer my 2 cents as a 1T9 that has just graduated.
Job market: not that terrible, most people I know found work relatively quickly (it hasn't even been 6 months since graduation yet)
Work load: IMO at the places I have been at (5 different shoppers, 1 Rexall, 1 Walmart) the workload is at a manageable level even for a relative greenhorn such as myself.

TLDR probably not as bad as you heard.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I am looking to apply to UofT pharm, soon. I was wondering what my odds of getting an interview invite would be with my current stats:

Pcat
Bio: 88
Chem:99
CR:67
Quant: 72 (disappointed here, as i know i could have done much better)
writing: TBD (scored 4 on 3x Pearson practise PCAT's)
Preliminary Comp: 89
Average: ~75% (After three years of biochem)

Ideally, I can raise my average up 1 or 2 percent after this semester and potentially a bit more after my next semester. I did alot of my upper year classes earlier on and have the ability to finally take electives. Though, i would rather just apply now if i know i can get an interview. Also i did have a couple part time semesters where i was working full time in a pharmacy and in a factory one term. Can this hinder my chances?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Last edited: