University of Toronto Pharmacy Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, what are my chances?
GPA 3.71
BIO 94
CHEM 90
QR 84
CR 81
COMP 92

Very good! given you don't totally mess up the MMI

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
cGPA: 84.5%
Bio: 96
Chem: 99
CR: 82
Quant: 94

Comp: 98

What're the chances of getting in with those scores and cgpa?

Hello,
cGPA: 84.5%
CR: 82
Quant: 94

Comp: 98

What're the chances of getting in with those scores and cgpa?

your scores should be more than enough to get in as long as you do well on the MMI

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the minimum pcat percentile to have to get an MMI, with say 3.5GPA at U of T

Technically as long as you get the published minimum scores for each section, you're more than likely get an MMI. Of course, people tend to aim for at least 90 or a high 80th percentile to secure an admission of offer.

a competitive average would be around ~80% (it is not so much your GPA but the scores in your transcript or the converted scores). People tend to have 80+ percentile overall on their PCATs but the PCAT is probably worth the least in the grand scheme of your chances. your MMI is more likely than not what will make or break it

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in 4th year too. Is it too early to ask about what your backup plans are? lol

4th year coop chemistry I work in nuclear chemistry so my back up is to work at bruce power. I'm applying to try and get away from all the radiation and HF I have to work with lol I decided my health is not worth the money

Hi, I'm currently in my second year so this is my first time applying. I would like some feedback on my stats and I'd be thankful for any MMI tips since that is what I'm most worried about. I also only took 4 courses in my first semester of first year (I had to drop a course right before the drop deadline) so I'm wondering if this could hurt my chances. I've taken 5 in every semester afterwards.

Average: 89.6
PCAT scores:
Bio: 98
CR:97
QR: 97
Composite : 99
Writing: 3.0 (should I be worried about this?)

Hey everyone! I've been following the thread for a while (not creepy :whistle:) but wanted to write the PCAT before posting so I can get your opinions on my situation! Finally wrote it the other day - woo! Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.38 (~79%)
PCAT
CR: 87
Quant: 99
Composite: 99

I hope my PCAT scores make up for my fairly low-average GPA :( but what I'm also worried about is that I didn't have a full course load during my last year in undergrad (had 4 courses each semester) and this past year when I had to take Calc II last winter, then Thermo and English last fall. I mean, I graduated in 2014 so obviously there was no need for me to carry a full course load this past year; I only needed to complete those prerequisites that I was missing. Unfortunately I can't really explain that to Admissions. Anyone know if that would weigh heavily against me?

Also... is it only people who scored high on the PCAT who post on this forum or did everyone score 90s and my PCAT marks aren't actually special??? Lol

Oh and these are my preliminary scores.. any chance they'd change on the official score report? (Fingers crossed they won't and that I at least got a 3 on the Writing haha)

Hey guys, just got my official score report... and very very very sad to find out my writing score is at 2.5. I'm well aware that nothing else matters at this point (and that 99 composite is all for naught!!!) since 2.5 is below the minimum score. I guess it just wasn't meant to be :( it's hard to believe that someone actually scored my essay as a 2! I've seen the sample 2.0 on the official PCAT guide and I reallyyyy don't think my essay was nearly as bad although I know this was my weakest section. This is a long shot but anyone know if there's a way to appeal the writing score? Or any chance the minimum for this year will be less than the posted 3 from the last admission cycles? Lol. In any case, wishing everyone else the best of luck :)

Last edited:
Hey guys, just got my official score report... and very very very sad to find out my writing score is at 2.5. I'm well aware that nothing else matters at this point (and that 99 composite is all for naught!!!) since 2.5 is below the minimum score. I guess it just wasn't meant to be :( it's hard to believe that someone actually scored my essay as a 2! I've seen the sample 2.0 on the official PCAT guide and I reallyyyy don't think my essay was nearly as bad although I know this was my weakest section. This is a long shot but anyone know if there's a way to appeal the writing score? Or any chance the minimum for this year will be less than the posted 3 from the last admission cycles? Lol. In any case, wishing everyone else the best of luck :)
I think you can pay money to have your essay regraded I think it costs like 50 bucks. google this pcat essay can you get it regraded and click the first link (website wouldn't let me post a link) There's pretty much no chance of them lowering the minimum from a 3 though so I guess regrading is your only shot

I think you can pay money to have your essay regraded I think it costs like 50 bucks. google this pcat essay can you get it regraded and click the first link (website wouldn't let me post a link) There's pretty much no chance of them lowering the minimum from a 3 though so I guess regrading is your only shot

Ah thank you so much!! Not much to lose at this point so I’m definitely gonna have it rescored and see how that goes.

Does anyone know the earliest time when applicants hear back for interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! A fellow 1t9 here. Just wanted to say something regarding MMI! Please try and practice before hand! My stats were not the greatest (had two D's on my transcript). But i know i did well on the MMI! The most important thing is confidence, and also being a good communicator. Pharmacists have to know how to communicate with patients' effectively. It's their job. So even if you see a prompt on the door you have no idea how to answer, try and think outside the box and work your way through it. Try practice MMI's online and record and time yourself. I went though at least 50 practice questions, and I never saw the same one at the actual MMI, but it still helped me learn how to organize my thoughts. If you have a problem with interviews (which I did), practicing really helped. There is no right answer but there is a right way to deliver an answer, so I think that focusing on MMI's is most important! Dont get too hung up on your stats! GOODLUCK everyone! Hope to see you next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone! Just wondering... how many of you are applying after graduating? How many second and third year undergrads are applying this year? It's my first time applying and I'm in third year. I know it doesn't have an impact on your application, I'm just curious! Also interested to hear from current PharmD students about how many of their classmates already have a degree.
the majority do already have a degree, but that being said, there are quite a few people I know who got in after just 2 years of undergrad (myself included)

general tips for the mmi:
-first of all, be confident! even if you don't feel confident, then at least act confident, speak confidently, look confident, dress confident
-secondly, be honest, and if you're not sure about something, then say so, and talk about what information you would require to answer their question, or what factors your decision would depend on - a lot of the times there may not be a right answer and they may just looking for your thought process
-most importantly, try to think about the characteristics that are required of a health care professional and try to show them that you have these characteristics, like empathy, compassion and altruism - if your interview was perfect but you said something that would be unacceptable of a health care professional, it could completely ruin your chances - and this includes your behaviour towards other applicants in the debate and collab stations - treat them with respect the way you'd treat a fellow pharmacist - act professionally!
-don't ramble on, it's ok if you finish early, but they shouldn't have to cut you off cuz you keep talking and talking

things I did to prepare:
-practice, practice, practice - there are lots of mmi prompts online - practice those!
-keep up to date on recent news in healthcare, especially major debate issues in healthcare
-watch medicine and health care system related ted talks - they'll help you with vocabulary and to articulate ideas
-I also watched all the ethics e-learning modules on the ocp website - even if you don't get any of those types of Qs in the mmi, it'll b one less thing to do in first year
-explore the ocp website's practice & education and regulation & standards tabs

even if you come out of one part of the mmi thinking you did horrible, forget that and focus on the next mmi prompt and don't give up on yourself!
most of my classmates I've talked to felt like they did horrible in the mmi too, and yet we all got in!
and for those of you who think it'll be great once you get accepted, think again because this first year of pharmacy has been tougher than anything else in my life, and apparently it only gets harder and harder every year! so good luck guys!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! Just wondering... how many of you are applying after graduating? How many second and third year undergrads are applying this year? It's my first time applying and I'm in third year. I know it doesn't have an impact on your application, I'm just curious! Also interested to hear from current PharmD students about how many of their classmates already have a degree.

Hello! The 2T1 class council did an entrance survey that most of the class responded to - approximately 30% either had 2 or 3 years of undergrad experience, 65% had a bachelors, and 5% had masters. It's a pretty reasonable mix of people, and I don't think education level was a huge deal for the application process. Everyone who gets an interview is more or less on an even playing field, and MMI's will be your time to shine!

Last edited:
Hi, I'm currently in my second year so this is my first time applying. I would like some feedback on my stats and I'd be thankful for any MMI tips since that is what I'm most worried about. I also only took 4 courses in my first semester of first year (I had to drop a course right before the drop deadline) so I'm wondering if this could hurt my chances. I've taken 5 in every semester afterwards.

Average: 89.6
PCAT scores:
Bio: 98
CR:97
QR: 97
Composite : 99
Writing: 3.0 (should I be worried about this?)

Your average and PCAT are amazing, you have nothing to worry about. Just focus on the MMI now. To prep for MMIs, I found the book Medical Ethics for Dummies extremely helpful, as well as the youtube video series on MMI's by Course Grinder. He goes through tips in terms of non-verbals and expressing your thought process properly, as well as gives you systematic methods to tackle specific types of questions.

Also - here's a huge list of practice MMI questions that I used last year that I found prepared me very well for the interview session. Good luck preparing and I'll try to answer any questions y'all have :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone, I'm a 1T8 (fourth year) who was in the same position as you a few years back. I might not be able to answer any specific questions about the application process given that it's been several years since I applied, but feel free to message me if you want to know anything about the program, career paths, or the pharmacy profession in general!

Hi everyone, I'm a 1T8 (fourth year) who was in the same position as you a few years back. I might not be able to answer any specific questions about the application process given that it's been several years since I applied, but feel free to message me if you want to know anything about the program, career paths, or the pharmacy profession in general!
Hey since you will be graduating soon I was wondering how the job market for pharmacists in ontario is looking? I know in the states and stuff it's pretty bad and in Canada it's getting worse. What's your take on it and what kinds of salaries are you expecting when you graduate?

Hi, I'd like to know if there are career opportunities other than retail for Pharm D grads. I'm really interested in the profession but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy working in a retail setting. Do you also know how the scope of practice for pharmacists has changed in recent years?

Hey since you will be graduating soon I was wondering how the job market for pharmacists in ontario is looking? I know in the states and stuff it's pretty bad and in Canada it's getting worse. What's your take on it and what kinds of salaries are you expecting when you graduate?

It's not that great in the GTA at the moment for community pharmacy. The saturation is pretty bad and salaries are getting worse and worse. That being said, it's not impossible to land a decent paying full-time job after graduation if you know the right people, which makes networking during your time at the faculty immensely important. However, if you're willing to travel (or from another part of Ontario), then the job prospects are still quite good. I know people who have been offered $50/hr or more full-time right after graduating. In the GTA, you'd be lucky if you were offered $40/hr, let alone a full-time position.

But if community pharmacy isn't your thing, you can always go into hospital pharmacy or industry. However, there tend to be more barriers to entry for other fields. Hospital pharmacies, especially academic hospitals in the GTA, may require you to complete a residency program. You can still get a hospital job without a residency, but your application will be less competitive than someone who has one. The same thing is true for industry jobs, although proper networking can get you pretty far in these cases. One thing you'll soon learn is that pharmacy is a small world and people will remember you if you've made an impression, good or bad. :p

Hi, I'd like to know if there are career opportunities other than retail for Pharm D grads. I'm really interested in the profession but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy working in a retail setting. Do you also know how the scope of practice for pharmacists has changed in recent years?

Me neither! I've worked in community (retail) for the past 3 years and I can say that it's definitely not for me. While most (~70% or more) pharmacists end up practicing in community, there are several other career paths you can take. I've already mentioned two of them above (hospital and industry), but there's also the opportunity to work for the government, academia, or any mix of different roles. Pharmacy/health informatics is another emerging field where pharmacists are in high demand.

The scope of practice for pharmacy can be very different depending on which province you practice in. Unfortunately, Ontario is one of the slowest to adopt expanded scope practices for pharmacists. However, pharmacists in some other provinces can independently prescribe any medication, order/interpret lab tests, and administer any drug or vaccine via injection.

Hey guys. I'm pretty nervous about hearing back from U of T so I'd like an opinion of what my chances are. My grades and PCAT have been all over the place and am curious to know if that will ever come up during an interview.

cGPA: 79%
Bio: 90
Reading: 48
QR: 77
Composite: 91
Writing: 3.0

Thanks for your help!

Hey guys. I'm pretty nervous about hearing back from U of T so I'd like an opinion of what my chances are. My grades and PCAT have been all over the place and am curious to know if that will ever come up during an interview.

cGPA: 79%
Bio: 90
Reading: 48
QR: 77
Composite: 91
Writing: 3.0

Thanks for your help!

You've met all the minimum requirements, so you will get an interview. They wont ask you about marks or PCAT during the interview, those types of questions would be found in a traditional interview but not an MMI.

It's not that great in the GTA at the moment for community pharmacy. The saturation is pretty bad and salaries are getting worse and worse. That being said, it's not impossible to land a decent paying full-time job after graduation if you know the right people, which makes networking during your time at the faculty immensely important. However, if you're willing to travel (or from another part of Ontario), then the job prospects are still quite good. I know people who have been offered $50/hr or more full-time right after graduating. In the GTA, you'd be lucky if you were offered $40/hr, let alone a full-time position.

But if community pharmacy isn't your thing, you can always go into hospital pharmacy or industry. However, there tend to be more barriers to entry for other fields. Hospital pharmacies, especially academic hospitals in the GTA, may require you to complete a residency program. You can still get a hospital job without a residency, but your application will be less competitive than someone who has one. The same thing is true for industry jobs, although proper networking can get you pretty far in these cases. One thing you'll soon learn is that pharmacy is a small world and people will remember you if you've made an impression, good or bad. :p

Me neither! I've worked in community (retail) for the past 3 years and I can say that it's definitely not for me. While most (~70% or more) pharmacists end up practicing in community, there are several other career paths you can take. I've already mentioned two of them above (hospital and industry), but there's also the opportunity to work for the government, academia, or any mix of different roles. Pharmacy/health informatics is another emerging field where pharmacists are in high demand.

The scope of practice for pharmacy can be very different depending on which province you practice in. Unfortunately, Ontario is one of the slowest to adopt expanded scope practices for pharmacists. However, pharmacists in some other provinces can independently prescribe any medication, order/interpret lab tests, and administer any drug or vaccine via injection.

How hard is it to get a spot in residency for hospital pharmacy?

How hard is it to get a spot in residency for hospital pharmacy?

It's quite competitive, and becoming increasingly so. In the past few years, the match rate has been about 1/3. People will tell you that marks are very important, but this isn't true in my experience. Of course, you can't be failing therapeutics courses left and right. But what's more important is that you're a well-rounded candidate who's seen and done a lot.

However, you don't absolutely need a residency to enter into the realm of hospital pharmacy. It's still very possible to get hired at community hospitals or hospitals outside of the downtown Toronto area.

Hello everyone!
I am a 1t9 so please feel free to ask me questions and I will try to reply to the best of my abilities.
My Stats:
GPA: 3.2
VA: 87
Bio: 74
RC: 45
QA: 97
Comp: 95
Writing 3.0

Interview: hard to say (and I don't really know how much I can divulge)

How many hours does it usually take and how is the settings like? How should one prepare for it? When is the best time to start preparing? Sorry the questions are quite much. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using SDN mobile

How many applicants do u think they are this year? And do everyone who meet the pre req on gpa and pcat get interview?

How many applicants do u think they are this year? And do everyone who meet the pre req on gpa and pcat get interview?

Idk if this is of interest or significance but I was signed up to volunteer for the MMI and they just emailed me saying my section was cancelled because of a lower number of interview-eligible candidates. Whether this means that they anticipated more people to be eligible than in previous years and added an extra time for interviews but ended up with the same amount as recent years or if they just had a lower number of eligible candidates than previous years is unknown but just thought I'd share.

And yes, if you meet the minimum requirements for cGPA and PCAT you'll get an interview.

Idk if this is of interest or significance but I was signed up to volunteer for the MMI and they just emailed me saying my section was cancelled because of a lower number of interview-eligible candidates. Whether this means that they anticipated more people to be eligible than in previous years and added an extra time for interviews but ended up with the same amount as recent years or if they just had a lower number of eligible candidates than previous years is unknown but just thought I'd share.

And yes, if you meet the minimum requirements for cGPA and PCAT you'll get an interview.
And do u know how many typically get an interview? 500?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how what the grading scheme is for UofT? What do the GPAs equal in percentages?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how what the grading scheme is for UofT? What do the GPAs equal in percentages?
Idk How UofT translates non-UoFT school GPAs to percentages. But with the Uoft 4.0 scale, it follows:
4.0 = 85+
3.7 = 80-84
3.3 = 77-79
3.0 = 73-76
2.7 = 70-72
2.3 = 67-69 and so forth
However, I'm pretty sure UofT doesn't look at your cGPA, but rather calculates your raw average from your percentage grades on your transcript (or letter grades by converting them to their corresponding percentage values).

Just wondering if any of the discussion questions in the MMI required you to draw from personal accomplishments/experience?

I'm checking the secret link from the UofT thread from 2 years before and I got an interview through there. Nothing from the official site though, it should be released by the tentative Mar 5th date like it says in the deadlines!

Copy and paste: applicant.phm.utoronto.ca/index.cfm?fuseaction=WspInterviewDecisionResult.showIntDecision

Last edited:
I'm checking the secret link from the UofT thread from 2 years before and I got an interview through there. Nothing from the official site though!

Copy and paste: applicant.phm.utoronto.ca/index.cfm?fuseaction=WspInterviewDecisionResult.showIntDecision

thanks! that worked for me...i guess we have to give the official site some time to update

I'm checking the secret link from the UofT thread from 2 years before and I got an interview through there. Nothing from the official site though, it should be released by the tentative Mar 5th date like it says in the deadlines!

Worked for me too!

Haha this is crazy.

didn't work for me ... says "no interview decision." what does that mean?

didn't work for me ... says "no interview decision." what does that mean?
Check again on the official admissions site and not that link, decisions for interviews have been officially released guys!

Anyone here from York want to meet up to practice? We have some extra time now that we're on strike lol

anyone from western that wants to practice, shoot me a message! :) or is anyone down to organize a google hangout group? we can schedule set times to practice together