University of Toronto Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hospital pharmacy techs make $27/h.

Credibility lost.

Who cares what pharmacists used to make or what experienced pharmacists make now. The only thing that matters is what pharmacists make coming out of school now since that will be the new "normal" in terms of salary.

By the way I have worked with a newly licensed pharmacist who was offered a 32/hr retail position. I'm not sure if she ended up taking it but she was seriously considering it so I wouldn't be surprised if she did.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if the wait-list is moving???

Did UofT give a deadline for accepting admission offers?

Does anybody know if the wait-list is moving???

Did UofT give a deadline for accepting admission offers?

Deadline is tomorrow. And I will be declining so hopefully someone from here gets my spot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Credibility lost.

Who cares what pharmacists used to make or what experienced pharmacists make now. The only thing that matters is what pharmacists make coming out of school now since that will be the new "normal" in terms of salary.

By the way I have worked with a newly licensed pharmacist who was offered a 32/hr retail position. I'm not sure if she ended up taking it but she was seriously considering it so I wouldn't be surprised if she did.
I can vouch for that...I volunteered in hospital pharmacy for ~2 years and pharm tech in hospitals make 25-30/hr

relief pharmacist are the pharmacists who just cover shifts here and there... basically for extra income or if they dont have a full time job
Yes, exactly. I was told a story about a relief pharmacist who actually made 1k for working a single day and he only filled 8 prescriptions :eek: Suffice to say, I was surprised :p

Congratulations to everybody who's in!

Here are my stats:

GPA - 77% (based on percentages), ~3.1 cGPA, though
PCAT - 90 composite (I think it was - 87 RC, 78 Quant, 80 Chem, 81 Bio, 95 verbal and then 3.5 + 3 for language + problem solving)
Interview - I'd say the acting one was a little awkward in a couple moments because I used a word that the actor responded very poorly to, so I had to backtrack a bit and rephrase (eek), and one of the team work ones was less than spectacular, haha. Other than that, I'd say it went pretty well. = )

I'd say that my PCAT and interview definitely served to offset my less-than-stellar GPA.

See you all in September!

Does anyone know how they will contact people who get in from the waiting list? What if I'm not home when they call :/ ahh freaking out..

Does anyone know how they will contact people who get in from the waiting list? What if I'm not home when they call :/ ahh freaking out..

The last day to accept the first round of offers is tomorrow, so hopefully you'll be contacted soon =)

Best of luck! :xf:

I believe they are calling people. But if they don't call, then I anticipate you'll get an email at least.

The last day to accept the first round of offers is tomorrow, so hopefully you'll be contacted soon =)

Best of luck! :xf:

I believe they are calling people. But if they don't call, then I anticipate you'll get an email at least.

i think it said in the letter that expect a call end of july or beginning of august...

Credibility lost.

I'm sitting beside a hospital pharm tech that makes that much. Credibility lost?? Stfu lol...

By the way, new grads shouldn't accept 32... That's totally taking advantage of their naivety... Negotiate...

With new curriculum greatly different from old curriculum, does this imply that it will be nearly impossible to find used textbooks? Only few courses are similar to old curriculum. I don't expect pharmacy txtbooks to be cheap either.

Uhhhh... Relief pharmacists make $50-60+/h even $70/h in Ontario, including time spent driving tot he pharmacy. It is only within the past year that it went down a bit but nowhere near $30!

Source: actual pharmacists.

Do you really think pharmacists make 32 bucks an hour?

Hospital pharmacy techs make $27/h.

A pharmacist can expect to make $85k at a hospital. Closer to $95k at a retail pharmacy, depending on certain factors. Within the past year things have changed for new grads but an experienced pharmacist who has worked at a retail shop for more than a few years is making that much money.

If the average income for pharmacists is lower, it's just because there are a lot of part-time pharmacists skewing the data. You can't trust the income info you find online. Even the income info provided by the government.

in vancouver, at Shoppers drug mart, pharmacists usually start off around 45$ an hour.

moving away from greater vancouver area, you can make more.

relief pharmacists can negotiate their wages, or if they are from a company their rates can be jacked.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when the tentative timetable is coming out? I want to know how bad the hours are

in vancouver, at Shoppers drug mart, pharmacists usually start off around 45$ an hour.

moving away from greater vancouver area, you can make more.

relief pharmacists can negotiate their wages, or if they are from a company their rates can be jacked.

Shoppers pharmacists make $39 in Richmond, so I'm not so sure about that 45 # in Vancouver.

Rates in the GTA area for community is around $38/hour. Some offers go as low as $36/hr, but I would seriously reconsider taking an offer this low as this reflects very poorly on the hiring manager and company for allowing it to drop this low.

Hospital pay is around $37-39/hr. But it comes with great stability and benefits. However, rates may drop since the negotiating power of hospital pharmacists has decreased given the decrease in pay for their colleagues in the community.

It is really easy to get a job as a licensed pharmacist, you guys shouldn't have to worry about it at all!:D After all there's only 2 schools in the whole province!

It is really easy to get a job as a licensed pharmacist, you guys shouldn't have to worry about it at all!:D After all there's only 2 schools in the whole province!

2 schools together graduating almost 400 people/year PLUS the government here makes it very easy for foreign trained pharmacists to start working compared to other professions such as dentistry where if you are foreign trained you must go back to dental school for a year paying the internationla rate (over 50K/year) and pass a pleothra of exams, english language exams, etc, etc. As for pharmacy i believe it is 1-2 exams and a english proficiency test... not to mention the support from giants such as walmart that WANT more foreigners working so that they can drive down wages...

Whatever though, this is happening in every single industry, manufacturing in the 80s, computer professionals in the 90s, at both a people level and even a country level. COUNTRIEs these days are even doing stupid things with their money and driving themselves into bankruptcy (greece? ireland? italy? United states?), we are in for some interesting times.

I'm not going into pharmacy for the money though, so i could care less.

If you people want to get rich the ONLY way is start a SUCCESFUL business/ or get good at trading stocks/bonds/whatever, or inherit money.

You're never going to get rich by working for someone, and as a pharmacist you will always be working for someone.

As for pharmacy i believe it is 1-2 exams and a english proficiency test... not to mention the support from giants such as walmart that WANT more foreigners working so that they can drive down wages...
You seem to be under-estimating the difficulty of these tests. I have no idea if these tests are the same as the tests that you have to take to get your license but one of the technicians that I currently work with is a pharmacist who is going through these tests. She said that they are pretty difficult so I don't believe that everyone who writes these tests will pass them from the first time IMO.

You seem to be under-estimating the difficulty of these tests. I have no idea if these tests are the same as the tests that you have to take to get your license but one of the technicians that I currently work with is a pharmacist who is going through these tests. She said that they are pretty difficult so I don't believe that everyone who writes these tests will pass them from the first time IMO.

yeah BigFan is right, last year 10% of uoft grads failed this test i.e. 24 students..... this is mainly because of more and more IPG's writing the test so OCP has to raise the difficulty level of the licensing tests.

and on the pay rate...it is going down because of these IPG's as well.... the starting rate use to be ~ 50$/hr in gta and now down to 38/hr because they come and start working at lower rates as compared to canadian grads.

You seem to be under-estimating the difficulty of these tests...I don't believe that everyone who writes these tests will pass them from the first time IMO.

I didn't make a judgement as to whether the exams are difficult or not, just i'm saying the profession is alot more accesible for a foreigner than say dentistry because all you have to pay for are the 1-2 examination fees, study your ass off, etc. meanwhile for a foreign dentist you have to somehow come up with $ 70K for that additional year at uoft or western and also pass some exams etc.

But hey, like we are all saying in this thread, we are in it because we like it. Going to school for 4 years and paying $60k for a degree that nets you a $38/hour job is insane otherwise.

Does anybody know what the hell is going on with the waiting list?

Has anybody called the department to find out if the list has started moving yet?

Wasn't the deadline to accept last Friday?

They sure are taking their sweet ass time....

yeah BigFan is right, last year 10% of uoft grads failed this test i.e. 24 students..... this is mainly because of more and more IPG's writing the test so OCP has to raise the difficulty level of the licensing tests.

and on the pay rate...it is going down because of these IPG's as well.... the starting rate use to be ~ 50$/hr in gta and now down to 38/hr because they come and start working at lower rates as compared to canadian grads.
I didn't make a judgement as to whether the exams are difficult or not, just i'm saying the profession is alot more accesible for a foreigner than say dentistry because all you have to pay for are the 1-2 examination fees, study your ass off, etc. meanwhile for a foreign dentist you have to somehow come up with $ 70K for that additional year at uoft or western and also pass some exams etc.

But hey, like we are all saying in this thread, we are in it because we like it. Going to school for 4 years and paying $60k for a degree that nets you a $38/hour job is insane otherwise.
I see your point(s). One thing you missed staffpro is that the technician who I mentioned said that she had to go through a 6 month program which cost an insane amount of money(I believe she mentioned 30k for 3 month :eek:). She has only went for half so far, since, it's pretty expensive and will mean that she has to move to another city and away from her family. In essence, its not as accessible as you think :p

Does anybody know what the hell is going on with the waiting list?

Has anybody called the department to find out if the list has started moving yet?

Wasn't the deadline to accept last Friday?

They sure are taking their sweet ass time....

in the letter they said they will call end of july or beginning of august i believe
and also i tried calling them and they said we cannot reveal that info..

Last edited:
I just got the call from the school, I was wait listed and now I'm in :D.

I'm too excited to say anything else right now, and still can't believe its real, but I just wanted to let u guys know that the list started moving.

Last edited:
waitlisted and just offered admission

I'm too excited to say anything else right now, and still can't believe its real, but I just wanted to let u guys know that the list started moving.

Congratulations! = )

I'll see you in September!

thanks everyone.

does anyone know anything about deferrals? I am interested in applying for one and have a pretty weak excuse but am curious if anyone knows anybody that has successfully deferred their admission. I wonder how many people are actually successful in permission to defer their admission.

Obviously a medical excuse, but just curious if anyone knew how common it is to get permission.

thanks in advance

Shoppers pharmacists make $39 in Richmond, so I'm not so sure about that 45 # in Vancouver.

yeah. im really tight with my associate- i've known him as a close family friend for my entire life and have worked for the company along side him for over 4 years. I have seen people's pay stubs (haha), and in vancouver I know of 4 pharmacists that were offered 45 as starting wage - pretty dece but you still get taxed like a B.

I believe the wage rate is corporately determined, meaning the DM (district manager) / VP of operations has some sort of general control over capping the limit, however a majority of your raises / wage rate may be variably controlled by the associate.

That is just for SDM, so take that with a grain of salt and also take in to consideration the effect location and proximity to the city, # of pharmacists employed, script count, competing employers etc may all weigh in on a pharmacist's earnings

Last edited:
yeah. im really tight with my associate- i've known him as a close family friend for my entire life and have worked for the company along side him for over 4 years. I have seen people's pay stubs (haha), and in vancouver I know of 4 pharmacists that were offered 45 as starting wage - pretty dece but you still get taxed like a B.

I believe the wage rate is corporately determined, meaning the DM (district manager) / VP of operations has some sort of general control over capping the limit, however a majority of your raises / wage rate may be variably controlled by the associate.

That is just for SDM, so take that with a grain of salt and also take in to consideration the effect location and proximity to the city, # of pharmacists employed, script count, competing employers etc may all weigh in on a pharmacist's earnings

When were these 4 offers made? This year?

I got in too! I still cant believe it either. Congrats to all and good luck to those in upper WL. There's still a very good chance!

I got in too! I still cant believe it either. Congrats to all and good luck to those in upper WL. There's still a very good chance!

i got in too...... see u all in september
congrats to everyone who got in and best of luck to people still on waitlist,, hope u hear the good news soon

congrats to everyone who got in and best of luck to people still on waitlist,, hope u hear the good news soon

Congratulations !!! You had really good stats, I knew you'd make it :D

Also congrats to: faso123, reason, and Aromatic ;)

Does anyone know what the default password is for our student account? I'm trying to access the student housing site :p

Hey guys, so just to be sure, all I have to do is submit the offer of admission form in order to officially be admitted, correct? I'm scared I might miss something. Thanks!

Hey guys, so just to be sure, all I have to do is submit the offer of admission form in order to officially be admitted, correct? I'm scared I might miss something. Thanks!

yea u just have to send the form.... make sure to check ACCEPT lol..just kiddin

and i have a question...on the letter it says u are too late to apply for OSAP (should have applied in may). so that means we cant apply for osap???

waitlisted and just offered admission
Congrats to you all :)

yea u just have to send the form.... make sure to check ACCEPT lol..just kiddin

and i have a question...on the letter it says u are too late to apply for OSAP (should have applied in may). so that means we cant apply for osap???
You can still apply, it just won't be there in time to pay your tuition so you might have to do a deferral or whatever its called.

Does anyone know if the mandatory faculty orientation session on Sept 7 is referring to the white coat ceremony? Or is that ceremony only for people going to phrosh?

I just have a question for the people accepted right away without being waitlisted and who are not uft students already,

have you guys received anything yet besides the confirmation that the acceptance of the offer was received?

I saw in the FAQs that all of the important info will be sent to us in late July, but I just wanted to see if they sent it out already or about to soon.

Since I was waitlisted initially, I accepted another program within those two weeks, and now I need to withdraw from as soon as possible. I feel really nervous about canceling something before getting all the details from uft and making sure I am registered and can set up my loans.

Is anyone else dealing with something similar? Have u guys withdrawn from something else yet or still waiting for the details from uft?

I just have a question for the people accepted right away without being waitlisted and who are not uft students already,

have you guys received anything yet besides the confirmation that the acceptance of the offer was received?

I saw in the FAQs that all of the important info will be sent to us in late July, but I just wanted to see if they sent it out already or about to soon.

Since I was waitlisted initially, I accepted another program within those two weeks, and now I need to withdraw from as soon as possible. I feel really nervous about canceling something before getting all the details from uft and making sure I am registered and can set up my loans.

Is anyone else dealing with something similar? Have u guys withdrawn from something else yet or still waiting for the details from uft?

Not to worry, you have not missed much, the package has not been sent out.

You should have by now:

Your U of T student ID number and possibly access to ROSI

.. and if you join the facebook group there's more information about post registration stuff.. line of credits, CPR registrations etc.