University of Toronto Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol... beat you to it! I already am.. where r u?

Lol, weird... I've been online for an hour tough and never saw you... u sure you're online?

Members don't see this ad.

Here you are: :)

http://pharmacy.utoronto.ca/programs/bsc/bsccurriculum/bscyear1courses.htm

Let us know if you find any interesting comparisons!

You can find the old curriculum below... you can click on any year that you wanna see.

http://pharmacy.utoronto.ca/programs/bsc/bsccurriculum.htm

haha thanks alot guys; wow I guess I am going blind :oops:
If I find anything significant I will definitely let you know pharmaniac :D btw how many labs did you typically have in first year (minus the prequisite courses) or is it all lectures?

haha thanks alot guys; wow I guess I am going blind :oops:
If I find anything significant I will definitely let you know pharmaniac :D btw how many labs did you typically have in first year (minus the prequisite courses) or is it all lectures?

Minus the prerequisite or exemption courses, we had labs for Microbio (LMP232) in the 2nd Semester. We also had 'pharmacy' labs for PHM127 (both semesters) and for PHM129 (2nd semester)... so labs for 3 courses- although the pharmacy labs aren't typical university labs- they're patient-care oriented (i.e. tell them how to use ear/eye drops, etc) or actual pharmacy practices (using a program to print labels)

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are my stats as someone who was accepted this cycle. For the students of the future :p

In province student

Cgpa 87%

PCAT – 83% comp and 3/3, I got 24 in RC but 99 in Chem. My pcat scores were all over the place but I guess it was good enough. This was my first attempt at PCAT. I’m happy I don’t have to repeat the test again, I found the ~4h exam very draining. Don’t write this test without preparing, it’ll be a waste of time (it’s a hard test imo). Time is extremely limited.

MMI – I actually thought this was fun! I thought I did well on most of the stations except for a couple that were a little weak and by weak I mean I didn’t have that much to say. I unfortunately never peeked over to see what the interviewers had marked me. I quite enjoyed myself though. As other people on this forum have stated, the best way to do it is to just be yourself, which is kind of awesome right? I suppose the best way to prepare is probably to practice speaking about a topic/issue out loud. Check out practice MMI questions online. Also, U of T makes you sit through this orientation, which takes one hour prior to your interview… I think that waiting was the worst part of it. Haha

I’m so late posting this but better late than never. I also did a UW post for my UW specific stats. These posts are my way of giving back to the forum. Good luck to all future applicants!

thanks for sharing

Last edited:
Minus the prerequisite or exemption courses, we had labs for Microbio (LMP232) in the 2nd Semester. We also had 'pharmacy' labs for PHM127 (both semesters) and for PHM129 (2nd semester)... so labs for 3 courses- although the pharmacy labs aren't typical university labs- they're patient-care oriented (i.e. tell them how to use ear/eye drops, etc) or actual pharmacy practices (using a program to print labels)

Do you happen to know the cumulative number of hours of all lectures/labs your class had per week?

It's so weird how exactly a week ago we are all so nervous/excited to open our decision result on PharmSIS :p

It's so weird how exactly a week ago we are all so nervous/excited to open our decision result on PharmSIS :p
hehe, true, true. I can't say that I'm not excited anymore though :p A bit more relaxed now that I know where I'm going :D

hehe, true, true. I can't say that I'm not excited anymore though :p A bit more relaxed now that I know where I'm going :D

I'm still excited too... but I'm still waiting for two huge things that will complete my pharm-excitement: 1) all the packages we're gonna get (specially the one that hold our time table)... 2) can't say here :rolleyes:

I'm still excited too... but I'm still waiting for two huge things that will complete my pharm-excitement: 1) all the packages we're gonna get (specially the one that hold our time table)... 2) can't say here :rolleyes:

i can guess what 2 in lol....
i am getting more nervous day by day thinking if i will get the phone call or no :(

i can guess what 2 in lol....
i am getting more nervous day by day thinking if i will get the phone call or no :(

Lol, don't worry... as I mentioned before, don't expect phone calls this soon... enjoy the summer, and the phone will ring eventually one day :xf:

p.s. you wouldn't know 2) unless you really know me... unless you ARE someone who knows me :confused:... haha

Lol, don't worry... as I mentioned before, don't expect phone calls this soon... enjoy the summer, and the phone will ring eventually one day :xf:

p.s. you wouldn't know 2) unless you really know me... unless you ARE someone who knows me :confused:... haha

lol...i dont.

i read on page one of this thread that pharmd has been rejected by government for this year... i posted that on ubc thread and now all those guys are saying bad stuff about me... making me more sad

lol...i dont.

i read on page one of this thread that pharmd has been rejected by government for this year... i posted that on ubc thread and now all those guys are saying bad stuff about me... making me more sad
PharmD wasn't rejected though, that and it looked like you were trying to convince Gladd to reject UofT to increase your chance of getting in ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmD wasn't rejected though, that and it looked like you were trying to convince Gladd to reject UofT to increase your chance of getting in ;)

but i wasnt trying that...i joined the forum just recently and read that and shared it with them....anyways maybe my mistake and sorry for that

but i wasnt trying that...i joined the forum just recently and read that and shared it with them....anyways maybe my mistake and sorry for that
no biggie, don't worry about it. I'm sure everything is fine and hopefully, you get in :)

It wasn't rejected, I just assume it just wasn't accepted or else we would've heard something...

It wasn't rejected, I just assume it just wasn't accepted or else we would've heard something...
hmm, isn't not getting accepted a rejection in itself? :p
Having said that, maybe they are keeping the final decision a secret till Phrosh week or white coat ceremony? I dunno, but, I do wonder why they wouldn't re-structure the course if they got rejected? :confused:

Having said that, maybe they are keeping the final decision a secret till Phrosh week or white coat ceremony? I dunno, but, I do wonder why they wouldn't re-structure the course if they got rejected? :confused:

as far as i know they have to re-structure the course even to apply for ELPD... but they said during interviews that anyone starting the new curriculum will get pharmd if it is approved by government in next 4 years (before graduation) if i am not wrong..

and one more question that what will be the advantage of pharmd if someone works in retail??

as far as i know they have to re-structure the course even to apply for ELPD... but they said during interviews that anyone starting the new curriculum will get pharmd if it is approved by government in next 4 years (before graduation) if i am not wrong..

and one more question that what will be the advantage of pharmd if someone works in retail??
none as far as I know. I believe you need a PharmD to work in the hospital or to do research though.

I don't think they can keep it a secret even if they wanted. If it did get approval I'm sure someone would post it somewhere. There would at least be a news release by the OPA or something.

I don't think they can keep it a secret even if they wanted. If it did get approval I'm sure someone would post it somewhere. There would at least be a news release by the OPA or something.

No trust me, the faculty is REALLY good at keeping secrets. As an example, last year's entering class (the 1T4's) did not hear much detail about the 'new curriculum' until they were well into their first year :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised to hear sometime next year that PharmD will be implemented.

As a side note, I mentioned before that it would be ridiculous to start offering the dual PharmD-BScPhm degree (for those already in pharmacy), and then when it's our turn (the 1T5's) they would only give us a BScPhm... wouldn't that be sorta unfair :confused:

No trust me, the faculty is REALLY good at keeping secrets. As an example, last year's entering class (the 1T4's) did not hear much detail about the 'new curriculum' until they were well into their first year :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised to hear sometime next year that PharmD will be implemented.

As a side note, I mentioned before that it would be ridiculous to start offering the dual PharmD-BScPhm degree (for those already in pharmacy), and then when it's our turn (the 1T5's) they would only give us a BScPhm... wouldn't that be sorta unfair :confused:
hmm, that'll be a downer for sure but I'm waiting for phrosh week and for the semester to start to see what happens :)

The whole tuition being so high because its a professional program is bull****. The Ontario Veterinary College at U of G is only like $4000 per YEAR and they get a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.

Totally agree. Can't believe tuition at the two Ontario pharmacy schools is higher than tuition at some U.S. state schools. It's certainly the highest in Canada which is ironic because Ontario pharmacists get shafted the most.

Totally agree. Can't believe tuition at the two Ontario pharmacy schools is higher than tuition at some U.S. state schools. It's certainly the highest in Canada which is ironic because Ontario pharmacists get shafted the most.
Yep, it's the highest in Canada, too high IMO.

@bolded really? I was under the impression that pharmacists avg around the same throughout most of the provinces :confused:

Yep, it's the highest in Canada, too high IMO.

@bolded really? I was under the impression that pharmacists avg around the same throughout most of the provinces :confused:

check out this website: http://www.rpigroup.ca/
look at the pay difference in relief pharmacist rates all over canada.... ontario is in 30's and everywhere else in 40+

New curriculum basically stretches out the old Therapeutics course from 1.5 years into 3 years. Courses are shuffled around. Anatomy and physiology are combined into one course. Courses that used to be in the curriculum are now prerequisites (like biochem and orgo). You will basically learn more about pharmacotherapy, MTM, and pharmacology than students in the old curriculum. You will also have 0.5 years of practicum more than current students and 0.75 years of practicum more than graduates of the traditional curriculum.

New curriculum basically stretches out the old Therapeutics course from 1.5 years into 3 years. Courses are shuffled around. Anatomy and physiology are combined into one course. Courses that used to be in the curriculum are now prerequisites (like biochem and orgo). You will basically learn more about pharmacotherapy, MTM, and pharmacology than students in the old curriculum. You will also have 0.5 years of practicum more than current students and 0.75 years of practicum more than graduates of the traditional curriculum.

That ALL sounds really good to me :p

Thanks for writing this. The new curriculum is definitely interesting and that last year of just practicum is awesome IMO. After all, experience is important especially in Pharmacy :)

As to that website:
Lambeth Ontario $44.00
So, while yes, you are correct since in Toronto, it's $33, but, in Lambeth, its $44. Having said that, I heard BC is already oversaturated with Pharmacists ^^

Thanks for writing this. The new curriculum is definitely interesting and that last year of just practicum is awesome IMO. After all, experience is important especially in Pharmacy :)

As to that website:
Lambeth Ontario $44.00
So, while yes, you are correct since in Toronto, it's $33, but, in Lambeth, its $44. Having said that, I heard BC is already oversaturated with Pharmacists ^^

Wouldn't say oversaturated, but it's getting there. Definitely not the auto-employment-upon-grad-wherever-you-wish-to-look situation of before.

What about in Ontario?

Wouldn't say oversaturated, but it's getting there. Definitely not the auto-employment-upon-grad-wherever-you-wish-to-look situation of before.

What about in Ontario?
i have been working in pharmacy for over 4 years now and what i have seen in GTA and toronto area is saturated.. its nearly impossible to get a full time job there.... rest of ontario ,still possible

What about in Ontario?
You're right, not oversaturated, but, getting there. According to my pharmacist, it shouldn't be much of an issue finding a job, that there are opportunities available so I'm staying on the optimistic side :)

i have been working in pharmacy for over 4 years now and what i have seen in GTA and toronto area is saturated.. its nearly impossible to get a full time job there.... rest of ontario ,still possible

I agree, but I'm going into pharm school knowing that I will probably never get a job in the GTA, I just hope the surrounding areas aren't saturated by then.

I agree, but I'm going into pharm school knowing that I will probably never get a job in the GTA, I just hope the surrounding areas aren't saturated by then.

The reason why there's a saturation is because most of the students that get into pharm at uoft are *from* the GTA and surrounding areas. Most people don't want to move too far away to find a job ;)

On a related note to all this saturation talk. My dad went to his pharmacy today and he told the pharmacist that I was going to U of T for pharm school and the pharmacist just went into a doom and gloom talk about how pharmacy used to be good and now it sucks, etc.

Ya I guess pharmacy sucks if you have a store with 4 other pharmacies on the same block, including a couple of chain stores.

I got a question, how do pharmacies get paid from insurance and OHIP for the medications they dispense?

I've used pharmacy programs that print receipts out but what happens afterwards? How does the pharmacist tell the insurance or OHIP to pay for the meds? is there an online reporting system or something? or does the software just automatically do it for you?

thanks

I got a question, how do pharmacies get paid from insurance and OHIP for the medications they dispense?

I've used pharmacy programs that print receipts out but what happens afterwards? How does the pharmacist tell the insurance or OHIP to pay for the meds? is there an online reporting system or something? or does the software just automatically do it for you?

thanks

You're correct! It's the software that does it for you.

It's all done online when a new prescription is processed on the computer. Every time you create a new patient profile, there's a space to add their health card number/private plan info.

Also, I wanted to congratulate everyone who got into pharm this year, no matter which school! It is a very rewarding job for those who actually want to be pharmacists, and are not just going into it for the money or as a back up ;)

What you will get out of pharmacy school over the next four years will depend on what you put into it... both w/r to the work you put in as well as your attitude. Be positive, and don't compete with other students from class or other schools (they are your best support and future colleagues) :)

Last edited:

thanks

Haha that's a good question. It's not OHIP, it is Ontario Drug Benefit, but you will learn this in your first year (not sure which course because they're different, but I'm about 99% certain you will learn it. If you didn't I'd be very surprised). I work for SDM, so generally it will go through the insurance when you enter it in the software system. If the insurance rejects it, then it will tell you and you wouldn't dispense the drugs at all.

On a related note to all this saturation talk. My dad went to his pharmacy today and he told the pharmacist that I was going to U of T for pharm school and the pharmacist just went into a doom and gloom talk about how pharmacy used to be good and now it sucks, etc.

Ya I guess pharmacy sucks if you have a store with 4 other pharmacies on the same block, including a couple of chain stores.

wow same here...

I went to the pharmacy i used to volunteer at today and the pharmacists there also gave me those doom and gloom talk...

Now I'm have second thoughts about quiting my 30/hr industry job...

wow same here...

I went to the pharmacy i used to volunteer at today and the pharmacists there also gave me those doom and gloom talk...

Now I'm have second thoughts about quiting my 30/hr industry job...

You make 30 an hour!?!?

So let me get this straight, you wanna go to school for 4 years and pay 15k per year just to make a couple bucks more than you're making now?

You make 30 an hour!?!?

So let me get this straight, you wanna go to school for 4 years and pay 15k per year just to make a couple bucks more than you're making now?

Perhaps, he's pursuing this profession for more than the digits on the cheque.

You make 30 an hour!?!?

well my position is temporary (16 months coop)...i don't have a degree (just finished 3rd year undergrad)

but if i quit this job for pharmacy i don't think my boss will ever take me back...or any shot at an industry production position for that matter...

I remember they don't allow deferrals unless its some extreme circumstances such as medical reasons etc

btw anyone know if a person can defer their admission to next year?

They explain that in the FAQ section of your notice... I just copy paste it below.

"Is it possible to request a deferral of admission? Normally the Faculty does not grant deferrals. Where extenuating circumstances prevail, a one-year deferral of admission may be granted; however, we do not guarantee this. If you wish to request consideration for a deferral of admission you must:

• submit a detailed letter outlining your reasons for the request;

• submit relevant documentation to support your request (for example, medical documents if the request is for medical reasons).
The letter and supporting documentation must be received no later than the expiry date indicated on your offer of admission. Deferral requests are not normally considered if received past the expiration date of the offer of admission. Requests for deferrals of admission will be considered ONLY in extenuating circumstances. Deferral of admission will not be considered for financial reasons as there are numerous avenues for students to access financial assistance. Deferrals for educational purposes may be considered for applicants who are currently undertaking a graduate program that is expected to be completed within one year. Deferrals for the purpose of completing undergraduate degree programs, or for purposes of completing research courses taken as part of an undergraduate degree, will not be considered.
Students who submit a deferral request in time to be received by our office by the deadline indicated on the offer of admission will initially be contacted by phone with a decision during the week of July 11th. Any students whose request has not been granted will then be given one day, from the time they are notified, to accept or decline the offer of admission for September 2011."

UofT students: any changes noticed on ROSI yet? I haven't seen anything new so far

check out this website: http://www.rpigroup.ca/
look at the pay difference in relief pharmacist rates all over canada.... ontario is in 30's and everywhere else in 40+

Uhhhh... Relief pharmacists make $50-60+/h even $70/h in Ontario, including time spent driving tot he pharmacy. It is only within the past year that it went down a bit but nowhere near $30!

Source: actual pharmacists.

You make 30 an hour!?!?

Do you really think pharmacists make 32 bucks an hour?

Hospital pharmacy techs make $27/h.

A pharmacist can expect to make $85k at a hospital. Closer to $95k at a retail pharmacy, depending on certain factors. Within the past year things have changed for new grads but an experienced pharmacist who has worked at a retail shop for more than a few years is making that much money.

If the average income for pharmacists is lower, it's just because there are a lot of part-time pharmacists skewing the data. You can't trust the income info you find online. Even the income info provided by the government.