University of Toledo College of Medicine 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you have a 41_ area code, but not 419, you better alert the person taking your order at the restaurant you're calling.

Members don't see this ad.

what i meant to say was that is it a 4 yr program after you have majored in something or a 4 yr program after 2yr prerequisites?

what i meant to say was that is it a 4 yr program after you have majored in something or a 4 yr program after 2yr prerequisites?

"The College of Medicine has set minimum science requirements of one year each of biology, mathematics, physics, English and two years of chemistry, including organic chemistry. Additional biology courses are strongly recommended. Beyond these, concentration in humanities, sciences or other areas is equally acceptable. A bachelor degree is required."

Members don't see this ad :)

You will have better luck getting answers by looking here or here. The pre-allo board might also be helpful. Toledo, like most medical schools in the US, requires a bachelor's degree for admittance.

I don't think there are any schools left that you can leave college after two years and start med school. Even NEOUCOM's 6 year program requires you to finish a Bachelor's degree before starting med school. They just allow you to complete your bachelor's and MD in 6 years because there are no summers and there are a couple classes that count for dual credit I believe.

I don't think there are any schools left that you can leave college after two years and start med school. Even NEOUCOM's 6 year program requires you to finish a Bachelor's degree before starting med school. They just allow you to complete your bachelor's and MD in 6 years because there are no summers and there are a couple classes that count for dual credit I believe.

And most people in that program take 7 years to finish, so really it's a bachelor's in three years. And you don't even get to take any "fun" classes. It's just prereqs.

Do they take enough courses to earn a bachelor's? I knew of some people in the program three or four years ago who wanted to apply to other schools, but they had a hard time of it because they weren't going to receive a bachelor's. Maybe it's changed by now.

I was just accepted to Toledo! Now I don't know what to do. I was already planning on going elsewhere. It would be fantastic if I could get in touch with a current student so I could ask about the inside scoop.

My email is [email protected]

Hello,
Does anyone happen to know if class attendence is mandatory? Do professors post lectures online or anything like that? Are there poeple who get away with not going to class at all?

Does anyone happen to know if class attendence is mandatory? Do professors post lectures online or anything like that? Are there poeple who get away with not going to class at all?

By far, the majority of classtime is NOT mandatory. Every couple of weeks, you get a packet of class lecture notes in your mailbox (might be going paperless soon, but you will still get the notes). Lecture audio is posted online. It's really not necessary to go to class for *most* professors. Some of them (like CBC) have heavily visual lectures, and if you miss them it is difficult to figure out what is going on from audio alone. There are a number of people I know who completely skip class because they feel like studying at home is more efficient.

I was just accepted to Toledo! Now I don't know what to do. I was already planning on going elsewhere. It would be fantastic if I could get in touch with a current student so I could ask about the inside scoop.

Hey, maybe you got my seat. Congrats.

So... you decided to come to Toledo, right? :nod:

Hello,
I just got accepted into Toledo!!!! I an super excited, but have just begun my search for living. I am looking for a female roommate, that could share an apt with me.

Please feel free to email. me at [email protected] of you are interested..

I understand this will be a sort of personal question and you guys may not want to answer, but were you guys able to use mostly class notes and handouts (which seems to be the trend) and still get all honors (A's). Just wondering, and again, I understand if no one answers that.

Sorry this is late. I graduated over a year ago. Notes are enough. You may get "more understanding" to fill in some gaps with the books, but honestly you forget most of that and it comes back to the basics for step 1. If you know the notes, you can easily get honors. Remember, professors pull out points that they think are important. They only have so many questions and therefore will only use items from the notes. I had a mixture of honors and high pass. Most of your class(reading books or not) will fall somewhere in the high pass range.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone recieved anything in their toledo email as of yet. i havent gotten anything and im not sure if its not working or no one has sent me anything.

has anyone recieved anything in their toledo email as of yet. i havent gotten anything and im not sure if its not working or no one has sent me anything.

I have received a couple of emails from the orientation committee regarding white coats. They requested everyone's coat and Tshirt sizes.

here's another question for the second years...

it looks like on the fall schedule there are only 2 human structure and developement (anatomy/histo/embryo) exams. im assuming this topic must carry over to the spring because there are 5 cellular biology tests, and the former topics couldnt possibly only take up two exams...

am i correct?

here's another question for the second years...

it looks like on the fall schedule there are only 2 human structure and developement (anatomy/histo/embryo) exams. im assuming this topic must carry over to the spring because there are 5 cellular biology tests, and the former topics couldnt possibly only take up two exams...

am i correct?

Yep, that's right. You'll have an anatomy quiz around Thanksgiving, the first exam before Winter breaks starts, another quiz before your 2nd exam, the 2nd exam in early-mid Feb., and your 3rd exam before spring break starts in early March.

For Block 3 Neuroscience and Behavioral Science, you'll have two exams each for Neuro and Behavioral (plus a practical exam for neuro).

Yep, that's right. You'll have an anatomy quiz around Thanksgiving, the first exam before Winter breaks starts, another quiz before your 2nd exam, the 2nd exam in early-mid Feb., and your 3rd exam before spring break starts in early March.

For Block 3 Neuroscience and Behavioral Science, you'll have two exams each for Neuro and Behavioral (plus a practical exam for neuro).

yup.

hmm. I know who the other MS2 SDN'ers are... I'll have to start thinking and see if I can't figure out who you are. :rolleyes:

Considering that it is July 21,

When do we get the bill for the first semester tuition? Anybody hear anything?

Hey, just got my award and COA....

a beautiful whopping $71k for M1. Can i just exchange my first born instead? I'd rather do that than deal with what is going to turn out to be $250k of compounded interest.

Considering that it is July 21,

When do we get the bill for the first semester tuition? Anybody hear anything?

I can't tell you about tuition, but last year I got a bill for student fees toward the end of the first semester. That got buried in a stack of mail and I didn't pay it for a few weeks, and when I went in they said they just took the cost out of the money they gave me for spring. Whatever the case, I wouldn't really worry about it. You're in and they'll let you know when you owe them money. You may not hear anything until you get to school.

By far, the majority of classtime is NOT mandatory. Every couple of weeks, you get a packet of class lecture notes in your mailbox (might be going paperless soon, but you will still get the notes). Lecture audio is posted online. It's really not necessary to go to class for *most* professors. Some of them (like CBC) have heavily visual lectures, and if you miss them it is difficult to figure out what is going on from audio alone. There are a number of people I know who completely skip class because they feel like studying at home is more efficient.

Agreed. CBC's lectures are a must-go, same with Morse's lectures for me. Besides those, you could conceivably skip pretty much all the lectures and still do well. They make it pretty obvious what classes are mandatory- small group sessions, PBL, lab in anatomy- but the rest are your call.

If you had notes from another source that could narrow it down (hint, hint- email in profile), it would make things easier, but I only had such for Cell and Neuro and still did well.

Hey, just got my award and COA....

a beautiful whopping $71k for M1. Can i just exchange my first born instead? I'd rather do that than deal with what is going to turn out to be $250k of compounded interest.

Ever consider deferring a year? In that year you could live here and work which would allow you to get instate tuition for the first year. I would seriously consider it if I had to face that tuition level.

Ever consider deferring a year? In that year you could live here and work which would allow you to get instate tuition for the first year. I would seriously consider it if I had to face that tuition level.

At 26, I don't feel like waiting any longer. And as luck would have it (and luck seems to be coming my way lately) I received a phone call today from a random, obscure scholarship fund through a junior college I attended that I applied for back in February and found out I got it---$80k. Too bad that only covers year 1 and a trickle of year 2 haha.... The funny part was they listed it as enough to cover all 4 years for an instate medical school. I laughed, but am very grateful! I've been doing cartwheels all day. Life is too ironic.

Unless you find yourself a very good paying job, don't listen to this advice. I'm a current 4th year and was out of state my first year (I could have lied and skated around it and gotten in-state but I didn't) and even though tuition has gone up since I have started, this isn't the way to go. First off, that one year is one less year that you will be a practicing physician and unless you are working part-time or in a pretty low-paying job you'll be making more. Also, if you end up entering a higher paying specialty you'll have zero problems paying it back as long as you are reasonable with your money. And if you are in a "lower paying specialty" you'll still be in the top 5% or so of all wage-earners in the US and chances are that you will be getting help with loan repayments and/or moonlighting. For example, the family practice residents in town get paid $75 a pop to write extra H+P's which take about an hour and are getting $20-38,000 a year in loan repayments after residency. The psych residents in Toledo have no call 4th year and are making an extra $40-45K a year moonlighting ONE WEEKEND A MONTH at a local psych hospital. My debt is not stopping me from picking any specialty and is in no way stopping me from living quite comfortably now. PM if you have questions. :)

Okay, I tried reading through some stuff on the website but I couldn't find a clear cut answer. Do we need to sign up for health insurance or do we have it by default? I want to make sure I don't have a big lapse in coverage between when my current plan ends and when my UT plan picks up, but I can't find any good info.

Okay, I tried reading through some stuff on the website but I couldn't find a clear cut answer. Do we need to sign up for health insurance or do we have it by default? I want to make sure I don't have a big lapse in coverage between when my current plan ends and when my UT plan picks up, but I can't find any good info.

I was under the assumption that it was included in our tuition unless we got a waiver of some sort. Here, http://hsc.utoledo.edu/depts/stufnaid/pdf/med1.pdf it is listed as (if selected). It is a good question. I wish there was some more clarity in terms of Tuition, bills, health insurance etc. UTCOM has been lacking in terms of keeping us informed.

Relax guys. Much will be explained during orientation week.

You need to get a waiver for the health insurance to show that you are covered by parent's insurance. The UT health coverage will start when classes begin, or whenever your coverage with another insurance provider ends, even if it is in the middle of a semester.

is there anyone that might be in toledo on august 9th that can help me move my TV from the U-haul up to my appt? im thinkin ill just end up asking a random new neighbor but why not try here and see right? its a 32 inch regular style TV, but it bulky

I wouldn't do this. I may be facing that $71K COA as well. The difference between instate and out of state is about 25-30K ( I don't remember exactly off the top of my head) + interest. While it is a good chunk of money, is a HECK of alot less than I'll make my last year as a physician before retiring. Deferring wouldn't be a wise financial choice in the long run.

Edit: Congrats on that scholarship, $80K in scholarship money is awesome!

Last edited:
yaayyy! i just got in - holy toledo. will be moving from fl as soon as i can....thanks to the guy who explained what snow chains were earlier in this thread

yaayyy! i just got in - holy toledo. will be moving from fl as soon as i can....thanks to the guy who explained what snow chains were earlier in this thread

Congrats and welcome.

Congratulations!!

congrats!! bbb333, see you in 3 weeks!!

CONGRATS!! Yay Florida people! Where are you coming from? I'm coming from Fort Lauderdale/Miami via Pensacola.

Congrats and good luck on the rather last minute move!

thanks everyone, i'm pretty excited. go florida - i'm coming from jacksonville beach

I have a bill now, and I have a cost of attendance from financial aid, but half the numbers don't match up! The gross anatomy fee is different, there are fees that aren't on my cost of attendance; heck, even TUITION is different. This is really frustrating when I'm trying to figure out how much loan money I need. And I thought they told us parking was free. So why am I being charged for a parking permit? (Which, I should add, is not on my cost of attendance.) I'm so confused. :scared:

Now that my rant is out of the way... Does anyone know if the health insurance plan covers us for next summer, as well as this fall and spring? Do we have to pay extra for the summer, or is the amount that we pay up front the 12 month cost?

I have a bill now, and I have a cost of attendance from financial aid, but half the numbers don't match up! The gross anatomy fee is different, there are fees that aren't on my cost of attendance; heck, even TUITION is different. This is really frustrating when I'm trying to figure out how much loan money I need. And I thought they told us parking was free. So why am I being charged for a parking permit? (Which, I should add, is not on my cost of attendance.) I'm so confused. :scared:

Now that my rant is out of the way... Does anyone know if the health insurance plan covers us for next summer, as well as this fall and spring? Do we have to pay extra for the summer, or is the amount that we pay up front the 12 month cost?

Hey RunShare, did you get the bill in the mail?

I logged into myUT and found it on there but was wondering if they sent out a hardcopy.

RunShare:

Is your cost of attendance sheet from fin aid for 2007-2008? I'm sure tuition and fees are different from last year. And I know there has been talk of charging for parking - it's either because of the merger or because they're trying to raise money to put in a parking garage (the lot fills up as it is, and once they move the pharm program to our campus, there won't be enough space). Whatever the reason, I'm sure we were paying for parking before without having it actually pulled out as a separate fee. Nothing is ever really free.

The health insurance will cover you year-round. I believe there is a fee for fall and a slightly more expensive fee for the spring semester, which actually covers the spring and summer.

RunShare:

Is your cost of attendance sheet from fin aid for 2007-2008? I'm sure tuition and fees are different from last year. And I know there has been talk of charging for parking - it's either because of the merger or because they're trying to raise money to put in a parking garage (the lot fills up as it is, and once they move the pharm program to our campus, there won't be enough space). Whatever the reason, I'm sure we were paying for parking before without having it actually pulled out as a separate fee. Nothing is ever really free.

The health insurance will cover you year-round. I believe there is a fee for fall and a slightly more expensive fee for the spring semester, which actually covers the spring and summer.

Yep, they did charge for parking this year. $190 for the fall semester. :(

After spending a year in med school at Toledo as an out of state, can I hope to get in-state tuition from the 2nd year onwards? To show I got no financial support from my parents in my first year, I could have them give me as a gift (or as a 529 plan) my first year tuition + expenses before I start med school. Let us say that before starting med school I even have my parents give me money for the 2nd year. Just before starting med school I will get an Ohio driving license, and when I start med school I will rent an apartment in my name.

Do you all know how difficult it has been for out-of-staters to get in-state tuition? They must have tried as the out-of-state tuition is VERY high in Toledo esp in 3rd and 4th year.

Through FAFSA, I can get no support.

Does anyone know if Toledo students ride the city buses free with their student IDs? Just being hopeful. Is that $190 really just for fall semester and then another $190 for spring? That's just ridiculous.

Does anyone know if Toledo students ride the city buses free with their student IDs? Just being hopeful. Is that $190 really just for fall semester and then another $190 for spring? That's just ridiculous.

It could be a $190 fee for the whole year. I'd be very hesitant of not having a car in Toledo because it isn't really a pedestrian friendly town.

Hey RunShare, did you get the bill in the mail?

I logged into myUT and found it on there but was wondering if they sent out a hardcopy.

Nope, just saw it online. And the parking thing is kind of crazy. If it's not on the cost of attendance, then that's $190 out of living expenses for the semester. That hurts.

Also, the gross anatomy fee on my bill is $250, and the CoA says $50. That's another $200 out of living expenses.

RunShare:

Nope, my CoA is this year's. I'm at my mom's so I don't have it in front of me right now, but I remember that the published one matched my financial aid award online. Then I was just shocked to see that my bill definitely does not match the financial aid I was awarded. I'm sure it will all work out in the end, and I probably wasn't going to take the full amount of the loans anyway, but it's scary to see things unorganized like that, you know?

That's good to know about the health insurance. Thank you!

I wouldn't swear by anything that is online quite yet, because this is the first year that the financial aid for HSC students is online. For example, myUT main campus financial aid says I am being offered over $40,000 in loans right now, and my scholarship isn't showing up on the page (makes me nervous, but our HSC financial aid office said I qualified for scholarship renewal so I'm trusting them). Merging two financial aid offices into one seems kind of chaotic right now. I'm guessing/hoping that some of this confusion is due to the merger. I would say don't worry that much until orientation starts, but if you are really concerned, leave a message for your financial aid counselor and talk to them directly.