University of Toledo College of Medicine 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethereal02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the University of Toledo College of Medicine Class of 2012 thread. Let's get this party started!:D

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on your acceptances, everyone.

I'm a current M1 if anyone has any questions about where to live or any other pre-school stuff.

I'm sure Abilene will pop in here shortly, she's a classmate of mine and a Toledo native. She has the inside scoop on the city if you have any questions.

congrats on your acceptances, everyone.

I'm a current M1 if anyone has any questions about where to live or any other pre-school stuff.

I'm sure Abilene will pop in here shortly, she's a classmate of mine and a Toledo native. She has the inside scoop on the city if you have any questions.

Hello all,

I am getting ready to interview this coming Monday. Is there anything that I should expect regarding the University of Toledo interview? I hear you have an excellent board pass rate and some great opportunities for community health exposure early.

Members don't see this ad :)

Psh...what else would I be doing? Studying for our MASSIVE anatomy exam?

Hi everybody. :welcome: Depakote already introduced me - MS1 and Toledo native. Feel free to ask me anything and I will answer as best I can.

Hello all,

I am getting ready to interview this coming Monday. Is there anything that I should expect regarding the University of Toledo interview? I hear you have an excellent board pass rate and some great opportunities for community health exposure early.

Congrats! When I interviewed, everyone was very friendly and laid back. You will be asked at least one ethical question, though. It's the rules :rolleyes:. We do have a really good board pass rate. Earlier in the year, the rumor was that we were ranked #3 in the country (Depakote, did you hear the same?). Whether or not that rumor is true, the school prepares us very well. Our graduates go all over the country to competitive specialties and competitive residency programs. We also have one of the eight certified USMLE testing centers in the country. Our students get a chance to do a run-through of the exam before taking it - complete with video cameras and everything.

Our required "clinical exposure" during MS1-2 is working with some very convincing standardized patients. The touchy-feely class, Fundaments of Clinical Practice, may sound easy, but they throw you in immediately with some awkward situations. My very first patient to interview was a man who had an affair and was openly talking about his sex life. From there, we progressed to patients with poor health literacy or patients who don't speak any English. The class offers a chance to step into the real world for some extra credit, but most of the early clinical exposure that deals with REAL patients that I know about is through our Community Care Clinic. I haven't been involved, so I'm sorry I can't tell you much more about it. There are also several electives you can take which will give you exposure to the hospital, local health community, and patients - OR elective, internal medicine, dementia...

The thing I like most about our school is that it is totally focused on the students. For example, I proposed an idea for a new program to one of our deans, expecting to do a little dance to get the approval, but he e-mailed me back immediately and said "sounds great!" Pretty much every change on campus has student involvement to make sure our opinions are considered. Dr. Gold, the dean of the medical school, has a round table dinner at least once a month, where he sits down with students from MS1-4 to let us rant about something bad or rave about something good or just give suggestions for improvement. Our campus is growing, which is really exciting - we have a new orthopaedics center and the pharmacy program will be getting a new building very soon. There is talk of trying to bring some more businesses into the area immediately around campus...

In general, I think UTCOM students are pretty laid back. We like to have lives outside of medicine. The school's primary focus is creating educated and personable clinicians, and most of us are here for just that reason.

Good luck at your interview :luck:, and feel free to ask any more questions. Come to the Coffee Hour Meet-and-Greet!

also--try the interview feedback section:

http://share.studentdoctor.net/interview/

generally you can expect friendly, conversational interviews.

The admissions staff is very friendly and helpful, so don't hesitate with any questions you may have.

Also--i have been in the Toledo area for awhile now too, so hit me up with any questions.

Congrats! When I interviewed, everyone was very friendly and laid back. You will be asked at least one ethical question, though. It's the rules :rolleyes:. We do have a really good board pass rate. Earlier in the year, the rumor was that we were ranked #3 in the country (Depakote, did you hear the same?). Whether or not that rumor is true, the school prepares us very well. Our graduates go all over the country to competitive specialties and competitive residency programs. We also have one of the eight certified USMLE testing centers in the country. Our students get a chance to do a run-through of the exam before taking it - complete with video cameras and everything.

Our required "clinical exposure" during MS1-2 is working with some very convincing standardized patients. The touchy-feely class, Fundaments of Clinical Practice, may sound easy, but they throw you in immediately with some awkward situations. My very first patient to interview was a man who had an affair and was openly talking about his sex life. From there, we progressed to patients with poor health literacy or patients who don't speak any English. The class offers a chance to step into the real world for some extra credit, but most of the early clinical exposure that deals with REAL patients that I know about is through our Community Care Clinic. I haven't been involved, so I'm sorry I can't tell you much more about it. There are also several electives you can take which will give you exposure to the hospital, local health community, and patients - OR elective, internal medicine, dementia...

The thing I like most about our school is that it is totally focused on the students. For example, I proposed an idea for a new program to one of our deans, expecting to do a little dance to get the approval, but he e-mailed me back immediately and said "sounds great!" Pretty much every change on campus has student involvement to make sure our opinions are considered. Dr. Gold, the dean of the medical school, has a round table dinner at least once a month, where he sits down with students from MS1-4 to let us rant about something bad or rave about something good or just give suggestions for improvement. Our campus is growing, which is really exciting - we have a new orthopaedics center and the pharmacy program will be getting a new building very soon. There is talk of trying to bring some more businesses into the area immediately around campus...

In general, I think UTCOM students are pretty laid back. We like to have lives outside of medicine. The school's primary focus is creating educated and personable clinicians, and most of us are here for just that reason.

Good luck at your interview :luck:, and feel free to ask any more questions. Come to the Coffee Hour Meet-and-Greet!

I did hear that about our board pass rate (I also heard something about one of our students getting the highest score in the country 2-3 years back). Again, just word of mouth... but still pretty cool.

I'll echo everything Abilene said since I can always count on her to type out the long posts that pretty much say everything I'd want to.

But yeah, the faculty and staff are really responsive to the students. Dr. Gold is really receptive to student requests.

As for the Standardized Patients... I should save my big story since they apparently like to surprise the first years with this one but let's just call it a lovely "cultural competency" exercise. Still, a great experience.

But yeah, if there's something you want to explore there is usually an elective or club that will give you the opportunity to do it. The M1 summer is another big time for these things. Our class is just starting to line up opportunities, but you can work in clinics, do research, pretty much anything... I'll probably be doing pediatric clinical research.

Can't think of much more off the top of my head. Study break should be over now anyway.

But yeah, if there's something you want to explore there is usually an elective or club that will give you the opportunity to do it.

And if not, you can form your own club pretty easily.

And if not, you can form your own club pretty easily.

That sounds great! :) Do you have any student publications presently or any innovative media outlets such as podcasts shows with a medical slant?

That sounds great! :) Do you have any student publications presently or any innovative media outlets such as podcasts shows with a medical slant?
\

By the way i was also wondering if there are any tips/threads for the interview on the SDN website?

We don't to my knowledge have any student publications with a medical slant. I know one of our classmates occasionally writes a column in the University of Toledo student newspaper, but that's about it. But since you do mention podcasts, it does remind me that all lectures are recorded and available on the web same-day and the professor's powerpoints are also posted.

\

By the way i was also wondering if there are any tips/threads for the interview on the SDN website?
Here's the SDN Interview feedback for UTCOM:
http://share.studentdoctor.net/interview/process_read.asp?school=100

You might find a few threads about the interview in the pre-allo forum
if you search, but your best info will be in the feedback.

Hey everyone,
I just got accepted to UTCOM today and I am soooo happy!!! I am 95% sure I will be attending UT. Anyways, does anyone know any good places to live around UT?

Congrats!

It depends on what you are looking for. The area within walking distance of campus is what I would call moderately safe, and therefore on the cheaper side as far as cost goes (if I remember, a single was going to be about $350-400 a month). Some of these apartments mix students with Section 8 (welfare) housing. I know a number of people who live there and are perfectly happy with their decision. I'm on the other side of the spectrum, and I am willing to pay twice the rent (almost $700) for a slightly newer place with covered parking that is a 12ish minute drive from campus because I feel 99.9% safe in my parking lot at 3am. There are a lot of duplexes for rent at about $750-800 a month - that could be nice to split with a roommate.

What kind of housing are you looking for? How far are you willing to live from campus? Do you have a general price range?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks for all the information! I am looking for a nice place (where I dont have to worry about being attack or robbed) that is within 15 min to campus. I have heard about places in holland, Perrysburg, and Maumee but dont know how expensive these places are. I am willing to pay anything under 700 a month. Any sugestions would greatly be apprecaited

Okay - it seems like you realize safety increases further from campus.

These are the places I considered most when shopping around last year - I know a number of students live in these complexes.

1) Fox Chase, Holland OH. This is my apartment complex. I pay $675 a month for their largest single with a carport. It is a very comfortable floorplan, washer and dryer included, plenty of windows and light, nice big patio. My friend lives in the smallest single, and it is definitely cramped, so I would suggest spending more for one of the larger apartments if you choose Fox Chase. We have a nice pool, cardio and weight rooms, nice clubhouse - the complex holds events like holiday parties, Monday breakfast (when the weather is nice, one of the office workers stands by the exit and gives you a brown bag breakfast if you are interested), chili cookout, etc. We wanted a UTCOM party, so they brought snacks and free beer. :) I really like it here, but it is a little expensive and I think some students are getting roommates next year because of this. I have heard that the apartments can be loud if you have bad neighbors, but my area is usually silent and perfect for studying. I live between 2 medical students, so it might just be that none of us make a lot of noise.
2) Quail Hollow, Holland OH. This is just down the street from my apartment. It is fairly new and I believe about the same price as Fox Chase. The apartments are larger, but I think they only come with W/D hookups. Nice clubhouse, but a little messy when I was there, and the pool was really small. I don't remember the workout facility. I do remember that the construction seemed a little C+ in my opinion - the apartment they showed me had a gap underneath the door and the linoleum was coming up off the floor in the bathroom, among some other issues. But keep in mind this review is coming from someone who decided against this complex - I have some friends at Quail Hollow with no complaints.

- The above 2 apartments are one step into the country, but very close to anything you might need - almost any fast food place (including a new Chipotle and Panera), grocery store, multiple gas stations, dry cleaning, liquor store, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.

3) Down Airport Highway from Fox Chase and Quail Hollow, closer to school, is the Ridge at Tibaron. Brand new apartments, very nice inside, size and setup similar to Fox Chase - W/D included. No covered parking and I don't believe they have any clubhouse, pool, or workout facility. Last year's prices were $609 for a single (710 sq feet) with a fireplace OR balcony - $659 for a single with fireplace AND balcony. I really liked this place and almost moved there, but I decided to drive 3-4 minutes further and pay $15 extra a month to have covered parking and the community facilities.
4) The Hamlet at Maumee. This one definitely gets brownie points for being a gated community that provides one garage per apartment. Nice pool, workout facility. Single apartment at 750 sqft was $600 last year. My analysis of the negatives - community laundry facilities, no W/D in unit. Common hallways - my mom always had a problem with this because if someone was cooking curry dinner, you were smelling curry all night long. If I remember, the gym seemed a little run down, which contributed to the overall feeling that Hamlet was a little older than some other complexes I was looking at. I was definitely tempted by the garage and gated community, but I felt just as safe at Fox Chase, which offers laundry in unit, and it ended up being a better location for me (between home and school).
5) Country Club Apartments at Inverwest. Very similar to Fox Chase in many respects. They have several single floorplans, ranging from $575 (598 sqft, first floor) -$720 (710 sqft, second floor) last year. "Gated" community in the sense that there is one of those bars that goes up and down at entrance, not an actual gate around the complex, but it was broken for a long time during the summer, which is why I put gated in quotations. The main negative I saw to this complex was the fact that there is no good way to get to the highway. It becomes a pain because 3rd year if you jump on the highway, you can easily get to the hospitals around town. At the Country Club, you will probably be driving ~8-10 minutes before you reach an I-75 entrance. For MS1s, this is a little annoying because, for example, the DD at the bar will be saying "man, I gotta drop somebody off at Country Club, which makes for an extra 20 minutes of driving."
6) The Oasis at Inverwest is right next to Country Club. Again, a very similar feel. I didn't look at that apartment, so I can't tell you what the price was.

I have 2 quick questions...

1) How long does it take to hear after interview? I'm oos and I interviewed 2/4. Toledo is my #1 choice but the DO I'm willing to go to if UT doesn't work out, requires a $1k non-refundable deposit by March 1st. I rather not waste so much money if I'm accepted to toledo.

2) My husband and I only have 1 car (its all we can afford right now). We also have 2 dogs. I found apartments with a backyard that allow pets 1 mile (walking distance) to the main campus. Anyway, I was wondering if there is a shuttle that takes students from the main campus to the health science campus that I could use. I know I'll need a car for 3rd and 4th year but I figure, I'lljust cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks

There is a shuttle service. You're probably going to have to go to the Main Campus web site and look under transportation for a schedule.

I found out recently that main campus is trying to set up a much better bus schedule - more shuttles between main and health campuses, as well as a night route that will transport people to some of the more popular apartment complexes around town and drop off/pick up from certain locations downtown.

Thanks a lot for those very detailed information guys!
i got an interview from UT on 3/10!!

I look forward to it...especially after see ppl like you guys on this thread!

cheers!

Hey Class of 2012...
I think that The Hamlet in Maumee (on Chesterfield Lane, Maumee, OH 43537) is a pretty good place to live... its a gated community, I live in a one-bedroom for 600 a month... its a convenient location (15 minutes from the med school), and 1 minute from Meijer (a big store like wal-mart)... it has a pool for the few warmer months... But if you do decide to move in at the Hamlet, then make sure you list me (David Podboy) on your lease as the person who referred you, because I get 50 bucks off the rent for every referral! But honestly, it is a pretty good place to live... This year we had 5 first year med students who lived there, Residents live there, Doctors live there, and I know of 4th years who have lived there for all 4 years and seem very satisfied! Just don't forget to list my name (David Podboy) on your lease. If you have any questions or concerns, then please contact me via email at [email protected] or on facebook in the Cedarville or University of Toledo network.
Thanks,
David Podboy

Hey Class of 2012...
I think that The Hamlet in Maumee (on Chesterfield Lane, Maumee, OH 43537) is a pretty good place to live... its a gated community, I live in a one-bedroom for 600 a month... its a convenient location (15 minutes from the med school), and 1 minute from Meijer (a big store like wal-mart)... it has a pool for the few warmer months... But if you do decide to move in at the Hamlet, then make sure you list me (David Podboy) on your lease as the person who referred you, because I get 50 bucks off the rent for every referral! But honestly, it is a pretty good place to live... This year we had 5 first year med students who lived there, Residents live there, Doctors live there, and I know of 4th years who have lived there for all 4 years and seem very satisfied! Just don't forget to list my name (David Podboy) on your lease. If you have any questions or concerns, then please contact me via email at [email protected] or on facebook in the Cedarville or University of Toledo network.
Thanks,
David Podboy
:lol:

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the Hamlet has a garage, which is VERY VERY nice in the Winter.... i love just jumping in my car and cruising away, without have to scrape the windows! Also, in response to Abilene =), usually I enjoy the smell of my neighbor's cooking... I guess if they are a good cook, then it can be a good thing... However, the front bottom apartments have a door directly to the outside (which is really convenient, especially when bringing in groceries. I rarely even walk in the front door to the hallway)... and as far as the gym goes... I like to use it when i cant make it to UT or the YMCA at the Med school... It has enough for me to work out when im busy, but I do prefer the main campus gym, because there are alot more people around and more machines... Just thought I would follow up on a few things there...

I think Maumee is a great choice. It's VERY safe and quiet. It takes me 10 minutes to get to school and I never hit any bad traffic on the way.

It's right by the turnpike--there are tons of restaurants and a Meijer right here. They just built a new mall in Maumee, The Shoppes at Fallen Timbers (has a dillards, jcpenneys, barnes and noble, movie theatre, tons of other stuff) But most importantly, I always feel completely safe and secure here.

Don't focus so much on the apartment having a great workout room. The school has a nice gym and you get a YMCA membership that can be used at several clubs in the toledo area. Also--the main UT campus has a fantastic state of the art rec center with everything.

there is no way in heck I would EVER even consider living at the apartments that immediately surround the med school itself. They are not safe.

As for Country Club--there have been several breakins there recently. They call it a "gated" community but it's not!!!! I think the Oasis at Iverwest is a true gated--it's right by Country Club. Maybe that would be safer. but--unless you have a roomate--I think singles there are quite expensive.

As for Fox Chase--I've heard good things about that place. And Tiberon looks nice--but it's on Airport Hwy. and I would not want to battle that traffic everday. As for safety at these places--I have no idea.

Then there are a bunch of apartments that surround the Main UT campus. I guess geared more toward undergrads and maybe law students--although I know plenty of law students live out here in Maumee. These apartments are pretty expensive--I've heard they can be loud as you would imagine.

I think Maumee is a great choice. It's VERY safe and quiet. It takes me 10 minutes to get to school and I never hit any bad traffic on the way.

It's right by the turnpike--there are tons of restaurants and a Meijer right here. They just built a new mall in Maumee, The Shoppes at Fallen Timbers (has a dillards, jcpenneys, barnes and noble, movie theatre, tons of other stuff) But most importantly, I always feel completely safe and secure here.

Don't focus so much on the apartment having a great workout room. The school has a nice gym and you get a YMCA membership that can be used at several clubs in the toledo area. Also--the main UT campus has a fantastic state of the art rec center with everything.

there is no way in heck I would EVER even consider living at the apartments that immediately surround the med school itself. They are not safe.

As for Country Club--there have been several breakins there recently. They call it a "gated" community but it's not!!!! I think the Oasis at Iverwest is a true gated--it's right by Country Club. Maybe that would be safer. but--unless you have a roomate--I think singles there are quite expensive.

As for Fox Chase--I've heard good things about that place. And Tiberon looks nice--but it's on Airport Hwy. and I would not want to battle that traffic everday. As for safety at these places--I have no idea.

Then there are a bunch of apartments that surround the Main UT campus. I guess geared more toward undergrads and maybe law students--although I know plenty of law students live out here in Maumee. These apartments are pretty expensive--I've heard they can be loud as you would imagine.

1) Living near the highways is great. I already mentioned that as a downside to Country Club and Inverwest. If you are close to the highways, you are pretty much 20 minutes from everywhere - all the major shopping areas, movie theatres, restaurants, downtown...
2) Gym thing I agree with for most people. I guess I put more importance on it because I usually work out as a study break. Since I study at home, I like having the ability to run over to the gym in my apartment complex for 30 minutes.
3) Airport Highway traffic isn't that bad. It can get a little congested during rush hour, but things keep moving. And since it is a major road, it is usually kept pretty clear of snow during the winter months. Not sure about safety at the Ridge, but Fox Chase is great.
4) I was warned not to even look at the apartments around main campus, because undergrads are really loud. Some apartments around here (I know the Ridge is one of them) won't even let undergrads live there.

Its looks like a lot of current med students post here so I was wondering about the WL. I was so sad because I realy LOVED toledo and got my hopes up about attending. I even sent a loi the next day. Sadly I received an alterante list letter. It said something like they don't start pulling from it til June which is such a long time from now...
Well my main question is, do they take a lot of people from the waitlist? I'd really like to know if there has been movement in the last few years. I'm so bummed about all this and I'm wondering if I should just plan on going to a MUCH more expensive school that I really didn't love.
:(

Its looks like a lot of current med students post here so I was wondering about the WL. I was so sad because I realy LOVED toledo and got my hopes up about attending. I even sent a loi the next day. Sadly I received an alterante list letter. It said something like they don't start pulling from it til June which is such a long time from now...
Well my main question is, do they take a lot of people from the waitlist? I'd really like to know if there has been movement in the last few years. I'm so bummed about all this and I'm wondering if I should just plan on going to a MUCH more expensive school that I really didn't love.
:(

I was pulled from the wait list. I'm pretty sure there's been a good bit of movement in years past. IIRC, the top third of the waitlist (once it is ranked) has almost always gotten in.

My advice to you is to send lots of correspondence. Letters of interest, a letter of intent would be best (if that's not what the loi you mentioned above is), and keep sending them regularly. Let the school know you're absolutely Hell-Bent on attending. Toledo is one of the few schools I know where this actually seems to make a difference.

As for when you can be pulled, my understanding is that once your file is evaluated you get awarded X # of points, the scores from all previously evaluated files (including those on the alt list) are then considered and the top scoring are accepted. So, you can be on the top of the alt list and still get accepted in the regular cycle if enough people interviewing after you score lower. While possible, I'd still not count on major waitlist movement until May/June. Hang in there, it might take a while, but it is worth waiting for. :luck:

Yes I sent them a letter of intent but maybe I send another in May/June since I probably won't hear anything til then. That way they'll know I'm still interested and I'll be able to send them info from this semester.

Yes I sent them a letter of intent but maybe I send another in May/June since I probably won't hear anything til then. That way they'll know I'm still interested and I'll be able to send them info from this semester.

Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to be in touch more frequently. They don't all have to be update letters. You can send letters of interest. You don't have to say much in each, but I'd send a few on a a semi-regular basis. You want it to get to the point where they start recognizing your name and get familiar with you. You don't need to come off as desperate, but very interested won't hurt.

If any of you want to live in the area immediately surrounding the medical school, I've heard Linda and Susan Arms apartments are worth looking at...I guess they have overnight security guards?? and are fairly safe and nice.

I would recommend looking into Valley Stream Apartments in Maumee. It's actually west of I-475 on Garden (extension of Heatherdowns). I'll be moving there in August (my fiance lives there currently) after I get married, and I love those apartments. For the upstairs units there are valted ceilings (~16 foot ceilings). Every unit that I know of has an "extra" room off the living room instead of a balcony. It can be closed off so you don't have to heat/cool it, or you can leave the sliding door open. It would make an ideal study room.

Here's the website: http://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...rtments/PropertyOverview.aspx?listingid=19705

I was accepted a couple of weeks ago, and I'm like 75% sure this is the school that I will go to.

I would really like to live with another med student (splitting cost of a 2bd, 2ba apt). Is there a roommate-finding service at Toledo?

I was accepted a couple of weeks ago, and I'm like 75% sure this is the school that I will go to.

I would really like to live with another med student (splitting cost of a 2bd, 2ba apt). Is there a roommate-finding service at Toledo?

There will be an orientation website which will have message boards. You'll be able to post for roommates there, but that won't be up for quite a while.

It might be a good idea for someone in your class to start a facebook group, the class of 2011 has one, I found my roommate there.

I already go to school here at Toledo, but my lease is up over the summer and my wife and I are looking to move up to the Sylvania area. Do you have any ideas about decent apartments up there?

I already go to school here at Toledo, but my lease is up over the summer and my wife and I are looking to move up to the Sylvania area. Do you have any ideas about decent apartments up there?

Steeplechase is nice, but I'm not sure about noise because I think a number of undergrads live there: http://www.cumberlandconstruction.com/steeplechase.html

Orchard Lakes seemed nice from the outside (I didn't go in). They're pretty new: http://www.edwardrose.com/OrchardLakes/View_Photos/view_photos.html

I'll post more if they come to mind. I didn't really look in the Sylvania area that much.

Hi, All,

I'll be interviewing this coming Monday!! very excited about it and just wondering if you guys have any advice for it..?

Hey there
Its been such a long time since I visited sdn...
I will be attending Toledo for sure this year since I am one of those delayed matriculant.. (had to defer 1 year due to a personal reason)

I just have a quick question for those of you, esp to class of 2011 ppl.
I remember seeing on orientation schedule last year that white coat ceremony starts at 2 pm and the reception is at 4 pm on the last day of orientation. If you guys can remember, what time did white coat ceremony end? and was "reception" part mandatory?

I have to fly back to california to attend one of my best friends' wedding the next day so I am wondering if I can leave right after white coat ceremony. And how bad is the traffic from toledo to DTW around 4-5 pm? (I am thinking of catching 7 pm flight)

Thanks in advance and looking forward to see you guys this August.

Hey there
Its been such a long time since I visited sdn...
I will be attending Toledo for sure this year since I am one of those delayed matriculant.. (had to defer 1 year due to a personal reason)

I just have a quick question for those of you, esp to class of 2011 ppl.
I remember seeing on orientation schedule last year that white coat ceremony starts at 2 pm and the reception is at 4 pm on the last day of orientation. If you guys can remember, what time did white coat ceremony end? and was "reception" part mandatory?

I have to fly back to california to attend one of my best friends' wedding the next day so I am wondering if I can leave right after white coat ceremony. And how bad is the traffic from toledo to DTW around 4-5 pm? (I am thinking of catching 7 pm flight)

Thanks in advance and looking forward to see you guys this August.

Don't remember exactly what time it ended, but the reception was NOT mandatory.

Traffic north to DTW at that time (usually on the weekend) shouldn't be too terrible, but I wouldn't want to cut it too close. A 7pm flight seems reasonable, though.

Hi, All,

I'll be interviewing this coming Monday!! very excited about it and just wondering if you guys have any advice for it..?

1) Just have fun with it. The interviews were very laid back. I do always warn people that we have mandatory ethics questions, so just be expecting that. The one I remember had something to do with "what if your classmates were passing around a copy of test answers..."
2) Come to the Coffee Hour! I may be there, but I haven't decided yet.
3) I will be one of your tour guides on Monday.

Don't remember exactly what time it ended, but the reception was NOT mandatory.

Traffic north to DTW at that time (usually on the weekend) shouldn't be too terrible, but I wouldn't want to cut it too close. A 7pm flight seems reasonable, though.

I second this. I felt like the ceremony went about the entire 2 hours. The reception was not mandatory, but they had really yummy food. Traffic to Detroit should be no problem on a Sunday. And yes, a 7pm flight should be fine - it usually takes about 45 mins to get to the airport from Toledo.

thanks for the message, Abilene85...

look forward seeing you on monday and toledo :)

I've mentioned this to another interviewee, but just a heads up to anyone traveling into Toledo over the weekend. The forecast calls for us to get about 8 inches of snow between tomorrow and Saturday.

Be sure to bring some warm clothes and if you're driving, plan accordingly.

I was accepted a while back and I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Toledo. Anyone know anything about scholarships i.e. when they're offered?

I've mentioned this to another interviewee, but just a heads up to anyone traveling into Toledo over the weekend. The forecast calls for us to get about 8 inches of snow between tomorrow and Saturday.

Be sure to bring some warm clothes and if you're driving, plan accordingly.

thanks a lot for the forecast...I'll be prepared..

1) Just have fun with it. The interviews were very laid back. I do always warn people that we have mandatory ethics questions, so just be expecting that. The one I remember had something to do with "what if your classmates were passing around a copy of test answers..."
2) Come to the Coffee Hour! I may be there, but I haven't decided yet.
3) I will be one of your tour guides on Monday.

i may not be able to come to the coffee hour b/c i'll be staying with my friend, but i may see you guys on monday :rolleyes:

I was accepted a while back and I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Toledo. Anyone know anything about scholarships i.e. when they're offered?

I got a scholarship offer via phone call about a week after my acceptance, but that might have just been good timing with my interview date and the meeting of the scholarship committee. I know we have a number of scholarships used for recruitment, and then a bunch of other ones that you can fill out an application for - you will get info about these with your financial aid packet, and if you sign up with FastWeb you will get e-mails to tell you about other opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if you can really call it a scholarship but I got a need-based scholarship about 2 months after schools started once all the financial aid settled. Not a tuition break but a small very low interest loan.

I made a facebook group for the class of 2012. Its called UTCOM class of 2012. join!

hey guys!! I had a great time in UT on Monday!
thanks a lot for the info..

the students there are happy... i guess that's the most important thing!
I hope i will have a chance to get in...

too bad i didn't get to meet you guys..:rolleyes:

I don't know if you can really call it a scholarship but I got a need-based scholarship about 2 months after schools started once all the financial aid settled. Not a tuition break but a small very low interest loan.

Cool! How's your knee doing since spring break? Hope you've had a swift recovery.