University of Texas at Austin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what do you all think about me getting in this year as a reapplicant?

What did Dr. Wilcox tell you at the appointment in June? His advice is a lot of help.

Members don't see this ad.

You are right about the 98 and 56 scores being within +/- one standard deviation of the average. The percent of students having those scores, however, depends on the distribution of the scores.

Do you remember the normal distribution (or bell) curve? Under that curve, 65% of students would have a score between 56 and 98.

I thought it was like 68%. Like I said, I didn't put to much effort into stats. Anyway, it seems odd that 16% got higher than 98 and 16% got lower than 56. I didn't think that many people got 98's and I didn't think UT accepted anything less than 70's on all the subtests.

I thought it was like 68%. Like I said, I didn't put to much effort into stats. Anyway, it seems odd that 16% got higher than 98 and 16% got lower than 56. I didn't think that many people got 98's and I didn't think UT accepted anything less than 70's on all the subtests.

Oops, I switched a 5 and an 8 in the 68-95-98 rule.

That rule only applies for a normal distribution. A skewed, irregular graph would have different results.

Members don't see this ad :)
"and I didn't think UT accepted anything less than 70's on all the subtests."

If this is true, I'm screwed.

What did Dr. Wilcox tell you at the appointment in June? His advice is a lot of help.
he said that the adcom were concerned that i didn't make it clear exactly why i wanted to make the switch between nursing and pharmacy. i think they were afraid that i just happen to stumble across pharmacy one day because i found that i didn't like nursing anymore. but that's not true. i was a pre-med/pre-nursing student at UT. i didn't know exactly what i wanted when i grew up :) when i graduated and worked as a nurse, i really didn't find diagnosing as appealing as knowing the meds and how they work with patient treatments. but nursing was a great experience especially with stepdown. i was able to work with different gtt medications and monitor how the meds work with patients. i worked with great people, which is why i have been doing it for four years, but i'm ready to go back to school.
anyway, he suggested that i volunteer in a pharmacy too and i'm now a pharmacy tech trainee at North Austin hospital. i got fresh letters as he suggested (1from micro prof, 1from pharmacy director, and 1 from my new nursing supervisor). and I updated my resume except i didn't know what he meant by showing my yearly work week.

"and I didn't think UT accepted anything less than 70's on all the subtests."

If this is true, I'm screwed.

I got a 64 in reading, so I don't think it is true. Or maybe 70 is the cutoff for the composite score.

i'm sure someone already posted the answer to this so i apologize for the laziness in my part. does UT have only 3 rounds of interviews? If this weekend was the first round. Approximately when is the 2nd round of interviews and how long until the interview date do you get your invite?

btw best wishes on the ppl that are doing their interviews!

i'm sure someone already posted the answer to this so i apologize for the laziness in my part. does UT have only 3 rounds of interviews? If this weekend was the first round. Approximately when is the 2nd round of interviews and how long until the interview date do you get your invite?

btw best wishes on the ppl that are doing their interviews!

Look in the 'texas school applicants' thread

Does anybody know what time the last documents have to be in today??? I'm waiting on my last LoRec right now, and it's almost five.

Does anybody know what time the last documents have to be in today??? I'm waiting on my last LoRec right now, and it's almost five.

Are you checking online? Sometimes UT takes a few days to update... might already be there.

Are you checking online? Sometimes UT takes a few days to update... might already be there.

No, lol I want to know if there's a specific time they stop accepting them. I have a pharmacist writing my last LoRec, but I haven't been able to get ahold of him to see what's going on, and if he hasn't sent it yet I was wondering if they stopped accepting them at say 6PM.

No, lol I want to know if there's a specific time they stop accepting them. I have a pharmacist writing my last LoRec, but I haven't been able to get ahold of him to see what's going on, and if he hasn't sent it yet I was wondering if they stopped accepting them at say 6PM.

I have no idea, but I suppose they accept until midnight :confused:... good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea, but I suppose they accept until midnight :confused:... good luck.

Thanks a lot I've been stressing about this all day. I'm only worried about making sure it's submitted. I know the status check is always behind this time of year. I should have submitted my app early. Hopefully I'll have UH finished by the end of next week instead of waiting for until the last minute.

I just got back. The interview was ok. I got a graduate student and did have a student sit in. I was asked stadard questions, like regarding my research, 5 qualities tht would make me a good pharm., if i you wre in a group setting and things go bad...if you study all the interview questions on SDN people have posted, you will have nailed the majority of the questions...now i'm exhausted, yet relieved that it's over, so i'm goona go pass out :sleep:

I just got back. The interview was ok. I got a graduate student and did have a student sit in. I was asked stadard questions, like regarding my research, 5 qualities tht would make me a good pharm., if i you wre in a group setting and things go bad...if you study all the interview questions on SDN people have posted, you will have nailed the majority of the questions...now i'm exhausted, yet relieved that it's over, so i'm goona go pass out :sleep:
yeah get a good nap. :) glad you made it through!

They tried to make it fairly easy on me, but I still botched it. I wish that this wasn't my first interview so that I could have had some more practice.

That said, should we send a follow up letter of any sort to the school?

They tried to make it fairly easy on me, but I still botched it. I wish that this wasn't my first interview so that I could have had some more practice.

You can send them a thank you letter or email. Thank them for their time, re-iterate your interest in their school and say why you think you're a good fit.

You can send them a thank you letter or email. Thank them for their time, re-iterate your interest in their school and say why you think you're a good fit.

I really want to do that, but I've had a few people tell me not to bother the school.

I really want to do that, but I've had a few people tell me not to bother the school.

It would only take them a few seconds to read your letter and they probably won't even reply so I don't think it's a big bother. I'm sure some people who interviewed at UT will send a thank you note, not just you.

Last year, I sent a thank you card to my interviewer. I didn't know how to get in touch with her because she wasn't a professor, so I gave it to Dr. Wilcox to get it to her.

I don't think it has any weight on your acceptance, but I do think that it is a nice courtesy and something that we should start getting used to now that we are going to be healthcare professionals.

Keep in mind that a lot of these interviewers are not professors at the school, so they are taking time out of their personal lives to talk with you.

Anyways, just my opinion.

Knickerbocker, you probably did fine. :) I know several people who though they totally blew it at the interview, but they still go in, so they can't have done that badly.

i might add that you dont know you botched it. who knows what they're really looking for; you might actually have done really well. i would suggest that maybe the people who 'blew it at the interview' didn't do as bad as they think they did.

how many of you guys are reapplicant for this year? have you gotten an interview yet?

I think I'm almost past the kicking myself phase.

All I can do now is hope for a response of "accept" or "defer."

Did they say when they will send out acceptances???

Did they say when they will send out acceptances???

Here's everything that I know about acceptances/denials/deferments:

There are 125 spots, but about 30 are reserved for people in programs like the El Paso program. The good news is that, going by previous years, they ultimately accept around 145 people because around 20 people will decline.

They are interviewing about 80 people in each round. After each round, about 25% will be accepted. The rest will either be denied or deferred. Those deferred will be considered in the applicant pool for the next two sets of interviews.

They are supposed to have their first review meeting on the 14th, and they hope to have the first set of accept/defer/deny notices out by the 20th.

At least I only have 17 days of kicking myself for not doing better in the interview. :scared: Being first has the advantage of being considered multiple times, but it also has the disadvantage of it being your first real interview.

hey, i wanted to let you guys know that you can score less than 70 on certain PCAT subjects. I got in and only had a 49 on reading :laugh:
also, im pretty sure the PCAT average on the website takes into account UTEP scores.

Being first has the advantage of being considered multiple times, but it also has the disadvantage of it being your first real interview.

Don't worry... a lot of us are in the same boat. Sure you all did fine...

how many of you guys are reapplicant for this year? have you gotten an interview yet?
i am a re-app. i don't know when the interview invitations will go out to us but I emailed Dr. Wilcox and he assured me that all qualified reapplicants will be interviewed this year. apparently in past years if your interview score was fine or they didnt think it would change you wouldn't be offered an invitation but they'd only go on the changes to your resume' and essays.

I guess interviews are done, everyone is just holding their breath...i am, two more weeks...:eek:

What day/time did you guys interview and do the tour?

I'm too chicken to reveal who I was, but if anyone else isn't...

i was the first batch Saturday morning at 10am

Does anyone actually know a reapplicant who got in on a subsequent try?

My interview was at 3:!5 on Friday and toured at about 4:45. Even so, there were at least 40 people there; it would be hard to pick out one person from the batch while interviews were going on concurrently. What about you Knickerbocker?

Edit: Anyone who knows me at all will recognize me in a flash on SDN. :D

So I noticed people are saying that Wilcox said the first round of acceptances, declines, deferments, etc. will go out in about 2 weeks. At the tour/slideshow that I went to, he said yes, they were sitting down to go over apps on the 14th, but also that the first batch wouldn't go out until about 2 weeks after that.

He also said he doesn't anticipate them even getting through half of the first batch of interviewed candidate apps before the second round starts. Apparently if you don't hear anything, they may have not yet reviewed your application. He said they look at each application after interviewing individually, which is why it takes them so long to get through each round.

I could very well have misheard him, but I'm pretty sure I was listening intently just like everyone else! :D But even so, I'm wondering if he said things differently at other tours over the weekend. Comments?

Also, a question for Knickerbocker---By the end of the 3rd round, are all people accepted/denied? I'm assuming the next two rounds will have more interviewees, b/c otherwise they'd only have accepted around 60 people if only 25% were accepted after every round...could you clarify if you know more info?

He exaplined it slightly differently when I was there Saturday morning. According to him they will meet about 2 weeks after the interviews, so around the 14th of Feb. but shouldn't take more than a few days, and then they will notify you either way via e-mail. He stressed that if we 'needed' to contact the school to get an update to email Dr. Wilcox himself. He will answer with the bes of his knowledge as long as we don't email him daily. What i'm going to do is if I haven't heard anything (no email or letter) by say the 20th, I will e-mail Dr. Wilcox.

He also said he doesn't anticipate them even getting through half of the first batch of interviewed candidate apps before the second round starts. Apparently if you don't hear anything, they may have not yet reviewed your application. He said they look at each application after interviewing individually, which is why it takes them so long to get through each round.

Yes, this is what happend last year. I interviewed in the second round, but I wasn't reviewed until after the third round, because they had to finish reviewing the first round after the second round.

Hmm...when I reread what I wrote it sounds kinda confusing.

What I heard is pretty much what FixLittlePeople said. I think Dr. Wilcox said that they might not get to everyone on the 14th, so they'd have another meeting, but they were really aiming for the yes/no/maybe by the 20th.

During my time at UT, I was given the impression that they want to give quicker answers this year (which is why interviews started about two weeks earlier than the year before).

Also, a question for Knickerbocker---By the end of the 3rd round, are all people accepted/denied? I'm assuming the next two rounds will have more interviewees, b/c otherwise they'd only have accepted around 60 people if only 25% were accepted after every round...could you clarify if you know more info?

Sorry, all I know is what I've already posted.

Do you guys at UT know how many people are being interviewed this year?

I know they invited 78 to the first round, not sure how many actually interviewed. I don't know how many people will be invited for the next two rounds, I don't think it has been decided yet. Statistically the second round will have more people accept the interview invitation than the other rounds for some reason. The final round has had the lowest number of people accept the interview invitation because some people have already accepted a seat at another school by then.

I guess interviews are done, everyone is just holding their breath...i am, two more weeks...:eek:

I was doing ok yesterday, but I'm going berserk today. I keep picturing myself walking away from my interviewers and, once I'm out of sight, they look at each other and shake their heads, agreeing nonverbally on a 'thumbs down.'

I was doing ok yesterday, but I'm going berserk today. I keep picturing myself walking away from my interviewers and, once I'm out of sight, they look at each other and shake their heads, agreeing nonverbally on a 'thumbs down.'

Geez mate, what'd you tell them? That your real passion is medicine, but you'll settle for pharmacy? Couldn't be THAT bad could it?

I don't really expect you to say... but you got me intrigued nonetheless...

I'm still waiting on an invite if it makes you feel any better, to the ONLY school I applied to, boy am I started to regret that decision now :(

Geez mate, what'd you tell them? That your real passion is medicine, but you'll settle for pharmacy? Couldn't be THAT bad could it?

I don't really expect you to say... but you got me intrigued nonetheless...

I'm still waiting on an invite if it makes you feel any better, to the ONLY school I applied to, boy am I started to reject that decision now :(

Sorry, I know that the waiting is terrible. I should be glad that, even if I blew it, I already had my chance.

I just stumbled too much during the interview. I knew what I wanted to say, but I wasn't able to produce some of it properly. Some things I said may also have not been interpreted as I meant them to be.

Sorry, I know that the waiting is terrible. I should be glad that, even if I blew it, I already had my chance.

I just stumbled too much during the interview. I knew what I wanted to say, but I wasn't able to produce some of it properly. Some things I said may also have not been interpreted as I meant them to be.

Oh, that doesn't sound too bad... afterall, everyone's nervous. You probably did better than you think :)

Bummer that the other schools you applied to didn't interview first. Would have been good practice for the school you really want to get into... UT is your #1 choice right?

Oh, that doesn't sound too bad... afterall, everyone's nervous. You probably did better than you think :)

Bummer that the other schools you applied to didn't interview first. Would have been good practice for the school you really want to get into... UT is your #1 choice right?

Yeah, UT is my top choice. If I have to go elsewhere, I will, but I really want to go to UT.

Yeah, UT is my top choice. If I have to go elsewhere, I will, but I really want to go to UT.

Yeah, me too, obviously. Good luck. The waiting is the hardest part, I think. I wish I knew already so I could focus on school and not be checking sdn every 5 seconds to see if anyone got an acceptance!

Yeah, me too, obviously. Good luck. The waiting is the hardest part, I think. I wish I knew already so I could focus on school and not be checking sdn every 5 seconds to see if anyone got an acceptance!

Yeah, I wish I knew what was going on so that I could focus better on school and work.

Good luck to you as well.