University of Texas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh sorry tx. I just read past pages and saw that you are #6. I would say that you have ~ 95% shot. No worries. I on the other hand.....

Members don't see this ad.

When do the people who received acceptances have to respond by?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do all science prereqs have to be completed before the summer or can you take science classes (i.e. physics) in the summer before you start?

Do all science prereqs have to be completed before the summer or can you take science classes (i.e. physics) in the summer before you start?

Hi Texas12,

I believe that you have until the end of Summer to complete your pre-reqs. We are supposed to get a degree audit this month According to Mrs. Spencer, so whatever might be missing you can take in the Summer.

Hey, does anyone know if we are supposed to enroll for the transfer student orientation or will orientation instructions be given in the admissions packet we are supposed to get this month.

Thanks!! :D Have a good weekend.

I emailed Dr. Wilcox about my chances of getting in off the waitlist, his reply:

"You ask a good question and how I wish there were real consistency over the years but things seem to change a lot. In 2010 we had a total of 23 declines; in 2009 we had 28 declines. These were total declines not just wait list [a few folks declined before the WL was formed]. Historically, things would look fairly good for you getting into UT."

Hey, did I meet you at your interview? I think I might have took you to that other building for your interview and your interviewer was watching the UT basketball game on his computer? Was that you?

Oh yea! you were explaining to me how the whole season tickets for football games worked right??

Last edited:
Well, I got a response from Dr Wilcox earlier today and I have been denied. :(

But thankfully I have two other acceptances to choose from! :thumbup:

I'm actually glad that I finally have closure.

Congrats to those accepted and good luck to the waitlisters! :luck:

It's good to know that many people on this forum are very professional and positive about everything. :thumbup:

how did you know it was me???
I saw your location and signature said "San Diego" and I remembered you mentioning during your interview that you were from San Diego. Figured not many applicants/interviewees were from San Diego so I put two and two together. Good luck!

Also, for any of you who still have questions about anything school related or Austin related, feel free to ask or private message me =). My best advice is to enjoy your free time now. Just got finished with two three-exam weeks. You'll be happy for one exam a week once you get into the thick of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I have a question. Is it just me, or did anyone else balk at the P1 schedule. That first semester seems frightening taking NINE classes. Yes some of them are only 1 hour, but still it really isn't something I am looking forward too in the fall.

Any students want to ease our nerves about this being possible?

I got official rejection letter today. It's cool though, I'll still be graduating as a longhorn in May.

Okay, so I have a question. Is it just me, or did anyone else balk at the P1 schedule. That first semester seems frightening taking NINE classes. Yes some of them are only 1 hour, but still it really isn't something I am looking forward too in the fall.

Yep, it's no joke. You'll have 9-11 classes every semester. It's a big load, but definitely possible. You get used to kissing your free time away very quickly...

Yep, it's no joke. You'll have 9-11 classes every semester. It's a big load, but definitely possible. You get used to kissing your free time away very quickly...

Wow , you mean 9 am to 11pm mon-fri????? That late night classes? Does anybody have a link to the fall schedule?

Has anyone who was accepted after Spring Break had their online status change? Ann Spencer replied back to my email Monday to confirm my acceptance, but I was just curious as to when that would change.

Has anyone who was accepted after Spring Break had their online status change? Ann Spencer replied back to my email Monday to confirm my acceptance, but I was just curious as to when that would change.

I was accepted during spring break and my status still hasn't changed yet.

I just went through it last semester and I came out alive. You have 9 classes in the fall and 10 classes in the spring of your P1 year. Fall semester you were pretty much in class from 9AM-Noon and then later depending on what days your labs were. Last semester I had Tuesday and Friday labs. One of the labs was optional attendance for us, so I never went. You did have assignments and exams to complete for that lab so its not like its a free ride by any means.

Honestly, the material in all the classes are not that difficult, but the AMOUNT you had to juggle was the tough part. You start off September with no exams or assignments and you start thinking "Pharmacy School is a breeze!" and then once the end of September hits, you have the possibility of having an exam every week, which is what we ended up having.

Spring of P1 is even tougher; we have a total of 5 of what we term "Hell Weeks" where we have at least 3 exams in those weeks along with papers due, assignments, etc. So, in Spring of P1 year, you're thankful for just one exam in a week.

My best advice for getting through it is try everything in your power to keep up with the material. I am a self-proclaimed "test crammer" so I hated my life during those "hell weeks". Whenever we have any free time at all, I take advantage and do NOTHING, but when the exams come and snap me back out of reality, I find myself really behind, which is a bad way to approach it. Another thing that gets me through the week is my fellow classmates. We are all going through the same thing and its nice to know you're not alone in your suffering. During crazy weeks my FB news feed is just full of pharmacy related humor, inside jokes, etc so your fellow classmates will always be good to help make those weeks a little brighter.

Overall, UT CoP admitted you because they believe you have what it takes to get through the curriculum. They admit 130 people and want 130 people to graduate. But STILL HAVE FUN. Pharmacy kids study hard and party harder.

Pharmacy kids study hard and party harder.

Final Interview Day:
Me: So now that interviews are over and its a Saturday, what are you P1's going to do today?

P1 student: Oh we got a beer pong tournament in a few hours, gotta get ready!

Me: :wtf::highfive:

I emailed Dr. Wilcox about my chances of getting in off the waitlist, his reply:

"You ask a good question and how I wish there were real consistency over the years but things seem to change a lot. In 2010 we had a total of 23 declines; in 2009 we had 28 declines. These were total declines not just wait list [a few folks declined before the WL was formed]. Historically, things would look fairly good for you getting into UT."

Please let us know once you get your acceptance email. I'm behind you on the waitlist so it will be nice to know. I'm really hoping to hear something by mid June so that I can have some time to sort things out before school starts.

In response to pgraves99 question about orientation, UT College of Pharmacy has our own orientation week. You will receive information in your packet regarding orientation as well as information on immunizations and the 18 student organizations. Please read everything in the packet carefully and make sure you turn in your immunization documentation as soon as possible!!

The first two days of orientation are very long, but so much fun, too!

At 4:00pm on Day 1 of orientation there will be a White Coat Ceremony where all matriculating PharmD candidates will receive their white coat and take the pharmacist's oath for the first time. This ceremony is a big deal and your family and friends are welcome to come. There will be an RSVP card in your packet, please let us know how many will be in your party for the white coat ceremony so we can make arrangements for the reception following.

If you have not already, please join the facebook group for the class of 2015. Many upperclassmen are members of that group so that the phamily can help answer any questions you may have.

Congrats to those accepted! Good luck to those on the waitlist, and to those that will be attending other schools, good luck, stay in touch and we will see you at the conferences!

In response to pgraves99 question about orientation, UT College of Pharmacy has our own orientation week. You will receive information in your packet regarding orientation as well as information on immunizations and the 18 student organizations. Please read everything in the packet carefully and make sure you turn in your immunization documentation as soon as possible!!

The first two days of orientation are very long, but so much fun, too!

At 4:00pm on Day 1 of orientation there will be a White Coat Ceremony where all matriculating PharmD candidates will receive their white coat and take the pharmacist's oath for the first time. This ceremony is a big deal and your family and friends are welcome to come. There will be an RSVP card in your packet, please let us know how many will be in your party for the white coat ceremony so we can make arrangements for the reception following.

If you have not already, please join the facebook group for the class of 2015. Many upperclassmen are members of that group so that the phamily can help answer any questions you may have.

Congrats to those accepted! Good luck to those on the waitlist, and to those that will be attending other schools, good luck, stay in touch and we will see you at the conferences!

ha thanks for making me even more anxious for next year... do you mind giving a quick overview of what happens during the rest of orientation week?

WCM!

ha thanks for making me even more anxious for next year... do you mind giving a quick overview of what happens during the rest of orientation week?

WCM!

I'm very excited for orientation as well! I think today is the deadline for round 2 acceptances to accept-- Good luck to everyone waitlisted!

What does WCM stand for?

I'm very excited for orientation as well! I think today is the deadline for round 2 acceptances to accept-- Good luck to everyone waitlisted!

What does WCM stand for?

WHITE COAT ME!! :thumbup:

WCM!

the rest of the orientation week is learning about all the organizations, meeting some of the faculty...boring stuff really. It only lasts 2 days then you begin classes.

Wow , you mean 9 am to 11pm mon-fri????? That late night classes? Does anybody have a link to the fall schedule?

No, I think they mean 9-11 classes, not the hours. I would be very curious to know what the hours were.

Here is a link to the schedule:
http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/general/pharmdcurriculum.html

Nine to eleven total classes/labs a semester. God no not 9 am to 11 pm.

Classes vary per semester. Sometimes they are pretty much back to back (to back in some cases) where you might go from 8 or 9 am till noon or so. Other times it has been similar to that but then you would have another class in the early afternoon. You will have labs each semester that will be randomly assigned to you as far as day of the week. They are in the afternoon.

Nine to eleven total classes/labs a semester. God no not 9 am to 11 pm.

Classes vary per semester. Sometimes they are pretty much back to back (to back in some cases) where you might go from 8 or 9 am till noon or so. Other times it has been similar to that but then you would have another class in the early afternoon. You will have labs each semester that will be randomly assigned to you as far as day of the week. They are in the afternoon.

How late in the afternoon do labs end?

How late in the afternoon do labs end?

Depends on the lab and when it starts. P1 labs are in the late afternoon (3-3:30 pm) and get out around 6-6:30 pm. P2 labs are often 1-4 pm or 1:30-4:30 pm. Sometimes 2 labs are put back-to-back, so you're in lab from 1-6 pm or 1:30-6:30pm. I put together pdf document of my schedule from the last two years, but I couldn't figure out how to upload it. If any of you know how, I'll show you the document.

Depends on the lab and when it starts. P1 labs are in the late afternoon (3-3:30 pm) and get out around 6-6:30 pm. P2 labs are often 1-4 pm or 1:30-4:30 pm. Sometimes 2 labs are put back-to-back, so you're in lab from 1-6 pm or 1:30-6:30pm. I put together pdf document of my schedule from the last two years, but I couldn't figure out how to upload it. If any of you know how, I'll show you the document.

post as a image file on free server like picasa and link??

sorry not tech savy, but would be interested to see it!

btw...if labs get out a 6pm, when do you take the tests? I thought p1's had tests at night?

post as a image file on free server like picasa and link??

sorry not tech savy, but would be interested to see it!

btw...if labs get out a 6pm, when do you take the tests? I thought p1's had tests at night?

Not ALL exams are at night (most are though; some are in class). They generally are from 7 PM-9 PM with some variations (ex. 7-8 PM, 6:30-8 PM) You are usually never in your lab for the whole time; usually get out an hour-two hours early depending on what the lab is consisting of that day. Here's my P1 schedule.

Fall 2010:
2igm9sp.jpg

*Note, those three hour chunks of PChem and MedChem are the labs

Spring 2011:
eve22x.png

Yes, there is a chance you have Friday labs for either the Fall or Spring (some people were unlucky and got Friday labs for both semesters). Some of the classes (notably Intro to Pharmacy Discussion from 8-9AM Fall and 11-Noon Spring) do not meet every single week; you are given the schedule at the beginning of the year. As you can see, Fall's pretty bunched up but Spring you have rather big gaps in between.

Not ALL exams are at night (most are though; some are in class). They generally are from 7 PM-9 PM with some variations (ex. 7-8 PM, 6:30-8 PM) You are usually never in your lab for the whole time; usually get out an hour-two hours early depending on what the lab is consisting of that day. Here's my P1 schedule.

Fall 2010:
2igm9sp.jpg

Spring 2011:
eve22x.png

Yes, there is a chance you have Friday labs for either the Fall or Spring (some people were unlucky and got Friday labs for both semesters). Some of the classes (notably Intro to Pharmacy Discussion from 8-9AM Fall and 11-Noon Spring) do not meet every single week; you are given the schedule at the beginning of the year. As you can see, Fall's pretty bunched up but Spring you have rather big gaps in between.

Thanks man, thats gives us a good idea about the schedule. This may sound a little stupid but do you know what books you guys used for PChem and A&P? I wanna get them in advance and look over the summer just to gear up :D . Do the professors have class syllabus up on their webpages?

Also, anybody know if any seats opened up?:D

Fall 2010:
2igm9sp.jpg

Spring 2011:
eve22x.png

that looks... tough :wow: but really fun at the same time! :thumbup:

I am not sure if this applies for everyone, but for UT students, does the college of pharmacy register us for our courses? I know registration is coming up pretty soon and I was wondering if we have to do anything for that.

Once again, congrats to all those who got in and good luck to everyone else who is still waiting. I can't wait to meet all of you!

I am not sure if this applies for everyone, but for UT students, does the college of pharmacy register us for our courses? I know registration is coming up pretty soon and I was wondering if we have to do anything for that.

Once again, congrats to all those who got in and good luck to everyone else who is still waiting. I can't wait to meet all of you!

yes. i actually went to the 5th floor office in the pharm building to ask because i wasn't sure either. they said don't worry about registering for classes at all for next fall because they have someone that will register all of the matriculating students for us. this most likely applies for everyone, but i am currently a UT student and didn't ask if this was the same for everyone. DO, however, sign up for classes over the summer if you need to finish up some prereqs.

Also, anybody know if any seats opened up?
I know one seat opened up - a friend of mine just got into Incarnate Word.

Thank you so much for putting up the schedule! I was so worried about it - My current schedule I'm at school from 10-10 twice a week and I was just praying it wasn't like that at UT

@LonghornRxpert - thanks for the info, you have no idea how nice it is to see it all written out like that! Really appreciate it!!

Most of the profs write their own course packets of notes and the texts are supplemental. Don't stress too much over the summer about getting prepped. Have fun, enjoy the break, take advantage of the fun stuff in Austin!

However, if you feel like you will go crazy unless you atudy something to feel better prepared, here are a couple easy things you can do that will make your life easier:

1) memorize the 20 amino acids. Know their structures, three letter codes and one letter codes. Be able to draw them, know their pKa values and what pH value each amino acid would be protonated/ unprotonated. This info will be useful for biochem, med chem and med chem lab.

2) Review thermodynamics from gen chem. Get reacquainted with enthalpy, entropy, and all those equations. The first unit in p chem covers thermodynamics in depth.

3) Read up on nerve cells, synapses, and events that occur at the nuero muscular junction. Know the concentration of Na+ and K+ inside and outside nerve cells as well as the difference between ligand gated ion channels and voltage gated ion channels. This will give you a good starting point for A&P.

Hey all,

Course schedules came out this week and it looks like you will have the same schedule as we did for Fall. So, the schedule I posted will be what you will have come August (minus labs which will be different depending on what labs you are assigned)! Prepare yourselves :p

Hey all,

Course schedules came out this week and it looks like you will have the same schedule as we did for Fall. So, the schedule I posted will be what you will have come August (minus labs which will be different depending on what labs you are assigned)! Prepare yourselves :p

haha- that's good to know- Thanks!

Waitlister, any movement?

I haven't moved since March 31 when I was put on the waitlist.

What I want to know is how many people declined before the final waitlist was made. I asked Dr. Wilcox via email, but this is all he said: " In 2010 we had a total of 23 declines; in 2009 we had 28 declines. These were total declines not just wait list [a few folks declined before the WL was formed]" Does anyone know?

I don't think there is a way to know unless we ask Dr. Wilcox directly. In his last email to me he said he was pretty busy prepping labs and class so I'm hoping to hear something next week. Also I remember some people were accepted periodically throughout the week and not just all in one day. In addition, I believe the postmark date was the deadline, in which case, means that UT COP is still waiting to receive more confirmations in the mail. Looks like we just have to wait some more..

On a side note, I've been talking with Dr. Wilcox about my prerequisite courses (remember I am on the waitlist), but I did state that I'd rather clear up my prereqs until AFTER I was admitted. He replied that he didn't mind doing the evaluation for me even though he was extremely busy this week. I'm not sure if he was hinting at anything but...plan for the worst and hope for the best right?

I don't think there is a way to know unless we ask Dr. Wilcox directly. In his last email to me he said he was pretty busy prepping labs and class so I'm hoping to hear something next week. Also I remember some people were accepted periodically throughout the week and not just all in one day. In addition, I believe the postmark date was the deadline, in which case, means that UT COP is still waiting to receive more confirmations in the mail. Looks like we just have to wait some more..

On a side note, I've been talking with Dr. Wilcox about my prerequisite courses (remember I am on the waitlist), but I did state that I'd rather clear up my prereqs until AFTER I was admitted. He replied that he didn't mind doing the evaluation for me even though he was extremely busy this week. I'm not sure if he was hinting at anything but...plan for the worst and hope for the best right?

If there is an issue with a prereq, they would let us know prior the interview right?