University of Texas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
just got an email from dr wilcox! waitlist #6! the wait was worth it!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So if you don't get an e-mail about being waitlisted then we can safely assume we were rejected right?

So if you don't get an e-mail about being waitlisted then we can safely assume we were rejected right?

Honestly I would wait until you actually get a confirmation. I thought I was rejected since so many ppl were getting in before me.

BUT the email I received seemed very informal, as if Dr. Wilcox had to individually sent each email to every person. It's probably just taking a while to get to everyone.

Honestly I would wait until you actually get a confirmation. I thought I was rejected since so many ppl were getting in before me.

BUT the email I received seemed very informal, as if Dr. Wilcox had to individually sent each email to every person. It's probably just taking a while to get to everyone.

I agree with this. The reply I got from wilcox was very informal, and tentative. Then later I got another personal email that actually confirmed my acceptance.

However, he did state to me the last committee meeting was yesterday. So everyone should hear for sure soon.

And to those who are nervous, my emailing him absolutely did NOT impact me getting in or not.

And yes people are STILL getting accepted, so gl!

For the waitlisters: according to last years statistics 23 people declined admission

Yesterday when I contacted Dr. Wilcox I was told I had been wait listed but the AdCom was meeting that evening. And an official notice would be sent out.

This morning I got an offer letter via email. There is HOPE people!!!!

So I am not sure if I was on the edge between waitlist and acceptance, or if I got in off the waitlist before it had been announced, but either way! I am going to UT!!!

Congrats buddy! I am definitely jealous. And I still have some hope...

I was waitlisted as of 5:15 today :thumbup:

congrats. did u get a personal email from dr wilcox or was it an email from ann spencer. i havent heard anything from dr wilcox ever since i emailed yesterday night.

For the waitlisters: according to last years statistics 23 people declined admission

Hope for waitlisters: I am still deciding between UH where my family and friends are or UT where I would get a better (and cheaper) education and probably build a better network for career opportunities.

Any thoughts? And waitlisters, I'll take your advice with a grain of salt :)

Hope for waitlisters: I am still deciding between UH where my family and friends are or UT where I would get a better (and cheaper) education and probably build a better network for career opportunities.

Any thoughts? And waitlisters, I'll take your advice with a grain of salt :)

I'd say you're in an enviable position either way. As far as costs are concerned, from what I know the disparity is marginal between the two schools.
Both schools will provide a quality pharmacy education so to me it comes down to where you're more comfortable living. I'm not sure what your arrangment is at Houston, but if you could live at home, you'd save a ton and plus be close to friends and family.
I've also heard positive things about doing rotations at the TMC. You could network there plenty.
Bottom line, it's a tough call in my book. I know how tough it would be me to leave the DFW area if we had a pharmacy school here! Goodluck on your choice and keep us posted.

P.S. I'm an accepted UT student so no incentive for me to convince you one way or another. :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone that got their acceptances today!! I am looking forward to meeting everyone in the Fall.
:)

so how many of us emailed dr wilcox and still got no response. hopefully we could be the waitlist posse. i hope he doesnt send out rejection letters on april fools' day - i have not gotten into any schools and now is not the time to really piss me off

so how many of us emailed dr wilcox and still got no response. hopefully we could be the waitlist posse. i hope he doesnt send out rejection letters on april fools' day - i have not gotten into any schools and now is not the time to really piss me off

That would just be cruel, lol! (Also I e-mailed him and have not received a response yet.)

dang! #18 on waitlist. I know it sounds like O.K. news since 23 people declined the offer last year, but the REAL question for me and others in this same situation now is: How many people have ALREADY declined before the waitlist was sent out??? AHHH. either way, i think wmw said that he knew someone that was rank # 13 and was accepted mid-July, so even if i do have a shot, I have a loooong time to wait. Plus, what will we do about UH/Tech or other school acceptances in other cities when it comes to getting an apartment and paying tuition?? this is nuts.

Last edited:

I finally broke down and emailed him earlier this afternoon but no response yet. I'm starting to lose hope.

I'd say you're in an enviable position either way. As far as costs are concerned, from what I know the disparity is marginal between the two schools.
Both schools will provide a quality pharmacy education so to me it comes down to where you're more comfortable living. I'm not sure what your arrangment is at Houston, but if you could live at home, you'd save a ton and plus be close to friends and family.
I've also heard positive things about doing rotations at the TMC. You could network there plenty.
Bottom line, it's a tough call in my book. I know how tough it would be me to leave the DFW area if we had a pharmacy school here! Goodluck on your choice and keep us posted.

P.S. I'm an accepted UT student so no incentive for me to convince you one way or another. :D

Thanks for the advice, SVB88, I really appreciate it. I have come nowhere closer to my decision. My family is in good health, and I'd really only be gone for 3 years if I get rotations in Houston. I am an older student, (I'll be 25 before school starts) and I'm happy with the circle of friends that I have made over the years. Then again, the thought of a new circle of friends sounds good too. Especially if they like to party like myself. It would be like undergrad all over again :D

If I knew for sure that I would have a better shot at a job or residency at UT, I would do it.

UT students get their first two summers off, correct?

Thanks for the advice, SVB88, I really appreciate it. I have come nowhere closer to my decision. My family is in good health, and I'd really only be gone for 3 years if I get rotations in Houston. I am an older student, (I'll be 25 before school starts) and I'm happy with the circle of friends that I have made over the years. Then again, the thought of a new circle of friends sounds good too. Especially if they like to party like myself. It would be like undergrad all over again :D

If I knew for sure that I would have a better shot at a job or residency at UT, I would do it.

I am in a similar situation. Between UT and UH. I got accepted at UH about a month ago and had already been making plans. So my recent ut acceptance was a surprise.

The 1pm-4pm P1 schedule, the first summer off, and available parking are great perks at UH. But UT is much higher ranked, cheaper, and overall very desirable. But both have great passing rates for the NAPLEX, and in the end that's really all that counts right?

Good luck making your decision!

Yeah, I believe so. As for the job prospects, in the six years I've been a tech, I've never heard a pharmacist say they couldn't get a job by attending one school over another. In fact, when I've asked that question, they tell me at most job interviews they don't even ask you about where you went to school unless it's an attempt at small talk. They care that you're licensed. Take that anecdote for what it's worth, of course.
Regarding residencies, I can't speak on that to be honest with you.

As far as residencies are concerned, I asked that question in my interview as I am very interested on the prospects for students graduating from UT. My interviewer said that last year's graduating class (2010) had 30% of the ENTIRE class get accepted into a residency program. Not all of them got their first choice, but still, this is more than impressive. I don't have hard data to back this up, but I figured he probably knew what he was talking about since he is a professor. To compare the percentage to another school, I asked the same question at my interview at Texas Tech and was told by one of the deans that only 8% of their most recent graduating class continued on to a residency. Quite a big difference. That being said, it is very possible that the majority of students at Texas Tech were interested only in retail, etc, and didn't even bother applying for a residency. I'm not trying to bash them at all, because they have an excellent pharmacy school as well! Just providing some interesting facts. Do with them what you will! :)

Last edited:
so how many of us emailed dr wilcox and still got no response.

Nothing here either.

Those who've gotten their waitlist rank got it from a reply email from Wilcox, correct? The official rankings for the waitlist are potentially yet to be sent out?

Not that I have any high expectations anymore. I'm honestly just ready to get some closure and be done with it at this point.

I got an email from Dr. Wilcox today around 5:30pm saying that I was on the wait list and I never emailed him first.

I got an email from dr wilcox saying that im rejected:(. gotta hope I get off the purdue waitlist now:xf:. congrats to those who got accepted and hoping the best to those on the waitlist and applicants still waiting.

I just got my reply. *sigh* Boomer Sooner.. :barf:

In all seriousness though, I'm excited about OU too. Plus I didn't even expect to get an interview at UT, so I'm happy to just have made it this far. I could have done without the emotional roller coaster these past few weeks, but I'm glad it's over now.

Good luck to those admitted! And as well to those who didn't and are waiting on a spot somewhere or are attending a different school. At the end of the day, we're all gonna be pharmacists, and that's pretty awesome. :)

And don't worry, I'll always bleed burnt orange. :horns:

I also received a rejection e-mail this morning. Good luck and congratulations to those accepted!

Is it possible that more wait list emails will be sent out? Or can we conclude that all that remains are decline letters?:shrug:

That is what I am beginning to think too. I hope it isn't true.

It just seems odd to think that they could decline people when the newest batch of accepts has until Monday to respond. I guess they assume that only a small number will decline. Anyway, I haven't received an email. So I am keeping my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed until something shows up!

It just seems odd to think that they could decline people when the newest batch of accepts has until Monday to respond. I guess they assume that only a small number will decline. Anyway, I haven't received an email. So I am keeping my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed until something shows up!

if you don't want to wait any longer you could just email Dr. Wilcox... he will let you know where you stand.

I emailed Dr. Wilcox yesterday afternoon. He emailed me back this morning. I got rejected. But I'm glad that $500 deposit to A&M didn't go to waste. :)

I emailed Dr. Wilcox yesterday afternoon. He emailed me back this morning. I got rejected. But I'm glad that $500 deposit to A&M didn't go to waste. :)

congrats on a&m!! i loved their program but it was just a little too far from home for me :D

For those of you who received a rejection e-mail, did u guys emailed Dr. Wilcox and ask for your status or it is an automanted email?

In all seriousness though, I'm excited about OU too. Plus I didn't even expect to get an interview at UT, so I'm happy to just have made it this far. I could have done without the emotional roller coaster these past few weeks, but I'm glad it's over now.

Good luck to those admitted! And as well to those who didn't and are waiting on a spot somewhere or are attending a different school. At the end of the day, we're all gonna be pharmacists, and that's pretty awesome. :)

How funny, we're in opposite positions... I'm a born and breed Sooner, but I'll be going to UT. I didn't even apply to OU because I didn't want to pay out of state tuition, and I wasn't too keen on the thought of living in Oklahoma again.

Good luck next year! Maybe we can switch spots during the Red River Shootout. Haha.

I got an email from Dr. Wilcox today around 5:30pm saying that I was on the wait list and I never emailed him first.

Did he say what rank you were? He told me I was on the waitlist but never told me which number I was.

Great attitude to have. I'm sure you'll do really well at OU. Just make sure you leave your Longhorns memorabilia at home! That way you can come back home safely.

Hey gang...
I got a 'waitlist' email yesterday about 5:30 from Dr. Wilcox, it wasn't a good number (in the 30's)!!
Just thought I would let the board know!!

That's what he replied to me too! I laughed. =)

I'm obviously new to writing on these forums (though I've been reading them for years..) but I was referring to the "cool" response. Haha.

How funny, we're in opposite positions... I'm a born and breed Sooner, but I'll be going to UT. I didn't even apply to OU because I didn't want to pay out of state tuition, and I wasn't too keen on the thought of living in Oklahoma again.

Good luck next year! Maybe we can switch spots during the Red River Shootout. Haha.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to paying back loans on out of state tuition, but oh well. Thanks and good luck to you, too! Just make sure you get a good seat to switch at the game. ;)

Great attitude to have. I'm sure you'll do really well at OU. Just make sure you leave your Longhorns memorabilia at home! That way you can come back home safely.

Haha yeah, I'll probably have to try to keep my Longhornness in the closet. Who knows... I might even root for OU when it doesn't impact UT's success.

Well, I got a response from Dr Wilcox earlier today and I have been denied. :(

But thankfully I have two other acceptances to choose from! :thumbup:

I'm actually glad that I finally have closure.

Congrats to those accepted and good luck to the waitlisters! :luck:

It kind of makes sense if u think about it. They have already created those who will be on the waitlist if people were to decline. Then they have already decided on who will not be an option. Those people will get denied and the people who they think will be an option to get accepted will be on the waitlist.

I have been in contact with a few of the folks I was in interview groups with and one of them has been waitlisted in the single digits.

Does any of the current student know how many of the top ten waitlisters got a call?

I know that this is hard to gauge and the amount of waitlisted accepted is different every year, but there still may be a general pattern.

Thanks!!

I emailed Dr. Wilcox about my chances of getting in off the waitlist, his reply:

"You ask a good question and how I wish there were real consistency over the years but things seem to change a lot. In 2010 we had a total of 23 declines; in 2009 we had 28 declines. These were total declines not just wait list [a few folks declined before the WL was formed]. Historically, things would look fairly good for you getting into UT."

I emailed Dr. Wilcox about my chances of getting in off the waitlist, his reply:

"You ask a good question and how I wish there were real consistency over the years but things seem to change a lot. In 2010 we had a total of 23 declines; in 2009 we had 28 declines. These were total declines not just wait list [a few folks declined before the WL was formed]. Historically, things would look fairly good for you getting into UT."

If you don't mind me asking, what is your rank? (PM is an option). I am # 18. I just wonder, relative to you, if he would think that historically things look fairly good for me too. Thanks!