University of St. Augustine Spring 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With due diligence i found an online medical terminology course, through UDS extensions its online link below

http://pce.sandiego.edu/search/publ...dProgramAreaId=19248&selectedProgramStreamId=

i haven't called to asked if the units are quarter or semester yet tho.
Ahh I am so mad! I enrolled for UCSD extension med. terminology course and I assumed it was semester based. Thanks for the update. Now I have to take it at my community college classroom based this summer :/

Members don't see this ad.

What are everyones stats? Im nervous that my GRE isnt strong enough :(

Just submitted my application to the St. Augustine campus for Spring 2017 and I could not be more nervous! Supposedly the St. Augustine campus is the most competitive, so I'm praying my stats & application hold up. Fingers crossed, good luck to everyone!

Pre-req: 3.4
Cum: 3.45
Last 45: 3.7
GRE: 308 & 4.5 writing
Hours: 3200+ (outpatient ortho, outpatient peds, hospital, SNF)

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted My Application For The San Marcos Campus! Hoping My Stats Are Good Enough!!

3.4 - Undergrad
3.6 - Pre Req
304 - GRE

Members don't see this ad :)
How long was everyone's statement of purpose essay? From previous threads, I saw things like 2 page max; however, Carolyn mentioned it to be at least 1200 words double spaced. I'm currently sitting at just over 1400 words/5 pages.

How long was everyone's statement of perpse essay? From previous threads, I saw things like 2 page max; however, Carolyn mentioned it to be at least 1200 words double spaced. I'm currently sitting at just over 1400 words/5 pages.

Mine was just 2 pages 892 words. I kept it concise so they didn't get lost in my words but got the big picture of what I was trying to say. From what I saw I thought it said 1200 max, or try to keep it under 1200 words, but I may (very likely) be mistaken.

How long was everyone's statement of purpose essay? From previous threads, I saw things like 2 page max; however, Carolyn mentioned it to be at least 1200 words double spaced. I'm currently sitting at just over 1400 words/5 pages.
Mine was just under 1000 words. My advisor for the St. Augustine campus said it was expected to be anywhere between 800-1200 words.

Hey all, I know the website says they recommend submitting everything at least one month in advanced, however, if I planned on submitting all components by the end of this weekend will this affect my chances? Also, if I were to not be accepted this semester, could I apply for the Summer 2017 term with the October deadline?

Thanks

Hey all, I know the website says they recommend submitting everything at least one month in advanced, however, if I planned on submitting all components by the end of this weekend will this affect my chances? Also, if I were to not be accepted this semester, could I apply for the Summer 2017 term with the October deadline?

Thanks

I asked Perryman this is exact question a long time ago because I was going to submit with 3 outstanding classes just so I could beat the rush and she said they don't even start looking at the apps until June 15th so you aren't at any advantage by turning it in early. I bet they are getting a majority of the apps in right around now, now that classes are finished up for most people. I would assume you could apply with the October deadline, I don't see why that would be a problem but I haven't actually looked into it.

Hey guys, I think you may have gone over this already, but I'm submitting my application for USA spring 2017 at San Marcos and I was told to update my prereq form and the new form says that it can't be psychology based. Buuuut the only human lifespan and development class is psychology based (as in its a psych class). Carolyn Perryman had mentioned as long as it contains some physical basis it works, but that was before I looked at the new prereq sheet.
So is the psych class a thing? Or does it have to be some type of bio class?
Any help would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Which campus is everyone applying to?

I'm applying to the San Marcos campus but I'm really contemplating about pushing my application to the Summer 2017 semester! I won't be finished my degree until June 21st so my transcripts won't be sent in until the end of June/early July. Carolynn did say that it was OK but I'm really worried that it's going to affect my chances.

If not, hope to see you at the interview process!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I think you may have gone over this already, but I'm submitting my application for USA spring 2017 at San Marcos and I was told to update my prereq form and the new form says that it can't be psychology based. Buuuut the only human lifespan and development class is psychology based (as in its a psych class). Carolyn Perryman had mentioned as long as it contains some physical basis it works, but that was before I looked at the new prereq sheet.

I would email her the syllabus and ask to see if it's acceptable. She was pretty good at getting back to me on that sort of thing. Other questions/concerns I had, however, not so good...I've emailed her asking the same questions 3 times and she still hasn't given me an answer..

I'm applying to the San Marcos campus but I'm really contemplating about pushing my application to the Summer 2017 semester! I won't be finished my degree until June 21st so my transcripts won't be sent in until the end of June/early July. Carolynn did say that it was OK but I'm really worried that it's going to affect my chances.

I'd still apply, nothing wrong with putting in your application, and if it affects your chances, you can just apply for the Summer starting term afterwards! Hoping that I hear quick about an Interview, the Army process of moving to a different state isn't exactly the quickest process haha...

I can't find the page on the USA site where I once read this, so it may have changed since then, but it said somewhere there is a 6 month wait period before you can reapply. So if you're nervous about getting in this cycle you might want to take that into consideration.

I spoke with Erin at the Florida campus and she said the same thing. As long as the course description has physical in it you should be fine. She said if i gave her my class name, number, and the course description she would check with admissions to make sure its acceptable. She hasnt gotten back to me with an answer yet since she said admissions is really busy with this Spring deadline right now. But i think a psychology one is fine, because that is also the one i took. And there is nothing similar to human development in any other class besides the psych

Well what Carolyn told me is that it is rolling admissions. So the sooner your application is in, the sooner they can review and let you know if you are selected for an interview.
And i agree with cg11092. I read somewhere that you have to wait 6 months or a year before reapplying!

Well what Carolyn told me is that it is rolling admissions. So the sooner your application is in, the sooner they can review and let you know if you are selected for an interview.
And i agree with cg11092. I read somewhere that you have to wait 6 months or a year before reapplying!

Yeah, I've read that somewhere as well :\

The rolling admissions is confusing. Carolyn says they don't review applications until after the deadline; yet, the sooner your application is in, the sooner they can review it?? How does that work?

Hey I a similar situation. My degree won't be conferred until
August and so my file won't be submitted until then! Carolyn said that should be fine as there is usually spots still open at that time.

"I wanted to advise you that I have submitted your application to Admissions. Please be advised you may not hear anything for up to 6/8 weeks after the June 15th deadline. Thank you for your time and correspondence. Have a great day!"

Email I just got today, its weird that after I submitted it online I still had to email them to check to see if everything was okay and they just submitted the application today. I submitted it online a couple of weeks ago.

was waiting on a reference... got it in at the very last minute. Applying to Austin.

Last edited:
Just curious if someone familiar with the program can provide some insight into my chances of being accepted to the program?

Undergrad GPA- 3.0 (Division 1 Athlete)
Pre req - 3.0 (from PTCAS)
Masters Degree in Movement Science - 3.5

Over 500 hours of shadowing in multiple different settings.

Currently working as a locomotor trainer and research assistant specifically focused on Spinal Cord Injuries.

Thanks!

image.png
I freaked out when I saw this but then it just says under review :(

So nervous!!

Does anyone else's application say that??

That's deceptive... Mine says under review. How long on average does it take for a decision regarding interviews?

I was told 6-8 weeks after the deadline we should expect to start hearing things.

Same here! Good Luck! hopefully we are both able to get an interview! =)

Hopefully!!! My application will be submitted in the next few days since I am waiting on my GRE scores to send! Now just the waiting game!

That's deceptive... Mine says under review. How long on average does it take for a decision regarding interviews?

I read threads from the past few years it looks like most people hear back for an interview in July. And it looks like interviews are usually conducted in the beginning of August

I applied as well! My application is now under review. Good luck to everyone! ^_^

I'm pretty sure I read this before, but wanted to get a new opinion. Does anyone think since this cohort starts in January, that it's less competitive? And if there's a less competitive campus? I hear St Augustine FL is the most competitive since it's the original campus.

I'm pretty sure I read this before, but wanted to get a new opinion. Does anyone think since this cohort starts in January, that it's less competitive? And if there's a less competitive campus? I hear St Augustine FL is the most competitive since it's the original campus.
My advisor told me that the spring and summer terms are less competitive than the fall term. However, she did not say that one campus is less competitive. I feel like each campus is some what equally competitive since there are 3 different start terms. What are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

I have also heard the same thing. I also asked an enrollment advisor last year and she said that they all get a lot of applications, but the St. Augustine one gets the most! And spring & summer are less competitive! Which campus did you apply to?

Hi everyone, I am applying to the Austin campus. I interviewed with them last year but did not make the cut I am hoping this year is my year. Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know anything about this increase in tuition starting 2017 cohort? A friend of mine at the San Marcos campus warned me that in order to keep their accreditation status they have to add a trimester, thus increasing time in program and tuition.
unfortunately this is true, APTA asked for more hours so we have to do another semester of clinical increasing tuition

Pre-req: 3.5 with retakes & a class pending in fall
Cum: 3.2
Last 45: is probably around a 3.8
GRE: 292 & 4.0 writing
Observation hours: over 1,500

Im really nervous that my GRE is too low & my cum gpa!
Ive also seen on other forums that they don't look at + & - on grades, so a B+ would just be a B....does anyone know if that is the case?

Hey there, definitely retake your GRE . I know I know the thought of it is a nightmare trust me I have taken it multiple times last year I got a 297 was so happy about it but they said that is why I didn't get accepted after my interview because everyone else who interviewed had over 300 :( broken heart u can imagine , therefore I am retaking my GRE next week. Yes I know its passed deadline, however, because St. Augustine is rolling admission it does not matter. For Austin campus there will be two rounds of interviews held. My adviser told me not to worry about the date being after deadline, that if I get an interview I'll be with the second round.... Anyways I hope this helps, its worth re-trying. AND is your application states "re-taking" GRE it'll look better on you.

Hey guys, Im currently in my first trimester at the Austin campus. It's incredibly tough but I'm loving every minute!
If there is anything that I can help with please let me know. However, I do ask for patience in responding. Things get a little crazy day to day ☺

My experience : I applied for Summer 2016 (deadline was October 1st) had to resubmit a few documents like transcripts 3 times and also observation hours for one place. (It was the first time USA used their new applications system, there were some kinks. .. more than there should have been.) I received an interview invite via email on November 2 for the interview date of November 20. I received an acceptance email December 21. Classes started May 4th and it's been a whirlwind since.

My stats:
Bach GPA 3.07
last 45 GPA 3.5
pre-req GPA 3.7
GRE 294 (I know I was a few points below the "minimum" )
The more diverse hours the better!

I believe my letters of recommendation, essays & volunteer hours that helped make up for my GRE and OK GPA

Last edited:
Hey there, definitely retake your GRE . I know I know the thought of it is a nightmare trust me I have taken it multiple times last year I got a 297 was so happy about it but they said that is why I didn't get accepted after my interview because everyone else who interviewed had over 300 :( broken heart u can imagine , therefore I am retaking my GRE next week. Yes I know its passed deadline, however, because St. Augustine is rolling admission it does not matter. For Austin campus there will be two rounds of interviews held. My adviser told me not to worry about the date being after deadline, that if I get an interview I'll be with the second round.... Anyways I hope this helps, its worth re-trying. AND is your application states "re-taking" GRE it'll look better on you.

Well i only got a 294 after I retook it. But someone responded who is a student at the Austin campus and she was accepted with a 293. So I am hoping my GPA will help!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, Im currently in my first trimester at the Austin campus. It's incredibly tough but I'm loving every minute!
If there is anything that I can help with please let me know. However, I do ask for patience in responding. Things get a little crazy day to day ☺

My experience : I applied for Summer 2016 (deadline was October 1st) had to resubmit a few documents like transcripts 3 times and also observation hours for one place. (It was the first time USA used their new applications system, there were some kinks. .. more than there should have been.) I received an interview invite via email on November 2 for the interview date of November 20. I received an acceptance email December 21. Classes started May 4th and it's been a whirlwind since.

My stats:
Bach GPA 3.07
last 45 GPA 3.5
pre-req GPA 3.7
GRE 294 (I know I was a few points below the "minimum" )
The more diverse hours the better!

I believe my letters of recommendation, essays & volunteer hours that helped make up for my GRE and OK GPA

This helped so much! The waiting process is grueling right now.. Can you share what your obs hours looked like? Also, how was the interview?

unfortunately this is true, APTA asked for more hours so we have to do another semester of clinical increasing tuition

Does this mean the entire program will be 2 years + 1 semester??

So 2.3 years? That's what is stated on the website

yea thats correct
Actually I'm wrong that info online hasn't been updated. This was given to me recently when I went to go talk to them on campus 2.7 yrs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 78
This helped so much! The waiting process is grueling right now.. Can you share what your obs hours looked like? Also, how was the interview?

I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure it was about 800 hours when everything was said and done all volunteer hours! Spread out between long-term inpatient, out patient, acute, peds, spine/back, and neuro. I also was at the VA hospital and got to work with some soldiers with amputations (which was pretty dang cool).
I had about 3000 volunteer hours total but not all were PT related.

As for the interview it was pretty laid back… I was still nervous as heck. It started at 9 I think. I checked in at 830 they took our pictures and gave us a name tag with a group number on it and a packet. We had about 3 hours of presentations between teachers, advisors, financial aid, met with the director and heard from students. We got to ask them questions at that end of the presentations. They broke us up into the groups on our name tags. one group went on a campus tour, lunch, interview while the other group had lunch, interview, campus tour. You interview with 1-3 other students just depending on how many people are interviewing. I had another girl with me at my interview (we both got it thankfully) and some of my classmates said they interviewed with 3 other people. I had a professor interview me but others has the program director (the Austin campus PT Director is really nice!) they are all really nice and make you feel comfortable (at least I thought). The questions they asked were stress management, how do you know when your stressed, how do you deal with stress, why PT, what are some positive & negative things about being a PT, explain an instance when you had an unexpected thing come up and you had to deal with that without neglecting the other thing (hard to word but basically you have a patient your working with and you have to leave that patient to help another patient, how would you handle it?) how you feel about cheating? Time management, support systems? those types of things. I had posted some other questions somewhere else on these google forums but I can't find them sorry. But mostly from what I remember they were general interview questions.
USA is very big on professionalism and being "professionally dressed" so make sure you take that seriously when you go to interview (business suit, yes with a jacket…... and a tie for the guys)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Actually I'm wrong that info online hasn't been updated. This was given to me recently when I went to go talk to them on campus 2.7 yrs

Ya that's correct starting with the incoming Cohort in January it goes to 8 trimesters instead of 7. So it is a 2 year and 4 month program and its going to be 2 years and 8 months.

Ya that's correct starting with the incoming Cohort in January it goes to 8 trimesters instead of 7. So it is a 2 year and 4 month program and its going to be 2 years and 8 months.

USA is expensive as it is and another rotation will only continue to cost more... has USA addressed concerns about the increase? Personally I think another rotation really rounds out the curriculum, but the extra cost does concern me.