University of St. Augustine Spring 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So confirmation for everyone Erin Sheehan just emailed me and Medical Terminology & Human or Child Development over Lifespan is required for Spring 2017 applicants! You can take the classes in the summer or fall....it just needs to be completed by the January start date!

I am a little worried about the GRE score because when I spoke to Yvette from the Austin campus she said most acceptances are 300+ :(

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! I am from the East coast so it would be a big move for me. So I am just trying to see if anyone has opinions on one campus versus another!

Well I can't really speak for the Austin Campus but the San Marcos campus I can comment on to an extent. I've only been there once, which was for the interview, but they did give us a tour. I wouldn't really define it as a true campus, like let's say a UCLA or Stanford, but then again you can't really compare it to schools such as those since St. Augustine is home to only a small handful of programs. The San Marcos campus is situated in a residential area. It is made up of 3 buildings, each of which are only 2 floors I believe. During the tour we were told that one of the buildings was going to be under construction. They're renovating the space to accommodate the growing programs. The facilities itself were pretty nice though and more that adequate for a proper education.

The real plus for the San Marcos campus is that you'd be in California, or more specifically, southern California. The weather is pretty spectacular year round. You're looking at 70 degree weather minimum 90% of the year. You'd be about an hour or less away from anything awesome like San Diego, Los Angeles, Disneyland. You'd be 20-30 mins away from the beach. 4 hours drive from Las Vegas. You can even hop on a plane and fly to San Francisco or even Hawaii. The fares are super affordable. I can go on and on.

Ok that's all I got. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the Austin campus.

So confirmation for everyone Erin Sheehan just emailed me and Medical Terminology & Human or Child Development over Lifespan is required for Spring 2017 applicants! You can take the classes in the summer or fall....it just needs to be completed by the January start date!

I am a little worried about the GRE score because when I spoke to Yvette from the Austin campus she said most acceptances are 300+ :(

I think you said you were planning on taking it again. Your score was pretty close to 300 already so I think you should be good when you retake it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not worry to much over the GRE scores. I have seen individuals from previous forums with as low as a 286 get into the program. They look at you as a whole as in what have you been doing while you have been enrolled at school like jobs and extracurriculars , honors programs, grades of course, and the essay.

I agree they look at you as a whole, but raising your GRE score to above the minimum requirement would go a long way in making your application more competitive, especially in a field that's starting to get more crowded and competitive. Plus if you have the time to retake it what's the risk.?

I spoke to an advisor because I was worried about those new classes and that they will be pending on my applicAtion. She said not to worry about it and that they still give out interviews before those classes are completed.

I had a question: I have completed my application, except for the gre and official transcripts (my final grades from this semester won't be stated until the end of May) and im taking the gre on May 19
Therefore, can I submit my application now even though those two requirments are not completed yet? Thanks

Does anyone have a description of the medical terminology course? My program (human kinetics) never offered a class like that and I'm wondering if one of the classes I've taken already can replace it.

Thanks!

Hey sorry I've been MIA.. I had internet issues. My old GRE score was 290 with 3.0 Written. I applied and told them I was retaking it a week before the deadline. My second score was 293 :/ with a 3.5 written. Yvette told me the same thing!! "Most accepted applicants were 300+ and that it was up to me of I wanted to apply to Summer 2016 Cohort or put it on hold and bring up my GRE score. I went ahead and applied! Im glad that I did! They look at everything as a whole. The GRE SUCKS!! its the worst test ever!!
My bachelors degree GPA was 3.07 and my pre-req GPA was 3.5 while my last 45 hours was 3.6 (or something like that) I had repeat some courses and they calculate the higher of the two grades.

Well I can't really speak for the Austin Campus but the San Marcos campus I can comment on to an extent. I've only been there once, which was for the interview, but they did give us a tour. I wouldn't really define it as a true campus, like let's say a UCLA or Stanford, but then again you can't really compare it to schools such as those since St. Augustine is home to only a small handful of programs. The San Marcos campus is situated in a residential area. It is made up of 3 buildings, each of which are only 2 floors I believe. During the tour we were told that one of the buildings was going to be under construction. They're renovating the space to accommodate the growing programs. The facilities itself were pretty nice though and more that adequate for a proper education.

The real plus for the San Marcos campus is that you'd be in California, or more specifically, southern California. The weather is pretty spectacular year round. You're looking at 70 degree weather minimum 90% of the year. You'd be about an hour or less away from anything awesome like San Diego, Los Angeles, Disneyland. You'd be 20-30 mins away from the beach. 4 hours drive from Las Vegas. You can even hop on a plane and fly to San Francisco or even Hawaii. The fares are super affordable. I can go on and on.

Ok that's all I got. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the Austin campus.

Austin campus is set up the same way. It has three buildings. One in a new gym :D that just opened in January! It has two buildings that are connected on the second floor. Its a tiny campus (compared to the big typical Universities) and it is on the out skirts of town in an upscale residential area.

You start at san marcos in the fall?! Congrats! I am debating applying to San Marcos & Austin! What made you choose San Marcos?

Your pre-req gpa & gre is really good! A lot better than mine! But thank you for sharing your stats. I plan on retaking my GRE, Yvette from the Austin campus told me it would be a good idea and she could hold off on having them review my application so I could retake it!

Did you have any classes in progress after you applied? I am retaking a chem class to get a better grade in the fall and im hoping it wont be held against me since I am applying for Spring?
Hey do you know if we can submit our app online before the GRE scores are on file?

Hey do you know if we can submit our app online before the GRE scores are on file?

Parts of your app can be submitted but it won't be reviewed until it's complete.

So my whole app is complete and I have everything submitted. The GRE has an acceptance date, however some of the items just say submitted and have no acceptance date yet, I'm guessing this will change when the deadline comes???

So my whole app is complete and I have everything submitted. The GRE has an acceptance date, however some of the items just say submitted and have no acceptance date yet, I'm guessing this will change when the deadline comes???

No they'll stay as "Submitted". What you can do is just follow up with an adviser, tell them you have everything submitted and ask if there's anything else that needs to be done in order for it to be reviewed.

No they'll stay as "Submitted". What you can do is just follow up with an adviser, tell them you have everything submitted and ask if there's anything else that needs to be done in order for it to be reviewed.
Thanks!!

Anybody applying for Austin campus? I'm a student there... If you have any questions I can try to help out (might take me a bit to reply since I'm pretty busy with school stuff but I will reply)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you said you were planning on taking it again. Your score was pretty close to 300 already so I think you should be good when you retake it.
Yes I plan on retaking it! Im just really nervous that if I don't get the minimum that my application wont really be seen as competitive! Thank you sooo much for the info on the campus! I am really leaning towards San Marcos! A few other questions: is the area safe? And do most the students live with each other or near by?

Hey sorry I've been MIA.. I had internet issues. My old GRE score was 290 with 3.0 Written. I applied and told them I was retaking it a week before the deadline. My second score was 293 :/ with a 3.5 written. Yvette told me the same thing!! "Most accepted applicants were 300+ and that it was up to me of I wanted to apply to Summer 2016 Cohort or put it on hold and bring up my GRE score. I went ahead and applied! Im glad that I did! They look at everything as a whole. The GRE SUCKS!! its the worst test ever!!
My bachelors degree GPA was 3.07 and my pre-req GPA was 3.5 while my last 45 hours was 3.6 (or something like that) I had repeat some courses and they calculate the higher of the two grades.

Austin campus is set up the same way. It has three buildings. One in a new gym :D that just opened in January! It has two buildings that are connected on the second floor. Its a tiny campus (compared to the big typical Universities) and it is on the out skirts of town in an upscale residential area.

Haha yeah Yvette really scared me after that. It really made me feel like my application wont be competitive enough unless I get a 300. But it is great to know that isn't always the case! & yes the GRE completely sucks!!! I don't think it really shows whether you would be a good student or not! Thanks for your input on the Austin Campus! Is the area safe? And are you from Austin/why did you choose Austin?

From what Yvette told me was that you can tell your advisor that your application is complete. But she will wait to submit it for revision until after your GRE scores are in! That is probably what I will end up doing since I am going to retake the GRE

Yes I plan on retaking it! Im just really nervous that if I don't get the minimum that my application wont really be seen as competitive! Thank you sooo much for the info on the campus! I am really leaning towards San Marcos! A few other questions: is the area safe? And do most the students live with each other or near by?

I mean it's all very subjective. Your other stats are good so don't be too nervous. In the end you just have to be confident you did everything you could to make yourself a good candidate and be ok with any decision they make. If you really, in your heart of hearts, want to be a PT, then you don't stop until that happens, no matter the roadblock, hiccup, etc.

The area is pretty safe from what I've been told by my friend who went there and she said a lot of the students end up living together nearby.

is there a new prereq form to fill out to include the medical terminology and psych classes?

is there a new prereq form to fill out to include the medical terminology and psych classes?
I did not see a new prerequisites form. I just filled out the old form and wrote next to the class planned that this is my human growth class and for the medical terminology I just wrote it out, that it is my medical terminology class.

I mean it's all very subjective. Your other stats are good so don't be too nervous. In the end you just have to be confident you did everything you could to make yourself a good candidate and be ok with any decision they make. If you really, in your heart of hearts, want to be a PT, then you don't stop until that happens, no matter the roadblock, hiccup, etc.

The area is pretty safe from what I've been told by my friend who went there and she said a lot of the students end up living together nearby.

Thanks for all of the information! It is making me a little less nervous. I know my cum gpa & prereq gpa will raise a little with the chem class i am retaking. & with the human lifespan development and medical terminology classes. Its just time to study more for the GREs. One of the PTs i work with told me he took the GRE 4 times to get a high enough score. Yeah I know i want to do PT, but it is discouraging since this is my second PTCAS application cycle and my first for USA.

Im like 90% sure i will choose San Marcos. I plan on choosing by the end of this week after a little more thought!

I did not see a new prerequisites form. I just filled out the old form and wrote next to the class planned that this is my human growth class and for the medical terminology I just wrote it out, that it is my medical terminology class.

Whoever your enrollment advisor is should be able to send you a new prerequisite form. I was emailed one from an advisor for Florida

Reactions: 1 user
You guys can look to UCSD extensions for online medical terminology, which is approved for them.

San Marcos is a very nice area, i live about 20 mins south of the campus. A lot of PTs I work with are alumni from the San Marcos campus. Most students live in the vista, escondido, or oceanside area. Since the rent is some what cheaper

is there the option to upload more than 2 references? I have a total of 3 or 4 that I wanted to be included in my app

San Marcos is a very nice area, i live about 20 mins south of the campus. A lot of PTs I work with are alumni from the San Marcos campus. Most students live in the vista, escondido, or oceanside area. Since the rent is some what cheaper

Oh are you a current student?! Would you mind sharing you stats? I went ahead and changed my campus San Marcos!! Im super excited & nervous for the waiting process. And because I am retaking the GRE the 2nd week of June right before the deadline!

is there the option to upload more than 2 references? I have a total of 3 or 4 that I wanted to be included in my app

Yes I have a total of 4 references. All of my references sent their letters to the admissions email so I did not upload them. But you should be able to upload as many as you want

Oh are you a current student?! Would you mind sharing you stats? I went ahead and changed my campus San Marcos!! Im super excited & nervous for the waiting process. And because I am retaking the GRE the 2nd week of June right before the deadline!

I am not a current student, i live in the area and applying for spring 2017 as well. Im still debating to apply to either Miami or San Marcos. Do i have a lot of friends who are current students that have many different profiles.

I am not a current student, i live in the area and applying for spring 2017 as well. Im still debating to apply to either Miami or San Marcos. Do i have a lot of friends who are current students that have many different profiles.

Oh ok! Well thanks for the input! Is the Miami campus accredited yet? What are you stats if you don't mind sharing?

Oh ok! Well thanks for the input! Is the Miami campus accredited yet? What are you stats if you don't mind sharing?
I'm at about a 3.5 pre req gpa, 3.0 cumulative, and I'm taking GRE at end of the month. I don't think so, i think fall 2016 should be their first cohort. what are your stats?

From what I heard about Miami from another forum is that, they will hear back from CAPTE this June and the first class will be fall 2016. I am applying to both St. Augustine Florida campus and Miami campus. My stats are 3.43 pre req gpa, with two classes left, 3.3 cumulative gpa, 3.6 last 45 credits and taking the gre tomorrow.

From what I heard about Miami from another forum is that, they will hear back from CAPTE this June and the first class will be fall 2016. I am applying to both St. Augustine Florida campus and Miami campus. My stats are 3.43 pre req gpa, with two classes left, 3.3 cumulative gpa, 3.6 last 45 credits and taking the gre tomorrow.

How are you able to apply to more than one campus?

My enrollment advisor told me one campus per cycle bud...

Maybe I'm wrong but my advisor said she would make note that I want to apply to both
Edit: just relazied she would note that I'm interested in Miami. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited:
I'm at about a 3.5 pre req gpa, 3.0 cumulative, and I'm taking GRE at end of the month. I don't think so, i think fall 2016 should be their first cohort. what are your stats?

I have a 3.4-3.5 pre req with 2 classes i am taking in the fall. A 3.2 cum. And my GRE i am retaking in June since i got a 292 the first time!

Anyone applying to the St. Augustine campus?

Not sure if this is a repeated question so my apologies if it is!
What exactly are the last 45 credits- regarding courses? For example, this spring semester I retook chem so does that count? Also, I have recently taken a sports marketing class for my major, upper division religious class- wondering if non-science related courses would count as well.

I have a 3.4-3.5 pre req with 2 classes i am taking in the fall. A 3.2 cum. And my GRE i am retaking in June since i got a 292 the first time!

You should be good, i have friends who got 294s and are in the program.

It would be totally rad if we are the only ones applying for Spring 2017 start and we all get in the same cohort! LMAO
8612603376438547.jpg

Good luck y'all... I hope the applying process is going well. Im in my last semester at the Austin campus, if you have any questions let me know :)

Reactions: 1 users

So, do they not take these two courses into consideration during the admissions process for those applying to the Spring 2017 cohort? I find it very unfair for them to rush and add these two courses onto the pre-reqs only a few months ago and enforce it right away. I have not completed the medical terminology course and my university does not offer it, so now I'm scrambling to look for a community college to complete it. More money and time that I have to put aside just for this one course...:rage:

Does anyone know if that may make me less of a competitive applicant?

You should be good, i have friends who got 294s and are in the program.

I hope so!! Im retaking it June 13th which is super close to the deadline...so its time to review math i havent done since like freshman year of college :(

So, do they not take these two courses into consideration during the admissions process for those applying to the Spring 2017 cohort? I find it very unfair for them to rush and add these two courses onto the pre-reqs only a few months ago and enforce it right away. I have not completed the medical terminology course and my university does not offer it, so now I'm scrambling to look for a community college to complete it. More money and time that I have to put aside just for this one course...:rage:

I think almost everyone is in the same boat so they cant consider you less competitive & it doesnt factor into your gpa....I mean i just completed a developmental class this Spring as a prereq for another school so i just have to take Medical Terminology!

How long does it take for the GRE, reference and hours verification to show up on the application?
My references both said they submitted both hours verification and references vi the link sent to them but it is still not showing up on my application, is this how it is for everyone and just takes a few days to show up or should I be concerned?
Same issue for GRE.

2 weeks till deadline, I'm getting excited!

How long does it take for the GRE, reference and hours verification to show up on the application?
My references both said they submitted both hours verification and references vi the link sent to them but it is still not showing up on my application, is this how it is for everyone and just takes a few days to show up or should I be concerned?
Same issue for GRE.

2 weeks till deadline, I'm getting excited!
i just got off the phone with one of the enrollment advisors at San Marcos. I asked and she just uploaded em to my profile. For GRE i sure its just based off the website i think? but call to make sure!

HEADS UP!! earlier i mentioned about medical terminology through UCSD extension, well sadly it does not fulfill the requirement! as it is only 1 quarter unit and you need 1.5 quarter units (from a quarter based system)=[. Also if this does pertain to any of you, when logging your prereq grades, you do not need to disclose plus or minus, as they just calculate it as a whole grade! which maybe a plus!! because we all know A- and B- suck

you shouldn't be less competitive since they change the prereqs in April 2016, you just need them to be completed by January 2017.

i just got off the phone with one of the enrollment advisors at San Marcos. I asked and she just uploaded em to my profile. For GRE i sure its just based off the website i think? but call to make sure!

Thanks! Yeah I just got an email back and she put them on my application, she said GRE takes a few weeks (for whatever reason) so once that is posted in all set! Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah I just got an email back and she put them on my application, she said GRE takes a few weeks (for whatever reason) so once that is posted in all set! Good luck!
sounds good bud!!

Just submitted my application for the St. Augustine campus. :) Wishing everyone the best of luck! Hopefully we all get in.