University of Southern Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i have got a call frm Dr. DeYoung yesterday...:soexcited:
c ya guys @ south jordan....
good luck everyone..

Members don't see this ad.

Is the South Jordan campus the only one that has available seats now?

Hey you guys!!! I know you guys are going crazy waiting for news from USN...I've been there and I thought this would be informative. Good Luck!!!:luck::luck::luck:

Here is how our program works:
This year, we have 17 regular assessments (scheduled every 2 weeks).
There is a Pharmacy communications (2 assessments) and Pharmacy Calculation block (5 assessments) that goes throughout the year, the lectures are spread out along with their tests. All the assessments are a pass or fail (90% is a pass), except PCalc, where you need an average of 90% to pass the block. FYI: most normal assessments are 60 questions in length.
You are given 3 chances to pass the assessment:
Day of the assessment (normally Friday)- If your team achieves score of 95% on their test, you will receive 5% added to your score, so you can receive 85% to pass instead of 90%.

Day of reassessment (normally the Monday that follows) -You must receive 90% on your assessment to pass.

Summer reassessment (last 6-7 weeks of your summer before your P2 year) - You will be lectured again on the material and tested again. You must receive 90% to pass. I have heard that the length of the lecture depends on the block, but averages a week. I believe this is why you can only have 5 summer reassessments, b/c you wouldn't have time to reassess otherwise. FYI: On your 6th one, you will be kicked out of the program

After the summer reassessment - If you do not pass all three times, you can't go on with the program until it is offered again. To rephrase, the part of the block/assessment that you missed will be given again the following year. That is when you can take it again. This is the final straw, after this you are kicked out. Oh, and if you receive a no pass 3 times in the summer, you will be dropped as well.

FYI: 3 summer remediations = academic probation
6 summer remediations = gone from the program+pity+
Rotations:
IPPE- Every other Friday (for most of the year, becomes more frequent toward the end)- The Fridays that we do not have an assessment we are normally at an assigned site (chosen for us). We work 8 hours and have an assignment that is given to us by our professors.

CPPE- 6 weeks of 40 hr/wk at a pharmacy of our choice, any state, city in the US, as long as we are certified interns in that state. We are given plenty of time to choose our site. If you do not choose a site on your own, one will be assigned to you in Henderson/Las Vegas. This is the first 6 weeks after the final. The next 6 weeks depends on your summer reassessments.

APPE- P3 rotations - not sure about this one, yet. I believe the requirements for choosing a site is the same as CPPE.

Now about my experience. I am originally from California. I have also noticed a lot of my classmate from Cali as well. I decided not to go back to SoCal this summer, because (believe it or not) Henderson feels like home now. For your CPPE, you won't have a problem finding a site, just need your Cali Intern License before the deadline.
Yes, I have remediated before. I do have a summer remediation as well. It is ok to, you won't die from it. :D There are students who have not, and I think that that's wonderful. However, things do happen to you personally, mentally, physically. We are only human. (Or maybe I use this as my excuse...:cool: :: poker face).
The people here are wonderful, at least that's my experience at the Henderson campus.
I believe our program works, which is why I am here. Just for some stats these are cut outs from some e-mails from Dr. Coffman (Dean). I sure hope I'm not one of those 3 that don't make it on the first try :xf::xf: :
(Jun-Aug test window) 99 of 101 first time takers passed the examination for an overall percentage pass rate of a little over 98%. 13% of first time takers scored in the top 5% nationwide, while 7% scored in the top 1% nationally.

USN had 36 grads take the NAPLEX during that window (most grads take the NAPLEX during the Jun-Aug test window) and 35/36 passed for a passing rate of 97.22%. This surpasses the state average of 81.25% passing and the national average of 81.96% passing. The average score for USN was 108.67, again surpassing the state average of 92.66 and the national average of 96.61. As would be expected, we also had higher averages on each of the 3 individual areas within the NAPLEX testing blueprint as well. 35% of USN candidates scored in the top 10% nationally and 22% of USN candidates scored in the top 5% nationally.

OK...so that's all I can think of. :laugh: Feel free to ask any questions.​

Members don't see this ad :)
i have got a call frm Dr. DeYoung yesterday...
c ya guys @ south jordan....
good luck everyone..

Congrats Buddy...!!
So I guess Sooner or later interview dates doesn't matter much...!! :soexcited:

I still haven't heard from them yet. No interview invites or rejections yet... things are looking slim.

I just declined my offer today....so one more seat for you guys!
Good luck everyone! I just want to say if you have a low GPA don't lose hope! I had a very low science GPA (around 3.2) and overall GPA was around 3.6 but I still was able to get an interview and get accepted :) It's not all about GPA :thumbup:
Only if this school was closer to home :oops:

I just declined my offer today....so one more seat for you guys!
Good luck everyone! I just want to say if you have a low GPA don't lose hope! I had a very low science GPA (around 3.2) and overall GPA was around 3.6 but I still was able to get an interview and get accepted :) It's not all about GPA :thumbup:
Only if this school was closer to home :oops:

Hey atlantisx714 I have similar stats as you so thankssss so much for the hope...but I still haven't gotten an interview...ne ways do u mind me asking when ur interview was and which campus you applied for? Thanks so much again!

Interviewed on March 17th

Got the Call from Dr DeYoung on March 23rd

I have the option as to which Campus I want to Attend - Henderson or Soth Jordan

HUGE Sigh of relief knowing I will be a Pharmacy Student in Fall 2009:)

I called Dr. Deyoung. He told me to hang in there until the middle of april after he has a faculty meeting. He told me I have a very competitive score so just hang in there and hopefully he'll give me a good news at the middle of april, the 10th or 11th maybe. Right now, he only has the authority to hand out certain admission letters. The rest of us has to wait until april to find out.
Stay positive guys, its not over yet :)

I called Dr. Deyoung. He told me to hang in there until the middle of april after he has a faculty meeting. He told me I have a very competitive score so just hang in there and hopefully he'll give me a good news at the middle of april, the 10th or 11th maybe. Right now, he only has the authority to hand out certain admission letters. The rest of us has to wait until april to find out.

I had my interview on 02/03 also. We might meet each other there though. Yeah he said the same thing to me too. So I guess we have to wait about three more weeks then. It's not that long so hopefully we got good news by then.

Congrats to all the ppl who have been accepted. You guys can now enjoy and wait until school starts.

As for those waiting, the admissions cycle is coming to an end and I am sure that you guys will hear from USN pretty soon. Like most ppl ask Dr. Deyoung, it'll be around April. So hang in there guys!!! :luck:

I remembered last year, I had to wait for like 3 months before finding out my result, so it's not an end if you guys don't find out rite away.

Best of Luck Everyone!
:love:

I though Dr. DeYound will call accepted students, they send out letters now instead???

Unichick that was a great post filled with a lot of useful information. Thanks!! I posted a question (actually series of questions) to Mr. Blah a few days ago. He hasn't had a chance to respond yet - I am sure he is studying up a storm - could I ask you to take a look and tell me what your answers would be to the same questions? Here is what I asked:

>Hi Mr. Blah. My name is Amy and I will be applying to USN come September. I have >been reading the current (and last year's posts) to see what is in store for me come >this time next year. :) From what I can tell it will be one part waiting to two parts >stress. Good times!

>Anyway, I have been looking at the class schedule for P1, P2, and P3 to try and get >a feel for what each year's classes will consist of and what actual class prep will >require.

>Was wondering if you could tell me, as a current pharmacy student, how much >inorganic chemistry you do on average, how often you are using organic chemistry, >what level of math you are utilizing: and if it is algebra or higher. Is class study >more like the requirements of A&P which involve reading comprehension and the >ability to remember large quantities of information or more like general chemistry, >with the ability to solve complex problems? Do you find yourself using statistics in >classes?

>I am sure different classes require different things so I am not asking for any type >of an absolute answer just an idea of what the skill sets are that you really use in >pharmacy school on a regular basis.

>Also, was curious to find out what you think average study habits are like in each >two week block. I believe I read that class is in session from 8 to 4 Monday through >Thursday. How many hours outside of class would you say that the average student >needs to study? Given the typical 2 to 3 hours of study suggested per hour of class >time that would make outside study about 60 to 90 hours a week which seems not >possible. I would love to know what you think average study time for the average >student (which you are not....I know:p) is outside of class.

>Thanks for the help!

I would love to get feedback on these questions from anyone already enrolled at USN. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I GOT ACCEPTED TODAYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I interviewed in the first interview group in November and have been waiting for their response until this day! I honestly thought I did horribly in my interview and was waiting for my rejection. But at the moment, I'm more shocked than happy! So, don't lose hope people!! Miracles happen. :)

Lala - I know how you feel - its almost like i dreamt the whole conversation with Dr DeYoung - It all seems like a blur - but one that will gladly take as I don't have to play the waiting game any more -

Everyone still waiting don't lose hope - good things do happen...I'm living proof of that.

Lymmys I got a call from Dr DeYoung, last year the only thing I heard from USN was a NO in the form of a letter...this year I spoke with Dr DeYoung and set up an interview and shortly there after got an acceptance phone call.

Hey everyone, I just got accepted today! Dr. DeYoung called this morning and offered me either a place at the South Jordan or Vegas campus, so it still seems like there are lots of spots left. I'll probably chose SJ. BTW, I interviewed on 3/7. Good luck to all!

Hey everyone, I just got accepted today! Dr. DeYoung called this morning and offered me either a place at the South Jordan or Vegas campus, so it still seems like there are lots of spots left. I'll probably chose SJ. BTW, I interviewed on 3/7. Good luck to all!

Congrats! who did you interview with?

Lymmys I got a call from Dr DeYoung, last year the only thing I heard from USN was a NO in the form of a letter...this year I spoke with Dr DeYoung and set up an interview and shortly there after got an acceptance phone call.

Thanks for the info Oli. My interview was at the end of Jan, and I'm still waiting. It is tough.

waiting, waiting, and waiting... Does anyone having an interview on Feb 17th get an acceptance ?

Interviewed on March 17th

Got the Call from Dr DeYoung on March 23rd

I have the option as to which Campus I want to Attend - Henderson or Soth Jordan

HUGE Sigh of relief knowing I will be a Pharmacy Student in Fall 2009:)

Congrats, thats AWESOME :thumbup:!!!!!! :D i have my interview march 31st :scared: any advise you can give ????

babygirl -

advice I would give, stay calm - as calm as possible as interviewing is tough and makes a person tense.

Go around and talk to as many people as possible, always talk to the staff - never just find a table and sit alone, or sit and not talk with the people around you.

The more people you talk to, the calmer you will become for when your interview arrives.

study up on questions USN has asked in the past.

be prepared for hypothetical questions - ethical questions and so forth.

its a 3 - 1 interview so be prepared even though one person asks the question still make eye contact with everyone, so they are apart of the question.

be prepared to ask the interviewers some questions at the end of your interview.

I had questions for each of them. (2 instructors and 1 student)

How will USN be affected by the economy?

Why did they choose academia?

What made USN the right school for you? (P1 question)

All in all just be yourself, calm, confident, and happy they'll be more receptive to you if you are friendly.

GOOD LUCK, you'll have to keep me posted on how it turns out for you.

Grapler - Congrats!!!

I'm still deciding on which campus, so who knows maybe we'll meet come August - although right now I am leaning towards Henderson...But we'll see what the final decision is.

Congrats again

Congrats to those who have recently been accepted!!! :)

Would you mind sharing your stats?

Thank you

babygirl -

advice I would give, stay calm - as calm as possible as interviewing is tough and makes a person tense.

Go around and talk to as many people as possible, always talk to the staff - never just find a table and sit alone, or sit and not talk with the people around you.

The more people you talk to, the calmer you will become for when your interview arrives.

study up on questions USN has asked in the past.

be prepared for hypothetical questions - ethical questions and so forth.

its a 3 - 1 interview so be prepared even though one person asks the question still make eye contact with everyone, so they are apart of the question.

be prepared to ask the interviewers some questions at the end of your interview.

I had questions for each of them. (2 instructors and 1 student)

How will USN be affected by the economy?

Why did they choose academia?

What made USN the right school for you? (P1 question)

All in all just be yourself, calm, confident, and happy they'll be more receptive to you if you are friendly.

GOOD LUCK, you'll have to keep me posted on how it turns out for you.

Thank you so much :) and CONGRATS again :D

:) yaaaaaaaaa
i got call from from Mr. dey oung yesterday'
he had offered me seat in either campus
i am sooooooo happy

Does anyone know how many ppl get accepted already? How many seat remained?

Hey atlantisx714 I have similar stats as you so thankssss so much for the hope...but I still haven't gotten an interview...ne ways do u mind me asking when ur interview was and which campus you applied for? Thanks so much again!

I had my interview on March 17, Tuesday, and applied to the Nevada campus.
Dr.DeYoung mentioned that there might be more interviews in April after he gets together with faculty members to see if they want to interview more students. So don't give up yet! :thumbup:

Can those who got accepted post your stats? Just wondering.

My overall and science GPA is 3.62. I had an interview on March 19 and haven't heard a thing yet.

Congrats! who did you interview with?

Congrats to those who have recently been accepted!!! :)

Would you mind sharing your stats?

Thank you

@ cuucon - I interviewed with Dr. Oesterman. My impression after the interview was that it went well.

@ Pharm801 -
BS Biochemistry
Overall GPA 3.71
Science GPA 3.63
I only applied to USN, so I feel very lucky to be able to say I'll be a pharmacy student this fall

If Dr. DeYoung or anyone who works for him reads this board-
I am friends with a woman who interviewed on Jan. 24. She is patiently waiting to hear and doesn't want to give up hope for USN. She already heard from one school, but she really loves the University of Southern Nevada. It is almost April, when he said people will hear, so she is hoping to hear good news from USN soon.

edited
:)

Last edited:
Also, was curious to find out what you think average study habits are like in each two week block. I believe I read that class is in session from 8 to 4 Monday through Thursday. How many hours outside of class would you say that the average student needs to study? Given the typical 2 to 3 hours of study suggested per hour of class time that would make outside study about 60 to 90 hours a week which seems not possible. I would love to know what you think average study time for the average student (which you are not....I know:p) is outside of class.

Thanks for the help!

In undergrad there were classes where I did spend 2 hours outside for every hour inside (i.e., Organic and Physics). Here at USN I've typically spent 1 hour outside for every hour inside. That means I normally average about 60 hours a week - 30 hours in and 30 hours out. Some weeks I put in more than sixty hours and some weeks less. I'd say I put in more time outside class on average than my classmates as I know of other students that probably only put in like 10-20 hours a week outside. There are however some that do put in more time than I do. Before I began at USN, I had the same worry you have now but things have worked out fine; I'm sure they will for you too:) Also, you aren't always in class from 8-3 everyday. There are some days where you'll get out by 2pm and others where you might even get out by noon. It just depends on your Professor for that day.

Last edited:
Just wanted to get an idea since I have a little girl and wanted to see if I would get to see her at all during those three years....; )

But seriously, wanted to know so I could plan what kind of extra support I might need babysitting wise if study time needed to be like nonstop.

Wondering when will the waiting game end :(? Can't concentrate on anything ... It has been 2 months already....

I'm waiting as well and it's driving me crazy! :confused: :scared: :xf: :sleep:

Does anyone know if Dr. DeYoung is making any calls this week? I wonder if he is still considering Jan. 24 applicants or if it's just March applicants? My friend says she has to let the other school know soon, so she is really hoping to hear good news from USN.

I don't know if there will be calls this week but I know that there will not be any calls tomorrow. Apparently he called people on April 1st one year and he couldn't figure out why people weren't especially happy. Some of them thought it was an April Fools Day joke. So he learned his lesson and if you hear from Dr. DeYoung tomorrow, it is someone pulling a mean joke on you.

I don't know if there will be calls this week but I know that there will not be any calls tomorrow. Apparently he called people on April 1st one year and he couldn't figure out why people weren't especially happy. Some of them thought it was an April Fools Day joke. So he learned his lesson and if you hear from Dr. DeYoung tomorrow, it is someone pulling a mean joke on you.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hey guys, I just went for an interview yesterday!!!!!!!!!! I did not do so well but guess what? I had so much funnnnnn!!!! everyone was so nice and friendly and funny too ^_^
I'll continue to reapply if I didnt get in hahahaha just to tell you how I felt about this school and its program!!! any P1 here can tell me abit about Dr. Metzger?

edited

Last edited:
I just got the call from Dr. DeYoung like a few minutes ago but I declined the offer so that opens up a spot for the rest of you guys. Good luck everyone!