University of Southern California Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PYLwar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a page limit for resume section of graduate application for USC Pharmacy program?

Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if there is a page limit for resume section of graduate application for USC Pharmacy program?

Thanks.:)

I don't remember if there was a page limit, but I had 2 pages for my resume.

does anyone know the essay topics on the supplemental application of USC? I know the supplemental application is two parts, i cant find the essays in part one so i'm guessing they are included in part two which i cant access!!!
can someone plz help me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrads Pharma Spia!!! and thanks for ur reply!

does anyone know the essay topics on the supplemental application of USC? I know the supplemental application is two parts, i cant find the essays in part one so i'm guessing they are included in part two which i cant access!!!
can someone plz help me!

If you read the instruction carefully, there is no essay for part I. http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/admission/supplemental_application.html
There are 3 questions in part II, and you only need to answer 2. You can't access part II until you complete and pay for part I, which is $85 That's the only supp fee. Hope this helps. Good luck

If you read the instruction carefully, there is no essay for part I. http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/admission/supplemental_application.html
There are 3 questions in part II, and you only need to answer 2. You can't access part II until you complete and pay for part I, which is $85 That's the only supp fee. Hope this helps. Good luck

How come after I finish with the Application for Admission, I could click onto Pharmacy under the Supplemental Forms? Are they the same?

Should I submit after I upload my resume and wait for further instructions?

Thanks.

How come after I finish with the Application for Admission, I could click onto Pharmacy under the Supplemental Forms? Are they the same?

Should I submit after I upload my resume and wait for further instructions?

Thanks.

This is what I saw when I clicked on the Pharmacy tab under the Supp Forms:

SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION FOR THE FOLLOWING PROGRAMS:
Molecular Pharmacology and Toxicology (M.S.) and (Ph.D.)
Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy (M.S.) and (Ph.D.)
Pharmaceutical Sciences (M.S.) and (Ph.D.)

spacer.gif
Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D. - pharmacists) and Regulatory Sciences applicants DO NOT CONTINUE. Please skip this section and click on "Submit Application" at the top right.
spacer.gif
So, just do what it says. :D GL

Make sure you turn in everything early :thumbup:

For the UCs, it doesn't matter (hold off on these apps til after)

Does anybody know normally how long the supp essays are? I know for question 1 the character limit is 2000 characters and for question 2 or 3 it's 3000 characters. But I wasn't sure if people on average write up to the character limit or if it's generally shorter. I read somewhere that the supp essay is what the interviewers read so I was wondering if it should it be shorter?

Thank you for your responses and good luck with your apps :)

Does anyone know what I should do if I'm not sure what CC I'm going to finish my pre-reqs at? There are three possible CCs, 2 that I have never taken classes at. Hopefully, I'm going to get into the classes at one of them, but I have no idea which one I'll be able to get into. Should I list all the possible colleges in the USC Graduate app?

Does anybody know normally how long the supp essays are? I know for question 1 the character limit is 2000 characters and for question 2 or 3 it's 3000 characters. But I wasn't sure if people on average write up to the character limit or if it's generally shorter. I read somewhere that the supp essay is what the interviewers read so I was wondering if it should it be shorter?

Not sure, but my essays were 300-400 characters less than the limit.

Has anyone submitted their supplemental application yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having trouble with Part 1 of the Supplement. Can someone help me? Under application information it askes 2. Please indicate the school or college to which you are applying and I put Pharmacy. However they asked 3. Select your intended program of study and PharmD was not on it. What am I suppose to put?

Did anyone fill in anything under Research Experience?
If I was a Research Assistant do I need to fill in that part of the application? Thanks!

Does anyone know what I should do if I'm not sure what CC I'm going to finish my pre-reqs at? There are three possible CCs, 2 that I have never taken classes at. Hopefully, I'm going to get into the classes at one of them, but I have no idea which one I'll be able to get into. Should I list all the possible colleges in the USC Graduate app?

I recommend calling the school to ask. It's still early in the application cycle, they have all the time for questions

I'm having trouble with Part 1 of the Supplement. Can someone help me? Under application information it askes 2. Please indicate the school or college to which you are applying and I put Pharmacy. However they asked 3. Select your intended program of study and PharmD was not on it. What am I suppose to put?

When I select the Term as Fall 2011 and Program as Pharmacy, the 3rd box changes to Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.)
Maybe select them all again. GL

Did anyone fill in anything under Research Experience?
If I was a Research Assistant do I need to fill in that part of the application? Thanks!

I'd just include that in the resume. I left that research section blank since it's not required, but I don't think it'd hurt to fill it. Again, confirm with the school if you're not sure.

So the AdComs read both the PharmCas and the supplemental essays, but the interviewers only read the supplemental essays? Can anyone confirm this? Thank you in advance! :)

I think I'm about to submit the supplemental application.

The interviewers had access to my supplemental.. but I'm not sure if they had my PharmCAS in front of them.. pretty sure that wasn't the case. The professor read through my supp during the interview, trying to find something interesting to ask me about. So be prepared for questions coming from your supplemental!

So the AdComs read both the PharmCas and the supplemental essays, but the interviewers only read the supplemental essays? Can anyone confirm this? Thank you in advance! :)

This is correct. The interviewers only get the supplemental, not the pharmcas. We won't know if it's the same different or otherwise. The adcom will get both. I've done 4 interview sessions, 2 wrap-up (Q&A) sessions and 4 ice-breakers (pre-interview stuff). If you have any questions, let me know.

Class of 2014's application year thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=634079
Class of 2013's application year thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=534454

In case you wanted to look up some of the last couple of years questions

Last edited:
Just submitted my supplemental application :thumbup:

On Part I of the USC Supplemental, there's a page titled Additional questions. Do we have to answer 6,7 & 8??? Here they are:
6. Research Topics:
Please list 2 or 3 scholarly/research topics that are especially interesting to you.

7. Faculty:
Please list the names of 2 or 3 faculty members whose research you find most interesting and with whom you wish to work during your graduate studies.

8. Research Experience: Describe your pertinent research experience, training and publications. For your Research Experience, please describe in your own words the overall goals, your role in the research project, whether you worked independently or as part of a group and the overall results that you obtained. For publications, please provide the complete reference information that would be included in a scientific journal such as Science, Nature or Cell.

On Part I of the USC Supplemental, there's a page titled Additional questions. Do we have to answer 6,7 & 8??? Here they are:
6. Research Topics:
Please list 2 or 3 scholarly/research topics that are especially interesting to you.

7. Faculty:
Please list the names of 2 or 3 faculty members whose research you find most interesting and with whom you wish to work during your graduate studies.

8. Research Experience: Describe your pertinent research experience, training and publications. For your Research Experience, please describe in your own words the overall goals, your role in the research project, whether you worked independently or as part of a group and the overall results that you obtained. For publications, please provide the complete reference information that would be included in a scientific journal such as Science, Nature or Cell.

If I can remember correctly, you don't have to answer any questions that are not required. I just answered number 8 out of those 3 questions.

I am asking this specific thread because I know a lot of accepted and current USC do read these forums and give a lot of insight.

What is the USC adcom's attitude towards out of state students. I know that it is a private school and there are no preference to California students. But how many out of state students do you know currently in the pharmD program? Do your stat's have to be much better than the average USC applicant when you are applying from OOS??

USC is a school that requires a lot of pre-rec courses. I will graduate with my BS in biology in May 2011 but still have a lot of pre-recs to complete.

This is my schedule of now/the upcoming semesters (these are just pre-recs I still need to complete. I am taking other classes as well)

Summer 2010: O.Chem 1, Phys 2
Fall 2010: O.Chem 2, Biochemistry, Physiology
Spring 2011: Microbiology, Molecular Biology

It's not good that the ad com won't know my grades in these courses. But I currently have a 3.6GPA overall with taking some other upper level sciences courses and while in the honors program at my university?

Will these missing pre-recs be my demise??

Thanks in advance

If we only took one sem of Gen Chem, we can use biochem to satisfy the 2nd sem right? but is it possible to use the same biochem class to satisfy the biochem requirement? would we just enter the course twice? I'm so confused... :-(

Last edited:
If we only took one sem of Gen Chem, we can use biochem to satisfy the 2nd sem right? but is it possible to use the same biochem class to satisfy the biochem requirement? would we just enter the course twice? I'm so confused... :-(

I'm not sure I've heard of that before. You can always call the admissions office.

I just called them, and they said it's fine...they do make exceptions for certain schools. PHEW!!!

PharmCAS apps were mailed out this morning! So nervous :scared:

I am asking this specific thread because I know a lot of accepted and current USC do read these forums and give a lot of insight.

What is the USC adcom's attitude towards out of state students. I know that it is a private school and there are no preference to California students. But how many out of state students do you know currently in the pharmD program? Do your stat's have to be much better than the average USC applicant when you are applying from OOS??

USC is a school that requires a lot of pre-rec courses. I will graduate with my BS in biology in May 2011 but still have a lot of pre-recs to complete.

This is my schedule of now/the upcoming semesters (these are just pre-recs I still need to complete. I am taking other classes as well)

Summer 2010: O.Chem 1, Phys 2
Fall 2010: O.Chem 2, Biochemistry, Physiology
Spring 2011: Microbiology, Molecular Biology

It's not good that the ad com won't know my grades in these courses. But I currently have a 3.6GPA overall with taking some other upper level sciences courses and while in the honors program at my university?

Will these missing pre-recs be my demise??

Thanks in advance

Out of state doesn't matter, I couldn't tell you how many we currently have, but it's relatively proportional to the number of OOS applicants. I want to say we get into the 30s that apply, but it's been 5 months since I've seen the stats. Last year's average was in the 3.6-3.7 range last I heard so you should be somewhat competitive with this years applicants. As for the number of outstanding classes, unless you get a November interview spot, they'll have your updated information by the January interviews. By then only 2 classes will be short and there shouldn't be any problems taking you with only 2 classes short. They took me and I was still missing a few at the time (Anatomy/Physiology 2, Stats, and I think one other class.)

I am going to be a P1 starting this month here at SC.

I am from Chicago and went to undergrad at Indiana, so out of staters do exist. However I would say that 85-90% of the class are California residents.

I also had a November interview, and was lacking Physiology, Biochem, Microbio, and Molecular Bio and was still accepted.

So there is hope. Good luck on your application

I am missing some prereqs as well. Finishing Ochem II this week, Microbio & Physics II in the Fall, and Physio & Biochem in the Spring. Hopefully I still get an interview :xf:

Does anybody have the questions for USC's part 2 application? I am not ready to submit part 1 yet, but I want to brainstorm a bit before I actually get to part 2

Also do I need to send another set of transcripts to them? If so what is the address?

Thank you

You have to answer the first question. You can choose between questions 2 and 3.

1. What have you done to prepare for admission and a career in pharmacy? (Re-applicants should focus on specific things -activities, additional educational studies, etc. - which strengthen the file from the previous application.) (2000 Characters)

2. If you believe that your college transcripts or your resume does not adequately portray your past performance or your future promise as a pharmacist, please feel free to explain the reasons for the disparity; for example, employment, extracurricular activities, personal characteristics or illness. (3000 Characters)

3. What unique, personal qualities and/or life experiences will you bring to your pharmacy career? (3000 Characters)

Yeah, besides the transcripts that are to PharmCAS, you need to send transcripts directly to USC.

Office of Admission and Student Affairs
School of Pharmacy
University of Southern California
1985 Zonal Avenue, PSC 206A
Los Angeles, CA 90089-9121

If I remember correctly, you can submit part one and then fill out and submit part two at a later date.

I do believe that if you are selected for an interview, they will have access to your responses to these questions.

I am also an out of state student from NJ and was accepted for USC '14. There were only two out of state applications during my interview session (myself included) but Jim mentioned there were more for the interviews in the later timeslots.

Does it matter how the resume is formatted? Should I include an objective section in the beginning?

Does it matter how the resume is formatted? Should I include an objective section in the beginning?

I'm pretty sure the resume is however you like to format it. Everyone has their own style and preferences. The standard stuff should be included (name, contact info, education info, work experience). Other optional sections could include Skills (i.e. soft or certified/hard skills), leadership experience, research experience, objectives, related coursework, etc. depending on how much room you need for the 1 page resume.

It is totally up to you on what to include and how to include it. You can always check with your career center to have them review your resume.

Is it proper to put emails as contact information of the club officers so that USC can verify my ECs? i.e emails of vice-president, president...etc...?

Thanks

Is it proper to put emails as contact information of the club officers so that USC can verify my ECs? i.e emails of vice-president, president...etc...?

Thanks

I'm not sure. I put numbers just in case. A call to the admissions wouldn't hurt though :0)

For those that submitted their supplemental already, have you guys received a confirmation e-mail??

anyone else having problems pasting text into the Application Issues section for the supps? It won't let me paste text.

anyone else having problems pasting text into the Application Issues section for the supps? It won't let me paste text.

Even though it said copy & paste, it didn't allow me to do that.

What I did was typing everything into those 2 boxes :thumbdown: