University of San Francisco

El Nino

Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forums. I am posting because I was wondering does anyone know if University of San Francisco has a good science department (Biology, Chemistry and Physics etc.) and pre-med advisor? I did a few searches on SDN (and Yahoo.com/answers) but did not find anything (useful) regarding this university.

I am planning to attend this college for pre medical studies with intentions on majoring in psychology (love this topic) or neuroscience or other topics that I may find interesting. I am aware most advice given to high school hopefuls is "undergrad school" does not matter, however, how is USF viewed by medical schools? According to most, schools that are not UCs' or Stanford are viewed as easy schools (in California).

-Thanks, any info regarding USF appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say your best bet is to talk to UCSF directly.
What do you mean by a good pre-med advisor? Most can be somewhat helpful with setting up your schedule and telling you about volunteer/research opportunities. I still find SDN to be more helpful, though.

If you are out of state and can afford it, ask if you can schedule an invitation to tour their campus. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to assist you with that.

I grew up in California and heard about the great programs UCSF and Berkeley offered, but that is where my knowledge stops. I don't think medical schools view any schools as easy. Unless it's a community college, a four year institution is great. I had a friend get accepted to Harvard Medical School with an undergrad at a 'no name'.

I'd also suggest talking with your high school counselor about more possible opportunities.

If you don't know much about the science programs at UCSF, what makes you want to go there? :)

What do you mean by a good pre-med advisor? Most can be somewhat helpful with setting up your schedule and telling you about volunteer/research opportunities. I still find SDN to be more helpful, though.

If you are out of state and can afford it, ask if you can schedule an invitation to tour their campus. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to assist you with that.

I grew up in California and heard about the great programs UCSF and Berkeley offered, but that is where my knowledge stops. I don't think medical schools view any schools as easy. Unless it's a community college, a four year institution is great. I had a friend get accepted to Harvard Medical School with an undergrad at a 'no name'.

I'd also suggest talking with your high school counselor about more possible opportunities.

If you don't know much about the science programs at UCSF, what makes you want to go there?

First off, USF (private university) is different from UCSF (medical school).

USF - www.usfca.edu/
USCF - www.ucsf.edu/

What are the names of the "great programs" you have heard? (If you can recall this information)

What "no name" college did your friend attend? (Not that it matters but, just curious)

Also, I live in San Francisco, California. I want to attend USF because it's convenient and supposedly offers a good education. I posted because I wanted to learn more about the science department at USF from the perspective of pre med students.

First off, USF (private university) is different from UCSF (medical school).

USF - www.usfca.edu/
USCF - www.ucsf.edu/

What are the names of the "great programs" you have heard? (If you can recall this information)

What "no name" college did your friend attend? (Not that it matters but, just curious)

Also, I live in San Francisco, California. I want to attend USF because it’s convenient and supposedly offers a good education. I posted because I wanted to learn more about the science department at USF from the perspective of pre med students.

Oops, I apologize!

I graduated high school around the San Fran area, where people talked about going to USF, Chico, and UCD, etc. I do not recall any of the specific programs, so hopefully someone else on the forums will help you with that.
http://www.usfca.edu/acadserv/admission/undergraduate/visit_program.html I'm assuming you already did that, though. :)

As for the 'no name' college, it was Oakland University in Michigan. It's a great college, but it isn't one of the top public school Universities like Berkeley or U Mich. Also, many people haven't heard of it outside of Michigan residents. They are opening a new medical school come '10, though!