UC Santa Cruz for pre-med?

JadeLaura

Reaction score
I'm a senior in high school who is a biology major and interested in pre-med, and eventually going to medical school. I was admitted to UC Santa Cruz, and am considering attending for undergrad. One of my primary concerns is that at UCSC I will not be able to maintain the high gpa required for medical school matriculation, since the student body could potentially by competitive. In high school I had a very strong gpa, but I understand college is an adjustment for many students and that maintaining academic success is difficult.

I am not sure if UCSC is ideal for students interested in pre-health since it lacks a medical school. Some people have told me that the general biology classes with a lab have to be taken at another university since UCSC does not have a lab of it's own. I am not sure how true this statement is. I also heard on-campus clubs/opportunities for pre-med students particularly at UCSC are slim. Thoughts?

Does anyone have any experience with pre-med at UC Santa Cruz? I'd also love to hear what sorts of opportunities there are for pre-meds on campus. Is it difficult to maintain a high gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a senior in high school who is a biology major and interested in pre-med, and eventually going to medical school. I was admitted to UC Santa Cruz, and am considering attending for undergrad. One of my primary concerns is that at UCSC I will not be able to maintain the high gpa required for medical school matriculation, since the student body could potentially by competitive. In high school I had a very strong gpa, but I understand college is an adjustment for many students and that maintaining academic success is difficult.

I am not sure if UCSC is ideal for students interested in pre-health since it lacks a medical school. Some people have told me that the general biology classes with a lab have to be taken at another university since UCSC does not have a lab of it's own. I am not sure how true this statement is. I also heard on-campus clubs/opportunities for pre-med students particularly at UCSC are slim. Thoughts?

Does anyone have any experience with pre-med at UC Santa Cruz? I'd also love to hear what sorts of opportunities there are for pre-meds on campus. Is it difficult to maintain a high gpa?
Is UCSC allowing tours or visits right now? It sounds like most of your questions could be answered by visiting the campus. However, that may not be possible as California schools are going online for the fall semester.

Going to a university without a medical school isn't a problem, but I would recommend going somewhere with a decent pre-med track. You at least want to make sure that UCSC students are accepted to med schools yearly.

I'm not very familiar with UCSC, so I can't specifically answer all of your questions.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I heard that some medical schools (at least here in the midwest) are not accepting credit from online lab classes. I'm not sure if Cali med schools are doing the same thing, but I'd look into it before I take any online labs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user