University of Queensland Ochsner Clinic Program recognized by all 50 States?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recently looked into the program however I have decided not to apply. The Ochsner students are currently not eligible to practice in California (per the application: i. UQ is in the process of making an application for recognition to the Medical Board of California. Graduates of the UQ-Ochsner program would not be allowed to become licensed in California at this time.) or New York (read it somewhere online, schools must be on a list of medical schools approved to conduct long-term clinical electives outside the country where the school is located, UQ Ochsner is NOT on this list).

$208,000 is a lot of money to ask for a program that isn't recognized by all 50 states. If you want to study medicine at the University of Queensland the best bet is to apply to traditional 4-year program that is conducted entirely in Australia.
Starting May 1, 2014 California Medical Board approved UQ Ochsner program for California residency and practice in California retro to Jan 2009

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, I am glad to know that UQ has been approved by California, But what about the other states? Anyone has a list or can show me where to find it? Thank you.

Hey, I am glad to know that UQ has been approved by California, But what about the other states? Anyone has a list or can show me where to find it? Thank you.

It is approved by almost all the states already. California's board is the most strict so if it is approved by California you can bet its approved by every other state. That is why the title of this thread is recognized by all 50 states.

As long as the school is listed on IMED it is approved in most states except California and the ones that follow California.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting May 1, 2014 California Medical Board approved UQ Ochsner program for California residency and practice in California retro to Jan 2009
Awesome news! Could you please show me the source as well? Thanks :)

To be clear: UQ-O is currently approved without any issues in 49 states. The last state is NY and the reason it hasn't yet been approved is bureaucratic BS. The details really don't matter much. Suffice it to say, the program will be approved in NY, retroactive and without restriction, once the paperwork finally gets processed. When exactly that will happen... I don't know. I am continually surprised as to how much red tape BS can hold things up. That said, it will happen and I imagine sometime in the next year or two. I'd like to say that it certainly won't be a problem for anyone in the incoming class, but I've said that before and was burned when bureaucracy showed me how stupid and slow it really can be.

As for Cali, I can assure you it is completely and totally approved. There are currently two UQ-O grads in residency in Cali.

hi all,

I recently got admitted to university of queensland medical school. i am very scared, and do not know if i should start studying medicine or decline this offer. my MCAT score was 24, yah pretty crap, but my undergraduate GPA in psychology was alright, and i did pretty well in pre-requisite biology and chemistry courses. However, I also studied doctor of pharmacy. I struggled with Doctor of pharmacy, failed biochemistry, pharmokinetic, pharmacodynamic, endocrinology and cardiology! yes, I know awesome! our passing cut of was 60%. I dropped out of pharmacy school and decided to pursue law. in all fairness, law is much easier and i know I will graduate from law if i complete my degree. i am in my second year of a two years accelerated law program. should i be insane enough to leave my law program and start medicine? do you guys think i can handle medicine or I will drop out? please respond asap as i need to accept my offer from queensland if i really want it. thanks

hi all,

I recently got admitted to university of queensland medical school. i am very scared, and do not know if i should start studying medicine or decline this offer. my MCAT score was 24, yah pretty crap, but my undergraduate GPA in psychology was alright, and i did pretty well in pre-requisite biology and chemistry courses. However, I also studied doctor of pharmacy. I struggled with Doctor of pharmacy, failed biochemistry, pharmokinetic, pharmacodynamic, endocrinology and cardiology! yes, I know awesome! our passing cut of was 60%. I dropped out of pharmacy school and decided to pursue law. in all fairness, law is much easier and i know I will graduate from law if i complete my degree. i am in my second year of a two years accelerated law program. should i be insane enough to leave my law program and start medicine? do you guys think i can handle medicine or I will drop out? please respond asap as i need to accept my offer from queensland if i really want it. thanks

You've given a very small window (and given the medium and format can't really give much of a bigger one) into who you are and your abilities and are asking for complete strangers to weigh in.

What I am getting at is that you haven't given any reasonable person any information that would be able to prompt an honest answer of "Why yes! You should definitely ditch law school and go into medicine."

The doctor with the highest MCAT or the highest Step 1 scores is not the best doctor. However MCAT scores do correlate with how well you are likely to do in medical school, particularly your M1&2 years and your Step 1. GPA is a good indicator, but psychology is a very different beast than the sorts of stuff that make up the bulk of what you need to know, particularly for the Step 1 so I would not consider your psych GPA to be informative. However the fact that you failed some of the biggest and most important things for M1&2 and Step 1 year in your PharmD courses does.

You may be painting an unfairly negative picture of yourself, but given the very hard facts you've provided in my honest opinion you should stick with your law program. I've seen people fail out of this program. I've seen people struggle and fail the Step 1. And they've been people that didn't fail biochem, etc and had better MCAT scores. And if you do fail, you'll not only be behind but also many tens of thousands of dollars in additional non-dischargable debt.

I'm really not trying to be mean, but re-read what you wrote and put yourself in the position of someone attempting to answer the question you've posed. Do you think you could actually give any different answer?

Reactions: 1 users