~*~University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Class of 2011 ~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!

I got my "acceptance email" yesterday and I was just wondering how long it was between that and the cool personalized snail mail letter? I'm looking forward to it, but I'm leaving school for christmas break in 5 days and I really hope it comes before that!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

I got my "acceptance email" yesterday and I was just wondering how long it was between that and the cool personalized snail mail letter? I'm looking forward to it, but I'm leaving school for christmas break in 5 days and I really hope it comes before that!

Dude... how long is your Christmas break? That's quite a long time.

Anyway, I received my packet ~ four days after my first email, and I'm in Phila.

Edit: Congrats!!! :luck:

Dude... how long is your Christmas break? That's quite a long time.

Anyway, I received my packet ~ four days after my first email, and I'm in Phila.

Edit: Congrats!!! :luck:

Haha, my christmas break is 6 weeks long, thanksgiving - new years. Crazy huh? I really like it because you can make a good bit of money in that time.

Members don't see this ad :)
HAPPY TURKEY DAYS EVERYBODY! :D

(still no word from Pitt; I'm guessing next week or one after that) :luck:

Hey guys. Just got the acceptance email on Friday. Very excited!

Is anyone applying to the PSTP or CSTP?

Hey guys. Just got the acceptance email on Friday. Very excited!

When did you Interview? :idea:

I'm still waiting, but I intvw'ed on 10/25! :eek:

Happy soon to be Turkey Day! :D

Thanks,

Oh, I see. I didn't understand your PM, Algorhythmik. I interviewed on 10/18 and received the email from my student interviewer on 11/17.

The Texas Tech thread has much prettier thread title design than what I managed to come up with. I'm a little jealous, actually.

Okay... so it's more than just "a little", but whatever.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYBODY! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Peeps :thumbup:

I just got an e-mail saying I'd get news this week! :eek:

Why does this stuff take so long??? I mean, I'm just whining here, venting to my kindred spirits. I intvwd on 10/25, so its only been 4 days and a month to the day. But still ... woe is me; I'm dyin here!!! :laugh: <wonders to self about future>

I hope it's not the bad kind of news man. :luck: That would be a real kick in the spermatocord. :oops:

I'll Letcha Guys Know what happens! FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!

Hey Peeps :thumbup:

I just got an e-mail from Paula Davis saying I'd get news this week! :eek:

Why does this take so long??? I mean, I'm just whining. I intvwd on 10/25, so its only been 4 days post a month passing. But still ... woe is me. :laugh:

I hope it's not the bad kind. :luck: I hope she wouldn't say that if it was gonna be bad news. That would be a real kick in the spermatocord. :oops:

I'll Letcha Guys Know what happens! FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!

I agree with Sev! I think you're in Algo! Congrats!!!

Congrats, Algo! I hope you're in too.

I think I went to committee today....

I am SUPER anxious about hearing back. <<Fingers crossed>>

If I am, I've yet to hear today. But fingers crossed. I'll let you guys blow the horns of victory if I get the lucky email/letter, as soon as I know. :D

I wanna sit at the Cool Kids' table too man ... :love:

DEAL? PS: I will come in and ask ... "Where's Burnsie?" :laugh:

PAYCE! :luck:

Yup... I'm applying to the PSTP program. I'm just waiting until I get "my" publications out the door. Dear Lord, I hope they're out prior to the March 1st deadline. *prays*

Does it matter when you apply to the PSTP/CSTP programs? Should you submit before the interview?

Severus and G*****, did you talk to anyone about your research when you were there? How do they make decisions?

Any info appreciated, I think I'm going to call them up tomorrow and see if I can get the DL.

Does it matter when you apply to the PSTP/CSTP programs? Should you submit before the interview?

Severus and G*****, did you talk to anyone about your research when you were there? How do they make decisions?

Any info appreciated, I think I'm going to call them up tomorrow and see if I can get the DL.

I don't know if it matters when you apply. I have a gut feeling that perhaps the scholarships are non-rolling, but I really don't have any evidence for that other than the general tone of the correspondence I've received from them. At any rate, I'm still going to hold off until mid-January/Feb...

I spoke quite a bit about my research while I was there. They seem to want to go research heavy, and -- this is just my guess -- I think it really helped me in the admissions process there.

I'll PM you the guy I've contacted about PSTP.

:(

Hey Guys ... sorry to disappoint. My hopes were high; I was thinking the same as all of you when I got that e-mail I spoke of earlier.

I'm on High Wait-List, according to Paula as of 5 mins ago. I'm really bummed.

<points to self> "the traveling minstrel of all ballads sad, strumming his poor tunes with the engorging cleft of no home beneath him, singing, as the wings of his better angels rise above the incantations of inner demons."

+pity+

Til May 15th do us part ... POST HOC, ERGO PROPTER HOC

- ALGO.

Woah. :( :( I'm so sorry Algo. I feel like a total ****-head right now... since when did they start emailing people on the waitlist that "they'd be hearing soon?" That seems kind of evil, unless there was previous correspondence between you two that I don't know about.

Sorry Algo. I'm rooting for you! I think the WL moves a lot come May, though.

:(

Hey Guys ... sorry to disappoint. My hopes were high; I was thinking the same as all of you when I got that e-mail I spoke of earlier.

I'm on High Wait-List, according to Paula as of 5 mins ago. I'm really bummed.

<points to self> "the traveling minstrel of all ballads sad, strumming his poor tunes with the engorging cleft of no home beneath him, singing, as the wings of his better angels rise above the incantations of inner demons."

+pity+

Til May 15th do us part ... POST HOC, ERGO PROPTER HOC

- ALGO.

heard from Paula on occasion, but not since my interview. It was all pre-interview pep for my file, etc. She randomly wrote me on Tuesday to say I'd get news this week. But I hear ya - I figured that was only good bodings.

Please don't feel bad! lol haha. It happens, sometimes. I'll drop in here a few months from now, ok, 6 months from now, lol. We'll see what happens.

Congratulations to all of you guys. I hope you're psyched. Pitt is such a wonderful place. I'm really bummed about this.

Just joined the club :)

I'm torn between Pitt and other schools...but I'm still very in love with Pitt :love:

Just spreading some love :love:

i emailed pitt to make sure they got my acceptance form and also to ask if they knew when second look would be. they said it's usually at the beginning of april.

hey guys! i got my acceptance a few weeks ago and im really excited about it. im waiting to hear from a few schools, but ive pretty much decided im going to pitt!

anyways, im applying for the cstp and pstp and was wondering if someone could clear up a question of mine: do you get full-tuition reimbersement for the 4 years of medical school in addition to the research year? or is it just tuition during the research year? i think i might be confusing myself from the descriptions of the programs...

anyways congrats to everyone! and go bucks! (im from ohio state :) )

hey guys! i got my acceptance a few weeks ago and im really excited about it. im waiting to hear from a few schools, but ive pretty much decided im going to pitt!

anyways, im applying for the cstp and pstp and was wondering if someone could clear up a question of mine: do you get full-tuition reimbersement for the 4 years of medical school in addition to the research year? or is it just tuition during the research year? i think i might be confusing myself from the descriptions of the programs...

anyways congrats to everyone! and go bucks! (im from ohio state :) )

The "Training Programs" include a full-ride scholarship. Best of luck :thumbup: .

i emailed pitt to make sure they got my acceptance form and also to ask if they knew when second look would be. they said it's usually at the beginning of april.

One of the deans told me it would be April 12 - 14.

I will be in Thailand during second look weekend. I knew this beforehand, of course, but it still makes me sad. I guess I don't recall all that much about Pitt because it was my first interview and I didn't know what questions to ask. Maybe you guys can answer a few of mine?

1) Are there grades? (I never asked...)
2) Where do we do 3-4 year rotations?
3) What is the aid like for students "in need". Is there any scholarship money available for non-physician-scientists after a certain amount of loan, or do we start going into the grad plus loan stuff?
4) An interviewer from a different school asked me where I had been accepted (he had been telling me that his school wasn't competitive enough)...I told him the few schools, and when I said "Pitt" he was like "Now, Pitt's a nice, competitive, stressful school like I like..." Any thoughts on this? Sorry to tie up the forum, but I guess I just don't remember...

I will be in Thailand during second look weekend. I knew this beforehand, of course, but it still makes me sad. I guess I don't recall all that much about Pitt because it was my first interview and I didn't know what questions to ask. Maybe you guys can answer a few of mine?

3) What is the aid like for students "in need". Is there any scholarship money available for non-physician-scientists after a certain amount of loan, or do we start going into the grad plus loan stuff?
4) An interviewer from a different school asked me where I had been accepted (he had been telling me that his school wasn't competitive enough)...I told him the few schools, and when I said "Pitt" he was like "Now, Pitt's a nice, competitive, stressful school like I like..." Any thoughts on this? Sorry to tie up the forum, but I guess I just don't remember...

1.) I believe the grading there is "honors/high pass/pass/fail" (total hearsay) which doesn't really excite me, but... whatever.

2.) UPMC's are pretty much all over the place as far as I understand. I think you can go all over Pittsburgh and probably Western PA if you wanted to.

3.) no clue.

4. Probably no more competitive than any other top school. I mean, I've heard a lot of people comment on how nice Pitt students are, and that seemed to be thecase when I interviewed there.

Perhaps some Pitt students can chime in here???

I've been looking for the practical differences between the PSTP and the CSTP. From what I understand, PSTP is a newer program, but beyond that I can't really see much of a difference. Severus, maybe you know....care to explain?

I believe the difference is basically the type of research you'd conduct in the program... basic science/bench v. clinical. I haven't researched the CSTP program much but from what I gather of the PSTP, they have you take a few extra science classes.

That's kind of a shady answer, but it's the only thing I've got at the moment. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

I believe the difference is basically the type of research you'd conduct in the program... basic science/bench v. clinical. I haven't researched the CSTP program much but from what I gather of the PSTP, they have you take a few extra science classes.

That's kind of a shady answer, but it's the only thing I've got at the moment. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Right on, Severus... CSTP = clinical research while PSTP = bench research.

Thanks! Methinks I shall be applying...

Grading is honors/pass/fail.

UPMC is awesome. Presby is the major hospital, but there are also other smaller hospitals.

There is a lot of scholarship money available at Pitt, from what I understand. They have good merit and need based aid.

I don't think Pitt is stressful. I know about 10 students there, and have met a few dozen more, and they all love it there.

bumping.

A bit off topic... I really hope these papers get out the door soon... i want to start on the PSTP application. YARGH! Publications. :rolleyes:

when are you guys going to start looking for apartments and such?

when are you guys going to start looking for apartments and such?

I'll be traveling til July so:
First week of July for the search and deal
Move in by August

Any news/thoughts about the new med student dorm?

Weren't we supposed to get pitt email addresses and access to the "zone" by now?

I indicated that if I attend Pitt, I'd want to stay in the new dorm. I havn't heard much about it since, and I was wondering if I should count on it being ready. Think I'll be out apartment hunting come July?

I just received a Christmas Card from U Pitt. They had a picture of the staff and said thank you for including them in my medical school plans. I thought it was really sweet. :)

Hi Everyone and congrats! I just discovered that this tread existed! Right now I'm still unsure where I will be next year, but I love Pitt, and I will definitely be at the second look weekend--looking forward to meeting all of you there!

How did I miss this thread? Currently, that's where I'm going, but I'm waiting to hear back from some of the non-rolling schools before I make a decision. Right now, I'll be at the second look weekend in April. Does anyone know if they pay for the transportation to and from?

I just received a Christmas Card from U Pitt. They had a picture of the staff and said thank you for including them in my medical school plans. I thought it was really sweet. :)

I didn't get one! They must not have liked me as much :(

I indicated that if I attend Pitt, I'd want to stay in the new dorm. I havn't heard much about it since, and I was wondering if I should count on it being ready. Think I'll be out apartment hunting come July?

I thought they said that the on-campus apartments will open in August. Hopefully that should be enough time to be able to get moved in before classes. I'm not sure what I'm doing if I go to Pitt yet. My dad wants to move me out right after graduation since my school is on the way to Pittsburgh so I might have to find a place to live out there a little earlier.