~~University of Pennsylvania c/o 2010~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
starbright said:
do any of u know what gyms are around there? such as LA fitness, 24 hr, ballys...?

Just Penn's Pottruck gym - as a grad student you'll have to purchase a membership (it's not included in your fee structure).

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys..what do u think about the hub on chestnut? The guy said it will be ready..but do u think it will all be ready? cuz yah if a floor is ready we can liveon that floor..but then we have to deal with loud construction..so what do u think?

starbright said:
hey guys..what do u think about the hub on chestnut? The guy said it will be ready..but do u think it will all be ready? cuz yah if a floor is ready we can liveon that floor..but then we have to deal with loud construction..so what do u think?

i think a lot of students mentioned previously that they thought it was risky, and didn't want to have to deal with the fact that it might not be ready...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello my precious darlings! It's been such a while. I've missed you guys so much! Just wanted to holler! :love:

hey guys..i'm going to be in philly June 9th and 10th ..a friday and saturaday to go apt hunting..anyway, i was just wondering if any of u guys want to meet up? maybe we can have a penn dinner thing? or go to a bar..mmk let me know!

starbright said:
hey guys..i'm going to be in philly June 9th and 10th ..a friday and saturaday to go apt hunting..anyway, i was just wondering if any of u guys want to meet up? maybe we can have a penn dinner thing? or go to a bar..mmk let me know!

awww i was thinking of stopping by on sunday on my way down from nyc back to dc.. maybe if ur still in the area we can meet up =)

Hey, guys and future classmates...

It's kinda out of subject...but I am wondering when should we reply back
to Penn about our financial aid package?
I'm pretty sure they sent me the package, but I don't have an access to it
since I'm out of country right now and won't be back until the end of June.
If we have to reply back to school before end of June, I would like to contact
school ASAP otherwise I would patiently wait until I get back.

Thank you so much~~!!!

lotus24 said:
awww i was thinking of stopping by on sunday on my way down from nyc back to dc.. maybe if ur still in the area we can meet up =)

aww on sunday ill be back in jersey to fly out back to cali........aww too bad we're just missing each other!

anyone going to be at penn this sunday? :)

Has anyone figured out this immunization stuff yet?

ughno, i still need to do that tho..i think u just take that huge form to ur doctor and they'll take care of the rest. i feel like im getting ready to go to india or something with all those shots tho :)

starbright said:
ughno, i still need to do that tho..i think u just take that huge form to ur doctor and they'll take care of the rest. i feel like im getting ready to go to india or something with all those shots tho :)
Form? there was a form in the packet that came with the immunzation requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)
r0entgen said:
yeah there was...
great i didnt get that? i wonder what else i am missing.

Hey! I just got back from a trip to Philly...I had no idea that so many of you would be there this past weekend--looks like we were there at the same time! Sorry I missed you :(

I know most of you have pretty much figured out your housing, but if anyone was still considering Sansom (like I was), I just wanted to let you know that I checked it out and wasn't so impressed. I guess Sprgrover was right about it. They were doing a lot of construction on Sansom East, so they might be improving some things...but it still didn't seem worth the money. I found a better place for almost the same price much closer to the school.

Anyways, I'm really excited about moving into Philly and can't wait to meet you all!

cowsgomoo said:
great i didnt get that? i wonder what else i am missing.

did you get the package with penn's magazine in there? i think the immunisation information was included with that mailing.

i'm not a penn dental student but i'm applying there this year and i was wondering what you all could tell me about the school, what you think they look for in candidates, why you chose penn and anything else you would like to say. Thanks!

r0entgen said:
did you get the package with penn's magazine in there? i think the immunisation information was included with that mailing.
I got that packet but only thing it had was an explanation of what shots are required and recommended. Shouldn’t there also be a form that my doc needs to fill out to verify that I haven taken these shots? I think that’s what I am missing.

cowsgomoo said:
I got that packet but only thing it had was an explanation of what shots are required and recommended. Shouldn’t there also be a form that my doc needs to fill out to verify that I haven taken these shots? I think that’s what I am missing.

i don't think that form exists. it was just a form of the necessary shots that we needed to have. your doctor should have all the shots you've ever taken on file...and he can just photocopy that, and send it off...

r0entgen said:
i don't think that form exists. it was just a form of the necessary shots that we needed to have. your doctor should have all the shots you've ever taken on file...and he can just photocopy that, and send it off...
Ohh ok cool. I thought i needed something else. :D :D

r0entgen said:
hey guys, in case anyone cared, you can set up your penn email account now by going here:

https://rosetta.upenn.edu/cgi-bin/w...?app=webmail-isc&server=mail.dental.upenn.edu

entering your login info, then selecting the dot for "account services."

too bad we can't change our login though...so it's gona have to be the pennkey llogin..even though it acts like you can change it.. -_-

When and how did you get the pennkey login ID? I still haven't received it so I can't access anything.
Also, for the immunization stuff, I thought we could put the information in ourselves online. Can someone tell me what I have to do?

honeywell said:
When and how did you get the pennkey login ID? I still haven't received it so I can't access anything.
Also, for the immunization stuff, I thought we could put the information in ourselves online. Can someone tell me what I have to do?

oh. we got information on setting up the pennkey a LOOOONG time ago. like back in march i think...you may want to call penn up and ask them about possibly sending you another mailing. cuz there is an expiration on the activation code.

honeywell said:

actually the front office doesn't handle your pennkey stuff. it's another place...but if u call the front office they can give you the phone number. then when u call that number u have to type in like your soc. sec, birth date, etc...after they make sure it's you they'll send you everything in the mail and you can set it all up...

so when i visited the admissions office, they told me that our yrs avg gpa was over a 3.7!! last yrs was around a 3.5....anyway, just thought u guys might wanna know :)

starbright said:
so when i visited the admissions office, they told me that our yrs avg gpa was over a 3.7!! last yrs was around a 3.5....anyway, just thought u guys might wanna know :)
Ohhhh....sweet. Crap that means more people with big brains. :scared: :scared:

starbright said:

AHH! :eek:

When is due-date of first tuition?

hey can u guys access your email accounts yet?

starbright said:
hey can u guys access your email accounts yet?

yeah...im all logged in and mail can be sent & received..

porsche7 said:
When is due-date of first tuition?

i was under the impression it was the end of july....can anyone confirm for sure? july 28th or something?

starbright said:
Nice.

Does anybody has an academic calendar?
I must have lost the schedule sheet that they had sent it.
Can anyone tell me when the school starts and ends?
Thank you so much guys..

Thank you so much guys..

Zoomzoomz said:
Thank you so much guys..

orientation starts aug 21

first day of classes aug 28

last day of classes june 15

r0entgen said:

what is the link u use for the email? i dont know why mine isn't working.

r0entgen said:

When does the winter break starts?

Thanks,
:)

hey, i was just wondering if you guys did the citiassist or grad student plus loan. i dont know which to do and the financial aid advisors only say that they each have plus and minuses. i figure i want the one that i will most likely end up being cheaper in the end of course, but does anyone know which would be better?

starbright said:

It seems that this past year they had a cut off of 3.5 for applicants. I have a hunch this might have to do with Penn wanting students that they are confident can handle the non-stop exam schedule.

I did the citiassist b/c the grad stud + loan is so new that nobody has a whole lot of info on it. The booklet that SFS sent us didn't say a whole lot about the loan and the folks at SFS couldn't tell me a single thing about it. Citiassist seems to have been working for the D-students in the past years so... I did the citiassist. Damn, I'm going to be broke after 4 years at Penn.

PickMe said:
hey, i was just wondering if you guys did the citiassist or grad student plus loan. i dont know which to do and the financial aid advisors only say that they each have plus and minuses. i figure i want the one that i will most likely end up being cheaper in the end of course, but does anyone know which would be better?

dominoes said:
I did the citiassist b/c the grad stud + loan is so new that nobody has a whole lot of info on it. The booklet that SFS sent us didn't say a whole lot about the loan and the folks at SFS couldn't tell me a single thing about it. Citiassist seems to have been working for the D-students in the past years so... I did the citiassist. Damn, I'm going to be broke after 4 years at Penn.

honestly, i don't know which to do either. i think the grad plus interest rate is fixed at 8.5%, and then it's 7.25% during repayment.

i was approved for the prime rate for citiassist (i was hoping i could get prime-, but guess my credit wasn't good enough :eek: ),which at the time was 7.5% so i thought not too bad. but now, it's 8.5 just two weeks after -_-

sigh these rates are ridiculous..

Sprgrover said:
It seems that this past year they had a cut off of 3.5 for applicants. I have a hunch this might have to do with Penn wanting students that they are confident can handle the non-stop exam schedule.

thankfully not so cuz i got in w/ a gpa of lower than 3.5 :D

r0entgen said:
honestly, i don't know which to do either. i think the grad plus interest rate is fixed at 8.5%, and then it's 7.25% during repayment.

i was approved for the prime rate for citiassist (i was hoping i could get prime-, but guess my credit wasn't good enough :eek: ),which at the time was 7.5% so i thought not too bad. but now, it's 8.5 just two weeks after -_-

sigh these rates are ridiculous..

Dude, i'm even thinking about marrying some chick in dental school now just so someone could cook food for me for free.

greenday said:
Dude, i'm even thinking about marrying some chick in dental school now just so someone could cook food for me for free.
LOL! You know you can always learn to do it yourself.

duh? said:
LOL! You know you can always learn to do it yourself.

My point was clear enough as I marry just so that my wife gets to do all my chores.
Just kidding lol

We'll have the kids do it.

heyy guys..penn keeps sending tons of stuff, it's so hard to get organized! anyway, so when u guys go to fill out you're immunization stuff, there's a phone number that u can call listed on there---dont call it!! it's a guys' private residence that penn made a mistake on. i felt so bad for him when i called cuz he says he gets calls all day and he called penn a while ago and they still have not fixed it. so the phone number is wrong, but the fax number is correct. Just a heads up...

got the orientation schedule today! looks like we're going to be busy..

me too..i wonder what the upperclassmen have planned for us at night