~~University of Pennsylvania c/o 2010~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I currently live close to the HUB and I have watched it slowly take form over the past year. Unfortunately it is still a hunk of concrete and with the way things move around here it's anyone's guess if it will be ready by August. :(

Members don't see this ad.

lotus24 said:
i looked into that place a little bit too, but got too scared it wouldnt be ready. u just never know with construction, seems like things always gets delayed. but there's always the year after if its nice right ? :) definitely living in philly will take some time getting used to tho... im moving mid august too to settle in. hopefully can meet up with some of u before classes start :laugh:

I got approved at the HUB for Sept 1st. I am not sure if I will take it though.
Most of the other places I saw are for Sept 1st too...did you get a place for Mid Aug ??

kcbutternut said:
Any of you guys planning on staying at THE HUB ON CHESTNUT??
www.thehubonchestnut.com

It's still under construction but its supposed to be ready for this fall. I am loving the fact that it has washer and dryer in unit....and no mice!!!!
But I am kinda scared it not going to be ready.

Let me know if any of you guys are gonna be staying there.

ahh...i want a unit with its own washer & dryer...i hate using the public ones... :(

does anyone know, in general, if there are water outlets in the units so we can at least rent our own washer/dryers?

Members don't see this ad :)
ahhh i still haven't found a place!!! do u think it's bad if i go close to the end of may?? also...are all you guys living alone? I kind of want a roomate...

r0entgen said:
ahh...i want a unit with its own washer & dryer...i hate using the public ones... :(

does anyone know, in general, if there are water outlets in the units so we can at least rent our own washer/dryers?

In most cases, they don't have water outlets....but I know they sell portable washer/dryers which you can hook up to a sink.....don't know how efficient they are though.

starbright said:
ahhh i still haven't found a place!!! do u think it's bad if i go close to the end of may?? also...are all you guys living alone? I kind of want a roomate...

No..they will probably have more openings then as they will know who is definately ending their leases....you should be fine.

I was looking at one bedrooms and efficiencies....but only because I didn't know anyone and I had a bad experience with a pycho roomate once :scared:
So i thought once I got to know all my wonderful classmates....I would get a roomate for 2nd year.

kcbutternut said:
In most cases, they don't have water outlets....but I know they sell portable washer/dryers which you can hook up to a sink.....don't know how efficient they are though.

to a sink? :eek: that would take forever to fill up the washer.. lol

My lease starts August 15th...so that is likely the time I will move in to get away from my parents. Do you think there will be things for our parents to go to during orientation that they would want to stick around for like the white coat ceremony?

BigRedDentist said:
My lease starts August 15th...so that is likely the time I will move in to get away from my parents. Do you think there will be things for our parents to go to during orientation that they would want to stick around for like the white coat ceremony?
Hope the white coat ceremony is at the beginning of the orientation week so my parents can attend it. We don’t yet have a schedule of what is to happen that week right?

no schedule yet..but i really want it..im so excited!

ohhh i'm gonna miss you guys. What could have been. I felt a love connection with BigRed :( Now I'll always wonder :(

haha umm...AKWAAAAAAAAAAAARD :)

Audio said:
ohhh i'm gonna miss you guys. What could have been. I felt a love connection with BigRed :( Now I'll always wonder :(

...hmm... :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone get a financial aid package from penn yet? i'm not talking about those little updates from logging online at penn-in-touch, i'm talking about actual mailings. just wondering how far along the financial aid process has gone as i have still yet to receive any actual mailings.

ysk said:
did anyone get a financial aid package from penn yet? i'm not talking about those little updates from logging online at penn-in-touch, i'm talking about actual mailings. just wondering how far along the financial aid process has gone as i have still yet to receive any actual mailings.

oh...i received my package a few days ago...

ysk said:

if you look back a couple pages in this thread, theres a link where you can go to check your financial aid status. i also got something in the mail last week saying my app was incomplete and they needed my parents tax returns.

r0entgen said:
oh...i received my package a few days ago...

Yeah I received mine at the beginning of this week too.

eww i haven't received mine yet! but i'm all the way in cali..hey do any of u know if we can access our penn email yet? i'd like to start having things sent there...since it's going to be a big transition from my undergrad email to my penn acount...if it is accessible, do you know the website you go to to login? and you use your pennkey correcT? THANKS!

Hey guys, whats wrong with Samson housing? Isn't it close to the dental school and other stuff on campus? I am comming from California so I think it would be easiest to live in furnished on-campus housing, but its pretty pricey huh?

Let me know what you guys are doing about housing

starbright said:
eww i haven't received mine yet! but i'm all the way in cali..hey do any of u know if we can access our penn email yet? i'd like to start having things sent there...since it's going to be a big transition from my undergrad email to my penn acount...if it is accessible, do you know the website you go to to login? and you use your pennkey correcT? THANKS!

we cant access email until penn's current semester is over...so maybe the end of next week?

If you want to check the status of your financial aid, and you have your PennKey and password you can use Penn InTouch. Go to: https://sentry.isc.upenn.edu/intouch/ Click on "current students." Then use your PennKey to login. You can check to see what loans you have been awarded in "loan history," and you can make sure you app is complete in "financial aid."

Just curious, but what's the grand total for tuition/living expenses/instruments for those who recieved the dean's scholarship? Is it under 50K per year?

edkNARF said:
If you want to check the status of your financial aid, and you have your PennKey and password you can use Penn InTouch. Go to: https://sentry.isc.upenn.edu/intouch/ Click on "current students." Then use your PennKey to login. You can check to see what loans you have been awarded in "loan history," and you can make sure you app is complete in "financial aid."

aww thanks..what did your say? mine just says view:
Cumulative Loan History by Academic Period
Cumulative Loan History by Program

and when i click on it it says they may not have been received blah blah....

oh and does anyone know if we get a free gym membership as students at upenn?

starbright said:
oh and does anyone know if we get a free gym membership as students at upenn?

you have a choice to get it or not. it's 200 bucks a year. not that bad.. as an undergrad they forced everyone to pay the 200 bucks as "recreational fees" as they just underwent renovations to the gym a couple years back. but as graduate students, you have a choice to get the membership or not.

Audio said:
+pity+ Unbreak my heart....

do any of u know what gyms are around there? such as LA fitness, 24 hr, ballys...?

starbright said:
do any of u know what gyms are around there? such as LA fitness, 24 hr, ballys...?
If there is a Bally's near by that would be awesome. I already have a lifetime membership there.

starbright said:

There is a bally's in center city but it's not that good. It's much much better to just get a membership at Penn's gym (pottruck) as it's much closer and better (facility-wise, hours, size, etc).

is everyone living alone? or are u guys looking for roomies too?

starbright said:
is everyone living alone? or are u guys looking for roomies too?

lol..you're determined to find a roomie aren't you?

yes! it's tooo expensive to live alone..we're already paying like 50 grand in tuition!

hey guys, i got something in the mail today from penn. the penn dental journal is in it, and there were dates on the back. i remember someone was asking about the white coat ceremony so i figured id post the info.

class of 2010 white coat ceremony
university of pennsylvania museum or archaeology and anthropology
5:30 pm

thats about it in the packet...except the new expense budget...new budget increased t0 75k/yr. :scared:

PickMe said:
hey guys, i got something in the mail today from penn. the penn dental journal is in it, and there were dates on the back. i remember someone was asking about the white coat ceremony so i figured id post the info.

class of 2010 white coat ceremony
university of pennsylvania museum or archaeology and anthropology
5:30 pm

thats about it in the packet...except the new expense budget...new budget increased t0 75k/yr. :scared:

do u know how much of it is in tuition?? that includes living and stuff...
ooh and what was the date for the white coat ceremony? thnx!

Hey guys, any idea when our tuition payments are due? Just wondering about that.

starbright said:
do u know how much of it is in tuition?? that includes living and stuff...
ooh and what was the date for the white coat ceremony? thnx!

haha sorry i completely forgot to put the date...its monday august 21st.
tuition is 48,970 every year.
total is 74,910 75,359 75,623 75,138 for years 1-4.

theres not much else in the mailing, just a list of immunizations we need.

PickMe said:
haha sorry i completely forgot to put the date...its monday august 21st.
tuition is 48,970 every year.
total is 74,910 75,359 75,623 75,138 for years 1-4.

theres not much else in the mailing, just a list of immunizations we need.

Does Penn offer any sorta grant? What about the free interest rumor?

greenday said:
Does Penn offer any sorta grant? What about the free interest rumor?

what's the free interest rumour?

and yes, penn offers a max of $5000 need-based grant per year..

r0entgen said:
what's the free interest rumour?

and yes, penn offers a max of $5000 need-based grant per year..

That is, Penn will take care of the interest accumulated while you are in school, but I don't know if they will cover all the interest including private loans.

when do all of you plan to actually move to philly? Oh and does anyone know what orientation consists of? it's about a week long..

Hey future classmates! I went looking at apartments in philly today (studios and 1 bedrooms), and decided it would probably be more affordable, not to mention sociable to have a roomate (in a two bedroom place of course)....if anyone is interested PM me. I'm going back on thursday to look at some more so let me know..

greenday said:
That is, Penn will take care of the interest accumulated while you are in school, but I don't know if they will cover all the interest including private loans.

oh...i'm pretty sure this isn't going to be the case then. if it was true, then they would have mentioned it during our financial aid talk at the interviews. there's $8500 in stafford loans (i think) that is subsidised by the gov't...that is, interest won't accumulate until after we graduate from dental school. but for the rest of the loans we take out, interest will accumulate from day 1. sucks doesn't it? :mad:

greenday said:

LOL. Penn will not cover any interest on a private loan or unsubsidized federal loans.

Sprgrover said:
LOL. Penn will not cover any interest on a private loan or unsubsidized federal loans.

No wonder it's called a rumor haha

if any wants to be part of it, i'm trying to compile an mini-email list of some sort for our class since it doesnt seem we're going to get one from penn. thought it might prove useful in one way or another, especially when we all start moving in. :) just PM me

on a side note... any one know what the "white coat ceremony" is all about. not sure if its something worth bringing the parents to or not. thanks

lotus24 said:
if any wants to be part of it, i'm trying to compile an mini-email list of some sort for our class since it doesnt seem we're going to get one from penn. thought it might prove useful in one way or another, especially when we all start moving in. :) just PM me

on a side note... any one know what the "white coat ceremony" is all about. not sure if its something worth bringing the parents to or not. thanks

You'll get a list later on in June or July when we have more of a finalized list of who's attending Penn. It's still just mid-May and with three months to go people are still making up their minds on which school to attend - even though deposits have been paid applicants are prone to change their decisions at the last minute. In a few weeks you all will start to receive orientation materials, such as the students that will be coordinating your orientation, schedules, etc. and your big sibs will begin to contact you as well. In regards to the white coat ceremony I would bring your parents to it: it's a nice event and besides, I'm sure proud parents wouldn't miss it for the world. The ceremony is just as much about your introduction into the profession as it is professing to others in attendance about the commitment you will be undertaking in dental school and beyond.

BigRedDentist said:
I uploaded pictures of apts i looked at but they might be confusing since i didnt add very many captions.

The first couple are of a couple apts on Walnut which they wouldn't let me take inside shots of.

Starting at 30 is the Fairfax including a one bedroom, an economy, and a studio

Here is the link: http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=550549367&security=sfZSwd

thanks for the pics :O

i'm sure ppl will find them useful..

but.....these apts look kinda gross...especially the bathroom.. :eek:

i hope my apt doesn't look like that :(