~~University of Pennsylvania c/o 2010~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
starbright said:
sprgrover: do we have the end of june, july and part of august off after 1st year?

and for the rest...how are u guys planning on finding a roomate?

hey, does anyone actually know what date school starts?....

and nope, i'll be living by myself...i think many penn students suggested that was the best way to avoid any possible roommate problems...

Members don't see this ad.

starbright said:
sprgrover: do we have the end of june, july and part of august off after 1st year?

my parents said penn just sent me something with dates that we have off in it. look for it in the mail in the next few days, then you can be positive of the exact dates for next year. i believe he said classes end june 15th and then we start back up towards the end of august.

r0entgen said:
hey, does anyone actually know what date school starts?....

and nope, i'll be living by myself...i think many penn students suggested that was the best way to avoid any possible roommate problems...

From Corky's letter (March 20th):

Orientation- Monday, August 21, 2006
First semester End- Dec 15, 2006
Resume- Jan 2, 2007
Spring Break- March 3-11, 2007 (Miami anyone?)
2nd semester end- June 15, 2007

Members don't see this ad :)
Next year is going to fawking wicked! I say all we do is clown around...clowning is the best :laugh:

BigRedDentist said:
From Corky's letter (March 20th):

Orientation- Monday, August 21, 2006
First semester End- Dec 15, 2006
Resume- Jan 2, 2007
Spring Break- March 3-11, 2007 (Miami anyone?)
2nd semester end- June 15, 2007

wooo my birthday is dec 15th-last day of first semester! :D

starbright said:

Yes, you'll get the end of June through mid-August off. Enjoy it while it lasts as summer break your second year will only be two weeks and then your third year you work straight through.

Sprgrover said:
Yes, you'll get the end of June through mid-August off. Enjoy it while it lasts as summer break your second year will only be two weeks and then your third year you work straight through.

Amen.

Sprgrover said:
Yes, please relax about the whole Pennkey stuff!! You're way, way, way ahead of the game if you already have one. Dont' fret about books (and what ever you do DO NOT GO BUY ANY!), your schedule, and whether or not you can hack it at Penn (trust me, you can and will ;) ) What if you don't have one come orientation? Well, we'll be making a stop at the Franklin building where you can get one then. For now it really isn't a big deal - there isn't much you can access that would be of help.

Sprgrover's advice is relax, go out and get some partying in because come August your lives are going to change.

I second Sprgrovers comments about books. Most students don't buy any textbooks and they do just fine. If you are like me, and like learning from textbooks then you can get them once you get here. I would also recommend talking to upperclassmen before you buy ANYTHING! Most of your "big sibs" (who will be contacting you during the summer) will probably let you borrow the textbooks you may actually need. I like learning from textbooks, so I have bought a few. I know plenty of classmates who have bought not textbooks at all, and they are doing pretty well. Trust me, save you money until you get into the preclinic. I am buying burrs and plastic teeth like they are going out of style.

Wow, i'm surprised i got the penn package today as well. Kinda fast since i live in Canaduh

Audio said:
Wow, i'm surprised i got the penn package today as well. Kinda fast since i live in Canaduh
I have not received it yet. I feel so left out. I want my goodies too. :D

I want mine too! :D

Audio said:
There's a 'copyright' on that! :D

PickMe said:

Guess who gets the drunky hat!

Members don't see this ad :)
PickMe said:
Probably would be too tired to do anything but sleep. :( :laugh:

duh? said:

hahah nope ill def be going out! my last final is always on my bday so im used to celebrating after horrible horrible exams. a lil power nap and ill be good to go :D now the real question is...will you guys be?

duh? said:

There's a lot of truth in this! When I stepped off the plane after my first semester my parents thought I looked like a refugee.

Sprgrover said:
There's a lot of truth in this! When I stepped off the plane after my first semester my parents thought I looked like a refugee.
LOL! :laugh:

PickMe said:
hahah nope ill def be going out! my last final is always on my bday so im used to celebrating after horrible horrible exams. a lil power nap and ill be good to go :D now the real question is...will you guys be?
I hope!!!!!!!! :D I'm sure some coffee would help. Caffeine + Alcohol = :scared: :laugh:

Well, i'm just a party animal. Get some vodka into me and i'll be on the table top showing off my leopard-print thong :eek: :laugh:

Audio said:
Well, i'm just a party animal. Get some vodka into me and i'll be on the table top showing off my leopard-print thong :eek: :laugh:
:barf:

hey guys, I am looking for housing but don't know the area very well.
Is sansom really that bad??
Can anyone recommend me some places near dental school that are safe, cheap, and free of rodents and roaches?
I know there is a website with landlord profiles but there were so many and couldn't really tell how close they were to the dental school.

another question.
I recently got a packet from penn and they want to know whether I am right-handed or left-handed. I use both hands so do you think it's okay to put it down for one, try it, and change it if I don't feel comfortable? Is is possible? I mean aren't there specific arrangements that they do so that it's hard to change it once I put one down?

honeywell said:
another question.
I recently got a packet from penn and they want to know whether I am right-handed or left-handed. I use both hands so do you think it's okay to put it down for one, try it, and change it if I don't feel comfortable? Is is possible? I mean aren't there specific arrangements that they do so that it's hard to change it once I put one down?

i think you should call penn and ask how important it is, i dont think any of us could give you a definite answer.

Audio said:

what does the penn package consist of?

starbright said:
what does the penn package consist of?
Academic calendar, reminder for 2nd deposit, some apartment hunting tips, directory for important offices like student affairs and admissions.... Just regular stuff, nothing special really.

Any of you guys going to the housing far on the 6th ??

For those already at penn....is it worth it?

I'm actually thinking of living in Sansom 1st year. Once i get to know the area, then i'll get my own place in 2nd year. It can't be that bad especially if a bunch of us live there. We could have like our own Sansom secret handshake...it would be soooooo cool.

kcbutternut said:
Any of you guys going to the housing far on the 6th ??

For those already at penn....is it worth it?

It might be - I really don't know as I haven't attended it and I'm not aware of any classmates of mine that did. I would imagine that it certainly wouldn't hurt.

can someone please post the penn admissions login site? i'm away and don't have the link.

Hey sprgrover how long do we have to wait before we hear about how much financial aid we are going to recieve?

On the Sansom website, it says there are
1) Single rooms w/ shared bathroom and w/o a kitchen
2) Double rooms w/ a kitchen

Does any of you know about the pricing?

By the way, for anybody who doesn't know, the website address is

http://gpsp.business-services.upenn.edu/

cowsgomoo said:
Hey sprgrover how long do we have to wait before we hear about how much financial aid we are going to recieve?

i called the lady to check if they had all my fin aid stuff and she told me to call them back if i don't receive the fin aid package by april 11th...so maybe around theN?

r0entgen said:
i called the lady to check if they had all my fin aid stuff and she told me to call them back if i don't receive the fin aid package by april 11th...so maybe around theN?
Ahh ok cool. Thanks for the info. :thumbup: :thumbup:

jcferrero said:
On the Sansom website, it says there are
1) Single rooms w/ shared bathroom and w/o a kitchen
2) Double rooms w/ a kitchen

Does any of you know about the pricing?

By the way, for anybody who doesn't know, the website address is

http://gpsp.business-services.upenn.edu/
There's a card with housing inforrmation in the packet that came this week. Try the housing website on the card. I think the 1 bedroom Apt (with kitchen) costs $1084 and the double apt like $657 per person. Not sure though.

cowsgomoo said:

If you haven't done so already fill out a FAFSA and then you need to find someone to disperse the funds for you (this is different than most undergrads in that a secondary entity actually disperses the funds to the school for you and manages your loans). I went with College Loan Corporation (good customer service, I only deal with a single representative and I have a direct line to his desk, etc.). All you have to do is call them up, state you are going to dental school and you are looking for someone to manage your loans and they'll take care of the rest. If you are financing your dental education and government loans don't cover everything you'll have to turn to private sources for funding. I went with CitiBank's CitiAssist loan to cover the rest (no origination fees, no penalty for early repayment, 6 month grace peroid post graduation). They had competitive rates and it was a painless process to apply for funds. They will cover the difference between the total cost of attendance and government aid, scholarships, etc. (E.g. your bill comes to 70k, you get a stafford loan covering 35k of it, and you have 35k remaining. CitiBank will verify your enrollment and all these little figures and give you a loan for 35k to make up the difference.).

If you want to get the ball rolling on this, and I suggest that you do, and you haven't received the financial aid package yet file your FAFSA, contact a lender to disperse your federal funds, and pick a private lender and apply for funds from them. You don't need exact figures - I overestimated the amount I would need from CitiBank by $1,000 and the school simply verified the actual amount and notified CitiBank of the actual figure I would need. Easy as pie. Here is the toll-free number for College Loan Corporation (if you would like to contact them - I'm not affiliated with them at all other than they service my loans and do a good job of it) 1-888-972-6311. CitiAssist's Penn website is: www.studentloan.com/schools/upenn

I went looking at some apartments on Friday in Philly and signed a lease. If you are interested in a studio or 1 bedroom from $700-1000 a month I can give you the low-down. Send me a PM.

Nice! Congrats.
BigRedDentist said:
I went looking at some apartments on Friday in Philly and signed a lease. If you are interested in a studio or 1 bedroom from $700-1000 a month I can give you the low-down. Send me a PM.

hey guys. i thought it be nice to set up a separate forum or group of some sort so we can slowly figure out who's in our class? i'm not very tech-savvy so i doubt i can make up a website or anything for us to communicate over (of course sdn is great too).. if any of you have myspace (we use it quite a bit in my area) i set up a group if you want to join http://groups.myspace.com/penndentalclass2010
can't wait to meet you all in the fall :)

are people having any luck with housing? are most people sticking near campus, in university city?? what do people think of center city ??

lotus24 said:
hey guys. i thought it be nice to set up a separate forum or group of some sort so we can slowly figure out who's in our class? i'm not very tech-savvy so i doubt i can make up a website or anything for us to communicate over (of course sdn is great too).. if any of you have myspace (we use it quite a bit in my area) i set up a group if you want to join http://groups.myspace.com/penndentalclass2010

are people having any luck with housing? are most people sticking near campus, in university city?? what do people think of center city ??

what about facebook?

lotus24 said:

hey, i don't have a myspace account...but i just went to the site...and i think i interviewed at penn with you! :p

Hey, i'll join. Never did any myspace. Used to be into Hi5 but then got sick of it. Let's see...i have 1 friend so far. I think that's the site creator. Damn, i feel special :love:

i have facebook..but i dont get how to join.

starbright said:
i have facebook..but i dont get how to join.

hm...

once you access this link: http://wustl.facebook.com/group_profile.php?gid=6863

there should be a link on the right that says "Join this Group"

it should be above "Related Groups"...

if you can't find it, maybe you can just give me your name, and what school you attend...and i can send you an invite...i set the group to public mode though...so anyone should be able to join...

r0entgen said:
hm...

once you access this link: http://wustl.facebook.com/group_profile.php?gid=6863

there should be a link on the right that says "Join this Group"

it should be above "Related Groups"...

if you can't find it, maybe you can just give me your name, and what school you attend...and i can send you an invite...i set the group to public mode though...so anyone should be able to join...

nope not there. but i added u as a friend so invite me to ur group.

starbright said:
nope not there. but i added u as a friend so invite me to ur group.

arrghh

i set it to open...and it says "Open: Anyone can join. Anyone can see the message board." it SHOULD work...not sure why...

now, i'm trying to invite...but it won't let me search people to invite outside of my univ.... -_-

anyone know how to work this?

is it even possible to have people from different univ join the same group? maybe thats' why you guys don't see the join button..

r0entgen said:
arrghh

i set it to open...and it says "Open: Anyone can join. Anyone can see the message board." it SHOULD work...not sure why...

now, i'm trying to invite...but it won't let me search people to invite outside of my univ.... -_-

anyone know how to work this?

is it even possible to have people from different univ join the same group? maybe thats' why you guys don't see the join button..

okay yeah...i don't think it's possible to invite or have you guys join since we're all from different schools...i just tried to join a group from another school, and likewise, could not see the "join this group" button...

so much for facebook...

i dont think we can make a facebook group, but if you have facebook, pm me your name and school and ill add you. ill compile a lil list and send it to you guys so then at least we're facebook friends?