University of Oklahoma Pharmacy vs. Texas Tech Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcee17

Accepter Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both programs (OU and Tech) and just was looking for some insight from anyone who might have an educated opinion on either school. I really liked OU but the out of state tuition is basically the only reason I am second guessing where to go.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get in state after a year or two?

Any additional info as to rotations, residencies, and reputation of each program (personal and professional) would be greatly appreciated as well

They are ranked the same (which I know means nothing) and have about the same NAPLEX passing rates.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to either program, but just looking for some help on this major decision.

Members don't see this ad.

I think they are both good schools. I would look into the tuition factor. You do not want to pay extra money for it and be in a huge debt after you graduate. I would choose a in state school.

It is instate tuition v. out of state. Instate all the way. Now, if tuition isn't a primary concern, I'd prefer OU because of the HSC and closer proximity to home.

I have been accepted to both programs (OU and Tech) and just was looking for some insight from anyone who might have an educated opinion on either school. I really liked OU but the out of state tuition is basically the only reason I am second guessing where to go.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get in state after a year or two?

Any additional info as to rotations, residencies, and reputation of each program (personal and professional) would be greatly appreciated as well

They are ranked the same (which I know means nothing) and have about the same NAPLEX passing rates.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to either program, but just looking for some help on this major decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's really personal preference. Which school did you go to and tell yourself "wow, I really love it here?" Tuition might be expensive out of state but it'll be worth it if you really love the school/program. Plus, you can get in state tuition I think after a year of residence.

It's really personal preference. Which school did you go to and tell yourself "wow, I really love it here?" Tuition might be expensive out of state but it'll be worth it if you really love the school/program. Plus, you can get in state tuition I think after a year of residence.

Unfortunately with most schools once you've been accepted as an out of state student, you will not qualify for residency for the remainder of your education. OU is such a school. They're very particular on their residency requirements.

Unfortunately with most schools once you've been accepted as an out of state student, you will not qualify for residency for the remainder of your education. OU is such a school. They're very particular on their residency requirements.

SVB99 I just wanted to know this but is getting Texas residency also difficult? i heard you have to buy a condo and work full time/part time while being in texas for 12 consecutive months. I am not going to a texas school but if you could enlighten me on this texas residency thing it would help. I know Utah, Colorado, and Washington are some states on the top of my head where you change in-state residency after your first yr (ohio state as well i think).

How did you find that out? I'm definitely going to talk to the financial aid office, but I haven't found anything stating how difficult it is to get in-state tuition your second or third year...

I just keep going back and forth because I know how convenient Tech would be, but really liked OU (campus, program, feel from interview) I just don't want to be buried under more debt than I have to be.

SVB99 I just wanted to know this but is getting Texas residency also difficult? i heard you have to buy a condo and work full time/part time while being in texas for 12 consecutive months. I am not going to a texas school but if you could enlighten me on this texas residency thing it would help. I know Utah, Colorado, and Washington are some states on the top of my head where you change in-state residency after your first yr (ohio state as well i think).

Generally speaking, getting a Texas residency is also pretty difficult. Here's a link to getting Texas residency:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2318193_establish-texas-residency.html

More specifically, here's a link that will frame it from the perspective of attempting to obtain residency for purposes of higher education:

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub...c=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=19&pt=1&ch=21&rl=22

Bottom line, it's pretty tough to get residency status without moving here for 12 months.

Now certain schools like OU can be "petitioned" for a residency if you can show them a need for requiring it. I don't know anyone who has done it personally, but I imagine they'll scrutinize you pretty closely to determine why you should qualify for it.

I imagine that if they were to grant you residency status, it would come with strings attached.

Not sure if UT or any other TX state school can be petitioned however.

Hope this helps.

Sam

How did you find that out? I'm definitely going to talk to the financial aid office, but I haven't found anything stating how difficult it is to get in-state tuition your second or third year...

I just keep going back and forth because I know how convenient Tech would be, but really liked OU (campus, program, feel from interview) I just don't want to be buried under more debt than I have to be.

Follow this link: http://www.ouhsc.edu/admissions/respolicy.html

It will provide you the 'basic definition' of an Oklahoma residency for the purposes of higher education. Again, you can petition the school, but I'm not sure how often it is granted. I was considering doing it myself untill I was accepted into a TX school.

Hope this helps.

Sam

I spoke with the people at OU when I was thinking of where to apply and I know a few people who have gone to school there and it is impossible to get in-state tuition if you are there just for school. Their requirements are impossible, you have to work fulltime for a year, change your car tags, drivers license, and establish yourself as far as living goes. Even when you do this you often times get rejected. There really is no reason for them to grant you in-state anyway, they are making the money and if they say no there is really nothing you can do except try again at a later time.

Because both schools are so evenly ranked, I would say Tech may be the better choice for you because of the lower cost.

Generally speaking, getting a Texas residency is also pretty difficult. Here's a link to getting Texas residency:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2318193_establish-texas-residency.html

More specifically, here's a link that will frame it from the perspective of attempting to obtain residency for purposes of higher education:

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub...c=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=19&pt=1&ch=21&rl=22

Bottom line, it's pretty tough to get residency status without moving here for 12 months.

Now certain schools like OU can be "petitioned" for a residency if you can show them a need for requiring it. I don't know anyone who has done it personally, but I imagine they'll scrutinize you pretty closely to determine why you should qualify for it.

I imagine that if they were to grant you residency status, it would come with strings attached.

Not sure if UT or any other TX state school can be petitioned however.

Hope this helps.

Sam

thanks for the feedback, i know you have to stay 12 consecutive months, but you also have to buy a house in TX correct? if so, wouldnt the price of the house also add somewhat more debt to the person seeking in-state residency (i think most houses within driving distance of the UT campus were like 60k and above).

plus do you have to be in TX 12 months before school starts or after school starts to be eligible for in-state tuition?

thanks for the feedback, i know you have to stay 12 consecutive months, but you also have to buy a house in TX correct? if so, wouldnt the price of the house also add somewhat more debt to the person seeking in-state residency (i think most houses within driving distance of the UT campus were like 60k and above).

plus do you have to be in TX 12 months before school starts or after school starts to be eligible for in-state tuition?

I believe you can rent OR own a home. Just make sure it's under your name. Honestly PharmD1988, I think the hassle from coming out of state to attend UT or any other TX state school would be enough to dissuade me. That's without even taking into account the cost for OOS student. You must really want to be here, lol.

To the OP, I got a good vibe from OU as well, but if costs are a concern for you, you're going to have to go with Tech. Now if you want the experience and aren't as concerned, I'd go with OU.

Being part of a large HSC was really appealing to me. Rubbing elbows with just medical/health care folks is a huge plus. In the end however, I couldn't afford to go there. Especially as an older student (28 yrs old), paying off $200K would be a hassle. Maybe if I were younger?

Last edited:
I believe you can rent OR own a home. Just make sure it's under your name. Honestly PharmD1988, I think the hassle from coming out of state to attend UT or any other TX state school would be enough to dissuade me. That's without even taking into account the cost for OOS student. You must really want to be here, lol.

To the OP, I got a good vibe from OU as well, but if costs are a concern for you, you're going to have to go with Tech. Now if you want the experience and aren't as concerned, I'd go with OU.

Being part of a large HSC was really appealing to me. Rubbing elbows with just medical/health care folks is a huge plus. In the end however, I couldn't afford to go there. Especially as an older student (28 yrs old), paying off $200K would be a hassle. Maybe if I were younger?

haha sorry if i was sounding annoying by asking about the TX residency. im a californian so warm weather would be a plus. i got denied to UT so im either going to purdue or regis university but it was the supposedly cheap cost of UT that i really wanted to attend there. i know for purdue it is 1000% impossible to gain in-state tuition.

congrats on going to UT btw, hopefully we might see each other at a pharmacy conference

to the OP sorry if i was asking TX residency alot on a non-TX residency forum. ill stop now haha

haha sorry if i was sounding annoying by asking about the TX residency. im a californian so warm weather would be a plus. i got denied to UT so im either going to purdue or regis university but it was the supposedly cheap cost of UT that i really wanted to attend there. i know for purdue it is 1000% impossible to gain in-state tuition.

congrats on going to UT btw, hopefully we might see each other at a pharmacy conference

to the OP sorry if i was asking TX residency alot on a non-TX residency forum. ill stop now haha

No problem at all. I wish you luck at Purdue. It's a quality school, too. Surprised you weren't accepted at any CA school.

No problem at all. I wish you luck at Purdue. It's a quality school, too. Surprised you weren't accepted at any CA school.

thanks. i only applied to UCSF & UCSD and they're super tough to get in regardless of residency. besides they cost 31k a year for in-state tuition alone so might as well go out of state.

Thank you for posting that. It does sound like a major hassle and probably will be the ultimate deciding factor. I'm only 20, but the possibility of paying more than double at OU just sucks.

I was also trying to see if anyone had any major deterrent or attracting qualities that would push you one way or the other besides personal preference as I know which program I felt better about. I have read through posts extensively, but was trying to see if anything besides what I had found existed.

In the end, I know they are both amazing programs so it is choosing between two great schools...

My thing is, when you have schools that are pretty evenly ranked, why pay more for one over the other? In the end you will have the same degree regardless of where you go. Save some money, it will help later on.