University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, I am a Texas resident. One of the med-sci students accepted today was put on the wait list last week. Does anyone know if in the past med-scis were put on the wait list and not accepted??? Wishing you all good news soon. I'll keep you guys posted.

I'm trying to gauge how often the committee meets. If someone's status changed last week, yesterday saw people go from under review to waitlist, and today people were accepted...maybe tomorrow or Thursday there will be further changes/acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't try to overanalyze it at this point. Did any non-Med Scis get off the waitlist today?

I'm trying to gauge how often the committee meets. If someone's status changed last week, yesterday saw people go from under review to waitlist, and today people were accepted...maybe tomorrow or Thursday there will be further changes/acceptances?

I know someone whose status changed to waitlist on Monday and then got accepted today, so i don't think there's a correlation between status change and the time it take to get accepted. But i do think that "waitlist" means a future acceptance; it's just a matter of when.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, hopefully tomorrow more med-scis will hear something. If so, post here ASAP! :D

Did anyone in Med Sci get an email that they have been waitlisted or does TCOM send it via US mail?

I received a phone call yesterday that I was pulled off the waitlist! I am not a Med-Sci student... So excited!!!

Does anyone know how the rejections were delivered? Did their status change to "has been reviewed" or some other phrase? Also, did they get an e-mail telling them or was it snail mail? (for med-sci's)

Does anyone know how the rejections were delivered? Did their status change to "has been reviewed" or some other phrase? Also, did they get an e-mail telling them or was it snail mail? (for med-sci's)

Snail mail

At this stage in the game, anything but a wait-list/acceptance is probably a rejection.

My stats weren't the strongest, I had a 3.58 overall GPA with a 3.5 science GPA. My MCAT was a 26N. I interviewed on September 7th and the interviews went very well, I'm thinking they were the only reason I was waitlisted.

My stats weren't the strongest, I had a 3.58 overall GPA with a 3.5 science GPA. My MCAT was a 26N. I interviewed on September 7th and the interviews went very well, I'm thinking they were the only reason I was waitlisted.

Congrats on your acceptance :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Batch of acceptances went out this week. 2017 has some new classmates. Congrats y'all

Lets hope next week TCOM sends out an order for a few dozen freshly baked pre-meds with hopes for the school. I hear the ones glazed with med sci are a good choice, no?

For those currently in the medsci do you know if there is any movement on the waitlist for medsci program to get in? They told me they can review/make decisions until the first day... so I'm wondering if I should just go with my other program ?

For those currently in the medsci do you know if there is any movement on the waitlist for medsci program to get in? They told me they can review/make decisions until the first day... so I'm wondering if I should just go with my other program ?

When we did our orientation on the Monday/Tues/Wed whichever it was, one girl said she was taken off the list the previous Friday. I would try to wait it out. It's a good program overall.

SD, I think the only things we have been hearing are those from this board, but I would venture a guess and say maybe they might accept more people from the wait list this week (I will explain below)

I have checked through the old TCOM and the MedSci information threads and so far what I have gathered is that they are sending out acceptances in spurts, with last year saying that there were spurts three to four times in May, and then a few times in June, so the best advice I would give is to hang tight and to keep being positive!

Some more information that I gathered was that the MedScis that have been chosen had very high GPAs, so I am thinking that the GPA thing had a huge impact on the spot on the wait list

I've heard of people being admitted during the first week of class. They got a phone call that said, "Hey, can you be here in two days?"

I've heard of people being admitted during the first week of class. They got a phone call that said, "Hey, can you be here in two days?"

That would be awful. The biggest gripe I have now is the under review status while wait-listed batches are pulled to acceptances...:(

Yeah it is frustrating not knowing because I really don't want to go to my backup (mississippi college) just because the distance... so I'll just keep waiting. I just wasn't sure if there was a lot of movement just based on what I saw in older posts. Also my friends got rejected pretty fast from medsci (with 3.6+ gpa) so as of now I have no clue what they are looking for.. I'll just be more patient!

Yeah it is frustrating not knowing because I really don't want to go to my backup (mississippi college) just because the distance... so I'll just keep waiting. I just wasn't sure if there was a lot of movement just based on what I saw in older posts. Also my friends got rejected pretty fast from medsci (with 3.6+ gpa) so as of now I have no clue what they are looking for.. I'll just be more patient!

FYI, I read a post from a person who was at Mississippi College's program where he said that some DO schools rejected him because he did a post-bacc at a school unaffiliated with an osteopathic school. However, when looking at MC's graduate students and where they attended, it appeared they went to many DO schools around the country and MD schools, so guess it might depend on the school. Good luck though!

I know someone whose status changed to waitlist on Monday and then got accepted today, so i don't think there's a correlation between status change and the time it take to get accepted. But i do think that "waitlist" means a future acceptance; it's just a matter of when.

Not sure about this year, but last year I was wait listed and did not get in. My med sci GPA was a 3.8, 29 MCAT, Texas resident for what it's worth.

Not sure about this year, but last year I was wait listed and did not get in. My med sci GPA was a 3.8, 29 MCAT, Texas resident for what it's worth.

It doesn't really seem to be directed towards any one thing that they are looking for, people with much lower statistics have gotten in, while people like you have been rejected.

Did you write the ADCOM and ask what the deciding factor was on your application?

Do you think it was the interview or your uGPA? Either way, that's unfortunate :( sometimes I wonder just how well the point system is done. Well for those that haven't read this on TCOM's website:

Committee Evaluation of Applicants
Committee scores are assigned to each application that is Acceptable or placed on an Alternate list. This score is used to rank applicants for admission. Because this score affects the ultimate status of the applicant, careful consideration must be given to each applicant when assigning a score.

The score is derived by assessing both the cognitive and non-cognitive values of the applicant. Committee members will submit an individual score for each applicant at the meeting. The applicant's score is the mean among those members who scored the application. Applicants accepted by the committee will be submitted to the Dean for final approval. Applicants approved by the Dean will be placed on the Texas Medical School Admissions Match List in rank order based on the Admissions Committee's score. Scores range from 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest (Cognitive values: 5; Non-cognitive values: 5). Decimal values may be given. The following variables are assessed when an applicant is scored:

Cognitive: Academic performance as an undergraduate student; academic performance as a graduate student; academic performance while attending high school; and scores on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).

Non-cognitive: Interviews scores; geographic diversity; socioeconomic background; commitment to the field of study; availability of members of the osteopathic profession while the applicant attended elementary and secondary school; first generation to go to college; letters of evaluation; and contributes to the diversity of the class*.

Not an exhaustive list though, so it's a grab bag for sure.

Great, now I want to know what I obtained in those fields :(

When did you hear that you were taken off the wait list?

Do you think it was the interview or your uGPA? Either way, that's unfortunate :( sometimes I wonder just how well the point system is done. Well for those that haven't read this on TCOM's website:

Committee Evaluation of Applicants
Committee scores are assigned to each application that is Acceptable or placed on an Alternate list. This score is used to rank applicants for admission. Because this score affects the ultimate status of the applicant, careful consideration must be given to each applicant when assigning a score.

The score is derived by assessing both the cognitive and non-cognitive values of the applicant. Committee members will submit an individual score for each applicant at the meeting. The applicant's score is the mean among those members who scored the application. Applicants accepted by the committee will be submitted to the Dean for final approval. Applicants approved by the Dean will be placed on the Texas Medical School Admissions Match List in rank order based on the Admissions Committee's score. Scores range from 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest (Cognitive values: 5; Non-cognitive values: 5). Decimal values may be given. The following variables are assessed when an applicant is scored:

Cognitive: Academic performance as an undergraduate student; academic performance as a graduate student; academic performance while attending high school; and scores on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).

Non-cognitive: Interviews scores; geographic diversity; socioeconomic background; commitment to the field of study; availability of members of the osteopathic profession while the applicant attended elementary and secondary school; first generation to go to college; letters of evaluation; and contributes to the diversity of the class*.

Not an exhaustive list though, so it's a grab bag for sure.

performance in HIGH SCHOOL???

Non-cognitive: Interviews scores; geographic diversity; socioeconomic background; commitment to the field of study; availability of members of the osteopathic profession while the applicant attended elementary and secondary school; first generation to go to college; letters of evaluation; contributes to the diversity of the class; number of times checked myHSC; communication with admissions; type of toilet paper bought; hours browsing UNTHSC/TCOM 2012/2013 thread; genuinely desiring TCOM over MD schools; and sanity levels.

Fixed.

I know one med sci found out this morning. I'm still on the wait list. So worried :(

Does the snail mail rejection accompany a status change on myhsc? My app still says under review and it's giving me ulcers.

I believe your status would say "have been reviewed," after a rejection. I know what you mean, this past week has felt like an eternity and some of us might not even know until July. Just hang in there.

I just got my waitlist letter in the mail today, postmarked from the 15th of May...hope we hear something back very soon (maybe the 23rd now?)

Non-cognitive: Interviews scores; geographic diversity; socioeconomic background; commitment to the field of study; availability of members of the osteopathic profession while the applicant attended elementary and secondary school; first generation to go to college; letters of evaluation; and contributes to the diversity of the class; number of times checked myHSC; communication with admissions; type of toilet paper bought; hours browsing UNTHSC/TCOM 2012/2013 thread; genuinely desiring TCOM over MD schools; and sanity levels..

Oh no worries. I should get in for sure then :D

Still on wait list...I would think there would be movement later this week but take with a pound of salt please!!

I hope so. I feel kind of silly submitting another application while my first one is still under review.

I agree that there will probably a lot more movement later. I imagine TCOM would be one of the last schools in TX to get movement on the waitlist. I had a friend who got of the waitlist a week before school started so don't lose hope.

Based on past forums, I think the next wave of acceptances will be the 2nd week of June.

Hopefully this week those still being reviewed will have a decision. It's silly for being so late in May when applications for next season are already pouring in...

:confused: :thumbdown:

Amen - at this stage of the game I'd feel better even if my status said waitlisted. Very frustrating.

Hoping the best for you guys on the bubble. Don't lose hope, I know someone who got in 3 days before school started. Hope to see y'all there!

It looks like UNTHSC is going to get $67 million for a brand new 150,000-square-foot research building on campus. It is included in a funding package which was approved by the Texas House yesterday (Senate Bill SB16, passed on a 121-26 vote).

Dear committee gods, please make decisions about the applications currently in limbo. I will even provide offerings of volunteering this summer to please thee.

I am applying next cycle, how crucial is it to have a DO letter?

I didn't have a DO letter, and the incoming students I've met didn't know any DOs when they applied, so it's fair to assume that they didn't have a DO letter either. I honestly think it's just a "nice to have" item - it's definitely not a show-stopper if you don't have it! :)