University of Michigan questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DrLady

Hi ! I have couple of questions regarding UMICH School and surrounding area.

I will be attending UMICH School of Public Health this coming fall and I was wondering if anyone else has applied for Epidemiology program with Global Health concentration? How long does it take for Global Health program to of their decision? I received acceptance for Epid program but I was told that I will be notified very soon. It has been almost 3 weeks already and I just wanted to know how long do they take.

Another thing --I am from Chicago and I won't be able to visit Ann Arbor till mid-August so I was wondering if someone can tell me whether it is better to have grad housing compared to off-campus. Do the prices vary a lot? I wouldn't want to live too far away from the campus, but what nearest areas are much better suited in finding good studio apt or any good grad housing. I am not really familiar with the UMich website and although I have been browsing i cannot find the proper link that tells me the cost of grad housing.

Oh and one last question. I have heard it is quite difficult to get a GSI position at UMich. Is it really that difficult?

Thanks!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

DrLady said:
Hi ! I have couple of questions regarding UMICH School and surrounding area.

I will be attending UMICH School of Public Health this coming fall and I was wondering if anyone else has applied for Epidemiology program with Global Health concentration? How long does it take for Global Health program to of their decision? I received acceptance for Epid program but I was told that I will be notified very soon. It has been almost 3 weeks already and I just wanted to know how long do they take.

Another thing --I am from Chicago and I won't be able to visit Ann Arbor till mid-August so I was wondering if someone can tell me whether it is better to have grad housing compared to off-campus. Do the prices vary a lot? I wouldn't want to live too far away from the campus, but what nearest areas are much better suited in finding good studio apt or any good grad housing. I am not really familiar with the UMich website and although I have been browsing i cannot find the proper link that tells me the cost of grad housing.

Oh and one last question. I have heard it is quite difficult to get a GSI position at UMich. Is it really that difficult?

Thanks!!!!!!

Hi DrLady,

Glad to hear you're coming to Umich! I'm in HMP, not too familiar with the GH IC, so I can't answer that question. As far as grad housing, the best place to look would be Island Drive Apartments, that's where most of the med students/SPH students live. A studio apartment will probably run between 600-700 dollars. There really isn't "graduate student" housing - it's basically family housing way up on north campus. You'll have to bus down to SPH. The link for family housing is http://www.housing.umich.edu/family/.

As far as GSI'ing goes, it's difficult, but not impossible. I've been a GSI for the last two years, but that's primarily because I'm also enrolled in Rackham (MS in Molecular Biology). I know a few ppl in Epid that were GSI'ing some Bio classes - it's going to depend a lot on your undergrad qualifications, etc. PM me w/ any questions, I'm in a2 all summer doing an internship, and I'll do all I can to try and help!

-Alan

Hey Dr. Lady!!!

Did you get my PM I sent a while back? I left you information about apartments. I lived in Island Drive with a roommate. I personally think that if you can possibly live with someone, it would be much more economically efficient for you (the school will help you do roommate matching). Also look at Medical Center Court Apartments. It might be good for you to taking a walking tour of Ann Arbor, as you sometimes can find housing in a private house. If you'll have a car and really want to save money, I would suggest living near Washtenaw in Ypsilanti, right beyond 23. They've got a couple of places, including Spice Tree Apts., where a number of Mich students live.

Your other option for at least the first year, which worked out for me during my first year... way back when... :) was living on campus in Baits II, Cross House. I actually got a room two weeks before school started, since a lot of seniors may secure spots just in case they don't finish up during the summer session. I believe that they were going to make Cross graduate only - even though most of the students there were graduates back in 2K0 & 2K1. I would strongly suggest that you check out on campus housing, esp. since it's close and you won't have to worry about transportation since the north campus shuttle runs right out front. There's a kitchen there too so that you can cook, or you can get a small meal plan (like 10 meals a week) since Bursley Hall (from what I remember) had the best cafeteria food on campus. Plus, you could eat lunch with your plan at Markley Hall, which is right across from the School of Public Health. Besides the food ( :laugh: ), I'd again strongly consider living on campus.

I also PMed you info about searching for grad assistantships. Let me know if you received it.

H&T

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Thanks so much for the replies, Alanlee and H&T. :) I will be PMing you both anyways, as I have lots of questions!

H&T, I got your PM and I had sent you one back, i wonder if you got it. I dont think i will know the area around UMICH properly until i go for another visit. Unfortunately, I am in maryland right now i wont be going back to Chicago till august. I looked at the links you gave me, H&T, but i couldn't find the cost of campus housing anywhere. I won't have a car so yes, it would be great to live nearby the campus. I saw some apt links, and the studios ranged from $300-$600, however, since I don't know the surrounding area, i had no idea if these apartments were near the campus or not.

When should i start contacting for GSI position? I don't mind GSI'ing undergrad bio or chem class. I just sent the deposit to UMICH, so lets see how things go.

Dr Lady,

With regard to the GSI question, I would contact LS&A as soon as possible to see if there are any open GSI positions. These positions tend to get snatched up pretty quickly, so act fast. I think that the link I gave you probably has a phone number for you to contact LS&A to see about openings.

Best of luck lady!
H&T

Hihi guys!

Does anyone know what the statistics for average acceptees are at Univ. of Michigan? Or would anyone like to share theirs if they got in? Thanks!

IIf everyone that you matriculate with shares their scores, you might find a couple of sub-3.0 GPAs in the mix - and I wouldn't be surprised (esp. for people who began and did poorly as science majors and switched over to behavioral science, and have lower GPAs because of the sciences).'ve never seen any accepted stats for Michigan students, even as a student there. I personally knew people with GPAs between 3.0 - 4.0, and GRE scores +500 in each section get into Michigan. I only knew one person who didn't get in, and that's b/c he didn't even attempt to improve his sub-500 score on the second attempt at the exam. You should have pretty good chances with anything above 600 and a 3.5 undergraduate GPA - but don't quote me on that - it all depends.

Michigan is a very laid back institution with a wide variety of students, some with the numbers, some with the practical know-how. With this, don't concentrate so much on scores - remember that experience and demonstrated interest in public health are large pieces of the puzzle.

Congrats DrLady,
I just thought I'd toss my couple of pennies in as I've got a little experience on the subject (I'm hospital and molecular epid at SPH right now and I went to undergrad here as well). As some people have suggested Island Drive apts and Medical center court are two viable options. I actually live in Island Drive right now and I have about a 15 minute walk to class through the hospital. The apartments aren't too expensive if you've got a roomate or two and it's almost wholly public health students and med students. As far as GSI'ing goes, the deadline for the upcoming fall sememster passed a couple of months back (I know because I submitted my app on the last date!). I've heard it's fairly tough to get b/c there isn't a corresponding undergrad major, but I know epid people who've had them so I guess it's not impossible. Feel free to PM me with any other questions you might have :thumbup: