This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

renaissanceelaine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new here. Forgive me if I say something stupid.

So I am applying to MPH programs in the US (US citizen) and I have noticed a lot of schools, such as University of Michigan, have rolling deadlines after a priority deadline (often December 15 is priority, and March 1st is final).

I am a pre-med student who decided very late in the game (around August 2017) that I would be applying to Fall 2018 MPH programs, so rushing to prepare for take the GRE and get application materials in line, on top of a full class load, finals, working, and volunteering, I was barely prepared to submit a good personal statement and app to schools with a December 15 priority deadline. So I decided to take the time during December to work on a good statement, and I am looking to submit my SOPHAS apps by next week (early January 2018). I know SOPHAS takes a month to verify, which doesn't help my nerves.

As searching the internet goes, I have begun to panic seeing that a lot of folks have submitted super early. Is January submission, with a rolling admission due March 1st, way too late? Are my chances hurt? I know the sooner the better, but how soon? At this point, I can't do much besides submit ASAP, next week, but I just want to know if I should freak out.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure who said the sooner the better for applying to grad school. The worst thing you can do is rush your applications in and have an overall sloppy application. You already missed the priority deadline and the regular deadline is not till March 1. What's your hurry?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all. I'm new here. Forgive me if I say something stupid.

So I am applying to MPH programs in the US (US citizen) and I have noticed a lot of schools, such as University of Michigan, have rolling deadlines after a priority deadline (often December 15 is priority, and March 1st is final).

I am a pre-med student who decided very late in the game (around August 2017) that I would be applying to Fall 2018 MPH programs, so rushing to prepare for take the GRE and get application materials in line, on top of a full class load, finals, working, and volunteering, I was barely prepared to submit a good personal statement and app to schools with a December 15 priority deadline. So I decided to take the time during December to work on a good statement, and I am looking to submit my SOPHAS apps by next week (early January 2018). I know SOPHAS takes a month to verify, which doesn't help my nerves.

As searching the internet goes, I have begun to panic seeing that a lot of folks have submitted super early. Is January submission, with a rolling admission due March 1st, way too late? Are my chances hurt? I know the sooner the better, but how soon? At this point, I can't do much besides submit ASAP, next week, but I just want to know if I should freak out.

I really don't think that you should be freaking out. Priority deadlines were very daunting for me too mostly because of funding opportunities but also remember that everyone who is getting accepted to programs now won't attend every program so as they decline spots scholarship money will become available. Also just because you apply after a priority deadline doesn't mean that you won't be awarded ANY funding. Just stay calm and put your effort into what you can control which is your applications. I'm sure you'll have a strong application with everything you are involved in!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also decided to apply even later than you (after Thanksgiving) although I'm only applying to one school which makes it easier. I submitted my app around Dec 20th and SOPHAS just verified this week. I'm still waiting on one recommendation and take the GRE next week. My only regret is not having more time to study for GRE. I did really well on GMAT years ago so know I could do well, but don't have much time to study. Thankfully scores for MPH programs are much less competitive than b-schools. Schools are going to keep accepting applications until the deadline. It may affect scholarships, but even then maybe not at every school. The school I'm applying to doesn't announce scholarships till March so I'd think they look at all the apps that come in (regardless of when submitted) and then decide. Worse case scenario you don't get in and reapply next year.

My application to Emory was verified in 2 days!! I'm not saying that's what will happen for you, but its possible. I'm doing January deadline for all my schools and I'm not too worried. Has SOPHAS received your transcript?