**University of Michigan Medical School Class of 2012**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bonsai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can it be that no one has started this thread yet? Michigan is one of my top choices. Anyone else out there thinking of going Blue?

Members don't see this ad.

Also one of my top choices. Especially after hearing what Robert Ruiz mentioned on interview day about the endowment to come...

I have to say, I'm a little shocked by the lack of response here. I know you Michigan folk are out there. And everyone I have met at the school is beyond excited to be there. So let's generate a little excitement of our own, huh? Otherwise, perhaps we aren't worthy to become a Wolverine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to say, I'm a little shocked by the lack of response here. I know you Michigan folk are out there. And everyone I have met at the school is beyond excited to be there. So let's generate a little excitement of our own, huh? Otherwise, perhaps we aren't worthy to become a Wolverine.

Hey Bonsai I'm glad you started this thread! I have been waiting for someone to start it (lame I know, but at least I'm honest). I'm really excited about Michigan and I can't wait to quit my job. So Bonsai and bellevueperson where are you guys from?
(I'm from the Bay Area in CA)

From Seattle but living in NYC right now. I've been impressed with everything about Michigan; from the video to the personalized acceptance letter...it's going to be very hard to pass up this offer.

UM blew my mind from the moment I submitted my primary to...today! I'm 50/50 between UM and my state school. We'll see how the financial aid packages work out

Hey everyone!

It's funny how these threads turn out. My class (2010) had a ton of people in the UM class thread. It'll likely grow later in the year (post finaid packages) and especially around May, as people finally lock in.

Anyway, just wanted to congratulate you all and let you know that I and some other UM med students may stop in to see if you have any questions from time to time. Feel free to ask anything of us or of other accepted students of course- this is your board after all.

Oh, and we are excited to be here, and hope you are (and will be) too!

-James, M2@UM

I will be starting at Michigan this year. I'm currently living in Ann Arbor and have lived here for years, so if anyone has questions about the city or surrounding area, feel free to ask. I'm also a paramedic for the local ambulance company, so if anyone has EMS related questions, let me know as well. I look forward to meeting all of you!

-Bill

for those of you in ann arbor, make the time in your schedule to see the galens smoker on march 7th and 8th! it is a michigan tradition!
(warning: show may be offensive to some people)

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I think I've done it. I've made my decision. I will be a Wolverine next year, the next four years, and throughout my career and lifetime. I am very excited to be able to say this, as it is such a wonderfully historical, prestigious, and well respected medical school. It's time that those of us who know we are headed to Ann Arbor in August hijack the SDN forums and show some new school spirit.

I'll be at 2 of the 3 days of second look weekend. (Sister's graduation is on May 3rd) Looking forward to meeting those of us in the UMMS Class of 2012!

Go Blue!

*bump*

Any more future classmates lurking on SDN? Where are the rest of ya from?

dear michigan class of 2012,
please mark your schedules to see the smoker this friday or saturday. it is a prerequisite to your attendance at michigan. there will be a test on it during orientation. :D

seriously, though, galens is a med student group, one of a kind, found only at the university of michigan. it is a great way to get to know people in other classes. the smoker is the annual medical student musical comedy, and this will be its 90th year.

i would go, but i'm a resident a couple of thousand miles away.

I would love to go to the smoker if I were in the area. I'll surely be in attendance next year.

Quick question for the current students at U-M (either undergrad or med): Can I get the names of popular apt complexes that med students tend to reside? I just want to start getting a feel for where things are situated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I was also accepted to Michigan and it is definitely one of my top choices right now! The current students I interacted with during the interview day were by far the most normal and interesting of any school I had been to, which I think is what is really selling it for me.
Yay Michigan!!!! :D

Most M1/M2 types, at least, seem to live in the "white coat ghetto" area... Medical Center Court Apartments and Island Drive Apartments. Both are on Maiden Lane about a block or two north of the UMHS campus.

I would love to go to the smoker if I were in the area. I'll surely be in attendance next year.

Quick question for the current students at U-M (either undergrad or med): Can I get the names of popular apt complexes that med students tend to reside? I just want to start getting a feel for where things are situated.

Thanks.

Most M1/M2 types, at least, seem to live in the "white coat ghetto" area... Medical Center Court Apartments and Island Drive Apartments. Both are on Maiden Lane about a block or two north of the UMHS campus.

Thanks Medic,

If by "ghetto" people mean where all the students congregate and wreak havoc, then consider me in. On the other hand, if "ghetto" refers to the state of the accommodations then I wonder if you're aware of any apartments potentially further away?

Actually, you know what, if the "white coat ghetto" is where most of my classmates will be livin, then it doesn't matter either way. Plus, I'm sure 90%+ of my time will be spent on the UMHS campus anyway.

Thanks Medic,

If by "ghetto" people mean where all the students congregate and wreak havoc, then consider me in. On the other hand, if "ghetto" refers to the state of the accommodations then I wonder if you're aware of any apartments potentially further away?

Actually, you know what, if the "white coat ghetto" is where most of my classmates will be livin, then it doesn't matter either way. Plus, I'm sure 90%+ of my time will be spent on the UMHS campus anyway.

They're not too bad. Med Center Court is a bit nicer than Island Drive, but either location works. You can get better stuff further away if you're willing to search for it, but then you won't be able to walk to school. Most people at least start off in the white coat ghetto for the first year. You can find a lot of information in the student guide here:

http://www.med.umich.edu/medstudents/siteParts/codeblue.pdf

when i was at michigan i rented from a classmate who had bought a condo in nielsen square. it's immediately adjacent to med ctr ct/ island drive, and much nicer if you can afford it.

CCHA Quarterfinals, Game 1: Michigan 10, Nebraska-Omaha 1. Can you say spanked? :bow:

We are expecting scholarship info this Friday correct?

Also, did anyone else get a message from Fin Aid telling them that their info for aid is incomplete and that they needed to mail in a couple extra forms and whatnot?

I basically pose these questions to bump us to the top (there has to be more of us out there in SDN land) but also because I'm semi-curious.

We are expecting scholarship info this Friday correct?

Also, did anyone else get a message from Fin Aid telling them that their info for aid is incomplete and that they needed to mail in a couple extra forms and whatnot?

I basically pose these questions to bump us to the top (there has to be more of us out there in SDN land) but also because I'm semi-curious.

Hey HypoxiaBoy I got the same message from Financial Aid. I was a little worried at first but I just needed to send the citizenship thing in. As for news about scholarships, I think we find out on Monday the 31st and our actual aid package sometime in April.

The white coat ghetto isn't actually _ghetto_, but the downside is the landlords know they can always attract students so they're not the nicest people to deal with (so I've heard). Also the apartments aren't that nice. The upside is that the majority of your classmates will live there, so if you want to be social it's easy to walk over and say hi.

A nice alternative is Huron Towers, I've lived here for two years and it's been pretty good. The apartments are a little bit more expensive, but the service is amazing--you need something fixed, it gets done in a matter of hours. The gym is a lot nicer than the one in Med Center Court (more treadmills, weight machines) and has several TVs. Outdoor parking is free. And the Huron River is right behind you. HT is across from the VA and a short walk to the bus stop which takes you to the med school, so total transit time isn't any different from living in the white coat ghetto.

A lot of residents and grad students live in HT since it's close to north campus.

I checked out the Huron Towers and they look pretty great. Coming from Philadelphia, the rent is in the right ball park for both 1 and 2 bdrms.

As for potential roommates, when do people usually find them? I can't make the second look weekend, so I'm wondering if there is another chance or method to seek out future roomies if we want? It seems a really nice 2 bedroom is highly affordable if the rent is split.

Also, I'm curious/excited to hear what orientation weekend entails. And when the heck does school start? I can't find this info anywhere.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Hi everyone,
I finally made the decision to commit to UofM. I'm really excited to be heading to Michigan next year, and look forward to meeting everyone at second look weekend. Did everyone get a chance to register? I know registration closed down pretty fast.

i registered for second look and am looking forward to meeting everyone! where is everyone thinking of living?

i registered for second look and am looking forward to meeting everyone! where is everyone thinking of living?

I'm thinking those Huron Towers look pretty accommodating. I'll probably make an "unofficial" second look weekend for myself sometime this summer, snoop around a bit and try to sign a lease.

How did all of you like that sweet DVD? I think I've watched it 4 or 5 times already. It's a great flick for when you get back from the bar.

I would not recommend Huron Towers, at least for first year. It's kind of far, you pretty much have to bike or take the bus (not much fun in the long winter). It would be much better to be closer to the med school. There's a good housing website in the admitted student's page that gives good options.

I would not recommend Huron Towers, at least for first year. It's kind of far, you pretty much have to bike or take the bus (not much fun in the long winter). It would be much better to be closer to the med school. There's a good housing website in the admitted student's page that gives good options.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info. I actually had no idea where these "Towers" were. I'm much more interested in finding something closer to my classmates and school. WCG here I come!

Hey guys, on the website it says that 3/28 was the "Scholarship Distribution Date"

... was anyone offered any scholarships yet??

EDIT: I'm an idiot, they will notify us by 3/31 via email.

One more plug for Michigan--I'm studying for the boards right now and it's really nice to be able to look at a review book and say Oh, I remember covering that in class. We were told that Michigan prepares you well for the boards and now I'm finally seeing some of that.

Go Blue!

I'll be in and out at the second look weekend... see you then.

Anyone get any scholarships today?

New subject: Anyone planning on driving to Michigan from the East Coast? I'll most likely be leaving from Western Mass. Who wants to road trip?

hey, i'm a graduating m4 from umich and will be moving out soon for residency. my two roommmates (both md/phd students) are looking to find a roommate to replace me in our spacious condo that is mere minutes walking distance from the hospital and medical center. if you'd be interested, PM me and i can give you further details. our rent will be comparable/better than what you'll find in nearby apartments, and your room will be fully furnished with a queen bed and desk. also, we have wireless internet and hdtv if you're into that. you can check out the place during 2nd look weekend if you'll be around, but just let me know in advance if possible. i can also answer any other questions about umich med if you have any. thanks and good luck with the rest of your decision-making!

on average do yall know how many students are removed from the high and middle priority waitlist?

hello Everyone,

I've finally made up my mind to attend Michigan!

Can someone please list some of the best possible apartments close by...apart from those listed on the admitted students website? Or are those the only apartments options close by within 1 mile walk to class?

My fiance attended Michigan for undergrad and is now working in research at the hospital. Are there any of you who went to UM for undergrad? I've heard they don't like to necessarily accept those who went to undergrad here...just looking to see what your experience has been

I've heard they don't like to necessarily accept those who went to undergrad here...just looking to see what your experience has been

Not so! It just seems that way because U of M has so many pre-meds that apply; they can't let them all in. If you look at the past admissions statistics you'll see that a good deal of the UMMS student body hails from Ann Arbor, myself included :D Go Blue :thumbup:

Hey everyone!

It's funny how these threads turn out. My class (2010) had a ton of people in the UM class thread. It'll likely grow later in the year (post finaid packages) and especially around May, as people finally lock in.

Anyway, just wanted to congratulate you all and let you know that I and some other UM med students may stop in to see if you have any questions from time to time. Feel free to ask anything of us or of other accepted students of course- this is your board after all.

Oh, and we are excited to be here, and hope you are (and will be) too!

-James, M2@UM

Your signature makes me sick. Ripping on MSU, because you now are at scUM? Did you forget that MSU invented Cisplatin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisplatin

This is the biggest drug in the battle against cancer. Millions owe their lives to MSU.

Your signature makes me sick. Ripping on MSU, because you now are at scUM? Did you forget that MSU invented Cisplatin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisplatin

This is the biggest drug in the battle against cancer. Millions owe their lives to MSU.

:confused:

I could be wrong, but I think he put that link in his sig because he's proud of the accomplishment. If I recall correctly, dajimmers has always been very pro-msu.

Ragging on Dajimmers?? You misunderstand him. He's one of the nicest students here.

hi michigan med students,

wanted to post an announcement about the university of michigan life sciences orchestra informational meeting and auditions, which are coming up. i was in the lso when i was at michigan, and it was a great experience. it was great to be able to relax and just play music once a week. also i got to know other med students and attendings through the orchestra. would recommend it if you play an instrument, even if you haven't played for a couple of years, that's ok!

life sciences orchestra website

Just a reminder that the U-M Life Sciences Orchestra will hold its season kickoff meeting on Sunday, Aug. 31 at 7 p.m. in the Rehearsal Hall of the School of Music building on North Campus. This meeting will feature information about the LSO's ninth season, a chance to meet music director Mark Latham, and the opportunity to sign up for auditions. Auditions will be held the evenings of Sept. 2, 3, 4 and 5 in the School of Music. If you cannot make it to the Aug. 31 meeting but would like to audition, please e-mail orchestra (at) umich.edu .

I'm really not sure where exactly to post this...but I have an apartment available right near the hospital located right off maiden lane for next year (starting July 1st). If anyone is interested (female only!) feel free to PM me :)