***University of Miami Class of 2011!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to NC to visit my bf and then we're coming back down here for xmas/new years then he'll be heading back up to NC for classes and I'll be down here finishing my last semester of undergrad ever!!! :D :D

What are your plans Jessy? Everyone?

Hi Yrodri, thanks for reassuring us. I can't believe you admitt that you're a dolphin fan. :eek:

I'll be working. I'm probably going to go back to the motherland sometime in January :).

Is your bf moving down here next year?

Members don't see this ad.

I got my official letter 4 days after the email/phone call. But the mail doesnt have to go far from miami to gainesville.

I got my official letter 4 days after the email/phone call. But the mail doesnt have to go far from miami to gainesville.

Well... :( I'm in North Miami...so I guess I should be expecting that mail today or tomorrow ...

Members don't see this ad :)
i still haven't received my letter yet either, and was notified last Thursday. so hopefully, it will come tommorow. it only has to go to Boca :)

fmj...I received my letter in the mail the following monday and I was notified on wednesday. I only live 45 minutes from the boca campus though. :p

Jessy, yeah my bf's supposed to be moving down here once he graduates...we'll see what happens...

Yrodi...I LOVE your avator. Dan's the Man. Best QB EVER! :D :D

hahah A dan fan? We're gonna get along just fine then :)

As far as academic societies, just keep in mind, Cushing is the best! (no bias there)

fmj...I received my letter in the mail the following monday and I was notified on wednesday. I only live 45 minutes from the boca campus though. :p

Jessy, yeah my bf's supposed to be moving down here once he graduates...we'll see what happens...

Yrodi...I LOVE your avator. Dan's the Man. Best QB EVER! :D :D
Should I try and switch campuses, because I have absolute ZERO interest in football? Or will you guys take me as I am ? :eek: :scared:

You should attend the program offered by UM med, its taught by Dr. Hinkley himself, that teaches and plants the seed of football in all incoming first years. Although I must say, football has robbed a lot of potential study time this season... no wonder I always do near perfect during spring! :cool:

You should attend the program offered by UM med, its taught by Dr. Hinkley himself, that teaches and plants the seed of football in all incoming first years. Although I must say, football has robbed a lot of potential study time this season... no wonder I always do near perfect during spring! :cool:
phew...I was worried I'd be lost. Thank you Dr. Hinkley :) always making sure students are getting on well in the program ! :laugh:

I'm a closet dolphins fan...they're not doing so good this year...or last year, or the year before that... :)

My AIM sn is Ginkneephur2 if anyone's interested. I added everyone else's that listed theirs...:)

Hey future canes (sorry brian about the duplicate thread)

Just wanted to give a californian hello...anyone else go out the night before their UM interview?

hey Dasa Congrats and welcome to miami! Hmm night before interview? I was shivering in my bed lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
my student host took me out on thursday night (i had an interview on friday) to some club on south beach. They were running a student event for the UM med and law school, so we got free cover (which was 60) and 2 dollar skye vodka drinks all night. while i only had a few, I invited my host to get ****-faced, as I told him I'd drive him home. We hang out, met some gorgeous locals, danced a bunch, and then went home....never had a better night's rest. I was so tired I just passed out--you always gotta power through that next day!

needless to say, my time in miami was perfect...probably why I like the school so much

Hey future canes (sorry brian about the duplicate thread)

Just wanted to give a californian hello...anyone else go out the night before their UM interview?

I'm so jealous.

Tonight I checked my mail and I got my dumb alternate letter. Where is my FAU acceptance letter? I was tempted to cry again...:laugh:

Does anyone have any idea how much funding Miami has for Medical Students to do research in the summer? They have some incredible research centers, but I am not really sure if we would be funded there in the summer.

Does anyone have any idea how much funding Miami has for Medical Students to do research in the summer? They have some incredible research centers, but I am not really sure if we would be funded there in the summer.
It's relatively easy to get a paid ST research position at UM, if that's what you mean. Getting funding for independent projects would work the same way it would work anywhere else; it's more about personal initiative than anything a med school's administration would do for you.

Is there any field in particular that you're curious about?

It's relatively easy to get a paid research internship at UM, if that's what you mean. Getting funding for independent projects would work the same way it would work anywhere else; it's more about personal initiative than anything a med school's administration would do for you.

Is there any field in particular that you're curious about?

Yes, I am talking about working under a professor or physician for the summer and getting funding.
I am really interested in the spinal cord research they have at Miami, but I wasn't sure if I could get funding while doing research for the summer. I would also like to get some sort of publication for residency purposes, and this would kill two birds with one stone (money for summer, pub for residency.)

These two places seem like the most reasonable places to rent from in the area. Does anyone know what the pros and cons are of these two places? Any idea on what rent there is this year? I saw a post from last year where someone was looking for a roommate to live in Jackson and the rent was only $500.

Also, when are we going to get one of these?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MiamiMed2010/

Hells Yeah!

:hardy:

Guess who is on break!

High Five!

Yes, I am talking about working under a professor or physician for the summer and getting funding.
I am really interested in the spinal cord research they have at Miami, but I wasn't sure if I could get funding while doing research for the summer.
Of course, though that would be doable almost anywhere.

But yeah, if neurons and research are your thing, you'd probably fit right in at UM. It's sickening how many students here go into anesthesia and the neuro fields. As far as research goes, we seem to do well when it comes to neurons; the department of neurosurgery is ranked #5 nationally in NIH funding, neurology #18, and PM&R #8.

I read that the admissions office will set one up in Feb

Anyone wishing it was June-July, and you had things more settled than right now, still waiting to hear back from schools and whatever? I wish interview season was over, and that I knew exactly what my plans were :) I want to start med school already...!

Probably 3 weeks into it, I'll be wishing it hadn't started already...LOL :laugh:

These two places seem like the most reasonable places to rent from in the area. Does anyone know what the pros and cons are of these two places? Any idea on what rent there is this year?

bump

Dominion/Jackson Towers:

Pros:
- Because they're right next to the med campus, they're incredibly convenient places to live, particularly during 3rd and 4th year. Nothing beats rolling out of bed at a time when others are grabbing their keys, and casually strolling into the hospital.
- It's cheaper than living on the beach or on Brickell.
- The wellness center is right across the street from Dominion.
- Metrorail access
- A good number of your classmates will be your neighbors.

Cons:
- The whole place turns into a ghost town after dark, though the new medical wellness center is supposedly going to remedy that over time.
- Very little to do in the area and very few places to shop nearby. All you've got in the immediate vicinity is Winn-Dixie.
- It's not the nicest neighborhood (though that's overstated, IMO, considering that the whole area is commercial and isn't really a 'neighborhood' at all.).
- You're not living on the beach or on Brickell.

Overall, there are much, much, much nicer places to live. The only major draw for DT/JT is their proximity to the med campus. If you're interested, you probably want to put your name on the waiting lists ASAP.

Dominion/Jackson Towers:

Pros:
- Because they're right next to the med campus, they're incredibly convenient places to live, particularly during 3rd and 4th year. Nothing beats rolling out of bed at a time when others are grabbing their keys and casually strolling into the hospital.
- It's cheaper than living on the beach or on Brickell.
- The wellness center is right across the street from Dominion.
- Metrorail access
- A good number of your classmates will be your neighbors.

Cons:
- The whole place turns into a ghost town after dark, though the new medical wellness center is supposedly going to remedy that over time.
- Very little to do in the area and very few places to shop nearby. All you've got in the immediate vicinity is Winn-Dixie.
- It's not the nicest neighborhood (though that's overstated, IMO, considering that the whole area is commercial and isn't really a 'neighborhood' at all.).
- You're not living on the beach or on Brickell.

Overall, there are much, much, much better places to live. The only major draw for DT/JT is their proximity to the med campus. If you're interested, you probably want to put your name on the waiting lists ASAP.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks for the awesome post. Do you have any idea how much these places cost?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks for the awesome post. Do you have any idea how much these places cost?
The cost of rent keeps going up, so I don't really know for sure, but I'd reckon a two-bedroom should run about a grand now.

If I'm not mistaken, Dominion is the pricier of the two. Jackson's apartments are a bit bigger, though the hallways are dingy and depressing. That said, both places are pretty dumpy.

I'm pumped about my acceptance to UM in Miami. I can't wait to see the med school again during a second look trip. Hinkley mentioned that they might be offering one sometime in April, but wasn't 100% sure if it would occur.

Anyone else heard anything about this. I would love to go again.

a 20-year-old who's about to finish a masters?

jesus, doogita.

ha. thanks guys. seriously....
this is my second time applying so it's freakin fantastic that i've been accepted to one of my top choices so early on. yay!
i appreciate all the congrats :)

ha. thanks guys. seriously....
this is my second time applying so it's freakin fantastic that i've been accepted to one of my top choices so early on. yay!
i appreciate all the congrats :)
I know what that means.

Have fun at Harvard.

I know what that means.

Have fun at Harvard.

hey don't hate! ;) ha j/k
but for serious... four years freezing my ass in boston, vs. four years of tanning it on south beach!?
now, if hopkins wants me, maybe we'll talk. ;) i mainly applied to harvard just to see what would happen. still waitin'...

anybody into finding a place in brickell? (or however you spell it...)
when I stayed with my host, he said that the easiest way to find a place to live is to hire an agent who will find places for you...might not be the cheapest, but they do pretty well for themselves. They had this incredible 3 bedroom flat in a brickell highrise...though the ones in brickell key looked nice too. South beach seems to far/exciting to live in, and the housing by campus, as mentioned, is a bit run down and in a cruddy neighborhood--so brickell is the place to be!

I can't wait for that yahoo group...though my roomates for the past three years at berkeley have been amazing :(

erin--any progress on that waitlist? FAU is nice, but you know you want to come to the main land :cool:

anybody into finding a place in brickell? (or however you spell it...)
when I stayed with my host, he said that the easiest way to find a place to live is to hire an agent who will find places for you...might not be the cheapest, but they do pretty well for themselves. They had this incredible 3 bedroom flat in a brickell highrise...though the ones in brickell key looked nice too. South beach seems to far/exciting to live in, and the housing by campus, as mentioned, is a bit run down and in a cruddy neighborhood--so brickell is the place to be!

I can't wait for that yahoo group...though my roomates for the past three years at berkeley have been amazing :(

erin--any progress on that waitlist? FAU is nice, but you know you want to come to the main land :cool:

Waitlist probably won't move till April...you know I want to come to the main land ;) hehe....don't tease!

Yeah I'm thinking about Brickell. When I found my place in North Miami Beach, I used an agent from a real estate company. The owner of the condo (I rent from a Condo owner) or owner of the property pays the agent, and they get no cut out of your rent...it's not like when you use some shady agent who charges you WAY more for your apartment...

Try a big company like Prudential or whatever, and look around on various websites. You'll find out very quickly just how much things cost that way.

I just got my name on the waitlist for Jackson and Dominion towers. Dominion has a waitlist that may clear by August if I am really lucky, but Jackson is supposed to be at least two years. Did anyone else get their name on the list earlier? If so I would love to share a two bedroom.

Guys, I just came back from Vegas and I can honestly say that it does not even compare to Miami. We are very lucky to be going to a great school in a great location.

Guys, I just came back from Vegas and I can honestly say that it does not even compare to Miami. We are very lucky to be going to a great school in a great location.

:confused: :rolleyes: :D

You can't even compare the two.

hey guys
congrats on ur acceptances...im a MS1 at miami and i've noticed a couple of my classmates on this board...hit me up if you have any questions...i'll break it down for you....

but basically really do your research on whichever school you want to go to...make sure that the curriculum is right for you...make sure the city is right for you...choosing your med school will be one of the most important decisions you will have made up to this point in your life...

merry xmas...

jon--do you know rich coia? he was my amazing host...you should hear our club stories :)

also...how many students in each class are from california? I grew up in LA and have lived near SF for 4 years (berkeley) but think that miami really might suit my way of life...aren't there a lot of californians around?

Thanks for your help..and happy holidays!

hey i know rich...in fact he lives in my building...excellent guy who will be great in this profession...

theres a good amount of kids from california...off the top of my head i could name at least 10....i think there are at least 4 or 5 from the LA area or UCLA...know a couple of kids from davis...

the weather here is hella nice...nothing like rolling out of bed and going to class in shorts and flip flops....if you're looking for a relatively laidback environment then miami is for you...yes we have gunners but for the most part i'd say 90% of our class is willing to help each other out...

thats a great building...I loved the spas and the rent seemed cheap (comparing what it is in berkeley). I met a number of other people, whos faces I remember but names escape me...though one girl made some killer peach cobbler.

Also, how ample are the reserach opportunities? I know Hinkley and my interviewer (Dr. Takeko Toyama) tried to stress it, but I don't know if it was because I'm doing my own project that might get published

i had your same interviewer...really nice lady...as far as research goes there is a lot of opportunities...always projects going on...best way to go about that is to get in touch with residents because they always have research going on...there is this lady named Joyce Bierdeman who is also in charge of student research opportunities who can give you contact info for specific labs...

i had your same interviewer...really nice lady...as far as research goes there is a lot of opportunities...always projects going on...best way to go about that is to get in touch with residents because they always have research going on...there is this lady named Joyce Bierdeman who is also in charge of student research opportunities who can give you contact info for specific labs...

Hey Jon,

I wanted to ask 2 questions:

1) What buliding do you live in and how much are you paying? (if that's not too much to ask)

2) If I remember last years Florida thread, you came off the waitlist?! or something...sorry, I remember you asking something about maybe switching campuses... ANYWAYS, when does it start to move? Does it help to talk to Dr. Hinkley?

I'm waitlisted at main campus and any advice would be great. I have no grades coming in, I'm out of school and work at Starbucks and teach MCAT class. Should I be volunteering in healthcare? I'm really busy with work, but I'll do whatever it takes...

J

im living with 2 roommates so we had to get extra parking....my rent ends up being close to 900....i wanted to stay under 1000 and spent a good amount of time in contact with local apartment locators and browsing craigslist...i was also looking kind of late (in july) so my options might have been more limited..but brickell is nice...real nice actually..a 10-15 minutes drive to school

yeah i was originally accepted to boca in may...at that point it was the only spots available...i put in a transfer request and 2-3 wks later i was in at miami...

in terms of adding stuff to ur file, don't worry about that...the whole transfer list to miami is just based on when you request the change..you are already accepted at UM...boca isnt any worse than miami...its just a matter of preference as to where you want to live and if you like small classes...in fact ive heard that their test averages are higher because they have more 1 on 1 attention....but then again you dont get miami nightlife and you have less classmates...

im willing to bet that you will get switched to miami very soon...you can write hinkley if you want but he told me that it was strictly based on time of request...so basically just try to have fun and relax....time flies so make the most of it....

im willing to bet that you will get switched to miami very soon...you can write hinkley if you want but he told me that it was strictly based on time of request...so basically just try to have fun and relax....time flies so make the most of it....

Hey Jon,

Thanks for replying so soon. I don't think they are working with the "switch" policy anymore, because the two adcoms are SUPPOSEDLY separate. I will have to gun my way off the waitlist like the rest of them I think. This really bites that I'm the first 4 year program at Boca, because since there is no precedent NOBODY can tell me how anything will work. It's an uneasy feeling...

Anyways, I guess I'll meet with Dr. Hinkley and tell him why Miami is my first choice as oppose to Boca. Hopefully it will turn out in my favour.

I'll keep you all posted.

Hey Jon,

Anyways, I guess I'll meet with Dr. Hinkley and tell him why Miami is my first choice as oppose to Boca. Hopefully it will turn out in my favour.

G'luck j! hope it goes well...

and merry xmas all you miamians (though it's happy chanukkah for me)

G'luck j! hope it goes well...

and merry xmas all you miamians (though it's happy chanukkah for me)
Happy Hannukah DasaCohen!! :) Thanks for the luck, I hope I get in!!! I'm Jewish too, and I kinda wish I had gone to be with my family, because my mom makes us sing Hannukah songs all around the Menorah, it's really cute.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah or HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Love my Florida peeps!

oh yah thats right....i heard that they have 2 separate schools now but you still had the same application to fill out? i guess i'd try to e-mail hinkley and ask how you can improve your chances...maybe a letter of intent if you are dead set on miami....in any case its early in the game and a lot can happen between now and june...