University of Miami, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
McMD said:
Note to anyone applying next year.....APPLY EARLYYYYYY!!!!!
That's good advice for all rolling schools, so take note, Floridians!

Members don't see this ad.

bumping....I'm at the courthouse now serving jury duty...good times! Feel free to keep me entertained ;) Does anyone know if all of our rotations will be at JMH, or are some at other hospitals?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up guys. This thread needs some more activity!

So, I am on the verge of withdrawing my other acceptances and only keeping Miami. But it is scary to withdraw! As soon as I get up the nerve I'm going to do it. I'm still holding on to a couple waitlists, but barring the possibility of getting off those, I'll be at UM this Fall. So still not 100% but getting closer to it.

BTW, has any movement occured on the FAU/Miami transfer list yet? McMD? I know you are waiting too, perhaps others as well.

foodlover said:
What's up guys. This thread needs some more activity!

So, I am on the verge of withdrawing my other acceptances and only keeping Miami. But it is scary to withdraw! As soon as I get up the nerve I'm going to do it. I'm still holding on to a couple waitlists, but barring the possibility of getting off those, I'll be at UM this Fall. So still not 100% but getting closer to it.

BTW, has any movement occured on the FAU/Miami transfer list yet? McMD? I know you are waiting too, perhaps others as well.
I hate withdrawing too....I wish I could attend more than one med school. :p

Other than writing to the schools and letting them know whether we decide to stay on the list or withdraw for another school...is there any other place we need to send notification as May 15 comes near?

No movement on the transfers between FAU/UM FoodLover, Dr. H said mid-late May as people withdraw from UM.

Wee...I think you'll need to send your deposit to hold your spot as well....I sent mine to UM but it caused controversy on the Florida thread for some reason, I guess someone thought we didn't have to send one....but I'm almost positive that you do have to!!

Well that's really weird. Because when I called them, they were discouraging anyone from sending deposits until after May 15.

BTW, is the deposit 100 dollars or 200 dollars? It makes no sense to me, because they have 100 dollars in writing, but I could have sworn they said 200 at the interview.

:confused:

I'm pretty sure it's $100....AMCAS regulations say that it the deposit for any school should not exceed $100. They discourage early deposits because they are non-refundable and I'm sure many people change their minds on where to attend during the application process, but as May 15th is approaching and people are deciding on schools, I'm sure the deposits are welcomed. They are due at the end of May per Dr. H's email....though last year the deadline was June 10th...so I'm sure the beginning of June will be the deadline again this year.

Looks like the updated the incoming freshman website AND the financial aid website. When are we supposed to apply for the loans? How early do we need the $?

Just yesterday, my Mom is like, shouldn't you have applied for your loans already??? What are you waiting for? And now I'm kinda scared....does it take a long time to get approved or something? :scared:

RunnerMD said:
Looks like the updated the incoming freshman website AND the financial aid website. When are we supposed to apply for the loans? How early do we need the $?

Just yesterday, my Mom is like, shouldn't you have applied for your loans already??? What are you waiting for? And now I'm kinda scared....does it take a long time to get approved or something? :scared:

Don't worry Runner, I talked to the fin aid lady awhile ago and she said we don't have to do the loan paperwork until later in the summer. They will send us our package in June and then you do the loan stuff. I am going to be out of the country from early May til early July and the lady said that it would be no problem for me to do all the loan stuff after I got back.

In other news, isn't it crazy that orientation starts Aug 3?! So soon! Other schools don't start til later in August. I guess my plan of getting an August 1 move-in to an apartment will be really tight!

Runner, I meandered onto the fin.aid website and decided to go ahead and apply for the loans. I'm already approved, I'm just waiting for the finaid to ok everything. It took seconds to do everything, I was actually amazed.

One question though...I went with the University of Miami lender for the stafford lonas...do other lenders have different interest rates for the stafford or is it all the same for this loan? I didn't do the research on it, well, I kinda did but just got confused. I was under the impression that for the stafford it's all the same, but for the private loans is where it's different! ???????

Members don't see this ad :)
foodlover said:
In other news, isn't it crazy that orientation starts Aug 3?! So soon! Other schools don't start til later in August. I guess my plan of getting an August 1 move-in to an apartment will be really tight!

YES! About 10 min ago, my boss asked me why I was quitting so early when school didn't start until late Aug/early Sept.?

Speaking of...did anyone look at the calendar and see the "games" day that is on our LAST Saturday before school? I don't mean to sound like a "party pooper," but I really loathe forced bonding activities like that.

McMD said:
Runner, I meandered onto the fin.aid website and decided to go ahead and apply for the loans. I'm already approved, I'm just waiting for the finaid to ok everything. It took seconds to do everything, I was actually amazed.

One question though...I went with the University of Miami lender for the stafford lonas...do other lenders have different interest rates for the stafford or is it all the same for this loan? I didn't do the research on it, well, I kinda did but just got confused. I was under the impression that for the stafford it's all the same, but for the private loans is where it's different! ???????

McMD, did you have to specify the amount of loans you want? Or do you just leave that part blank?

Stafford loans are the same rate everwhere but what varies is the "bonus." Some places will give you a bonus, like if you pay on time, or for other reasons. From my research, I think I"m gonna go with T.H.E. as the lender.

McMD said:

Mc - We are so alike! I did the same thing. I went to the website, filled in all of my info, and then got nervous and logged out before submitting anything. I didn't know what dates I would need the funds and wasn't sure about a few of the questions. I really wish they had a powerpoint presentation with screenshots that said, "Ok, put in this date here, that date there, request this amount of money, etc."

I hate all things financial. I'm somewhat of an airhead when it comes to this stuff.

RunnerMD said:

Speaking of...did anyone look at the calendar and see the "games" day that is on our LAST Saturday before school? I don't mean to sound like a "party pooper," but I really loathe forced bonding activities like that.

It really isn't too bad. That's also the day, you learn what society you are in and meet your classmates and some upperclassmen. I hope you all have a wonderful summer and be ready for classes August 4. Cause UM starts classes the very next day. The first module is the hardest in medical school and after that, you just get used to it. The biochemistry portion is usually the lowest score, however not everyone prereads like they recommend. Just be ready to start studying from day one and you should be fine.

Also are they still recommending that you buy, those medical novels? Actually, you don't need them till like the second semester. I bought them though, because I wanted to do something related to school, during the summer.

I know that was more info than your post asked for, but I am just soooooo Haaaaaaaaaaaaapy, I am done. Heep Heep Hurrray :)

1 bedroom 1 bath condo 5 minutes away from Jackson. Located in a gated community, with newly renovated bathroom and updated appliances. Nice sized patio for hanging out. Very quiet, some students that live here, ride a bike to school (saving $70/month in parking). Bonus: Newly renovated Gym, pool and hottub on premises.
Picture of premises attached

Sine I am going to be tied up with USMLE Board studying, you can contact my agent, if interested.

Virginia Clark
305-960-2600 (O)
305-595-7872 (R)
[email protected]

Attachments

• House for Sale2.doc
    82 KB · Views: 148
  • House for Sale1.doc
    85 KB · Views: 139
What calendar?

I haven't received any major mail from them since I got my acceptance letter. Are we supposed to already have gotten the orientation information? According to Agnes, they're going to be sending out information in a week or two by mail.

And what list of medical novels? Where did you find that?

When Nflow was a 1st year they were required to read some novels over the summer like The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and Complications etc. However our class was not required to read these books and I don’t think the Class of 2010 will be either. However I do recommend Complications, it is a very good book. The only book we were required to read was Arrowsmith during the spring for one of our professionalism classes.

I have Lippincott's 2nd Edition. They've recommended that we review using the 3rd Edition? Can anyone compare the two as to what the major differences are?

Oh, and I found out what calendar you're talking about. :p

Yeah, I agree. A full day of "games"? :rolleyes:

RunnerMD said:

Given that orientation starts on a Thursday, I wouldn't say that you are losing your last Saturday. For Games Day, you'll be forced into a variety of activities including the tug-of-war and pass-the-lightest-girl-over-your-head. Like Nflow said, you'll also find out what academic society you're in, an important bit of information for the Miami crowd because you'll have to spend so much time around these people. The FAU students should try to meet their society members as they will have to travel to Jackson once a month to practice clinical skills with these people.

I don't think that there are required reading assignments for the entering class. As Ken mentioned, we had to read Arrosmith, which was nothing more than The Catcher in the Rye meets medicine. Most of my friends ended up reading the Spark's Notes as the book was unbearable beyond the first page. If you are looking for something to keep yourself entertained over the summer, read The House of God. It'll teach you everything you need to know about medicine.

deuist said:
Given that orientation starts on a Thursday, I wouldn't say that you are losing your last Saturday. For Games Day, you'll be forced into a variety of activities including the tug-of-war and pass-the-lightest-girl-over-your-head. Like Nflow said, you'll also find out what academic society you're in, an important bit of information for the Miami crowd because you'll have to spend so much time around these people. The FAU students should try to meet their society members as they will have to travel to Jackson once a month to practice clinical skills with these people.

I don't think that there are required reading assignments for the entering class. As Ken mentioned, we had to read Arrosmith, which was nothing more than The Catcher in the Rye meets medicine. Most of my friends ended up reading the Spark's Notes as the book was unbearable beyond the first page. If you are looking for something to keep yourself entertained over the summer, read The House of God. It'll teach you everything you need to know about medicine.
I think The House of God has to be one of the worst books I have ever read. I can't believe I finished it, but basically I kept going in the hopes that it would get better eventually...unfortunately, it never does. Whoever said its author did for medicine what Joseph Heller did for the military in Catch-22 should be prosecuted for libel. :thumbdown: I did like one character in the book, which is Chuck. He rocks. I absolutely hated all of the rest of them, especially the main character and the fat man. :barf:

I thought Complications was some self serving tripe as well, although I think Gawande is a smart man otherwise. How many times did he mention how tall he was? We get it. And also, 6'1" isn't tall.

QofQuimica said:
I think The House of God has to be one of the worst books I have ever read. I can't believe I finished it, but basically I kept going in the hopes that it would get better eventually...unfortunately, it never does. Whoever said its author did for medicine what Joseph Heller did for the military in Catch-22 should be prosecuted for libel. :thumbdown: I did like one character in the book, which is Chuck. He rocks. I absolutely hated all of the rest of them, especially the main character and the fat man. :barf:

Agreed! I haaaaaaaaaaated The House of God, but never wanted to say anything b/c everyone seems to love this book. It was very bleak and made me feel frightened about becoming a doctor.

never read these books, but I'd have to agree that 6'1 isn't tall at all....if I read that and that was mentioned repeatedly, I'd probably get a little pissed.

I'm actually looking forward to Games day....I love meeting people and I think it will be fun to get to know everyone. BTW, I think EVERY med school has some sort of bonding day...that was my impression at interviews at least.

I still haven't decided on a campus yet...but if I do attend Boca, what do you think about living in West Palm? My realtor found a great place that she "claims" is only 20 min from 777 glades rd. I thought west palm was much further. How's the traffic? What are your thoughts on the surrounding areas? Deerfield? Boynton? Delray? Lauderhills? W. Palm?

Runner, IF I were attending the Boca campus, I would probably live in West Palm, it is a great city (IMO). I visited for a wedding that was in W. Palm and the reception was in Boca, it was not a far drive at all-but I guess it depends on the location of the house in comparison to the city.

Edit: you need to change you "I'm going to be an MD, Somewhere c/o 2010"....haha....

Love it Runner. What the heck is "soul patrol?"

BTW Runner, my fiance is home, I'm LOVING it, but he is also sick...so he slept 5 hours yesterday during the day and went to bed at 7pm tonight!!....I hope he feels better soon and I also hope I don't catch what he has before the wedding!!....7 more days!

McMD said:
Love it Runner. What the heck is "soul patrol?"

BTW Runner, my fiance is home, I'm LOVING it, but he is also sick...so he slept 5 hours yesterday during the day and went to bed at 7pm tonight!!....I hope he feels better soon and I also hope I don't catch what he has before the wedding!!....7 more days!

1) Soul Patrol - fans of Taylor Hicks from American Idol

Don't ask me why, but almost every season, I start acting like a 14 y/o and develop a "crush" on a guy from this stupid stupid show. Its so embarassing. But eh, that's me I suppose...

2) Sorry to hear your fiance is sick. I'm sooo excited for you. I actually tried to insert one of those real time countdowns (like on MySpace) on the FL thread, but I guess the SDN forums don't support it b/c it looked all funky (e.g. <imbed blah blah blah http://blah blah blah>

3.) Awesome avatar!

Runner, you really can't go wrong with any of those areas. Its mostly comfortable middle-class to upper-class living. Way better than some places out here in Miami.

Dunno about traffic really, but you don't want anything that will require you to take any highway to school. Reason being that highways in south florida are typically jammed at rush hour and you'll just increase frustration, etc.

Why not get a place in Boca itself? I know people who go there and they were saying with a roommate, the rent is fairly do-able.

West Palm Beach is not 20 minutes away from Boca unless you plan on driving at night. We have a classmate who has to drive 40 minutes to an hour to get through all of the traffic to get to campus. Sure, you may save a few dollars in rent, but you'll pay a lot for gas---meaning that the cost will not be too different. There are tons of places to live in Boca that aren't too expensive.

YUP. I'm a Senior here at FAU, wait-listed at UM@FAU for this incoming (C/O 2010) year.

I live near the Southern boundary of West Palm, almost by Lake Worth. I live a mile east of I-95, and I have to get up about 1.5 hours before class - 30 mins to get ready, and an hour to be safe driving. With usual congestion, it becomes a 40 min drive. Insane traffic, 1 hr plus. Driving home at night - 22.5 mins on a total drive of 26 miles. (extra-legal speeds, cough-cough).

So - to whomever asked, and to whom Deuist responded, West Palm is a great town, keeps getting ritzier by the minute in fact, but overall, if I ended up at UM@FAU, I would get a small apt just off campus, or a student apt - just somewhere to crash on weekdays and keep food and fresh sets of clothes and a shower, etc.

Otherwise, commuting back and forth is a CHORE. :thumbdown: And when you come home tired from studying, and the lull of the drive hits you when you step out of the car, the last thing you feel like doing is cramming, which is why I stay on campus til I'm beat, then go home.

So - if you do end up at the Boca campus - its not for everyone - I've spoken to enough med-students there, and know enough of them personally to say that living far away is a pain. The ones who live close by seem to just have it a little less stressful.

If you visit the sites listed by the current med students at www.ummsm.com - the real estate is NOT cheap. But, I know for a fact there are more reasonable alternatives. You don't have to live in Mizner Park in a 1200/mo efficiency just to live above Banana Republic or Starbucks. :laugh:

deuist said:
West Palm Beach is not 20 minutes away from Boca unless you plan on driving at night. We have a classmate who has to drive 40 minutes to an hour to get through all of the traffic to get to campus. Sure, you may save a few dollars in rent, but you'll pay a lot for gas---meaning that the cost will not be too different. There are tons of places to live in Boca that aren't too expensive.

Runner-I'm not a fan of Taylor...sorry. I'm hoping for Katherine to win. My ex-boyfriend called me to tell me that I look like her-I KINDA see the resemblence...but not very much. Anyways, I like her personality-she's a cute person. When my ex called me to get me to see what she looks like-that was when I actually started watching American Idol.

Actually, my fiance broke his fever last night-so he should start feeling better. We have just a few more wedding details to take care of this weekend and then the family starts coming into town! I'll put a generic countdown on my signature...I was GOING to change it last night, but I figureed no-one cared how long I had. haha.

Yay! I'm back @ the Miami campus!

My roommate found a condo owner that was looking for someone to take over the place. It's in a great location---right off of Palmetto and near Mizner Park. I only need 8 minutes to get from my front door the the classroom every morning. There are cheap places to live in Boca, you just need to search for a while. Also, if you avoid stand-alone apartment complexes, you'll find cheaper housing. Individual owners don't need to charge as much as corporations.

hey y'all, i gotta choose between miami-boca campus or UF, and i was hoping you could provide me some suggestions/opinions/advice about what you'd do and why? right now, i'm thinkin UF even though the location of miami and boca and experience would be much better IMHO but the price thing is kinda bothering me and, even though it's not definitive, UF's matchlist and step 1 score history seems a little better...plus, UF has the Brain Institute and right now i'm planning on pursuing neurorads and will conduct research...so does UF seem a better choice to you?

thanks!

JabsterL said:
hey y'all, i gotta choose between miami-boca campus or UF, and i was hoping you could provide me some suggestions/opinions/advice about what you'd do and why? right now, i'm thinkin UF even though the location of miami and boca and experience would be much better IMHO but the price thing is kinda bothering me and, even though it's not definitive, UF's matchlist and step 1 score history seems a little better...plus, UF has the Brain Institute and right now i'm planning on pursuing neurorads and will conduct research...so does UF seem a better choice to you?

thanks!

Go ahead and read my post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=282988
Since I just wrote it the other day…

The only thing I will add about the UF College of Medicine is that faculty and students there are not as friendly as they are at Miami. I know, I used to do research at the brain institute.

Regarding Cost – Obviously UF is cheaper – tuition at UM is around 30k per year and since Miami is an expensive place to live add 20k for living expenses. However, you are going to be a doctor and many people before you have been faced with medical school debt. If it was impossible to pay back – physicians would be poor. Med loans are the best type of loans to have. Sure it is scary to think that I prob spent more this year than all 4 years in undergrad – but many of my classmates are in the same situation (and some of them even went to private undergrad institutions).

I understand your affinity to UF based on board scores and match lists. I will say this, UF has a SLIGHTLY higher board score average because it accepts students with higher MCAT scores than Miami – therefore has students which do better on standardized tests. Their match list is slightly better because their students have higher board scores, which are important for residency selection. I really don’t think there is much difference in their medical education. Also, I think if you had the same score from UF or Miami it wouldn’t make a difference.

Regarding radiology – I actually spent a few years working at the brain institute on a neuroradiology project. I really think that the schools are tied when it comes to neuroscience, however UM seems to be superior in radiology. For starters UM has the Miami Project which is equivalent to the brain institute. The department of radiology is larger at UM and we have more neuroradiologists. I haven’t really spent much time in the department so I can’t give too many details. But I must add that the chair of the department of radiology (Dr. Quencer) at UM was the editor-in-chief of the American Journal or Neuroradiology. The ONLY radiology thing that UF has better than UM is a better ANIMAL research MRI program. UF has like 3 or 4 MRI scanners in the brain institute for animals while Miami has 1. I know because I have worked in both institutions and my friend who worked at UF is now running the one here in Miami.

ALSO – Miami had at least 12 students match in radiology this year (Not sure about UF)

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Did you get into the University of Iowa? Why did you rule that school out?-I would say between Miami and UF, I'd go with Miami. Your clinical experiences at UM would be unparalled to those at UF. Also, the faculty is amazing at UM, while you won't get the friendly, welcoming atmosphere at UF. But....between UM and UI, I would definitely choose UofI.

I posted the 2006 match lists for UF, UM, USF, and FSU on another thread a few days ago and will reproduce it here. You are welcome to interpret the data however you see fit. I disagree with Ken's statement that UF has better match results. As you can see, the numbers are essentially the same. Also, I'm current a student at UM@Boca. I encourage you to come by and see the campus for yourself, if you haven't already done so.

............................UM..UF..USF..FSU
Anesthesia.............12.....9.....6.....1
Dermatology...........1......3.....1......0
Emergency Med.......6......6.....6.....0
Family Medicine.......7......6.....9......8
General Surgery.......9......5.....5.....5
Internal Medicine.....35....19....17....4
Med-Peds...............2......0.....2.....0
Neurology...............7......0.....1.....0
Neuro Surgery.........1......2.....1.....0
nuclear.med............1......0.....0.....0
ob/gyn...................9.....10....3.....5
Ophthalmology........2......5.....1.....0
Oral Surgery...........0......2.....0.....0
Orthopaedics..........4......4.....2.....1
Otolaryngology........2......3.....1.....2
Pathology...............2......2.....4.....0
Pediatrics...............13....11...10....2
Plastic Surg............0......0.....1.....1
Physical Med...........1.....1.....1......0
Psychiatry..............8.....10...10.....0
Radiation Oncology...1.....2.....1......0
Radiology...............15....9......6.....2
Urology..................0.....0......2.....0

Sources: UM, UF, USF, FSU

deuist said:
I posted the 2006 match lists for UF, UM, USF, and FSU on another thread a few days ago and will reproduce it here. You are welcome to interpret the data however you see fit. I disagree with Ken's statement that UF has better match results. As you can see, the numbers are essentially the same. Also, I'm current a student at UM@Boca. I encourage you to come by and see the campus for yourself, if you haven't already done so.
Two comments:

1) U Miami-FAU is easily the ritziest medical school campus anywhere. Way awesome. Check out the nerdery when you go.

2) deuist, it's way impressive how you got those columns lined up so perfectly. :thumbup:

hey does anyone know how you can claim instate tuition for years 2 through 4 if your OOS? if you buy a condo and live there for over a year, can you start paying instate tuition your second year?

jon0013 said:
hey does anyone know how you can claim instate tuition for years 2 through 4 if your OOS? if you buy a condo and live there for over a year, can you start paying instate tuition your second year?

I was wondering the same thing.

Anyone have any info about wait-list movement of late? (esp for Boca campus)?

Thanks,

- Algo.

I was recently accepted off the waitlist to UM at FAU !!! :D

Miami is definitely my first choice and I am planning on attending in the fall--but I also want to know what each campus is like for a medical student.
I went to the UMMSM@FAU open house, and met a bunch of students, who really sold me. Of course the facilities are amazing, with everything being about 5-6 years old I think. I don't know too much about the Miami campus-- I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of each campus :idea:

I was also an FAU undergrad, so I am very familiar with the Biomedical building--but I know UM medical is a whole different ballgame. So I'm curious as how it all works for the medical students there. Thanks for any input :thumbup: