University of Miami class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4EverTrue

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to UMiami in the fall? If so, anyone receive any information on the school year yet?

Members don't see this ad.

4EverTrue said:
Anyone going to UMiami in the fall? If so, anyone receive any information on the school year yet?

I'm fairly certain I'll be at UM, but haven't received anything regarding classes etc. yet. Are you at the Jackson campus?

Nice to meet you all. I am probably going to U of M too, but waiting to hear on scholarships until final decision. Have heard nothing since invite. Anyone apply for a scholarship? Heard anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been accepted to Miami as well (Boca campus). I haven't heard anything with regards to orientation or enrollment requirements (e.g., immunizations). I'm about to apply for a scholarship; I'll let you know what happens.

I got a letter via snail mail regarding a scholarship (20k/yearly) dated 1/12/05. I applied for it very early though...my guess is back in november or december...And I was also accepted very early, 10/15/04...because I interviewed on the first day, I think...Hope the info helps, not sure how things work with scholarships regarding timing for them.

I will be at the Jackson campus. I have met a lot of the medical students already and am impressed by their clinical knowledge and skills! Since I'm already here in Miami (having moved from Boston), I have had the chance to meet a few attendings and residents, and from what I've seen, Miami allows for great teamwork and DEFINITE involvement--even as first years. I am excited to be at such a diverse place with tons of opportunities--clinically, culturally, and research-wise. By the time we finish here, I bet you we will all be fluent in Spanish! or at least getting there!! Congrats everyone, no matter when you heard--or where you're from--or even what you're stats or extracurriculars are/were, we've all worked so hard to get to this point, so we all deserve pats on the back and high fives! Now, we're in the same boat...and should be ready for teamwork! This is going to be undoubtedly one of the toughest years of our lives, but as long as we support one another, we can all survive! Congrats people.

4EverTrue

http://www.mededu.miami.edu/Admissions

I don't remember how I came across it, but has some information on where to live, reading assignments for last year's class b4 they started school and a biochem refresher thing. Nothing you can really use now, but get's me excited just surfing through it.

Hello everyone, I will be going to Miami this fall (Jackson Campus) and I haven’t heard anything yet either. I don’t know why but I have been dawdling on my scholarship application – so I plan on submitting that tonight. I called the admissions office the other day to check on when classes would be starting. They said the first week of August but they don’t know the exact date yet.

- Ken

I'll be one of the Boca people also. :D

dradams said:
I'll be one of the Boca people also. :D

Count me in as one of the mdphd dorks at Jackson!

Best of luck...and congrats!

I am giving U of Miami strong consideration, I was accepted back on 11/1/04, just received scholarship information (15,000/year) about 2 weeks ago so that definitely helps in the decision. I am from NY so the decision comes down to whether or not I want to move away. In betwen Miami and NYU right now.

Equinunk7 said:
I am giving U of Miami strong consideration, I was accepted back on 11/1/04, just received scholarship information (15,000/year) about 2 weeks ago so that definitely helps in the decision. I am from NY so the decision comes down to whether or not I want to move away. In betwen Miami and NYU right now.

yo equinunk...

congrats on the scholarship :thumbup:

btw, did you automatically qualify for in-state tuition since you received a scholarship (i'm guessing you're from out-of-state)

i think i read somewhere that out-of-state tuition is waived for folks like you; maybe i'm confused w/ another school... hmmmm :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey Dr Adams and oldmacdonald...congrats! Did you guys find out today? I interviewed at Miami in Late Jan and was wondering if you guys already found out (assuming u were in that interview group/bulk that just got reviewed by the committee). Thanks!

congrats all again. equinunk, i say go for miami. nyu and miami are prob both equivalent...but miami is in the sunny state of FL where it's summer all yr round! both diverse, gd crraaazy cities, both phenomenal experiences. good luck w/ your decision. :luck:

Hi everybody! Looking forward to meeting most of you in August at the Jackson campus (those of you who I didn't meet during interviews). I think those of you who choose Miami will be glad you did - apart from the whole med school package, we have 78-degree weather in February! (I spent today studying at the beach :cool: ). For those of you who have decided on Miami, welcome, and to those who are still on the fence or waiting to hear back, good luck!

I received my acceptance the first week of Feb. Dr. Hinkley informed us during our interview on the 14th of Jan. that there would be decision meetings on Feb. 2 and 16th, so January should be finished at this point. Best of luck to you all and congrats!

I interviewed in Dec. and received my acceptance on Jan. 5.

I have decided to join the UMMSM class of 2009 (Miami campus) :D . I look forward to meeting all of you and we will have some good times ;) .

jcoola said:
I have decided to join the UMMSM class of 2009 (Miami campus) :D . I look forward to meeting all of you and we will have some good times ;) .

Welcome. I love being in Miami. Even now (Friday,3:37 a.m. studying!) Good luck to all those who are still waiting, if you have any questions fell free to ask. There are a couple of us on this site, who should be able to help.

UMMSM C/O 2008

I have a question Nflow. I will be attending the Boca campus this August and I am an older married student with one child. Can you tell me anything about the healthcare offered through the school? My wife may only be working part-time when we move down there and what to do about health insurance is one of our big issues.

Thanks.

dradams said:
I have a question Nflow. I will be attending the Boca campus this August and I am an older married student with one child. Can you tell me anything about the healthcare offered through the school? My wife may only be working part-time when we move down there and what to do about health insurance is one of our big issues.

Thanks.

Hi,

The school has an agreement with MegaLife insurance. It is pretty affordable, here is the brochure site for UMMSM: http://www.studentresources.com/college/ViewBrochures.aspx

also this UM admissions site has info on parking, health, insurance etc:
http://www.mededu.miami.edu/Admissions

Boca Mirror site:
http://bioserv.biomed.fau.edu/admissions/

goodluck

Thanks, Nflow. That helps. I got on the MegaLife website to find the costs and it is a bit expensive for family coverage though.

Dr. Hinkley emailed today about an open house at the Boca campus. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Anyone receive any information yet on school yr and/or financial stuff? I have my FAFSA done...does anyone know if there's anything else we need to do, like for lenders? Just trying to get everything ready... and excited for the beginning.

Last thing,
NFlow or any current med students, how's orientation like? opportunities to bond?

thanks enough from me :)

I haven't received anything yet either. I need to check my email at home to see about the open house at FAU.

Yep, got the email about the open house on the Boca campus. See you there.

A question for anyone going to the open house. What would be proper attire for something like this (I'm male)? :confused:

Thanks.

dradams said:
A question for anyone going to the open house. What would be proper attire for something like this (I'm male)? :confused:

Thanks.

Personally, I would do khakis or slacks with tucked in collar'd shirt (and belt) at most. But I would probably do jeans too, you're in my man, it's over. Depends on what type of person you are.

FYI, got scholarship a few days ago (only 5K/yr). Accepted in mid November. Filled out scholarship app in mid December.

Good point Flash. Thanks.

Hey, 5K is still 5K. I'm probably going to get nada.

4EverTrue said:
does anyone know if there's anything else we need to do, like for lenders? Just trying to get everything ready... and excited for the beginning.

Last thing,
NFlow or any current med students, how's orientation like? opportunities to bond?

The financial aid office will mail you a packet in the next couple of months with the forms you need to fill out. Thats when you pick the lender. I chose the University of Miami as my lender because there are no origination/processing fees with them, all the loan money goes to your tuition bill and then to you. Some may want to choose the same lender they had in undergrad though to keep it continuous, I didnt really care since I'm going to consolidate the educational loans after I finish med school anyways.

Orientation is definitely awesome, PLENTY of time to bond. Last year it was 3 days, Thursday - Saturday. Thursday and Friday you're in school and you meet all the deans, important ppl, upperclassmen, take ID photos, etc... Then Saturday is games day! You go to the undergrad campus and your whole class is involved in activities like tug of war and stuff versus the upperclassmen. That day you also find out what academic society you've been assigned to which is a pretty big deal. Sometime that weekend there is also a deans dinner on Key Biscayne where you mingle with all your new classmates, deans and faculty. Its a lot of stuff to do in 3 days but its awesome! Welcome to Miami! :cool:

4EverTrue said:
Dr. Hinkley emailed today about an open house at the Boca campus. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Anyone receive any information yet on school yr and/or financial stuff? I have my FAFSA done...does anyone know if there's anything else we need to do, like for lenders? Just trying to get everything ready... and excited for the beginning.

Last thing,

Alex beat me to the post, he pretty much had everthing right :)

i liked miami a lot, but i am nervous about the clinical years there primarily because of the language barrier i've heard others talk about. all i've had is a couple years of high school spanish. how do all of you non spanish speakers deal with this? i know it is a positive thing for a lot of people because it gives you a chance to learn a new language, however, i would like to know if there are others like me who felt or feel intimidated by this? also, im from north florida, and everything about the south beach night life seems so trendy compared to up here. i prefer the regular hole in the wall bars where i can drink a bud light over the expensive clubs that you have to wait in line for a week to get into. please tell me there's a watering hole there that i can call my own. i guess everything about miami seems so foreign to me. hopefully some of you can alleviate my fears. i really loved the school and the hospital, so i might see some of yall this fall.

CAPT

Don't know anything for a fact, but I'm a local bar guy too most of the time. Miami is big enough of a city to have many types of "scenes" I would think. I found just regular bars when I interviewed and spent the weekend. It's not all clubs like you see on TV.

Wish I could join and meet those attending the open house at the Boca Campus, but I'll be attending UF's Dance Marathon that weekend. I'm going to attempt a visit to that campus some other weekend though. If anyone would like to check it out with me, just private message me.

JC

jcoola said:
Wish I could join and meet those attending the open house at the Boca Campus, but I'll be attending UF's Dance Marathon that weekend. I'm going to attempt a visit to that campus some other weekend though. If anyone would like to check it out with me, just private message me.

JC

bump

Congrats to all you future Miami students...and to the ones who chose to go to Boca...we'll be eager to give you guys a proper welcome next August up here. :)

And yes, the FAU Open House is April 2nd for those who have been accepted. I'll be there. If anyone has any specific questions concerning the FAU program, feel free to PM me.

Best of luck to all.

Hey guys what's up. I am actually really really wanting to go to Miami Medical School and would really appreciate any help. I am an out-of stater, but have a very decent GPA...i think! I am planning on taking the mcat this april..but don't know if my best work will be showcased since I haven't had much time to study. Any tips that could help would be apreciated. I want to go visit...but I dont think they give visits?? When should i apply by? Are they rolling? Does it hurt a lot to apply later...or does early app help a lot?

I have taken all the pre-req classes...what other classes should I take? I am not a science major.

ps. Congrats to everyones acceptances!

Thanks!

I'll try to answer a few questions about the application end on things...(I'm gonna start in the fall.)

Sidenote: For all those starting in the fall as well, I called the financial office, and they told me we are to be receiving information on lenders in a few weeks...and that we wouldn't be getting our financial package until June or July--when the seniors are gone. Hmm...just wanted to throw that out there.

So on to the application process...

I turned in my AMCAS the first day it we were able to do so... The AMCAS application becomes available in May--I forget when--I'm thinking early May. You can save it on the site, and keep on returning to it. It's one of the most complex things I have ever filled out! Plus, you'll have to request transcripts like crazy. But once over, you're all set...after AMCAS verifies everything--and states "you are complete." Then when you think the hard stuff is over, you'll start receiving secondaries from the medical schools. Miami's came, for me, I think in July. Then I was interviewed in October and found out then. It's rolling admission, so once interviewed, you'll find out in a week or two.

I say, get everything done as fast as you can. This med school application process is a game of chess. It's totally different from the undergrad application process. What we all dream for, is a seat in the new class--and the earlier you turn in your application, the better your chances of getting an "in"--b/c seats aren't filled yet.

As for other classes, I would take any interesting science courses maybe...or medical ethics... Hope that helps.

Sidenote: For all those starting in the fall as well, I called the financial office, and they told me we are to be receiving information on lenders in a few weeks...and that we wouldn't be getting our financial package until June or July--when the seniors are gone.

*sigh*

hey - do any of you guys remember how many people they took off the waitlist last year? i THINK dr hinkley mentioned a number during my interview orientation, just casually in conversation...but i was either in a daze...or my ears were taking a time-out because i think i heard 100 people...but again, that sounds like a grossly incorrect number...just wondering if he mentioned how many at your guys' interview orientation...thanks!

for some reason, I remember something like 350-400 people were accepted for the class last year (obviously, many declined eventually). I don't know if they give out more acceptances than spots (probably) and, if so, by how many.

yeah thats pretty ridiculou about not getting the finaid package till june or july--what are they trying to hide from us? how are we supposed to make decisions w/o it? i mean i already know about the academic scholarship but that still leaves over a hell of a lot in loans i need to see about! wtf?

Hey future docs! How excited am I that there is a thread for incoming miami students! :)D <----that's how excited) I just graduated from the University of Florida (once a gator, always a gator :p ), and I'll be at the Boca campus next year. Anyway, I'd love to chat with you guys if you're up to it. Feel free to email me at [email protected] or on aim at laurley83. I hope you all have a great summer, and I can't wait to meet everyone in August!

Lauren :oops:)

Laurley83 said:
Hey future docs! How excited am I that there is a thread for incoming miami students! :)D <----that's how excited) I just graduated from the University of Florida (once a gator, always a gator :p ), and I'll be at the Boca campus next year. Anyway, I'd love to chat with you guys if you're up to it. Feel free to email me at [email protected] or on aim at laurley83. I hope you all have a great summer, and I can't wait to meet everyone in August!

Lauren :oops:)

oh no...

not a gator

just kiddin ;)

i'm lookin forward to meetin everyone as well this Fall :thumbup:

Haha. Don't fret too much, I just received my first UM t-shirt today....however, I'm still gathering up the nerve to put it on. I'll keep you posted on my progress. jk. ;)

bh88 said:
hey - do any of you guys remember how many people they took off the waitlist last year? i THINK dr hinkley mentioned a number during my interview orientation, just casually in conversation...but i was either in a daze...or my ears were taking a time-out because i think i heard 100 people...but again, that sounds like a grossly incorrect number...just wondering if he mentioned how many at your guys' interview orientation...thanks!

I don't know how many people get taken off of the waitlist. I do, however, remember seeing that nearly 3/4 of all interviewees get accepted. Good luck to you.

Laurley83 said:
Haha. Don't fret too much, I just received my first UM t-shirt today....however, I'm still gathering up the nerve to put it on. I'll keep you posted on my progress. jk.

When you go to games, feel free to wear the Miami T-shirt. The trick is to wear a Gator shirt underneath. That way, you can say that you're always wearing your true colors.

By the way, I'm keeping my Gator license plate on my car.