University of Maryland School of Pharmacy 2011 Regular Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Like I said before I am 7th on wait list. While I would have liked to get in outright, it helps me no to waste $ on deposits while I wait for Pitt to get back to me. Both schools are tied for first in my heart, but I went to Pitt undergrad so that may sway me.

My stats in case anyone is wondering since I got some PMs about it.
89 PCAT. 3.95 GPA with a B.S. in neuroscience from Pitt. Full time pharmacy retail tech for a year. Good references, family history of pharmacy, and felt I had a good connection with the faculty/students at the interview(on feb 10th).

Just took a look at UMB's website and realized that there is a welcome day in June! I didn't know they would hold welcome sessions that early. I will unfortunately be out of the country that day, and although it doesn't say that it's mandatory (unlike the orientation days), will I miss a lot of information that I can't find elsewhere?

On that note, does anyone know what UMB will go over on welcome day?

Welcome day is not mandatory. If you are around and can come, I would highly suggest you going. This is when a lot of people meet and look for potential roommates. The materials they go over during welcome day will be given in more details during orientation, so don't fret if it is inconvenient for you to attend.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Like I said before I am 7th on wait list. While I would have liked to get in outright, it helps me no to waste $ on deposits while I wait for Pitt to get back to me. Both schools are tied for first in my heart, but I went to Pitt undergrad so that may sway me.

My stats in case anyone is wondering since I got some PMs about it.
89 PCAT. 3.95 GPA with a B.S. in neuroscience from Pitt. Full time pharmacy retail tech for a year. Good references, family history of pharmacy, and felt I had a good connection with the faculty/students at the interview(on feb 10th).

wow I can't believe they put you on the waitlist.. your GPA and PCAT higher than mine....

i am a little confused when the Shady Grove people need to go to the Shady Grove campus. is it unrealistic to think i can live in Baltimore?
Just to elaborate onto what Luckyphooey said... I'm a first year at SG and I'd say I'm on campus on average 2-3 times a week. There are Baltimore students that live near SG that come to our synchronous lectures and workshops. Personally, I love SG. But, it really all depends on your personal preferences and lifestyle. In the end, you are watching the same lectures, doing the same assignments, and taking the same exams.

When I called Patrice and asked about how many people on the waitlist actually have gotten admitted in the past, and she said one year they went all the way through the waitlist (so everybody on the waitlist got admitted) and another year they never went through it (nobody got admitted). I also got the mail that said one time, someone on the waitlist got off the waitlist on the first day of school (yikes!). So, I guess all we can do is pray and hope for the best since the chances are so unpredictable.

thank you there!

Yes i got an official email from UMB yesterday that I am on their waitlist (it didn't say what number). but you are right. All i can do is wait :). Plus, i do have a place to fall back on it nothing work out in the end.

thank you there!

Yes i got an official email from UMB yesterday that I am on their waitlist (it didn't say what number). but you are right. All i can do is wait :). Plus, i do have a place to fall back on it nothing work out in the end.

good luck greenteacup! i'm crossing my fingers for you:xf:

Just to elaborate onto what Luckyphooey said... I'm a first year at SG and I'd say I'm on campus on average 2-3 times a week. There are Baltimore students that live near SG that come to our synchronous lectures and workshops. Personally, I love SG. But, it really all depends on your personal preferences and lifestyle. In the end, you are watching the same lectures, doing the same assignments, and taking the same exams.

How far isSG away from DC? Do u go to DC very often?

Sorry this is sort of out of topic, but I need some advice. I'm #61 on the waitlist (found it out before waitlist emails were sent so I don't know my position right now), and the uncertainty about what's gonna happen is driving me crazy! Since my spring break started, I think I should start looking for jobs and plan what to do during this summer, but I don't know what to do. I'm a sophomore at UMCP (it's near DC), so if I knew that I couldn't get in, I would either re-apply for early decision (which means that I will have to take PCAT again in June), take a summer course or two, or I could try to get a job at CVS near campus (because if I don't get in, I'll be living on campus next semester). If I knew I could get in, I would try to get a job somewhere between my home and Baltimore since I will be commuting.

I have a pharm tech certificate but it really doesn't help because people want to hire someone who can work every day. (Last year, I was offered a position at Giant Pharmacy but couldn't do it because I could only work during weekends). I need to know which school I'll be going next year to figure all this out.

Most of you guys are older than I and have more experience. What do you think I should do, especially looking at my position on the waitlist?????? :scared:

Last edited:
Lucky,

Can you comment on the current jobs situation in Maryland? Or at least around the area you live? How hard is it to obtain an intern position while in school? Do most people manage to land pharmacy positions post graduation?

Thanks!

Sorry this is sort of out of topic, but I need some advice. I'm #61 on the waitlist (found it out before waitlist emails were sent so I don't know my position right now), and the uncertainty about what's gonna happen is driving me crazy! Since my spring break started, I think I should start looking for jobs and plan what to do during this summer, but I don't know what to do. I'm a sophomore at UMCP (it's near DC), so if I knew that I couldn't get in, I would either re-apply for early decision (which means that I will have to take PCAT again in June), take a summer course or two, or I could try to get a job at CVS near campus (because if I don't get in, I'll be living on campus next semester). If I knew I could get in, I would try to get a job somewhere between my home and Baltimore since I will be commuting.

I have a pharm tech certificate but it really doesn't help because people want to hire someone who can work every day. (Last year, I was offered a position at Giant Pharmacy but couldn't do it because I could only work during weekends). I need to know which school I'll be going next year to figure all this out.

Most of you guys are older than I and have more experience. What do you think I should do, especially looking at my position on the waitlist?????? :scared:

I hope you get in because you (a young sophomore) can be a great example to many people of how an all around resume gets you into pharm school

Members don't see this ad :)

For 1, Im curious if u applied elsewhere or if MD was like your 1 and only, in which case it wld mean 1 of two things; either you where not so pressed to getting in this year /dint think u could get in, or maybe for some reasons, u cant go far and have to stick wit MD. If u weren't so pressed on getting in, then by all means u can now start getting ready for next year, visa vis retaking the pcat and getting some experience. Bt the experience thing, it is true that they would want some1 with more availability, but then again I knw retail loves to cut cost by getting mostly part timers so you just have to look harder. The CVS on route 1 wld certainly be jam packed so u cld always try rite aid, they are cheap but they may also have like those tiny spots open were u come in on certain days only 4 a cple of hours. remember at this point that u priority is eperience, chances r low they gonna ask u how many hours u worked at a pharm. so long as u did even 5 hours weekly and there4 have a pharm mananger who can recommendu, will have somthing to go with on the experience part. would it be more beneficial to u to have a a more fullfilling leraning experience, absolutely yes.
however, if u applied elsewhere, got in and dont mind settling 4 ur 2nd choice, then I'll say dat your biggest dillema right now is whether to wait for the list, start geting ready 4 nxt year, or move on to another school. Ur waitlist position is not the best but hell the chances are very nice. I say call patrice, see how far uve moved up, then WAIT for atleast next friday (the deadline for paying the deposit for the last round of email acceptances that were shot out), then call again and see how far uve moved up. If this is like one of thse years, I bet ull be in by then, if not pretty pretty close. At that point, I think u'll b able to make a more informed decision on the most appropriate course of action
GOODLUCK

Has anyone started applying for housing and stuff? I feel like I should, but I haven't gotten the acceptance packet in the mail yet...

I hope you get in because you (a young sophomore) can be a great example to many people of how an all around resume gets you into pharm school

For 1, Im curious if u applied elsewhere or if MD was like your 1 and only, in which case it wld mean 1 of two things; either you where not so pressed to getting in this year /dint think u could get in, or maybe for some reasons, u cant go far and have to stick wit MD. If u weren't so pressed on getting in, then by all means u can now start getting ready for next year, visa vis retaking the pcat and getting some experience. Bt the experience thing, it is true that they would want some1 with more availability, but then again I knw retail loves to cut cost by getting mostly part timers so you just have to look harder. The CVS on route 1 wld certainly be jam packed so u cld always try rite aid, they are cheap but they may also have like those tiny spots open were u come in on certain days only 4 a cple of hours. remember at this point that u priority is eperience, chances r low they gonna ask u how many hours u worked at a pharm. so long as u did even 5 hours weekly and there4 have a pharm mananger who can recommendu, will have somthing to go with on the experience part. would it be more beneficial to u to have a a more fullfilling leraning experience, absolutely yes.
however, if u applied elsewhere, got in and dont mind settling 4 ur 2nd choice, then I'll say dat your biggest dillema right now is whether to wait for the list, start geting ready 4 nxt year, or move on to another school. Ur waitlist position is not the best but hell the chances are very nice. I say call patrice, see how far uve moved up, then WAIT for atleast next friday (the deadline for paying the deposit for the last round of email acceptances that were shot out), then call again and see how far uve moved up. If this is like one of thse years, I bet ull be in by then, if not pretty pretty close. At that point, I think u'll b able to make a more informed decision on the most appropriate course of action
GOODLUCK

Thank you all for replying!

UMB is the only school I applied to. Aside from its reputation, I like how it has diverse dual degree programs and electives. UMB feels more personal and familiar, I guess, to me because I grew up in Maryland and I also personally know a lot of people who graduated from, are going to, or have applied to UMB. I applied only to UMB because it's my favorite one, and I WANT to go to UMB. If I had applied elsewhere and got in but not in UMB, I wouldn't be so happy even though I was accepted. And since I'm doing 2+4, if I didn't make it, I'd figured I would at least have a place to fall back.

I do have a year of pharmacy experience: volunteering at my university's health center pharmacy as a pharm tech. I do think experiences are very valuable, but I really need a paying job so that I can take some financial burden off my parents since they've been paying for everything for me.

It's a great idea that I should give them a call after next Friday. Thanks for suggesting!!

Has anyone started applying for housing and stuff? I feel like I should, but I haven't gotten the acceptance packet in the mail yet...

You can apply for housing and finaid now if you haven't already. I already applied for Fayette Square Raven and now waiting for my SAR and other documentation.

thank you there!

Good luck! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too :xf::D

I will be joining the UMB class of 2015 this fall!! I know this question as been asked probably multiple times, but I was still looking for a bit more... Do current pharmacy students suggest living in one of the on campus apartments first year or do you guys have any suggestions for surrounding areas. And as for roommates, does UMB send out a roommate application form, I saw one on Fayette website, but other than that is there any other forum for this

So anyone call to ask how much they moved up on the waitlist?

is anyone waiting for the official letter/packet in the mail?

I make the following recommendations to incoming students, especially out-of-state students:

Plan to come to June welcome day. You will be invited to the facebook group and can start talking amidst yourselves, but welcome day is a good opportunity to meet potential roommates. If you stay a few days extra, you can check out apartments and houses with your new roommates. Remember, if you're willing to sign a lease more or less "on the spot" (i.e. within a day or two) then you have a lot more leeway to negotiate your rent at the off campus apartments. I know individuals who shaved a good $200/month off their rent because they negotiated it based on comparable apartments. Backchannel me if this will likely apply to you.

The next pieces may or may not be entirely true, but I suggest looking into them because I have heard they may be true. I believe that once you have your lease, you can go to the Motor Vehicles Department and get your Maryland license. If you have your license and a document from the School of Pharmacy saying you'll be a pharmacy student, you can go to the Board of Pharmacy, pick up intern forms and get your fingerprints done near there as well so you can started on the process for getting your intern license.

Doing this other stuff could help put you on the fast track to in-state residency status!

Reactions: 1 user
is anyone waiting for the official letter/packet in the mail?

I am! But we were just accepted last week, so I don't think we'll get them until next week at the earliest. Some students accepted earlier than us didn't get their letter packet in the mail until a month later! :eek:

I am! But we were just accepted last week, so I don't think we'll get them until next week at the earliest. Some students accepted earlier than us didn't get their letter packet in the mail until a month later! :eek:

OK! Good. Last week when I called to confirm she said that she was in the process of preparing the letters so it was good if you called right away. That's all :)

So anyone call to ask how much they moved up on the waitlist?

I don't think there will be much movement on the waitlist until after this friday, when the people that got accepted last week has to put in their deposits/make their decisions. I feel like they take people off the waitlist in bulk (seems to make the most sense for me), instead of updating it every time someone declines admissions.

So for everyone on the waitlist, including myself, I say we all just chill and enjoy the rest of this week/weekend. Then start to get all antsy next week. :D

Oh, and congrats to all of those who have gotten in so far. :thumbup: Truly deserving.

I was accepted on feb 23rd, and have not yet received my acceptance package either. Patrice said we would get it this week, but it's already Wed., so who knows

I was accepted on feb 23rd, and have not yet received my acceptance package either. Patrice said we would get it this week, but it's already Wed., so who knows

Same situation here.

And yea last week she said she was going to mail them out Monday. Still waiting.

I don't think there will be much movement on the waitlist until after this friday, when the people that got accepted last week has to put in their deposits/make their decisions. I feel like they take people off the waitlist in bulk (seems to make the most sense for me), instead of updating it every time someone declines admissions.

So for everyone on the waitlist, including myself, I say we all just chill and enjoy the rest of this week/weekend. Then start to get all antsy next week. :D

Oh, and congrats to all of those who have gotten in so far. :thumbup: Truly deserving.

You're right! I talked to Patrice sometime last week, and she said that they will be emailing the people on the waitlist in bulk. And since this Friday is when everyone needs to make a deposit or decline their acceptance by, she told me to check back Monday to see if there's any movement on the waitlist. Sit tight and hope for the best! :xf:

I called patrice two weeks ago and asked about my waitlist position. you guys think if I called again tomorrow (monday) she would get irritated? or should I just wait it out?

also if they send waitlist acceptances in bulk...we would probably have to wait like weeks?

I called patrice two weeks ago and asked about my waitlist position. you guys think if I called again tomorrow (monday) she would get irritated? or should I just wait it out?

also if they send waitlist acceptances in bulk...we would probably have to wait like weeks?
Maybe, may be not! look at it this way; whats that worst that could happen?.... either way, eventhough fri was spose to b the last day, I think they giving an xtension to wed, coz I recieved a mail this morn sayin they dint get my deposit yet, and would offer my slot if I dont respond by wed30th

Just gave up my spot at shady grove and put myself on the waitlist for baltimore campus. patrice said I'm now the #1 on the waitlist! sooo excited!
Hopefully people will decline faster than two weeks...this wait is sooooo difficult!! :xf::xf:

I got in. What a relief...

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE EVERYONE!!!!!

Just gave up my spot at shady grove and put myself on the waitlist for baltimore campus. patrice said I'm now the #1 on the waitlist! sooo excited!
Hopefully people will decline faster than two weeks...this wait is sooooo difficult!! :xf::xf:
quick question, did u get a chance to choose campuses, chose shady grove, and now switching or were u jst assigned shady grove. if so, did u select it on ur application. this goes for anyone else did 'll choose, or was it chosen?

I just received an interview invite today for 4/7. I am very excited and almost surprised to have an interview but can't wait. Does anyone know if they have filled the class up yet? I notice a lot of you all are on the waitlist, does that mean i would be interviewing for a waitlist spot or are there still spots open in the class. Thanks and good luck to everyone!:xf:

I got in. What a relief...

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE EVERYONE!!!!!

Hello! Congrats on the acceptance! If you don't mind me asking, what number were you on the waitlist? I want to see how far the list went up today :\ I have a deposit for another school coming up so I'm debating whether or not to wait.

Last edited:
I just received an interview invite today for 4/7. I am very excited and almost surprised to have an interview but can't wait. Does anyone know if they have filled the class up yet? I notice a lot of you all are on the waitlist, does that mean i would be interviewing for a waitlist spot or are there still spots open in the class. Thanks and good luck to everyone!:xf:

Congrats on the interview invite! I thought the last interview date was in March! I think the classes are filled already, but I could be wrong. :\

Congrats on the interview invite! I thought the last interview date was in March! I think the classes are filled already, but I could be wrong. :\

The way I look at it is they wouldn't invite me to interview for no reason! I'm still surprised to have an interview, just plan on going and doing my best and hopefully stand out. I have nothing to lose really!

But on a different note, what does the group project consist of. This is the part of the interview that I'm not sure what to expect.

The way I look at it is they wouldn't invite me to interview for no reason! I'm still surprised to have an interview, just plan on going and doing my best and hopefully stand out. I have nothing to lose really!

But on a different note, what does the group project consist of. This is the part of the interview that I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm in the same situation. I have a really late inteview coming up, and I hope it isn't just for the waitlist. :\

But the group interview isn't anything to worry about! I had a lot of fun. They just want to see your teamwork skills and speech skills.

quick question, did u get a chance to choose campuses, chose shady grove, and now switching or were u jst assigned shady grove. if so, did u select it on ur application. this goes for anyone else did 'll choose, or was it chosen?

No i was on the waitlist...just to show how much the waitlist moves...I called two weeks ago (before their spring break) and found out I was within top 5 on the waitlist. Today I got an email acceptance to shady grove. I called patrice and said I'd like to move to the balitmore campus waitlist. when I applied, I applied to baltimore campus (first choice)...so it doesn't matter. whatever spot opens up, they offer the next person on the waitlist that position...if you aren't satisfied with it ask how the waitlist is for the other campus.

btw to some of the posts above... they have filled classes.Both campuses. But if you read on this topic maryland has before accepted over 200 applicants when they fill up to only 160 (or 163, someone else said). This means that around 40 people from the waitlist last year got in. People who are interviewing now might be interviewing for a competitive position on the waitlist.

Got accepted to Shady Grove today, which I thought I was 7th on the waiting list for Baltimore before so I am not sure whats going on. At any rate I am forfeiting my slot and trying for UMBC. I got into Pitt main today so I can afford to gamble.

*This is all speculation from me...I may be wrong*

Hello! Congrats on the acceptance! If you don't mind me asking, what number were you on the waitlist? I want to see how far the list went up today :\ I have a deposit for another school coming up so I'm debating whether or not to wait.

I was accepted into the Shady Grove campus previously and chose to get on the Baltimore waitlist. I didn't have a ranking...but I think there were eight of us. I'm assuming we all got in? The "Baltimore" waitlist is different from the general waitlist, so it is hard to say how much it went up. I would suggest calling Patrice if you really need to know your ranking. Seems like they are pulling people off the general waitlist and offering them the spots we opted out of. I think once they get their solid 40 for the Shady Grove campus, everyone else will be filling up the spots that are remaining in Baltimore.

They sent out the remaining of the 160 acceptances two weeks ago for the 160 spots available in the class. Like tojh1 said, I think they seem to be interviewing more people to find more competitive applicants to put on the waitlist. If this is a school you are really serious about attending, I would definitely suggest going!

Got accepted to Shady Grove today, which I thought I was 7th on the waiting list for Baltimore before so I am not sure whats going on. At any rate I am forfeiting my slot and trying for UMBC. I got into Pitt main today so I can afford to gamble.

UMBC? baltimore campus right? cuz there is a UMBC (univ. maryland baltimore county) just so we dont mix things up :laugh: If you were 7th, you were pretty close to me meaning you would be like top 5 for baltimore campus.

but a side note... congrats on pitt!

UMBC? baltimore campus right? cuz there is a UMBC (univ. maryland baltimore county) just so we dont mix things up :laugh: If you were 7th, you were pretty close to me meaning you would be like top 5 for baltimore campus.

but a side note... congrats on pitt!
Yea I meant Baltimore campus sorry.

In the group project that I did, they gave us a medical situation and told us to figure out a course of action. Then present briefly the solution that everyone came up with. Easy stuff. They are just looking for general interaction I'm sure. Just try not to be the person that doesn't say ANYTHING. I've had a couple of group interviews elsewhere and there was usually one person who hardly said a word. I would think to myself "Why don't you say anything?! Don't you know they are judging you???"

To the issue of continuing interviews...

Unfortunately, PharmCAS doesn't move quickly. I know they are STiLL sending info to schools. So if there are any remainder interviews, they are given to students who completed everything on time but due to no fault of their own, their application is reviewed late.

Let that be a lesson to future applicants- don't slack off! Get your things into PharmCAS immediately and by immediately I mean yesterday.

To the issue of continuing interviews...

Unfortunately, PharmCAS doesn't move quickly. I know they are STiLL sending info to schools. So if there are any remainder interviews, they are given to students who completed everything on time but due to no fault of their own, their application is reviewed late.

Let that be a lesson to future applicants- don't slack off! Get your things into PharmCAS immediately and by immediately I mean yesterday.

I spoke with the Dean of Student Affairs today about the late interviews people are getting (because I've received emails about this) and like 2012 said this is due to PharmCAS just releasing some of the applications. She wants you to rest assured that this an interview for admission and based on the interview, you will either be offered an acceptance or put on the waitlist or rejected. Again, these are not interviews for the waitlist spot. Good luck.

You get accepted into whatever campus is open. If both are open, you are accepted into both and you can choose. If one campus is full, you are only given acceptance into the one that is open. If you choose to forfeit your acceptance into that campus so as to get on the waiting list for the full campus, you can. From what I understand, you are moved to the top of that waiting list behind others who decided to switch also. So, it's a gamble the later in admissions it gets because you can't change your mind and decide to go back to the first campus - that spot is no longer yours. What you put on your application doesn't affect which campus you are accepted into, it's just so that they have an idea of what people's preferences are.

I spoke with the Dean of Student Affairs today about the late interviews people are getting (because I've received emails about this) and like 2012 said this is due to PharmCAS just releasing some of the applications. She wants you to rest assured that this an interview for admission and based on the interview, you will either be offered an acceptance or put on the waitlist or rejected. Again, these are not interviews for the waitlist spot. Good luck.

Hmmm... This poses a problem no? If UMB is already full and have a waitlist already, how can they offer acceptance for people who are interviewing late? I understand that those applicants need fair judgement, if it was PharmCas at fault for sending late information, but isn't it too much to give them acceptance when the waitlist is already filled past the 80s?

I'm not saying your wrong, nor do I expect a straight answer because this is obviously something only the adcom will know. But just wondering how you thought about that situation...