University of Maryland School of Pharmacy 2011 Regular Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to say welcome to you all. Recent grad here. Let me know if you guys have any questions about anything!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how stringent UMB is with the laptop requirements? I have Windows 7 Home edition instead of the required Professional or Ultimate editions, both which seem a little bit superfluous to me. I also do not have Microsoft Office 2010. Are all the professors going to be sending us documents that are not compatible with earlier versions (2007 should be compatible right)? I really don't want to be spending more than I have to lol.

Does anyone know how stringent UMB is with the laptop requirements? I have Windows 7 Home edition instead of the required Professional or Ultimate editions, both which seem a little bit superfluous to me. I also do not have Microsoft Office 2010. Are all the professors going to be sending us documents that are not compatible with earlier versions (2007 should be compatible right)? I really don't want to be spending more than I have to lol.

They are not stringent. You should be fine with 2007. If you would like help on note taking strategies let me know - I am happy to help.

I have gone through a computer every year with various specs. Macs are even okay. Just make sure you have windows and even that is not a requirement.
Netbooks are ok as well..but just make sure it is fast enough to let you watch the lectures online.

Members don't see this ad :)
Filipelli (or anyone else that might know),

I'm looking at the UMD Baltimore first year schedule that they have posted on the web. There is a symbol (a world icon) that says it specifies an online activity. These activities are listed as having a time on a certain day and say "no room recorded". Does that mean that we have to be present at school for that activity at the time listed?

For example: Aug 24 - 9 AM - 9:50 AM PHAR507 Professional ethics and pharmacy practice lectures Principles & theories of Ethics I (Available in mediasite.)

I'm trying to get a handle on how the schedule works and what the icons mean in general. I know they said it would be explained at orientation but I need to line up daycare arrangements for my kids more than a week before the start of classes.

Thanks,
Molly

Galaxydog,

I'm a 3rd year and we have never had to be on campus for the world symbol online activities. They schedule a time for you to do them but you can generally do them whenever/where ever you like. Sometimes they are prerecorded mediasite lectures and sometimes they are online activities in Blackboard, like Adobe Captivate presentations. Anything available in mediasite can be done whenever you like, but it's suggested you do it within 24 hours of the time in Celcat. In this case, since there is a world symbol, there is no live class at all and Baltimore students can watch from home, differing from a regular session delivered live in Baltimore and put on mediasite for SG, as denoted by the mediasite icon vs the world icon.

(There was one library training for PHAR 507 that we had to sign into an internet conference for at a certain time but it was denoted as such, and I signed in from home.)

You do have to be on campus for any videoconference symbols. I usually plan childcare around those, and exams of course. Most of our quizzes are also online in Blackboard and availability dates and due dates are usually denoted in Celcat. Any on campus quizzes are denoted with a room number and may or may not be accompanied by the videoteleconference icon, depending on the course.

Just wanted to say welcome to you all. Recent grad here. Let me know if you guys have any questions about anything!

Hi, I'm applying to this school for the fall 2012 class, could you provide some insight about the school itself, curriculum, and admissions statistics? Thanks.

Last edited: