University of Maryland 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question: Should I choose Direct Loans or FFEL Loans? It seems like Direct is the way to go, but I just want to make sure. I've tried calling the Office of Financial Aid about this several times, but the line is constantly busy. I'll keep trying, but was hoping to get some insight here as well. Thanks. :)

Direct Loans IMO. I think their interest rate on the Grad Plus loans is better...don't know about FFEL loans but I had Direct Loans through undergrad and haven't had any problems.

Try emailing Patricia.

Members don't see this ad.

I talked to the Laptop Resource Center and they told me about the computer they are leaning towards for the fall MS1's.

Lenovo Thinkpad T400
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
2 gig RAM - expandable to 8
160/250 gig internal HD (haven't decided size yet. last year was 160)
6-cell battery

There are a couple other cool options with this comp, but the LRC has not yet decided on the display or the graphics card. Also the 9 cell battery has a life of almost 10 hours, so it might be sweet to get that.

Maybe someone besides me is interested in this.

I talked to the Laptop Resource Center and they told me about the computer they are leaning towards for the fall MS1's.

Lenovo Thinkpad T400
Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
2 gig RAM - expandable to 8
160/250 gig internal HD (haven't decided size yet. last year was 160)
6-cell battery

There are a couple other cool options with this comp, but the LRC has not yet decided on the display or the graphics card. Also the 9 cell battery has a life of almost 10 hours, so it might be sweet to get that.

Maybe someone besides me is interested in this.

Time to intentionally sabotage my laptop ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking forward to meeting all of you in August! Question: Does anyone know how to find out more about PSP/ how to sign up? I can't find any contact info on the website. Sorry if this has already been asked!

Pretty sure PSP is ongoing right now. I walked by the anatomy lab today and it definitely smelled like it. Also I see the schedule up on medscope, so it looks like its too late. Sorry!

I would just like to take the opportunity to say...

In 1 week and 1 day, my ***** will be in Dewey Beach.

1 MORE WEEK OF 3RD YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I want to get an idea of what (if any) books us first years will need...I know that an anatomy atlas is pretty much required, but is there anything else you guys used/what do you suggest?

Thanks!

So I want to get an idea of what (if any) books us first years will need...I know that an anatomy atlas is pretty much required, but is there anything else you guys used/what do you suggest?

Thanks!

When the time comes, the neuroanatomy atlas and the cell physiology textbook. Everything else is pretty much expendable (although some of the questions in the back of the other phys texts are either very similar or word for word to the actual test questions).

Thanks!

In addition to what MSK just posted, I'm posting a link to his post from the 2012 thread which was much more extensive. If you do a search of that thread you can also find a few more posts on the subject.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6519259&postcount=184

Read what he wrote there and do a thread search and you'll find all the info on books you need. In addition to what he wrote in that post, we agreed that the Netter Anatomy flashcards are clutch. In general, you don't need that much in books for Maryland; some people like books more than others. I'd say get what you want/need for anatomy, and sort of figure out how you study best before buying other books.

Sorry to be so lazy, but the info doesn't change that much and its a lot of typing :)

I must have missed that post in the 2012 thread, thanks a bunch!!

Just if my classmates didnt realize already:

THIRD YEAR IS OVER FOREVER! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
wanted to know if any of you guys have received info regarding orientation or about immunization requirements or any of that first year stuff? thanks

Immunization information is in the health form that should've been in your acceptance packet. Aside from the routine vaccinations (MMR, Chicken Pox) you need to have had 2 PPDs in the past year and completed the Hep B series.

Haven't gotten anything about orientation aside from the fact that it starts August 13th.

Has anyone gotten a school e-mail address yet or anything? I know this is dumb, but I was just noticing that people have joined the UMB network on Facebook and I know you have to have an active e-mail address to do that (I'm talking about having "University of Maryland Baltimore 2013" next to your name, not just joining a Facebook group). Just wondering :)

hey...i was just checking medscope and the academic calendar seems to be up for 2009-2010 in case anyone is interested

Has anyone gotten a school e-mail address yet or anything? I know this is dumb, but I was just noticing that people have joined the UMB network on Facebook and I know you have to have an active e-mail address to do that (I'm talking about having "University of Maryland Baltimore 2013" next to your name, not just joining a Facebook group). Just wondering :)

I cheated because I already work here...but we should be getting our student email addresses soon. I've already spoken to the Medscope people about it, but they lied when they told me it would've been by the end of June to get info about our email addresses.

hey...i was just checking medscope and the academic calendar seems to be up for 2009-2010 in case anyone is interested

:scared:

Email is up for incoming MS1s...go through Medscope with your UMB alias ID

I JUST GOT IN FROM THE WAITLIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN"T BELEIVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM IN SHOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!:soexcited:

first of all congrats maimonides

so i just obtained access to medscope and one of the first things i see is regarding SOM and UMMC dress code. i understand that you should look professional when interacting with patients and/or working in the hospital in general. but in the classroom as well? is that new? and based on what i read, the classroom policies seem a bit more lax but not as clearly defined.

can an MSII (or beyond) explain what exactly we are/arent allowed to wear to class? sorry for the seemingly trivial question...i just don't own any shorts that are knee length =P

so i just obtained access to medscope and one of the first things i see is regarding SOM and UMMC dress code. i understand that you should look professional when interacting with patients and/or working in the hospital in general. but in the classroom as well? is that new? and based on what i read, the classroom policies seem a bit more lax but not as clearly defined.

can an MSII (or beyond) explain what exactly we are/arent allowed to wear to class? sorry for the seemingly trivial question...i just don't own any shorts that are knee length =P

don't worry too much about this. they gave a presentation to us during orientation week and every1 was mad b/c they made out that they were more strict than they really are. you can wear normal stuff, shorts and flip flops are fine in the lecture halls, as long as you're not seeing patients that day, it's not really a big deal. just be mindful and don't wear something that is blatantly disrespectful.

Last edited:
Just a note about professionalism and the "dress code":

While there is definitely a more lax dress policy when it comes to attending lectures/small groups, keep in mind that you will be interacting with professors, future attendings and residents, and potential references during class time and throughout the day. Many students in my class chose to dress at least "business casual" on a regular basis, even on days when we weren't in clinic. By business casual, I mean khakis, dress slacks, skirts, etc. with a nice top. Men didn't usually wear ties to class (unless it was a clinic day for them), but ironed button-down/polo shirts were pretty prevalent. In the summertime, dresses are acceptable as long as they aren't too revealing. Lots of people wore jeans in the cooler weather, but I'd say that on any given day at least half of the people attending lecture were more dressed up than that.

Stuff like sweats, pyjamas, scrubs, etc are just simply unacceptable. You're not in college anymore, and you need to start acting like it. I remember seeing a couple of people walk into class during 1st year dressed in sweatpants and baggy T-shirts - it looked so sloppy, and you are much less likely to be taken seriously if you don't at least *look* the part. You can't just roll out of bed and head to class. I know that 8am may seem really early, but trust me - by the time you are finishing up med school, 8am will seem like sleeping in. You will have time to wake up and put together an acceptable outfit. You may want to begin building a respectable wardrobe over this summer.

lilangel, I know that you didn't mean to say that you were trying to roll into class all sloppy-looking in your pyjamas. I'm just trying to provide a little clarity about Maryland's expectations when it comes to dress. Also, keep in mind that once 3rd year hits (which will come waaaay sooner than you realize), you will be dressing up to go to work every single day (unless you are on surgery or OB/gyn, where scrubs are acceptable).

I don't think I've worn jeans in over 6 months.

As long as they're not "booty shorts", youll be aight. If they are booty shorts, it is still acceptable party wear :hardy:

I know that 8am may seem really early, but trust me - by the time you are finishing up med school, 8am will seem like sleeping in.

My girl, you're just sugar coating it for everyone. Sleeping in officially becomes 7am after the 1st week of July your MSIII year. And thats 7am after hitting snooze a few times.

Here's a question...Do all third years have PDAs on them? I'm asking b/c it's time for getting my new cell phone plan, and i'm trying to think if it's worth getting the iphone since it can act as an all in one device. So when you're on your rotations, do you need the PDA or do most people go w/o it? Thanks

I managed to make it through 3rd year without one, and I really didn't have any problems. The only time I really wish that I had one was when one of my residents or attendings had a quick drug question that required looking it up (what's the dose of X? What's the contraindications for Y? etc)...then my classmates would bust out their PDAs at lightening-speed to look it up, while I'd be standing there, helpless.

I have a Palm TX and I use mine every day, multiple times a day. I think its fair to say most people have either a straight PDA or a smart phone (iphone, treo). That being said, you're 2 years away from needing it. If you have no other reason for getting the iphone now other that concern regarding the need for a PDA in 3rd year, it might be better to wait until your renewal just before 3rd year; likely there'll be something even slicker out by then.

well i'm a second year, not a first year now, and since all these stupid cell phone contracts are for two years, i either get the plan now for 3rd year or have to wait until 4th year. but thanks..if most ppl have one it's probably smart to invest in the iphone now.

well i'm a second year, not a first year now, and since all these stupid cell phone contracts are for two years, i either get the plan now for 3rd year or have to wait until 4th year. but thanks..if most ppl have one it's probably smart to invest in the iphone now.

Ha, sorry SP, I do know you're a 2nd year, sorry for the mind blank. My call schedule is starting to wear on me I think. In that case, yeah, its probably worth it if you're a techno gadget person. Many of my classmates have the iphone and really like it for both personal and professional use.

Jeans are ok for class, and sweats are even ok for test days. I wore jeans and t shirts/sweatshirts to class almost every day (except for clinic days of course), and so do most people. flip flops are cool too. just nothing revealing... shorts should reach at least half way down the thigh IMO. I would say avoid short shorts, tube tops, crop tops, super tight clothing etc..... though i've seen it all done before...

Has anyone gotten the email about online HIPAA training yet?

Also, can anyone please explain the parking options? I live in Federal Hill so I was planning on driving to campus everyday.... Is there a better way? I know it's only like a ten minute walk but not sure if it's safe enough... Anyone have experience with this? And if so, what did you do in the past?

Thanks!! And thanks for your past replies everyone; this blog is very helpful :) Can't wait for Aug. 13th!

Has anyone gotten the email about online HIPAA training yet?

Also, can anyone please explain the parking options? I live in Federal Hill so I was planning on driving to campus everyday.... Is there a better way? I know it's only like a ten minute walk but not sure if it's safe enough... Anyone have experience with this? And if so, what did you do in the past?

Thanks!! And thanks for your past replies everyone; this blog is very helpful :) Can't wait for Aug. 13th!

I live in Fed Hill and I bike to campus most days; when its rainy I drive. It is also safe enough to walk during daylight hours. Parking in the student garage is currently $4 a day but is going up to $5 a day I think at the end of the month. If you plan to drive every day, it might be more economical to look into parking on Lexington rooftop for <$50/month. MSK parks there, so he can give you the scoop on how to look into that. If he doesn't follow-up my post with his $0.02, just PM him, I'm sure he'll get back to you. Lexington rooftop is a couple more blocks away and is over by Lexington Market, but the price is good.

Lol I'll say something useful and not just to get people to say WTF for once I suppose.

MSK parks there, so he can give you the scoop on how to look into that.

LS is right, I park in Lex Roof Garage for the low low price of $33 a month. Its about 2 blocks from the main hospital and 1 from the VA, so its convenient enough. Ive never had trouble going there, even late at night, I just look over my shoulder more at sundown.

As a note too, as an MS 3/4, if you are on overnight call from Sat --> Sun, you should park in Pratt St garage. Lex Roof Garage is closed on sundays.

Awesome advice on the parking! Thanks!

hey all. check out the classifieds section on the medscope forums for cheap books for school. do it.

Well, I guess we've almost beat the whole what to wear to class topic to death...

But for the first day, a packet that came the other day said to dress "professionally." Is that dress appropriately as has been discussed at length above? or dress suit and tie?

Also, I called about parking and the lady told me biopark spots become available at 8am on friday the 14th. Seems like they're asking me to show up late to class that day in order to save a couple hundred bucks. Any advice?

Well, I guess we've almost beat the whole what to wear to class topic to death...

But for the first day, a packet that came the other day said to dress "professionally." Is that dress appropriately as has been discussed at length above? or dress suit and tie?

Also, I called about parking and the lady told me biopark spots become available at 8am on friday the 14th. Seems like they're asking me to show up late to class that day in order to save a couple hundred bucks. Any advice?

Suit and tie not necessary. Dress shirt and slacks is fine.

Don't go to class that day. View the lectures online later after you get done with anatomy lab. One of the best parts of Maryland - all lectures are recorded and uploaded online shortly after class each day.

As LS said, no need for a suit. It's pretty standard to wear a shirt and tie for a guy. You'll take your ID photos and also the photo of you that will appear on the Medscope website (two separate photos of you, FYI).

As for the 14th . . . you guys won't have "class", you have orientation activities that morning (and all of the following week). In case you can't access the medscope schedule yet, 8am-9am is an optional "continental breakfast" and 9am-10am is "Overview of Library Resources", which was quite possibly the most boring part of orientation. So if you're looking for a morning to take off and get your parking situation figured out, I can't think of a better morning than August 14th.

Hi,

I've been reading through the posts about books required for first year, and I understand that the anatomy atlas and the cell phys are very important, but I haven't seen anyone mention the histology atlas/book or the embryology book (but I could be blind). What do current students think about these books? Worth it to purchase? Do you need your embryology book to study for boards?

Any insight is helpful!

Hi,

I've been reading through the posts about books required for first year, and I understand that the anatomy atlas and the cell phys are very important, but I haven't seen anyone mention the histology atlas/book or the embryology book (but I could be blind). What do current students think about these books? Worth it to purchase? Do you need your embryology book to study for boards?

Any insight is helpful!

I can’t really speak about boards since I haven’t taken them yet.

For Histology: some people will recommend no text at all. There’s a CD-ROM you’re given which is, in my opinion, very good practice/review before an exam, but poor for actually teaching a lot of the stuff. The course faculty will recommend either Ross or another smaller text. I initially bought neither, but two weeks into the course bought Ross and found it to be very helpful. It was not uncommon to see slides taken directly from that book on the dry practicals either. If you’ve never had histology (which I don’t think most people take in undergrad), I really would recommend this book, especially since my one main complaint about the M1 curriculum is the quality of teaching of this particular subject.

For Embryology: most people, if they get a book, get Langman’s. I had a very old (read: 1980’s) copy of Keith Moore that worked just fine. The Langman’s comes with a CD-ROM that has some pretty helpful animations, but a lot of the time the faculty will include those animations in the powerpoint files. Again, this tends to be an unfamiliar subject to most, and can be a little confusing at times, so a text is helpful in my opinion. Again, others will swear by no texts at all. In general, I’m an advocate for as few books as possible; however, for these two subjects, I’d probably endorse the books.

I think an embryology book is helpful because the key to doing well on embryo is to know the basics really well. A review book is generally enough because it highlights the key points clearly.

most ppl dont use a histo book. I say its not worth it unless you are going into pathology or something...or really like histo...

Sorry if this has been addressed before. Does anyone know of places to park for friends & family who are visiting for a few days ? Any affordable garages or free street parking close to the school that is relatively safe? Thanks!

Sorry if this has been addressed before. Does anyone know of places to park for friends & family who are visiting for a few days ? Any affordable garages or free street parking close to the school that is relatively safe? Thanks!

I know this is wayyyyy late, but the best i can think of near to the main hospital is the Baltimore Grand Garage on Paca street. Theres also Pratt street garage, as well as Penn st garage right across the street. On the weekends I *think* there is street parking along Baltimore St around the dental school/bressler research bldg/the VA/the law school, and also Lombard st along the main hospital/library/student center/nursing school. You def dont have to pay on Sunday, but not sure about saturday, you'll have to check. The garages are the safest bet for weekend visitors.

Langman's embryology is an awesome book. I even used it for Step 1. It helped.

No need to buy a text for histo. Ross is good but only for the super-overzealous. It's insurmountable and you won't have time with both embryo and anatomy at the same time. There are many good online resources available. I highly recommend blue histology. Google it.

To the M3/M4's, any recommended resources for the Pharm stuff? We're just starting it with HDID (NSAIDs, etc) and I'm sure there will be much more once P&T comes along obviously. Any resources/methods you found particularly useful?

To the M3/M4's, any recommended resources for the Pharm stuff? We're just starting it with HDID (NSAIDs, etc) and I'm sure there will be much more once P&T comes along obviously. Any resources/methods you found particularly useful?

Pharmcards and Langes Katzung and Trevor's Pharmacology Board Review were pretty clutch for the pharm we had all year.

Thanks for the advice, MSK. Is it "necessary" to buy the Medical Microbiology (Murray) book? There are some "outside readings" from it that we're apparently supposed to do?

So how does the grading work?

Is it like >90 A, 80-90 B...etc?