University of Maryland 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerpunk60

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll start up this thread. To all those considering Maryland, feel free to ask questions and/or post concerns.

And on that note... NO MORE ANATOMY!!! :thumbup::thumbup:
Can't wait to burn those scrubs tomorrow :D

Members don't see this ad.

Good God its already that time huh? What do you mean we're getting close to halfway through 3rd year already??? I just got here!

And on that note... NO MORE ANATOMY!!! :thumbup::thumbup:
Can't wait to burn those scrubs tomorrow :D

Congrats on that! This time period was one of my favorite parts of med school between the scrub burning and the White Coat Ceremony. Awesome stuff!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I'm thrilled to join the discussion. I really enjoyed my interview day and I got a great feeling about Maryland from the students I met. I was overjoyed to receive an acceptance a few weeks ago.

For the 3rd and 4th years, what do you think of the "call schedule" for medical students at Maryland? Do you get an opportunity to do overnight call, or is there a limit on your hours in the hospital?

Thanks

Some rotations have overnight call in third year. OB, Psych (one call), Surgery (parts) have overnight call. Your Sub-Is in 4th year certainly will. Technically there is no med student work hour limit, but I don't think you'll have to quite worry about pushing it most of the time.

I would also add that on your medicine rotation, the inpatient portion (8 weeks) requires you to take q4 call. Although it's not overnight, you will often be staying until 10 or 11pm, and then, depending on the number of patients you are carrying, you may need to come back the following morning well before 6am. You are also expected to read up on each of your patients (differential dx, appropriate tests/labs, and treatments), and prepare them for presentation to the attending the next morning. So on these nights you tend not to get very much sleep. So, while this is not "overnight call" in the traditional sense, it's still pretty grueling. Also, there will be weeks where you only get 1 day off on a weekend, or even 0 weekend days off (basically you work Monday to the Friday of next week straight through, as you take call on Saturday and therefore have to work Sunday as well). I'm starting that cycle of my rotation today. So, don't worry, Dr2Dr. There's plenty of opportunity to work your ass off and put in tons of hours.

Hi LadyWolverine and Pontifex Maximus

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure I'll be amazed by how busy things are, especially in the clinical years. Work hours are not usually discussed on the interview trail, so I was curious about the policy at Maryland. It sounds like solid clinical exposure and responsibility for the med student.

I was also wondering, what make/model of laptop does the school purchase for students? I am actually quite happy about this because I need a new computer. My current laptop is on its last legs (no working battery, so I have to plug it in wherever I go, which defeats the purpose of a laptop). Do most students bring the laptop to class to take notes, or do students print out lecture notes?

Hi LadyWolverine and Pontifex Maximus

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure I'll be amazed by how busy things are, especially in the clinical years. Work hours are not usually discussed on the interview trail, so I was curious about the policy at Maryland. It sounds like solid clinical exposure and responsibility for the med student.

I was also wondering, what make/model of laptop does the school purchase for students? I am actually quite happy about this because I need a new computer. My current laptop is on its last legs (no working battery, so I have to plug it in wherever I go, which defeats the purpose of a laptop). Do most students bring the laptop to class to take notes, or do students print out lecture notes?

Lenovo T61. 140GB harddrive, not sure about memory and that fancy stuff and I'm too lazy to look it up right now, sorry.
Edit: Ok I looked it up, 2.4GHz processor, 2GB memory.

It's a solid laptop, takes a beating and still works fine.

I'd say 99.9% of students take theirs to class and take notes on the powerpoint slides. One or two people I've seen take handwritten notes on printed out powerpoint slides on paper.

People sort of try different things but quickly settle into a routine. Most people's routine is to sit in lecture (or at home watching the AVI) and take any notes during it, then print out the actual note set that's given with each powerpoint presentation and use that to study from, while referring to the notes you took on the powerpoint slides. Maybe that's not everyone, but that's what I've been doing and it works well.

But to answer your overall question, you'll probably never find a Maryland medical student wandering the halls without their computer.

Last edited:
Hi Rogerwilco

Thanks for the info about the computers. It sounds like a quality machine. I'll be happy to part with my Dell 5150 behemoth.

Rogerwilco, I like the name. Are you a big space quest fan by the way?

Last year when I was considering which schools to apply to, I visited a bunch along the East Coast. Of about the 12 or 13 that I visited, Maryland was by far my favorite. I never thought I'd get accepted because of the low OOS acceptance rate, but here I sit with an acceptance in hand! Maryland is one of my very top choices and if I'm not accepted at my dream school I will probably be coming here! I'm SO excited about that possibility!

:soexcited:

Just here to brag. I'm going to sunny San Diego for the AAPM&R conference this coming weekend. And I get to miss a day of looking at vaginas to do it. That is all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I loved Maryland. Being in-state, I always assumed I had a good chance at ending up here, but never took a tour or visited campus until my interview. There's a really good chance I'll be here next August.

The students were really friendly and laid-back, the facilities all seemed so nice and new, and it seems like you can have a great deal of clinical and (if you want it) research exposure. I was really impressed. I especially loved the large amount of independent time and video taped lectures.

What do you (current students) like about the school?? What do you think are its weaknesses?

Also, what's up with the new student activities center? Do you know what's going to be in there? A gym, etc? I couldn't really find anything on the website, but having a nice, accessible place to workout is important to me.

Thanks!

I loved Maryland. Being in-state, I always assumed I had a good chance at ending up here, but never took a tour or visited campus until my interview. There's a really good chance I'll be here next August.

The students were really friendly and laid-back, the facilities all seemed so nice and new, and it seems like you can have a great deal of clinical and (if you want it) research exposure. I was really impressed. I especially loved the large amount of independent time and video taped lectures.

What do you (current students) like about the school?? What do you think are its weaknesses?

Also, what's up with the new student activities center? Do you know what's going to be in there? A gym, etc? I couldn't really find anything on the website, but having a nice, accessible place to workout is important to me.

Thanks!

The new student center is supposed to have, as far as I know, a gym, basketball court, pool, and other stuff I'm not sure about. It'll be a nice change of pace from the gym we have right now, which is in the Bio Park. They say construction should be done by the time you or any other members of the next class arrive . . . but I'm always skeptical of construction timelines.

As for what I like, a lot of the things you mentioned . . . the short class time (more time to actually learn the stuff on your own, since no one really learns in class anyway, or at least more time to yourself for other things). The AVI lectures are nice too, although it seems like more and more schools are doing this too.

Facilities are nice, location is nice (I happen to like Baltimore, but your mileage may vary), clinical exposure certainly isn't lacking. The current dean is big on improving Maryland's position as a research powerhouse as well.

If you're in state, and you get accepted, I think you'd have to have some pretty compelling reasons to go elsewhere.

Thanks!

Just to add a bit to what RW said...

New Campus Center Website: http://campuscenter.umaryland.edu/index.htm (not hugely informative, but does have some info about what will be in the CC when it is finished). You can find some floor plans here that clearly show the extent of the new athletic facilities. The BioPark gym, which just opened this summer, is temporarily available to students while the existing gym is renovated and connected to additional gym facilities that will be in the new CC (existing gym is on the top floor of the Penn Street Garage).

Also, website for the current gym facilities with hours of operation, intramural and fitness class schedules: http://www.umaryland.edu/rws/

I am up way way too late.

Just here to brag. I'm going to sunny San Diego for the AAPM&R conference this coming weekend. And I get to miss a day of looking at vaginas to do it. That is all.

MSK, I officially hate you. I didn't have a weekend at all, thanks to our call schedule.

I have 4 more days of inpatient medicine left, and it'll be a welcome change to have outpatient hours again for a while. It feels like the past 2 months have been the most grueling of my life. I've worked long and hard hours before in a previous career, but never for 2 weeks straight with no days off and 6am-5pm on a "good day." I don't know if I'm cut out for internal medicine anymore. Plus, feeling worthless most of the day because you still don't know much and can't write orders or notes without a cosigner or do procedures without someone constantly looking over your shoulder and barking orders at you sure doesn't help. :(

I'm still waiting for that magic epiphone moment where you suddenly know exactly what it is that you want to spend the rest of your life doing...so little time now, too....

I'm still waiting for that magic epiphone moment where you suddenly know exactly what it is that you want to spend the rest of your life doing...so little time now, too....

While scrubbed into a posterior wall vajayjay repair today, I had mine. The answer is: trophy wife. But not the kind that has to wear makeup and be attractive. The kind that lays by the pool in a mumu and doesn't have to think about vajayjay repair.

Just to add a bit to what RW said...

New Campus Center Website: http://campuscenter.umaryland.edu/index.htm (not hugely informative, but does have some info about what will be in the CC when it is finished). You can find some floor plans here that clearly show the extent of the new athletic facilities. The BioPark gym, which just opened this summer, is temporarily available to students while the existing gym is renovated and connected to additional gym facilities that will be in the new CC (existing gym is on the top floor of the Penn Street Garage).

Also, website for the current gym facilities with hours of operation, intramural and fitness class schedules: http://www.umaryland.edu/rws/

I am up way way too late.

Thanks for your answers.

So, is there a new gym in addition to the one on the top of the garage? What kind of stuff is in the garage gym/how crowded is it normally?

Sorry, I'm not some super-jock, but I'm just curious about this kind of stuff. I'm spoiled right now by my apartment having a gym on the first floor...

Thanks for your answers.

So, is there a new gym in addition to the one on the top of the garage? What kind of stuff is in the garage gym/how crowded is it normally?

Sorry, I'm not some super-jock, but I'm just curious about this kind of stuff. I'm spoiled right now by my apartment having a gym on the first floor...

The new facilities in the campus center will be in addition to the remodeled facilities on top of the parking garage and they will be connected, from what I understand (parking garage is next to and catty corner to the campus center). Previously the gym had a raquetball court, basketball court, free weights, weight machines, room for fitness classes, ergs, aerobic equipment, lockers, changing rooms, and a variety of other fitness equipment like balance balls, medicine balls, bosu, etc. If you look at the floor plans in the link I previously posted, you can see what spaces will be designated for what. If I'm not mistaken, the new and remodeled facilities will have all of the above plus a pool, running track, and expanded selections of equipment.

As for crowded, at the times I went I never felt that it was too crowded to work out, even if there was occasionally a short wait for aerobic machines. But the new facilities should have even more, so I don't anticipate it being a problem. Additionally, during your 1st two years, you'll have plenty of flexibility in your schedule, so you can schedule your trips to the gym at less busy hours.

Hi guys. I'm a senior at UMBC, and recently got accepted to Maryland, with a big chance I'll end up going there.

I recently interviewed at Einstein, and they really try to give you the impression that they do a phenomenal job of preparing med students for residency, ie. you will often be asked to participate as a 3rd and 4th year, and the doctors there love to involve med students and actively teach them. My interviewer said he feels Einstein students are some of the best prepared for the clinical side of residency out of med school.

I was wondering, does this also exist at Maryland to a large extent (doctors who are very eager to teach and involve students during rotations)? Especially to the 3rd and 4th years, do you feel like you will be very well prepared for residency? Thanks in advance for your input, guys!

I recently interviewed at Einstein, and they really try to give you the impression that they do a phenomenal job of preparing med students for residency, ie. you will often be asked to participate as a 3rd and 4th year, and the doctors there love to involve med students and actively teach them. My interviewer said he feels Einstein students are some of the best prepared for the clinical side of residency out of med school.

I was wondering, does this also exist at Maryland to a large extent (doctors who are very eager to teach and involve students during rotations)? Especially to the 3rd and 4th years, do you feel like you will be very well prepared for residency? Thanks in advance for your input, guys!

Maryland prides itself on the fact that it continuously turns out fantastic clinicians, year after year. After spending 2 months on inpatient internal medicine, I think I understand why that is the case.

I'm not saying that you won't get a good education at Einstein. To be truthful, I've never been there, so I have no basis for comparison. All I can tell you is that here, at Maryland, they take *full advantage* of their med students. You will basically be in charge of taking care of your patients, beginning early in the 3rd year. Most of my attendings have taken time out specifically to teach the 3rd years - especially on medicine. You will be very well-prepared for the "clinical side of residency" here at Maryland. At times, I lament the amount of responsibility that we have. But then I think about how quickly I am learning, and then I realize that this experience will benefit me in the long run.

Good luck to you, wherever you end up.

Hi guys. I'm a senior at UMBC, and recently got accepted to Maryland, with a big chance I'll end up going there.

A recently-minted UMD grad (ER intern at UMD now) told me he felt Maryland prepared him "better" than some other students he worked side-by-side with from other schools on away rotations or during his home rotations with visiting students. Of course that's anecdotal. But it was mostly the "you get to actually do stuff, more hands on, etc" type of deal. I'm sure the third year usual suspects would be happy to weigh in on it first-hand.

That said, I never came across a school on the interview trail that told me "you know, we just don't really try very hard to get our students ready for residency."

And every school in the country has above average board scores.

Maryland prides itself on the fact that it continuously turns out fantastic clinicians, year after year.

I'll have to agree completely on this one. I dont know anything about Einstein and I'm sure they are great (except for the fact that they are in the Bronx and I'll never, ever live there again...ever). But I can say that we do get tons of responsibility, right out.

There were days on shock trauma where I'd pre-round, and have to present on rounds, an entire floor of the patients assigned to our team. We would also run our own "hits" as well...which involved writing up a trauma H&P as well as going through the ABC's, and getting whatever scans or bloodwork that was necessary for our patient.

On pediatrics I did everything the intern did...essentially we split half the work. I wrote all my own orders for my patients (obviously these were all cosigned), presented half of the census every morning, made plans and differentials for all my patients each morning, and did all their discharge paperwork when it was time to boot them. That included any asthma teaching they needed, or how to take any medications they were going home on and what they were for, or even what to look for that should be concerning enough to go to the ED.

As LW stated, on medicine, you WILL be owning your patients. I dont have it until January, but you are essentially expected to do everything I mentioned that I did on peds (maybe you wont carry half the load though, my census capped at like 10 where I did peds). You will also most likely bring in daily journal articles. I believe they expect a lot of you on neuro as well.

As a rule, at Muriland they def expect you to know all about what to do for your patients. Generally its okay to not know an answer about a pimp question, so long as its not directly related to your patient. The times I didnt know my patient as well I def looked bad for it, but it makes you a better student and eventually a better doc.

I've heard many times that residency programs all around are impressed with the quality of our students as well. We do get excellent training and if you didnt learn a ton from a rotation, you were just really slacking and didnt take it seriously enough.

Well,that applies unless youre on OB/GYN, but lets not get into that...

That said, I never came across a school on the interview trail that told me "you know, we just don't really try very hard to get our students ready for residency."

And every school in the country has above average board scores.

I would absolutely keep this in mind when you are interviewing, because residency programs will try to make you drink this Kool-Aid when you apply too.

You really have to talk to the students to get a sense of this. Instead of asking directly like "What are your rotations like? How much do you see?" it would be better to ask "What are your typical responsibilities during your 3rd year rotations?" or "During your 3rd and 4th year, what is your role in taking H&P's, presenting, writing orders, doing procedures, presenting articles, etc."

Questions like that gives you a better gauge of how hands on it actually is. Sure 1st and 2nd year are important, but Step 1 is really what makes those years important for most people, and sorry to say, your score on that is more of an individual effort rather than good teaching than anything. Where teaching is PARAMOUNT is during your 3rd year, where you really learn to become a good intern. Ive been told the learning curve 4th year flattens a bit due to you either putting on a show half of the year (interviews, away rotations/sub-Is) or relaxing, but then it steepens again intern year.

Ive also been told by interns that the best prep for your PGY-1 year is learning a lot 3rd year. Part of that is being all up in your patients and actually getting to do stuff to them.

I feel like 3rd and 4th year are kind of glossed over during interviews because its so far away, and its not the college feel everyone is used to during 1st and 2nd year, so its not really considered in the process. Looking back, its actually the most important experience in med school, so I caution you all to take it seriously when thinking about schools!

Grading system? Its all the same in the end whether letters or P/F. Its all bulls*** because every school ranks you in the end, and almost no residency prog looks at grades anymore anyway.

Step 1 avg? Who cares? Its an individual effort. I have below average 1st and 2nd year grades, and an above avg Step 1. I did worse in class, so I studied harder for Step 1, funny how that works :laugh:

The only things to me, that really matter about med school are how lectures work 1st and 2nd year (if there is a 2nd year), what you get for 3rd year required rotations, and how much and when you get elective time. I guess you can throw potential study space in there too (probably underrated). Other than dynamic with other students (class full of gunners or mostly laid back) not a whole lot else matters IMHO.

Best of luck to all! I'm cutting it off there because I want to get a chicken biscuit before vagina clinic today, and being late is not a good idea...ever...

Other than dynamic with other students (class full of gunners or mostly laid back) not a whole lot else matters IMHO.

could you comment on the dynamic at maryland?

As LW stated, on medicine, you WILL be owning your patients. I dont have it until January, but you are essentially expected to do everything I mentioned that I did on peds (maybe you wont carry half the load though, my census capped at like 10 where I did peds). You will also most likely bring in daily journal articles.

There is absolutely, positively, NO WAY I could handle 10 patients at once on IM as a 3rd year. Even the interns cap at 8 or 9 a piece. My personal max is 4, and even that makes me somewhat uncomfortable, as I am afraid that I am forgetting to put orders in/missing parts of the physical exam/mixing patients up/not having enough time to read up on their conditions. These IM patients tend to be incredibly complex with problem lists running well into the teens. At the moment, I have a patient in her 90s with advanced dementia, a UTI, a whole host of electrolyte abnormalities, and I'm praying that her family doesn't want to put her through the indignity of placing a g-tube. Then there's the other lady with advanced crohn's complicated by short-bowel syndrome (as she's s/p a gazillion surgeries to cut/reanastamose) who also has the misfortune of experiencing recurrent UTIs and severe hydronephrosis due to chronic interstitial nephritis of unknown etiology - her ureters on the CT scan were larger in caliber than her kidneys...her workup has been so extensive that we have consulted 5 other services. Then there's the young guy with the bizarro rash who was sent here because the other hospital couldn't figure out wtf was going on with him, and now I am regretting the fact that I started to lose focus during our derm/rheum unit last year.

Also, every patient admitted to the medical service is anemic. You can just add that to your bullet point list of problems by default. Seriously, the blank progress note should just have "heme: anemia" printed on it.

And as for daily articles - it depends on the attending. I've had attendings that viewed stopping to discuss articles as more of an interruption, and then I've had attendings who give you 3-5 articles every day, and expect you to come prepared to discuss them the next morning. Luckily, my current attending is somewhere in the middle of those 2 extremes.

Thanks for the info on Maryland! I really appreciate the replies. It's very reassuring to hear that they train you so well in the 3rd/4th years. That's what I was hoping to hear! :) It's probably a bit naive of me to say this, and I'll probably end up feeling otherwise when I actually start my 3rd year, haha, but I'd rather have more responsibility than less.

Oh MSK...I miss you and your chicken biscuits. :)

I miss giving you chicken biscuits! Just call me Santa.

A pretty good mix. Mostly hardworking yet laid back individuals. True gunners exist but are the exception rather than the rule. I super :love: my classmates.

I'm going to go ahead and agree with you. Yay vagina surgery! (I decided I'm gonna say this to you every chance I get)

There is absolutely, positively, NO WAY I could handle 10 patients at once on IM as a 3rd year.

My bad, I meant we could only hold up to 10 patients at a time on the floor at Franklin Square...I could NEVER hold 10 myself quite yet! Ha trust me, I'm okay, but I'm not that good. The most I ever carried was 4 as well, and since these are peds patients who have nothing close to the PMHs yours had, I have no complaints. It really isnt so bad to carry 4 peds pts in a community hospital. Just know your asthma Dx criteria and Tx and youre golden. Really, knowing any respiratory issues and rashes that are common in kids cold gets you by most of the rotation.

And as for daily articles - it depends on the attending. I've had attendings that viewed stopping to discuss articles as more of an interruption, and then I've had attendings who give you 3-5 articles every day, and expect you to come prepared to discuss them the next morning. Luckily, my current attending is somewhere in the middle of those 2 extremes.

Uh yeah, and the whole presenting that article thing, being somewhere in between the two is just fine by me (I hope I get that fortunate). Articles everyday are annoying...I feel like I'm capable of reading on my own every night, and bringing something up real quick a couple days a week should be sufficient.

Thats why, for me, medicine sounds cool as a concept, but I cant actually practice it. Doing all that rounding and not getting your hands dirty would kill my spirit. I dont know how my dad did it.

If it will help easy the pain of being apart, you can give me chicken biscuits and pretend I am LW. (Man, that sounds really dirty now that I've typed it)

I'm going to go ahead and agree with you. Yay vagina surgery! (I decided I'm gonna say this to you every chance I get)

Please do, I will LMFAO. Turns out vagina surgery was much better on Week 2. Turns out Week 1 sucked mostly because the Chief Resident was away at a conference and things basically stopped functioning and the medical students got caught in the crossfire.

Woohoo, I just got accepted yesterday. This acceptance is making me reevaluate where I will be next year.... Why is it so hard to choose which med school to go to!

hmm... Anyone know what's gonna happen to the current gym one the sweet new student center opens?

And BTW, I'm sure this has been answered somewhere before, so sorry for repeating, but do we really have to pay Maryland like $1300 for a laptop, or can we buy an equivalent one ourselves for like half the price?

hmm... Anyone know what's gonna happen to the current gym one the sweet new student center opens?

And BTW, I'm sure this has been answered somewhere before, so sorry for repeating, but do we really have to pay Maryland like $1300 for a laptop, or can we buy an equivalent one ourselves for like half the price?

The current gym is part of the BioPark and will remain open (it's mostly a "corporate fitness" type place that is being temporarily shared with the students).

And yeah your laptop is figured into your tuition and fees (it's closer to $2000 . . . $500 or so spread out over the first 4 semesters). You will take all your exams on it and there are specific settings and such that are required. I think it's a perfectly fine laptop . . . a lot of the extra money goes towards security stuff and whatnot. To the best of my knowledge there's no Big Brother watching you through your computer or anything (there are some schools this is not the case).

And yeah your laptop is figured into your tuition and fees (it's closer to $2000 . . . $500 or so spread out over the first 4 semesters). You will take all your exams on it and there are specific settings and such that are required. I think it's a perfectly fine laptop . . . a lot of the extra money goes towards security stuff and whatnot. To the best of my knowledge there's no Big Brother watching you through your computer or anything (there are some schools this is not the case).

You can go out and buy a computer for half the price if you want - but they're still going to charge you for and hand you a laptop during orientation. :D

Additionally, the cost of the laptop pays for a no-questions-asked 100% guarantee on your laptop and dedicated tech support. If anything ANYTHING happens to your laptop - needs to be reformatted, needs a part replaced, need a new laptop - you just take it to the tech guys here on campus. These are dedicated tech guys who just deal with medical school tech support. You hand it to them and basically say "fix please" and they will do what needs to be done. They have loaners if they need to keep it for awhile, though usually they have stuff done within a day if not same day.

Considering how dependent you will become in MSI and II on your laptop, this is a HUGE DEAL. This thing will be your lifeline here, and having absolutely no worries about anything happening to it is a very very good thing when you have all the other stresses of med school to deal with. I've used them three times - once when my spacebar/palm rest broke (new part ordered and installed in less than a week), once when I decided to upgrade my memory chip (bought with my own funds but they installed it for me free of charge), and once when I somehow royally screwed it up and needed the operating system reimaged (and I'm fairly computer savvy so you know it was messed up but good).

Long story short - computer expensive, yes, but tech services/warrantee off the charts good and better than you would ever get buying your own.

Again, just to add to what RW has said - go back and read the posts around #17-19 in this thread for a lot of detailed posts about the gym(s). The BioPark gym is not really the "current" student gym; the actual student gym is being remodeled as the student center is being finished and will be connected to the student center; additionally, the student center will have additional gym facilities to add to the existing facilities at the "true" student gym. I'm actually not sure if the BioPark gym will remain open to students once the student center opens - but either way, the new facilities will far exceed the recently opened BioPark gym, which was rush opened just this past summer, incomplete, to accommodate staff and students while the existing gym was updated along with the student center addition. So whatever happens to the BioPark, you'll have great gym facilities.

Dear Santa (;)),
I am writing to inform you that tomorrow, a Chick-fil-a is opening only a short drive from my house. I happened to drive by tonight on my way home from the grocery store, and there were about 50 tents in the parking lot. I debated pulling over and asking around for you, but then remembered that we are in medical school, which unfortunately precludes you from waiting in a parking lot for 24 hours for the joint to open. (And that's too bad, because apparently they have some serious free stuff for the 1st 100 folks in the door.)

Perhaps, in the near future, I will be the one bringing YOU the chicken biscuits. As a matter of fact, if you bring presents, I will leave one on a plate by the chimney just for you.

Sincerely yours,
LW

LadyWolverine,

You were bashing the city of Baltimore pretty badly in a different thread... is it really that bad?

I guess other UMarylanders can also answer this question. Thanks!

It's really not that bad. I mean there are obviously really bad parts of the city (like all cities) but I really don't mind baltimore. The area around the school is fine, unless it's the middle of the night and you're walking around by yourself, you won't feel unsafe or anything. Pay no mind to all this Baltimore bashing..i think it gets a worse rep that it probably deserves

I was not "bashing" Baltimore, per se. What I said was that I don't like living here, specifically where I particularly live, which is not very close to the campus. I think that my feelings toward Baltimore have more to do with the fact that I am a DC-area transplant trying to live in a very different city.

"Is it really that bad?" is a question that is difficult to answer. If, by "that bad," you mean am I fearing for my life regularly? The answer to that is a resounding no. I think people tend to play-up the violent crime in Baltimore, especially when the majority of people will be living near the campus and are therefore relatively safe. I hate it when people make comments like, "Oh, you live in Baltimore, have you been shot at yet?" because those types of questions are generally obnoxious and demonstrate ignorance. Baltimore has a HUGE problem with crime, especially drug-trade related crime. However, unless you are actively dealing, using, or interacting with those in the drug trade, you are unlikely to experience any of said related crime, which accounts for the majority of murders and gun crime in Baltimore. It is also easy to avoid those areas by just sticking to certain parts of town. Now, there are the "occasional" assaults/muggings/carjackings/robberies, and the more-than-occasional burglaries/larceny from vehicles/vandalism/petty crimes. I put "occasional" in quotation marks because it seems to happen a bit more than just "occasionally." I have a few classmates who have been mugged and/or assaulted for no reason other than they were crossing the street. LS was carjacked at knifepoint during 2nd year. Another student (or employee) was also recently carjacked at gunpoint. But the police were very quick at apprehending the suspects, and the UMB police force usually does a good job of responding and successfully catching the criminals. The justice system is another story, as LS can attest to, but that's not really the fault of the police.

I hate my neighborhood because of the type of people that live in it. I live on a relatively busy street peppered with dive bars, seedy homes where there have been 2 recent major drug-ring busts, and a few very bold drug dealers who have recently set up shop directly kitty-corner to my home. The people that live in the immediate area tend to be the types who vandalize city projects for no reason other than to be deadbeats, throw garbage and broken glass all over my lawn and porch, get into barfights which then spill out onto my street, get drunk and verbally and physically abuse their girlfriend in the middle of the street at 3am, and attempt to steal my car from right out in front of my home. When I first moved in, I tried to give at least some of the neighborhood a chance - I got involved with the neighborhood committee, went to monthly meetings with the president/VP and local police force, and helped out with some community projects. Sadly, our efforts have been pretty much thwarted by the local deadbeats who continue to make up about 50% of the population of my neighborhood (the other 50% being actual contibutors to society). We had a nice community project where we set up planters up and down washington blvd which had nice flowers in them. Instead of respecting them, people use them as trash cans, the drunken hoodlums push them into the street where they cause accidents and get destroyed, and the local delinquent kids set off fireworks and small bombs in them - the fire department had to come to put one out across the street from my house. Anyway, the point is that I really detest my neighborhood, and the fact that I do spend a significant amount of time at home where I sometimes don't feel safe has led me to really dislike my Baltimore experience thus far. I wish I lived somewhere closer to school or in Federal Hill/Mt. Vernon - I think I'd be a lot happier.

OK, that was long-winded. But the short version is that Baltimore is very liveable. I love my school, I love my classmates, I'm just not crazy about the city. I find that Baltimore itself has this pervasive feeling of gloominess and lack of city pride, and it rots my soul from the inside out. Still, I think I made the right choice for medical school. It's only a few years and I spend plenty of time either on campus or in DC, so I've found ways to escape Baltimore's "charm."

Yes but they gave me back my laptop and notes before they drove away in my car, so really, it was a pretty good day.

Ha. What did you do, ask them for it? That's a pretty kind/calm carjacker.

I know a big part of the school is made up of UMD College Park grads, how do they feel about crime around the medical campus as compared to College Park?

Yes but they gave me back my laptop and notes before they drove away in my car, so really, it was a pretty good day.

You best believe she asked for it back! lol! I would have too...mofo would have to shoot me before you took off with my notes or my stethescope (sentimental value), you can have everything else.

I know a big part of the school is made up of UMD College Park grads, how do they feel about crime around the medical campus as compared to College Park?

I can attest to this since I'm one of those who attended college park as well. If you compare college park as a whole to baltimore as a whole, you dont have NEARLY the same problems. Baltimore is a whole different universe. Lets be real here, Baltimore does have some of the worst ghettos in the country, but thats not really a big factor for us, since most of us dont live in those neighborhoods (LW and LS are among those who have properties in more, um, colorful areas though).

When it comes to where most of us live, around campus, Id say the concern is about the same. In college park and in baltimore, you'll get robbed on campus if youre not careful. Its not too often, but things do happen. If you take the proper precautions (like walking in groups at night, taking the best lit path, walking with a purpose and always knowing who is around you) then you should be straight.

As for my general, yearly SDN being safe in Baltimore soapbox talk:

I dont live in Baltmore, but my gf does for law school. Do I go pick her up from school if she stays at the library late? Yes. Does she call me and wake me up if she walks through her garage to get up to her apt? Yup. Did the same at CP too and I wouldnt have it any other way, its just about taking precautions to help avoid these situations.

There are enough stories amongst people in our class getting held by knife/gunpoint even in more "student friendly" areas like Fells, Ridgleys, and places closer to campus that you should think to yourself "Am I being street smart right now?" Its the reality of living in any city really.

In my own humble opinion, if you consider where we are in Baltimore, the downtown portion, compared to other downtowns I have personally experienced (New York, Boston, Chicago, Philly, NW DC), I'd say there is a higher incidence of crime in Baltimore. I cannot prove that, but for those who know me, I dont just make stuff up.

Again, I'll stress that street smarts takes you a long way no matter where you are though. I'll step down now.

Well I'm on call today but since there isn't a single woman here even thinking about going into labor I guess I have some time to elaborate.

Well look. I am slightly insane; I was that way before medical school. But there is a special kind of insane overlying my baseline level of insanity which presents in many med students during the first 2 years. What I did is not textbook behavior in these situations and if anything I will tell you what happened so you know what not to do. After being presented with the knife and handing over my keys, I was told to leave (more colorful language was used of course). Instead of being sensible and actually running away, I broke down into hysterical crying and begging "please can I have my notes I just need my notes I have an exam coming up I'm going to fail please let me have my notes." I don't think the criminals were particularly nice, I think I was making too much noise. One of them was already in the car at this point and he reached into the back seat and grabbed my bag and threw it out the window before they drove off. So I got to keep my wallet, cell phone, laptop, and notes (which were all in the bag with the notes). I got my white coat and stethoscope back when they found the car 2 days later. It worked out ok, I didn't get hurt, etc. But its probably better not to do what I did.

For the record, the Office of Student Affairs was extremely helpful about all this and I did delay taking that exam a couple of days just because of the sheer amount of time dealing with police reports, photo lineups, etc took away from studying. So you can take that away from the story I guess - Dr. Parker and the OSA have your back in situations like this.

Oh wow, that's quite a story LS. Good thing everything worked out okay in the end. It's also really good to know that the school helped you out too.

MSK, thanks for your answer. I wasn't really talking about Baltimore as a whole..I know some parts of the city are just terrible. I was more trying to get a comparison of the area around the medical campus/area where most students live to the college park campus and surrounding area.

I mean, there's lots of crime here at UMD and I know several people who have had their houses robbed, stuck up at gunpoint, etc etc, but it's not too frequent and doesn't affect my day to day life very much, nor do I ever feel excessively unsafe. So, I guess what I meant to say was that if the medical campus is comparable to CP, I think I'll manage just fine. I would definitely spend the extra couple hundred a month to live on a little nicer block or whatever.