University of Maryland 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am I the only one who uses spray starch when ironing my white coat?

Possibly. But that is something that is not beyond me, I would do that when I ironed in the morning if I wasnt chronically 5-10 mins late...

Also, I :love: Shock Trauma. I'm exhausted, but I :love: it. I do not :love: rounding for 4-5 hours postcall.

I hear you on that one. Post call rounds were always, by far the worst for me. If I got to leave at 7am the next morning, I would have been rosy and nice every post-call we had.

This means that you actually genuinely like STC since its towards the end of 3rd year. Are you gonna go be a trauma surgeon on me now? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Possibly. But that is something that is not beyond me, I would do that when I ironed in the morning if I wasnt chronically 5-10 mins late...

Son, I do not even make my lunch in the morning. I make coffee, but I have a Keurig. Lunch and ironing are done the night BEFORE.

This means that you actually genuinely like STC since its towards the end of 3rd year. Are you gonna go be a trauma surgeon on me now? :D

I decline to comment at this time. :cool: Talk to me after I do my 3-weeker at Mercy next.

Hi Everyone!

I'm attending the School of Medicine starting this fall and was wondering if anyone has found a good source listing scholarships offered for medical students/graduate students. I'm instate and live in Baltimore City. I'm familiar with the Senatorial and Delegate Scholarships but was wondering if anyone knew of any other good places to look for some much needed free $$. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone!

I'm attending the School of Medicine starting this fall and was wondering if anyone has found a good source listing scholarships offered for medical students/graduate students. I'm instate and live in Baltimore City. I'm familiar with the Senatorial and Delegate Scholarships but was wondering if anyone knew of any other good places to look for some much needed free $$. Thanks!

When you find this "free money," please let me know. I guarantee I need it more than you. :) PS congrats on choosing Maryland. You'll love it here.

I miss the crazy nights on trauma. I miss the blood showers on vascular. I miss having attendings who swear like sailors and throw things in the OR. I miss driving the camera around in human innards. I miss cutting and tying things. I just miss surgery in general. :(

Delivering babies has been fun, but it's just not the same. At least I have gyn surg/onc next - it may be surgery on vaginas, but I'll bet my right butt cheek that it's 1000000000 times better than writing notes and doing scut and social work on inpt medicine. Or sitting around arguing with residents and being bored out of my skull on neuro consults.

I ditched my white coat back during surgery. I still wear it for AM rounds, mostly because I keep everything I need in my pockets. But I kept leaving it on the pegs by the OR and forgetting about it. So now I just keep it on hand in case I need it, but I typically don't. I hate wearing it - it's too big for me and it makes me look like a child. And sometimes I get really warm in it. (btw, I do iron it).

MSK, I've been trying for weeks to get LS to come over to the dark side...:smuggrin:

So do most of us first-years. And we hardly do anything in them.

Actually I just hate wearing the coat, period.

How on earth did your white coat get that dirty after 1st year? Mine was almost as pristine-white on my last day of ICM 1 as it was the day I got it, and I had a pretty hardcore ICM experience. Instead of taking histories, did you go outside when it was raining and roll around in the middle of Lombard street? You haven't even started filling your pockets with stuff or putting your hands on patients yet! Maybe you should buy a new coat, Mr. Messy :)

During 3rd year, you only really *have* to wear your white coat when on outpatient rotations, although it helps to have it for AM rounds when you need lots of pocket space for papers, reference books, tape/dressing supplies, etc. Mine weighs close to 10 pounds now, between all the books and rolls of tape and gloves and alcohol pads and 4x4s and trauma shears and whatnot. And I wonder why I don't like wearing it.

How on earth did your white coat get that dirty after 1st year?

Tossing it on the ground when I get home, or throwing it on the floor of my locker after ICM. Not bothering to clean it up when I spill a little coffee on it. Nothing exciting, it's mostly just lack of caring for it. Definitely not the "actually doing stuff that's worthwhile" kind of dirty.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

I'll agree with LW on that, I am unaware of any list that has a lot of scholarships on it. Maybe fin aid would be of assistance. There's nothing wrong with asking, we are all broke! Besides, after doing FAFSA for the last time and calculating how far in the hole I am after med school (and this is AFTER a full ride to college!), yeah more scholarships would be nice!

MSK, I've been trying for weeks to get LS to come over to the dark side...:smuggrin:

Yeah dude, we need to tell LS to stop frontin'. I dont even want to be a surgeon and I enjoyed myself. Besides, shes totally the surgeon-type when I think about it (and no I dont mean being and ******* :laugh:). I'm sure shes enjoying Mercy and is gonna become a cutter now. I'm all for that. I'll create my own SBO and/or sigmoid volvulus so she can fix me. The only things I ask of anyone is a) refer me all your MSK/Rehab patients and b) dont EVER call PM&R physical therapy :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:, and my blessing is with you. No I dont have a pet peeve, or am bitter or anything...

And she totally cant read this and see that we are talking about her on the internet.

I hope you both get H1N1. :rolleyes:

And I'll be sure to come in and cough it all over you, just like the days of atypical pneumonia :smuggrin: BALLIN'!

(I love how several month long asthma exacerbations can mimic madd pulm stuff)

And I'll be sure to come in and cough it all over you, just like the days of atypical pneumonia :smuggrin: BALLIN'!

(I love how several month long asthma exacerbations can mimic madd pulm stuff)

Haha. Now you stop frontin'. We all know you were just trying to get out of a couple days of OBGYN.

"Where's MSK?" "He's in the emergency room getting a neb."

Last edited:
Haha. Now you stop frontin'. We all know you were just trying to get out of a couple days of OBGYN.

Hey, it worked! I got an extra day tacked onto Thanksgiving break!

Sad part was, the attending that saw me was on the fence about admitting me. If I wasn't a med student or if he thought I would be bad follow-up, I would have been eating turkey from The Square.

But really, its the boy-ish smile that gets 'em everytime :D:cool:

trying to figure out this financial aid stuff is making my head hurt.
i'm sure there are others out there in the same boat?
however, i'm getting super excited about starting in august

question: i'm trying to figure out how much i want to take out in loans....anybody see anything terribly adverse or negative about accepting loans up to cost of attendance the first year and then adjusting the next year if need be? i'd rather take out too much than not enough, but am trying to figure out if COA is going to be way over my needs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
trying to figure out this financial aid stuff is making my head hurt.
i'm sure there are others out there in the same boat?
however, i'm getting super excited about starting in august

question: i'm trying to figure out how much i want to take out in loans....anybody see anything terribly adverse or negative about accepting loans up to cost of attendance the first year and then adjusting the next year if need be? i'd rather take out too much than not enough, but am trying to figure out if COA is going to be way over my needs.

from my experience, the COA is well over the amt you really need. they overestimate it to make sure it'll cover the year's expenses. why i'm saying it is b/c you're taking out these loans on pretty high interest...but i hear you can actually return some of the loan money before a certain date, so if you take out too much, you can give it back. not really sure about it thou, since i haven't done it.

I'll be at Maryland in the fall. Can't wait to meet everyone :D

from my experience, the COA is well over the amt you really need. they overestimate it to make sure it'll cover the year's expenses. why i'm saying it is b/c you're taking out these loans on pretty high interest...but i hear you can actually return some of the loan money before a certain date, so if you take out too much, you can give it back. not really sure about it thou, since i haven't done it.

Ditto to this. Do you have a place you'll be living picked out? Rent is a big variable . . . once you figure that part out, it's a little easier to at least make a better estimate.

Take a close look at what they allot money for: things like travel, books, etc. They'll even tell you that a lot of these are sort of built in "buffers" or whatever, to make sure that if you have some circumstance where you need to commute from DC each day on the MARC or something a bit extreme like that, you'd still be covered more or less. But ask yourself how much you think you'll actually spend on "books" (here's a hint: it'll be a lot less than they recommend), and things of that nature.

I think (but I'm not sure) you can always borrow a little more (up to the COA) if you realize as you go that you didn't take out enough, but don't quote me on that. It's a tough balancing act though, like soccerpunk60 said, because you don't want to get stuck with a ton of extra loan money with building interest. Pretty sure he's right about being able to return X amount of dollars if you borrow too much, but I don't think that window of time is very long.

Best advice I can give: find a rich girl/boyfriend quick.
Second best advice I can give: figure out your rent/utilities, what your car situation will be, and estimate what you think is a reasonable budget is for food for you (including purchasing beverages at the local watering holes every 3 mondays or so, minimum) and go from there. You probably shouldn't have to borrow up to the COA. So add up all the absolutely necessary things (tuition/"fees"/rent/food) and then see where you're at. Talk to the financial aid people (and by financial aid people I mean Patricia Scott) to get a better idea of what kinds of things you might want to consider before accepting a $ figure.

Take a close look at what they allot money for: things like travel, books, etc. They'll even tell you that a lot of these are sort of built in "buffers" or whatever, to make sure that if you have some circumstance where you need to commute from DC each day on the MARC or something a bit extreme like that, you'd still be covered more or less. But ask yourself how much you think you'll actually spend on "books" (here's a hint: it'll be a lot less than they recommend), and things of that nature.

Our 4th year expenses included tons of crap that I wont even need to worry about. For instance, I registered for all of Step 2 with the money I had from this year (since I had extra), so by time I got that COA estimate, I already could scratch that off the list. Also, they have a "book" allowance for 4th years as well. Honestly, if anyone bought books for any 4th year rotations, id be throughly shocked, as you can probably use the stuff you accumulated over the past 3 years. Not to mention buying books for 4th year is like buying a car in Manhattan after getting along without one for a few years. Really, it would be just to have one.

Essentially, they assume you are loose with your expenditures and there's no hope for you to be thrifty. Fortunately, most of us are pretty cheap, so there is generally no need to take out the whole thing. If you need all the dough, you have a kid or two, or mortgage you need to make sure gets paid.

I think (but I'm not sure) you can always borrow a little more (up to the COA) if you realize as you go that you didn't take out enough, but don't quote me on that. It's a tough balancing act though, like soccerpunk60 said, because you don't want to get stuck with a ton of extra loan money with building interest. Pretty sure he's right about being able to return X amount of dollars if you borrow too much, but I don't think that window of time is very long.

You can do both, either take out more (if you didnt take out all the money you got offered), or you can give some back before a certain deadline--im not sure what that is though, because i never needed to give back or take more of any kind of money. Although it will accrue interest if you take out too much, its better to take out a thousand or two extra rather than too little, IMHO. You probably want some "Just in case ****" funds, as Chris Rock puts it.

I'm not implying these guys wouldnt echo my sentiments (please correct me if im speaking falsely for any of you), but I just wanted to make sure you knew that, since the worst thing you can do in med school is worry about money. There's far too much else to worry about, especially as you get further and further along.

On Fin Aid - Additionally, I recommend just deferring a decision on funds you might feel you don't need at this time - ie don't "reject" the high-interest loans, rather just leave that item blank when you use the drop down menus for what to accept (I think the option might be "undecided"). That way if you get a couple months in and decide you will need more money, you will be able to apply for those loans without a lot of hassle of going back to financial aid and getting them to reoffer them to you. You should be able to tell after a couple months of school what you'll need for the semester/year. If you don't accept those high-interest loans right away but find out you'll need some extra to get you through, its ok, you can still accept them if you haven't rejected them.

Additionally, I advocate getting a separate savings account (high-interest savings account) to keep your loan check in. I use Kirkpatrick Bank Savings Square, but there are a ton of them out there. Its an online only account, fully FDIC insured, etc, no minimum balance, no fees. I deposit my check into my land-based checking each semester and transfer it to my savings account. I then set up an automatic transfer that transfers a portion of the check to my checking every month. So I get a little bit of interest (not much but more than I would for a land based savings account) and personally it works for me to help me budget (I also use Quicken though as I have a little bit of OCD in this area).

Also, my PERSONAL opinion is that it is silly for the average young healthy person to have a comprehensive healthcare plan like that which you purchase through the school. I have an individually purchased high-deductible personal comp plan which I feel is a much better use of my healthcare insurance dollars and is cheaper than the comprehensive plan offered by the school. At the risk of rambling on at length on one of my soapbox issues, I won't go into more detail here unless someone requests I do so. If you're interested, either post here or PM me and I will expand on your options in this area.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Thanks for the fin. aid advice! :thumbup:

I have been out of school for a year and am feeling a little rusty when it comes to my science knowledge. Does anyone have any advice on material I should review this summer before starting my first year at UMD? At the very least I am planning on reviewing my old bio MCAT materials... Any advice on subjects I should look into in more detail?? Any good textbooks I could even invest in that may be helpful?

THANKS! :luck:

Thanks for everyone's takes on financial aid. Not sure what I'll end up doing, but it is good to hear everyone's opinions.

I still think it will be better to have a little extra. I can always just immediately pay it back, right? That is my thought anyway.

Random, but I hope it stops raining in Charm City soon.

Hi everyone! Thanks for the fin. aid advice! :thumbup:

I have been out of school for a year and am feeling a little rusty when it comes to my science knowledge. Does anyone have any advice on material I should review this summer before starting my first year at UMD? At the very least I am planning on reviewing my old bio MCAT materials... Any advice on subjects I should look into in more detail?? Any good textbooks I could even invest in that may be helpful?

THANKS! :luck:

Only books you should invest in are an anatomy atlas like Netter (or Rohen if you like pictures of pristine cadavers . . . if there is such a thing), the Respiratory book by West, and Cell Phys by Blaustein/Kao/Matteson. Those are probably the only books you'll most certainly need first year. Maybe the neuro atlas (Haines) . . . but none of these books should be opened until school starts.

Seriously, enjoy your summer. I had the same thoughts as you at first, and I'm glad I didn't act on them. Chances are, you'll probably have to teach yourself the finer points of mitosis any and every time it comes up in your educational career anyway . . . just a fact of life. So wait until then.

If you absolutely insist on doing SOMETHING during the summer, maybe spend a tiny bit of time familiarizing yourself with some basic anatomical terms (medial/lateral, rostral/caudal, abduction/adduction) or something like that, but even then, I wouldn't waste much brainpower there. It's probably nice to have that stuff floating around somewhere in your head so it's a few less things you have to worry about the first couple weeks of anatomy, but it's really a drop in the bucket compared to everything you'll be learning.

Others might have a different take.

Thanks for everyone's takes on financial aid. Not sure what I'll end up doing, but it is good to hear everyone's opinions.

I still think it will be better to have a little extra. I can always just immediately pay it back, right? That is my thought anyway.

Random, but I hope it stops raining in Charm City soon.

That'd probably work fine, if it's what you'd like to do.

We have an exam on Friday the 15th, so in accordance with the Weather Gods hating med students, it will likely become nicer and nicer outside the closer we get to our exam (and the less time we can spend outside), then rain like hell on exam day/night.

Weather.com confirms this.

Only books you should invest in are an anatomy atlas like Netter (or Rohen if you like pictures of pristine cadavers . . . if there is such a thing), the Respiratory book by West, and Cell Phys by Blaustein/Kao/Matteson. Those are probably the only books you'll most certainly need first year. Maybe the neuro atlas (Haines) . . . but none of these books should be opened until school starts.

If you absolutely insist on doing SOMETHING during the summer, maybe spend a tiny bit of time familiarizing yourself with some basic anatomical terms (medial/lateral, rostral/caudal, abduction/adduction) or something like that, but even then, I wouldn't waste much brainpower there. It's probably nice to have that stuff floating around somewhere in your head so it's a few less things you have to worry about the first couple weeks of anatomy, but it's really a drop in the bucket compared to everything you'll be learning.

You hit the nail on the head with that last comment. There's no point to trying to "study for med school" on your own - you aren't learning in the proper context. Believe me, it's probably wasted time.

If you are interested, you might look into the PSP. I did this program the summer before I started med school - it's like learning how to be in med school without counting towards your grades or evaluations, plus you'll dredge up some of that rusty material, dust it off, and use it. You'll learn how to study and what to study in the right context - it's basically like a mini-med school. I highly recommend it, and if you choose to participate, take it somewhat seriously - you'll get more out of it.

Do you guys know any med students that chose to live at home and commute into the city each day? I know some friends planning on doing this, and I have given it some thought. Sure I'd save a ton of money, but is the money really worth that. Will it be a huge hassle and time consuming to drive in and out every day for things (approx 35 min)? I also worry that it be somewhat isolating to live so far.

Do you guys know any med students that chose to live at home and commute into the city each day? I know some friends planning on doing this, and I have given it some thought. Sure I'd save a ton of money, but is the money really worth that. Will it be a huge hassle and time consuming to drive in and out every day for things (approx 35 min)? I also worry that it be somewhat isolating to live so far.

All of your noted concerns are valid, but really this is something that's very very individual. Its worth it to some people and not worth it to others. Pontifex Maximus did this at the beginning of M1 but quickly moved in closer because (I think) commuting was too big a hassle for him. Others live at home for MS1&2 to save money but move in closer once MS3 starts and you can expect some early hospital hours (as early as 4 or 5am on some rotations) as well as late hospital hours. Others like MSK live farther out (though MSK does not live at home) for all of school just because they prefer not to live in Baltimore or for whatever reason. The majority of students live closer. But I think the biggest point for you is that since you would be living at home (and presumably not bound by a lease) you can try living at home and move in after a few weeks or couple months if you find its not workable for you. I think PM would tell you that it was a huge hassle for him to move during school, but it was worth it to him in the end. If I'm not mistaken, he's on Shock Trauma right now so he might not read this or respond for a bit but I'm sure he'll put his $0.02 in at some point.

Also, note that the student garage is $4/day. This adds up (though not as much as rent, obviously). Consider Lexington Rooftop Garage for ~$30/month if you end up commuting. I think that's where MSK parks.

Yeah, commuting is an annoyance for me. I moved in right before the first Anatomy exam, and that wasn't a mistake at allllllll.

Right.

Regardless, I still find it worthwhile. Plenty of people commute, and its fine if you don't mind it. For 3rd year, living close is pretty much invaluable. My roommate moved just for this and next year. For some of these rotations, you get in so early and/or leave so late that the less time you spend not relaxing is just painful.

LS is right though - moving outside of summer sucks - the selection is limited and the roommate possibilities even moreso.

Either way though - its personal. For me, being able to leave after class and nap or not have to commute when im getting in before 6am is important. Worth the money for sure.

Thanks guys for all your help! I def have a better perspective on it all now!

hey MS,

about the $30 commuter parking, the website says you can't get one until you have a UMB card at the reduced price. Do they sell out before the school year starts, or should I not be concerned and just get one when I can?

I wanted to let everyone know that I withdrew from UMD today. Hopefully that opens up a spot for one of you guys on the ambiguous post-interview hold list.

Also, thanks, LW, LS, MSK, PM, and RW for all of your help and assistance on this thread. You have been more helpful than you know. Good luck!!! :luck:

No problem, rplyler1. Congrats on Georgetown. I'm sure you'll love it there. I went to grad school at GU - the medical school faculty is absolutely wonderful, and DC is a great place to live. I most likely would have gone there had I not gotten into my state school.

Best of luck to you.

Not sure how many of the current MS2's read this thread, but if any of you are looking for flashcards for Step 1, I have 5 sets I'm looking to get rid of. I have 2 sets of pharmacology cards, a set of micro cards, a set of biochem/molecular bio cards, and a set of pathophys cards. $20/each or all of them for $80 (I bought them off a 2009er for $100 last year - he used them religiously for Step 1 studying and just matched in Neurosurg, for what its worth). So, PM me if interested. :)

What books/supplies do you guys recommend for the Medicine rotation?

What books/supplies do you guys recommend for the Medicine rotation?

Step Up to Medicine. I wish I had used it for the shelf. I really shot myself in the foot by not reading it beforehand. You'll need a pocket guide like Pocket Medicine or Care of the Medical Patient (I used the latter). The MKSAP questions are indispensable, too. If you want my copy of MKSAP 3, I'll sell it to you. I did Qs from MKSAP 3 and 4. I heard that case files is good. Don't go overboard - just get 2 or 3 resources and finish them. You'll learn a lot during your inpatient rotations just from having to present patients, read/present topics and journal articles, etc.

Also, throw out any projectiles, sharp objects, or long cords that you may have lying around in your house - this will dissaude you from the inevitable suicide attempts that ensue during inpatient medicine. Easily my second least-favorite rotation of 3rd year. Second only to neurology, which, if you read my earlier post, you will realize that means a lot.

thanks for the reply, why was it so bad? i have it first. yuck :(. speaking of neuro, i have a wedding to go to thats out of town during that rotation. how flexible are they with letting us take a few days off? and by out of town, i mean out of the country :).

I know this is a **highly** variable question based on the individual, but how many hours, do you think the average Maryland student studies a day? <4, 4-6, 6-8, >8 hours?

Just checking in to let everyone know that I've decided to withdraw. It's been a tough decision to turn Maryland down, as it was one of my dream schools at the beginning of the cycle, but I think that because of financial reasons and recent developments in my personal life VCU is the better option for me.

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful advice and I'm sad that I won't be joining you next year. I wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavors! :)

Can't wait to be joining you guys in August!!

Question on anyone recently accepted: did you do anything more than submit the FAFSA to Maryland? Apparently there are other forms I have to complete and send to the office but I don't know how much this will hold me up/how expedient the Financial Aid office is. I also don't have a UMB ID yet, so I'm not sure what to do about the forms that need it...guess I'll call tomorrow.

Can't wait to be joining you guys in August!!

Question on anyone recently accepted: did you do anything more than submit the FAFSA to Maryland? Apparently there are other forms I have to complete and send to the office but I don't know how much this will hold me up/how expedient the Financial Aid office is. I also don't have a UMB ID yet, so I'm not sure what to do about the forms that need it...guess I'll call tomorrow.

I just filled out FAFSA mainly. There was a professional school scholarship for MD residents that you could file in March, but if you didn't already you've missed the deadline. I'm not sure what other forms you are referring to....

If it is the loan stuff,etc....you can't really fill those out til they give you an award offer to the best of my knowledge.

Good luck.see you in august

They're just Borrower Notifaction forms or something or other...can't remember but hopefully because I submitted my FAFSA in February I'll still be considered for institutional grants. Financial Aid office didn't sound too sure about it when I went to talk with them yesterday.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

They're just Borrower Notifaction forms or something or other...can't remember but hopefully because I submitted my FAFSA in February I'll still be considered for institutional grants. Financial Aid office didn't sound too sure about it when I went to talk with them yesterday.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Unfortunately, the staffing in the financial aid office is NOT one of the positive aspects of Maryland. I think this was said a few months back, but just to reiterate: don't trust anything you hear from someone in financial aid unless that person is Patricia Scott. She is the medical school liaison there, assigned to us specifically, and she is a financial aid goddess.

But you are correct, there are no other forms at this time. At some point you'll need to send in the notification of other expected aid form, but I haven't even sent in mine yet for 4th year. Anything else will be listed on your SIMS page when you get access.

This question I guess is geared more towards the 3rd/4th years. I'm a "visiting student" this summer (I'm between M1 and M2), and will be working/shadowing in Shock Trauma, mostly with ortho. I've obtained my ID and have it linked to scrub access so I can use the scrub machine in the locker room . . . only problem is, I have no idea where the locker room is! Is there a separate male and female one, or is it all just one room? (I'm a male, in case that wasn't apparent).

Thanks for your help.

If you're looking for the trauma locker rooms, they are right next to the security office where you get your ID. The female one is right across from the office, and the male ones are just to the right as you exit the office. It says Trauma lounge or something like that - you'll see tables and couches in there. If you go in, the male locker room is on the right. Hope that helped.

Thanks Pontifex! That's exactly what I'm looking for. So I go through the Lounge, then within the lounge there should be another door into the men's locker room?

This question I guess is geared more towards the 3rd/4th years. I'm a "visiting student" this summer (I'm between M1 and M2), and will be working/shadowing in Shock Trauma, mostly with ortho. I've obtained my ID and have it linked to scrub access so I can use the scrub machine in the locker room . . . only problem is, I have no idea where the locker room is! Is there a separate male and female one, or is it all just one room? (I'm a male, in case that wasn't apparent).

Thanks for your help.

Out of curiosity, what is it you will be doing this summer?

I will be declining my offer so hopefully someone gets off the waitlist! Also, should I be declining via email or should I do this with fax?

Has anyone received anything other than the initial acceptance packet in the mail? I just want to make sure I have everything squared away.

Thanks!

Has anyone received anything other than the initial acceptance packet in the mail? I just want to make sure I have everything squared away.

Thanks!

I got an email maybe a week ago asking to send all of my transcripts again. The amcas ones dont count, as the school doesn't have the originals. I think it said by July 1 for the sake of registration.

Quick question: Should I choose Direct Loans or FFEL Loans? It seems like Direct is the way to go, but I just want to make sure. I've tried calling the Office of Financial Aid about this several times, but the line is constantly busy. I'll keep trying, but was hoping to get some insight here as well. Thanks. :)