University of Maryland 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the info on the CAPP.

Also, my question got drowned out earlier by that questions about drugs.

How exactly does lab fit into the schedule at UMD. Does it take place sometimes during the small group times?

Yes, during anatomy (the first 10 weeks of school) you have lab 10-12 (some days 9-12) but you can feel free to stay as late as you want, or if for some reason you really want to, you can show up at 2am to play with your cadaver. Once anatomy's over at the end of October, 10-12 is filled most days with small group stuff. Every once in a while they'll throw you a bone and have nothing scheduled 10-12.

That's first year. Second year it essentially gets reversed. All the small group stuff that requires attendance is 8-10.

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't anyone want to know about other things (social life, local restaurants and bars, parks, stuff to do during free time), or does everyone just wanna keep talking shop? Classes, housing, money matters, ECs...blah blah. It's very important, don't get me wrong. But don't you guys ever think about anything else? :p

Doesn't anyone want to know about other things (social life, local restaurants and bars, parks, stuff to do during free time), or does everyone just wanna keep talking shop? Classes, housing, money matters, ECs...blah blah. It's very important, don't get me wrong. But don't you guys ever think about anything else? :p

Sure! Are there many student organizations? If so, are any specifically geared toward the performing arts (singing, acting, piano, dance)?

What fun stuff is there to do in Baltimore?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure! Are there many student organizations? If so, are any specifically geared toward the performing arts (singing, acting, piano, dance)?

I can answer this (3rd year student here). There is a group called "Otitis Musica" which is geared towards (surprisingly) music. Mostly there are instrumentalists in the group rather than vocalists, and they perform at least one major concert each year (holiday music in the hospital lobby) and then a few smaller chamber-type performances throughout the year (playing at departmental parties, school functions, etc). There used to be an a cappella group...I'm not sure if they're still in existence, but you're more than welcome to start it up again (or start a new group!) if you choose to come to Maryland.

Other fun things - during first year there are usually a few students that get together and sing a song for the class during anatomy to demonstrate how the vocal cords work. Plus every year your class puts on some sort of variety show ("freshman follies", "sophomore sillies", etc). People write songs, dance, act out skits, and it's lots of fun. If you play a portable instrument (flute or violin come to mind) some hospital wards LOVE to have you come and play for the patients to cheer them up. This isn't formally organized, but definitely something to take advantage of if you're so inclined.

In addition, Baltimore city and the surrounding area have lots of community performance groups that you can join. I'm in an orchestra, and it's definitely do-able the first two years (with class 8-12), and partially do-able 3rd year depending on which rotation you're on (and your call-schedule). ;)

When I last counted, there were 40+ different medical student groups, and this doesn't even include university-wide groups and student government. Most of the med school groups (obviously) have a medical bent - AMA, AMSA, SNMA; different specialty interest groups like IMIG/EMIG/SIG/FMIG, etc who host an array of lunchtime talks and procedure nights throughout the school year. There are also many service oriented groups, like healthy choices for baltimore and mountain manor, which are also somewhat "medical" in that they strive to promote healthy lifestyles. There is a musical performance group called otitis musica, which I believe is mainly instrumental. There was, in the past, an a cappela group, but idk if they have had any membership in the past couple of years. Otitis musica put together several concerts that I believe may have involved some singing parts. I also have a couple of classmates who participated in musical groups/orchestras outside of UMB. Aside from OM, I'm not certain if the medical school itself has a performance group, but there may be a university-wide group and/or groups in other schools (law, etc) that you might consider participating in. Also, it is fairly easy to start your own student group - you can request funding from student council as well as USGA.

What fun stuff is there to do in Baltimore?

Different strokes. What are you into?

I like to hit up Federal Hill once in a while for happy hour or dinner/dancing at one or more local watering holes/meat markets, but I'm getting a bit past the age where that kinda thing is novel anymore. :) But there's Magerk's and Mad River for those who haven't outgrown their frat boy/sorostitute phases, and Thirsty Dog is always a fun place to start/end the evening (decent, cheap beer and great pub-type food). Besides, everyone needs to go out and get embarrasingly intoxicated once a year - might as well do it at a place that plays absolutely tragic dance music and gets way too crowded with yuppies and underage uncoordinated binge drinkers who attempt to sing along to the latest hiphop joint being blasted over the speakers and obviously don't know any of the words. Curiously, these are the same people who then, 2 minutes later, are furiously jamming on their air guitar to Bon Jovi and screaming all the words to "Livin' on a Prayer" (although I swear half the people in the room weren't even alive when that song hit the airwaves).

(Don't lie. We all have been "That guy" (or gal) at least once. And if you're not inebriated enough to participate in the revelry, at least it's great people-watching.)

There's a fantastic art museum called the Walters in Mount Vernon that's free (or at least it used to be?). Mount Vernon also boasts a really fun environment that's funky and unique without feeling as trendy/yuppie as Fed Hill. The basilica is very beautiful and a cool place to visit, and the entire Mount Vernon area is filled with amazing little shops and restaurants/bars/clubs like Red Maple, Brewer's Art, and The Helmand.

There's always the Inner Harbor, which I feel is pretty overrated. There's the typical fare - M&S grille, Cheesecake Factory, Hooters :), and of course the aquarium. There are better places to try across the water and also further west. My favorite places are Little Havana, Bay Cafe, and a whole strip of places in Fells Point. Across the street from the Harbor is PowerPlant Live!, which, IMNSHO, is only fun in the summer. There is a sort-of cul-de-sac of restaurant/bar/clubs, with a grandstand in the center, where, in the summer they host live shows.

There's a comedy club near the University. There is also the BSO and plenty of other local orchestras if that's your thing. The There are lots of smaller live venues that host everything from reggae to zydeco, but you'll have to consult the local paper for those specifics. The Baltimore Opera recently bankrupted, which is unfortunate because the Lyric Opera House is something everyone should experience at least once. There are not many large live venues in Baltimore, because there's not a lot of space. There's a theater called the Hippodrome (actually, I think it was recently renamed) that hosts a lot of big-name performances. There are a couple of small movie theaters (my favorite being the Charles) that show more indy-type flicks. Most blockbuster-type movie theaters are a decent drive away - Arundel Mills is a good place to escape to in order to see the latest Bond- or X-Men-type "big-screen" releases.

Everyone needs to go to at least one O's game and then go to Pickle's afterwards. Tickets are $6 with student ID on Fridays and although the seats are out in Center Field, the view is pretty decent. There's always Ravens stadium in the fall/winter if you are so inclined. My favorite sports bar is Ropewalk Tavern in Federal Hill, but that's mostly because that's the official meeting spot of the unofficial U of Michigan alumni club of Baltimore - but seriously, they show lots of games and the ambiance beats the pants off of a place like ESPN zone in the Harbor.

If you're an outdoorsy person, there are some relatively decent places to go around here, although not too many :( I recommend going to Fort McHenry if you are a history buff. There's Centennial Lake in Columbia, which has a 2+-mile circle around the lake that's beautiful and nice for running, walking, or rollerblading. I also like Patapsco State Park, which is a short car-ride away and has some good hiking and running/walking trails. Federal Hill has a park, and there's always Patterson Park (I think there's a bbq there during 1st year?). Lots of our classmates participate in rec league sports like soccer and basketball. You can sign up for these through the University or join a community rec league.

Anyway, hopefully that'll give you guys a running start in terms of a social scene in Baltimore :) I suggest also meeting people outside of med school - through an alumni club, church, rec sports team, etc. Also remember that DC is only a 45-minute trip, and Philly and NYC are also pretty close. So there's plenty of opportunity for road trips!

Thank you SuzieQ and LadyWolverine for those responses! That information will definitely help out should I decide to attend Maryland.

This is my favorite class thread of the schools I've been accepted to. You guys are so helpful and it seems to be the most active! :)

I may have already asked this once, but what's the deal with cars? Are they practical? Are there any places to park? Do they become more important in the 3rd and 4th years when you have to do off-site rotations? What percentage of students have them?

Thanks.

That's first year. Second year it essentially gets reversed. All the small group stuff that requires attendance is 8-10.

Maybe Im no fun ladywolverine (I am though!)...but with all that great info about what to do in bmore on the board...perhaps I am once again free to ask a curriculum related question...

Roger, or anyone else for that matter, do you mind going into more detail about the line I quoted above?

Last edited:
Maybe Im no fun ladywolverine (I am though!)...but with all that great info about what to do in bmore on the board...perhaps I am once again free to ask a curriculum related question...

Roger, or anyone else for that matter, do you mind going into more detail about the line I quoted above?

Correct me if I am wrong (since I do not go to UMD, yet), but my understanding was that during 1st year you have lecture from 8-10 and then something else (small group, lab, etc.) from 10-12.

During 2nd year it is reversed. You have small group, etc. from 8-10 and then lecture from 10-12.

first: question about FAFSA/fin aid
anyone still confused over whether or not it matters if you include parental info? when i called and at the session on interview day they say it isn't needed and it won't hurt/help to include it, bt on the website it says:
"Tips for FAFSA Completion​
Are you in a health professions program (dentistry, medicine or pharmacy)?
There are low interest loans and some grants available to health professions students; however, both student and parental information are required by law in order to determine student eligibility. If you would like to be considered for these awards, you must complete step four of the FAFSA."

any thoughts?

second: i live in Baltimore currently. it's grown on me a lot (been here just about a year). i live in Mt. Vernon and plan to stay there - great neighborhood. so--i can answer questions on cultural stuff/nightlife/etc too

website says:
"Tips for FAFSA Completion​
Are you in a health professions program (dentistry, medicine or pharmacy)?
There are low interest loans and some grants available to health professions students; however, both student and parental information are required by law in order to determine student eligibility. If you would like to be considered for these awards, you must complete step four of the FAFSA."

The school's financial aid office said this is left over from last year. Those loans either no longer exist, or are no longer requiring that information.

I called financial aid and they said if you are financially independent, you do NOT need to include your parent's info.

However, if you are including other schools, you might need to include it (e.g. Penn State asks for parental info if you want to be considered for university scholarships).

what do you guys think of having a dog during med school? my friends who are in programs with 8-5 schedule say it's a bad idea... but i'm hoping that since maryland has shorter days it would be more feasible. any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called financial aid and they said if you are financially independent, you do NOT need to include your parent's info.

However, if you are including other schools, you might need to include it (e.g. Penn State asks for parental info if you want to be considered for university scholarships).

right. :) thanks.

at this point, i'm like 99.9% set on Maryland, so I am not going to include it. but...does anyone know if you can do a "correction" to include parental info later? or is that not allowed?

I was 26 when I started medical school, had been financially independent for 5+ years, had a job and my own insurance, owned my car and home...and I STILL included my parents' tax/income information on my FAFSA. While UMB itself doesn't require it, my understanding is that, in order to qualify for certain scholarships and grants, you need to have it on there. It may have something to do with the socioeconomic bracket you grew up in, and it may have to do with which state your parents pay taxes in. Regardless, I don't think it hurts to have it on there. My parents haven't contributed to my living expenses or educational costs since college, so it's not like the FAFSA folks included their income when figuring out my EFC - independent is independent. It may have had a role in the kind of grant/scholarship support that I received, however.

Correct me if I am wrong (since I do not go to UMD, yet), but my understanding was that during 1st year you have lecture from 8-10 and then something else (small group, lab, etc.) from 10-12.

During 2nd year it is reversed. You have small group, etc. from 8-10 and then lecture from 10-12.

This is correct. During the 1st block of first year (Structure and Development), anatomy and histo lab is built in to the 10-12 time slot. After S&D is over, the 10-12 slot is used for small groups for the remaining blocks, which is a combination of PBL/cases/problem sets and other labs. Sometimes you will have mini-quizzes after the small groups to prove that you were there.

During 2nd year, small groups (which are mostly PBL/discussion groups, although there are some labs during micro/immuno) have mandatory attendance and you need to be there on time every day to sign in. You are only allowed a certain number of excused absences per block (I believe it averages out to one per month). You can use your absences whenever you need them, with no questions asked, but you will be penalized if you exceed them. There will be sporadic days when you don't have small group, and you can sleep in or study before lecture instead.

You will have ICM once a week in the afternoons, typically from 1-5 or so.

Otherwise, your time is your own.

I was 26 when I started medical school, had been financially independent for 5+ years, had a job and my own insurance, owned my car and home...and I STILL included my parents' tax/income information on my FAFSA. While UMB itself doesn't require it, my understanding is that, in order to qualify for certain scholarships and grants, you need to have it on there. It may have something to do with the socioeconomic bracket you grew up in, and it may have to do with which state your parents pay taxes in. Regardless, I don't think it hurts to have it on there. My parents haven't contributed to my living expenses or educational costs since college, so it's not like the FAFSA folks included their income when figuring out my EFC - independent is independent. It may have had a role in the kind of grant/scholarship support that I received, however.

I just called and they said that the scholarship/loans that required that information are no longer offered to students in the medical program so there is no need to put parental info. So, I guess it comes down to personal pref.

Also, LadyWolvering: am i thinking of someone else, or had you applied/received senatorial and delegate scholarships? i'm in the process of applying and would love any advice

I just called and they said that the scholarship/loans that required that information are no longer offered to students in the medical program so there is no need to put parental info. So, I guess it comes down to personal pref.

Also, LadyWolvering: am i thinking of someone else, or had you applied/received senatorial and delegate scholarships? i'm in the process of applying and would love any advice

Eh, I'm going to have to put my parental info in for other schools anyway... I'm guessing if schools don't need the info then they'll just ignore it.

My only comment on this whole topic of financial aid is this (and I've struggled to put in delicately): you should really only speak with Patricia Scott in the financial aid office. Suffice to say that many people have had problems with the financial aid office and for the most part they are never solved until they are brought to the attention of Ms. Scott, who is the individual specifically assigned to the medical school. When Ms. Scott gets involved, things get solved in a flash. She is universally praised among my classmates and most of us have given up dealing with anyone else in the financial aid office. So basically, I never believe anything the financial aid office says unless it comes from her.

My only comment on this whole topic of financial aid is this (and I've struggled to put in delicately): you should really only speak with Patricia Scott in the financial aid office. Suffice to say that many people have had problems with the financial aid office and for the most part they are never solved until they are brought to the attention of Ms. Scott, who is the individual specifically assigned to the medical school. When Ms. Scott gets involved, things get solved in a flash. She is universally praised among my classmates and most of us have given up dealing with anyone else in the financial aid office. So basically, I never believe anything the financial aid office says unless it comes from her.

good advice.
she confirmed the information i got from the others and was really super nice to deal with.

Does anyone have experience/can put me in touch w/ someone who knows about the in-state status appeal process? I have lived and worked full-time in Maryland for the past 2 years, paid state taxes, and registered to vote on time--but I got my Maryland license in November, two months shy of their 12-month before classes begin rule. As a result, my initial petition for in-state status was denied. It's so frustrating that 2 months could result in such a huge tuition difference... :scared::scared: I was hoping that all the other factors would outweigh the late license.. please feel free to PM me with any advice/insight.. thanks in advance!

Does anyone have experience/can put me in touch w/ someone who knows about the in-state status appeal process? I have lived and worked full-time in Maryland for the past 2 years, paid state taxes, and registered to vote on time--but I got my Maryland license in November, two months shy of their 12-month before classes begin rule. As a result, my initial petition for in-state status was denied. It's so frustrating that 2 months could result in such a huge tuition difference... :scared::scared: I was hoping that all the other factors would outweigh the late license.. please feel free to PM me with any advice/insight.. thanks in advance!

You should re-apply in July/August when you get here. Reason why is that by then, you'll have the license for more than 12 months, you should be eligible to re-apply, and you'll still get the benefits of in-state status if they accept you at that time. You may still pay out of state at the very beginning just to get started, but they will reimburse you the money if you are accepted for in-state later in the summer (and you can just either give the additional loan money back or use it to pay for spring semester). Just make sure to apply before the August deadline. Hope that helps!

i'm also interested in the apartment situation. what neighborhoods are within walking distance? where do the majority of students live (walking distance or not)? and what kind of prices can you expect to pay? ive been looking on craigslist and it seems like $7-800 is the low end for a 1-2 BR place. also, how do most students get to school and is there parking for students and how much is a permit?

You should re-apply in July/August when you get here. Reason why is that by then, you'll have the license for more than 12 months, you should be eligible to re-apply, and you'll still get the benefits of in-state status if they accept you at that time. You may still pay out of state at the very beginning just to get started, but they will reimburse you the money if you are accepted for in-state later in the summer (and you can just either give the additional loan money back or use it to pay for spring semester). Just make sure to apply before the August deadline. Hope that helps!

If this person got their license in November, how will they have had it for more than 12 months in August? It'll have only been 9 months at that point.

What are some good neighborhoods that are within walking distance? What about Ridgely's Delight?

define: "good neighborhood" and "walking distance" :D

just kidding, chad. but seriously, walking distance could be very subjective. i consider myself to be within walking distance if I had to walk from Mt. Vernon. --it'd be like 20 minutes. But, I'd probably only do it during daylight if I was alone. I'm most likely going to stay in Mt.V and do a combo of walking/biking and lightrail. i have a friend who lives way north and lightrails and she has very few complaints.

Ridgely's Delight is really close to UMB, and I've heard okay things about Barre Circle from a realtor I was talking with.

Baltimore has so many neighborhoods ( I think it's like 115 or 215, I always forget) and each has it's own character. I'd definitely recommend visiting potential ones to see how you like the feel of them, especially if you are like me and don't feel the need to be across the street from the school.

i'm also interested in the apartment situation. what neighborhoods are within walking distance? where do the majority of students live (walking distance or not)? and what kind of prices can you expect to pay? ive been looking on craigslist and it seems like $7-800 is the low end for a 1-2 BR place. also, how do most students get to school and is there parking for students and how much is a permit?

In terms of parking, you can check out this site:
http://www.parking.umaryland.edu/

During my interview day, I remember the 1st years talking about housing, etc. I got the impression that most students live close to the campus and pay $700-800 per month (exactly what you are seeing). Sadly I do not know much about the housing options in that part of the city.

However if you did want to live further away from campus, there are plenty of wonderful options in a variety of price ranges. As amp3r5and was saying, there is Mount Vernon which is in a great part of the city. It tends to attract a much younger crowd and is close to a bunch of great restaurants, bars, museums, etc. However my experience is that Mount Vernon can get a little pricey depending on what you want. There is also shared housing that is more affordable. Mount Vernon is only about 1-1.5 miles from campus and is located very close to a Light Rail stop.

There is also Charles Village, located about a mile north of Mount Vernon and about 3 miles from campus. This is where the Johns Hopkins Undergraduate campus is. It has some very historic neighborhoods and is a pretty nice place to live (I am biased though - I own/ rent-out a place in CV). Housing prices in CV differ depending on where you stay and what kind of place you stay in. However prices in this area tend to be slightly cheaper. It is not uncommon to find a shared townhouse where you would get a private room for about $500+ per month. There is a shuttle that runs from JHU campus to Penn Station every 5 mins in the morning where you can catch the Light Rail to UMD's campus. You could obviously also drive.

There are also a bunch of great neighborhoods in Federal Hill, which is on the other side of the Inner Harbor. Basically there are a bunch of great options for housing in Baltimore. It just depends on how far away from the campus you want to live.

I only have a couple minutes but I'll throw in my two pennies.

I live in Ridgely's and love it. Right by the school, decent houses, and decent prices (I pay $600/month for a place that's slightly bigger than a few of my friends' places in Ridgely's who pay $700+/month, so it varies depending on landlord I guess). It's essentially townhouses/row homes, quiet neighborhood that just happens to be sandwiched in between Camden yards/295 and MLK/395. As far as I'm concerned it's safe as can be, but I'm also not a 90lb girl, so your mileage may vary. Actually I always considered it one of the safest places to live around campus, although a friend of mine found out I lived in Ridgely's a few months ago and her first reaction was "isn't there a lot of crime there?" Not that I've seen, but maybe I'm not looking. The worst thing I've seen is someone's car broken into. That tends to only happen when you leave valuables in plain sight, which is against common sense in any city.

Anyway, I have plenty of friends who live in Ridgely's too, and there are a lot of other Maryland professional students (law/dental/PT) here too, as well as other young college grads, and traditional families. Easily within walking distance to class (~5 minutes). Parking is on-street (a few places have their own lots but I wouldn't count on it) and it's cheap - $20 for a year pass. I've really never had trouble finding parking, but occasionally it can be bad on game weekends.

As for parking at school, there's a parking garage on campus that people who live farther away use. Not sure of the cost. But it exists.

Several people live in Federal Hill, which - like rplyler said - is over on the other side of the harbor. I know one or two people who actually walk from there to class, although it really depends on how much you feel like walking. The rest drive or ride a bike.

LW can probably give you the rundown on living west of MLK, but the short of it is that it's less expensive housing than Ridgely's, although some people aren't a fan of the area. It's really not bad, although the farther west you go the less that statement holds I suppose. But like living in a city anywhere, don't be an idiot and you generally should be fine.

There's also plenty of apartment complexes in the area, which are a popular choice, at least for the first year. Averages price, like you guys mentioned, is about $800/month, unless you're looking for your own place, which might bump that up to around $1,000/month. It'll vary, and you can find the places online. Some places are older, and some places are brand new. The Zenith is great if you hate having money in your bank account and love feeling like you live in the Ritz-Carlton. Everyone I know who lives there now is planning on moving out next year, simply because of the cost. Right now I believe singles go for $1400/month, and that's the discount they gave people to entice them to live there since it just opened up this year. The price goes up next year but I'm not sure by how much.

Anyway, there are plenty of options to fit your needs (apartment building vs. house, near campus vs. farther away). As you move away from campus the housing tends to get less expensive. But it's certainly not as expensive around here as it is in NYC or DC.

This was a really rapid fire random post, if you guys have more specific questions I'm sure I or someone else could organize some thoughts better later.

Thanks for talking about Ridgely's - if I end up going to Maryland I'll probably send you a PM to ask you about it. I visited the neighborhood and I really liked it, and the rent seems pretty reasonable.

If this person got their license in November, how will they have had it for more than 12 months in August? It'll have only been 9 months at that point.

oh right, i didnt read that closely, too busy doing 3rd year stuff...

My best advice then would be to re-apply in Dec/Jan of next year then for January's deadline. You may pay out of state tuition for a semester (which still sucks), but it will presumably only be a semester.

I received my acceptance last week :D really happy about this, I really liked the school.

Not sure if anyone has already asked this (and sorry for the tedious repetition of housing questions), but how feasible is it to live closer to D.C.? How long would the commute be and would you guys recommend living that far?

I received my acceptance last week :D really happy about this, I really liked the school.

Not sure if anyone has already asked this (and sorry for the tedious repetition of housing questions), but how feasible is it to live closer to D.C.? How long would the commute be and would you guys recommend living that far?

i wouldn't recommend this. on a good day, (and depending on where in DC you are and how fast you drive), your ride from where the campus is could be as little as 35minutes. but, on a bad day and with traffic etc, you are looking at 1-2 hours. i do the commute once a week for a band i play with and it gets to be tiresome. i can't imagine doing it more than 3 times a week

I have a few classmates who commute from the DC area, even as 3rd years. It's doable, and you will be going against traffic for the most part. Personally, I think these people are nuts. But most of them have a reason (e.g. live with family, owned home prior to med school and didn't want to sell, spouse/SO/friend who works in DC, prefers DC to Baltimore enough to weather the commute, etc.)

If you live in Silver Spring or College Park, it's pretty much a straight shot up 95, which will take you about 25 minutes to reach campus if there's minimal traffic. Some people choose to live in Columbia, Catonsville, or other assorted suburbs that are further south.

Do many of your classmates get involved in research? I'd really like to do some summer after first year.

Do many of your classmates get involved in research? I'd really like to do some summer after first year.

Yes. Most of us have been involved in research of some sort during our medical student career. I did a lot of basic science research before starting med school, and thus only felt the need to do 1 summer of clinical research between 1st and 2nd year (an ICU/critical care/pulm + ID project). LS spent 1 month at UMB and 1 month in Malawi (all expenses paid) doing malaria research during that same summer. PM I believe did an anesthesia externship, which was more like shadowing/clinical clerkship-type stuff and not so much research - please correct me if I'm wrong - but still another summer option, especially if you think you might be interested in a particular specialty and want more direct exposure. And MSK did something PM&R related - was that research, or more like an externship as well?

We have classmates who are involved in both basic ("bench") science, straight clinical research, and everything else in between. The great thing about Maryland is that the faculty is very approachable, and they really want to get students involved in their projects. You can do anything from CT surg to ENT to ID to public health, and you aren't just limited to the med school. There's an entire graduate school, the Institute for Human Virology, and the Biopark. There are also research programs established at other affiliated hospitals, and even non-affiliated hospitals. For example, I chose to spend my research summer at Union Memorial Hospital, which is a UMMS affiliate. We have classmates did research at Hopkins, while others went out-of-state, to the NIH, or to various institutes in DC. Some chose to start a research project in 1st year and continue with it throughout med school (some have been very productive in terms of publications), while others discovered that they wanted to do research later on, and chose to take a year off or use an elective month or two to tackle a project.

At Maryland, you will have access to any sort of biomedical research you could possibly dream up.

Sounds great! Thanks for the response. I'm glad to hear that because the snapshot I got on my interview day didn't make it seem like most students participated in research. It's good to know that there's tons of options and students can go to different places like NIH, Hopkins, etc. to do research also. Do many students get fellowships/some kind of support?

For the most part yes, although funding this year has been particularly scant because of the economy (this is not exclusive to Maryland at all). The school can help fund most projects (something like $2500 towards it) and they also encourage/help you to find outside funding.

And MSK did something PM&R related - was that research, or more like an externship as well?

It was actually both, and it was the most balla **** ever! Three points!

What LW said is very true. Research is everywhere and there is certainly no shortage faculty willing to take on med students to help out. Your access to research is much broader if you are willing to do it for free, but if you need cash (which most of us sure do), youll either have to take a second job, or find research funding on your own, as its rare that faculty will have funding for you.

Do many students get fellowships/some kind of support?

Most do, but it can be hard to find in my experience. My externship/research fortunately gave me a stipend as it was in Chicago. I suggest if you come here, there generally isnt a huge problem so long as you start looking early, like around the end of your 1st/beginning of your 2nd semester. My classmates may correct me if I'm wrong, it could be that I was the only one that had a problem finding dough. I suspect its not much different at other schools, as im sure funding is shrinking because of the economy. Just something to keep in the back of your mind though.

Last edited:
MSK, I also had a problem finding $. I originally applied with an EM project in mind, because you-know-who (think OSR) pushed me really hard to apply for one of those UMB research grants, even though it was only days before the deadline when I met with him (I was told, pretty much, that it was a sure thing). As a matter of fact, the 2 PIs that I was going to work for desperately wanted a student so bad that they wrote the entire proposal in 1 day, and I signed it and sent it off to OSR. I found out a week later that I did not receive the research grant, and it wasn't because the proposal was poor. It was because there weren't enough research grants for the number of students that were being pushed to apply. I was a little miffed.

Luckily, I had Union Memorial as my "close second" choice. This program was also very fairly stipended, and I split most of my time between research (mostly chart review in my boss's office) and shadowing/clinical work in the ID department. I did not end up publishing my work (not yet, at least), but had I been more aggressive, it definitely would have been an option. So, it's possible to take on a summer project and end up with publish-able results - many of my summer coworkers (and our classmates in general) have publications under their belts from research they conducted during that summer. Many of them decided to keep going, and are still working on those projects today (yes, even during 3rd year there is time).

Shameless plug for those planning for summer research: The Union Memorial Hospital summer research program is very well-established and gets its funds from MedStar (who owns the hospital), so they didn't have a problem offering us stipends. We were also permitted to attend morning report (very cool case presentations), noon conference (always had free lunch), and weekly EKG sessions with Dr. Ferguson (the chief of medicine, who happened to be my ICM preceptor, and is an absolute phenom when it comes to teaching EKG reading. By the end of the summer, he had us interpreting EKGs better than most 3rd years.) On top of that, I got to go to ID clinic and/or round with the ID team almost every afternoon. The stipend wasn't exactly a ton of money, but it was definitely enough to help pay my mortgage for the summer and I had a little spending money on top of that. The program itself is supposed to last 8 weeks, but I extended mine to 10 weeks because I loved it so much. /end shameless promotion

So now that I've been rejected from Columbia :)() there's a pretty significant chance I'm going to be attending Maryland next year :)hardy:)! I am getting really excited and I can't wait to meet all of you!

I still can't believe I was accepted out-of-state. Maryland was my first choice at the outset of the cycle and I feel very blessed to have been offered an acceptance. :biglove:

So now that I've been rejected from Columbia :)() there's a pretty significant chance I'm going to be attending Maryland next year :)hardy:)! I am getting really excited and I can't wait to meet all of you!

I still can't believe I was accepted out-of-state. Maryland was my first choice at the outset of the cycle and I feel very blessed to have been offered an acceptance. :biglove:
too bad about columbia --- but yay for being at Maryland

I am actually applying for 2014 but wanted to get feedback from you guys. I am technically out of state, as I have lived in florida for the past 5 years but my I grew up in Maryland and my whole family lives there. In addition, both my great grandfather and gradfather went to Maryland SOM and my grandfather also also taught for the SOM. Do you think these things will be taken into consideration being that I am an out of state applicant and Maryland prefers in state students? Thanks in advance.

I am actually applying for 2014 but wanted to get feedback from you guys. I am technically out of state, as I have lived in florida for the past 5 years but my I grew up in Maryland and my whole family lives there. In addition, both my great grandfather and gradfather went to Maryland SOM and my grandfather also also taught for the SOM. Do you think these things will be taken into consideration being that I am an out of state applicant and Maryland prefers in state students? Thanks in advance.

I would assume it definitely wouldn't hurt your chances. I'd say it might be pretty helpful, but some of the current med students could give you a better answer. I know on a lot of the secondaries they asked if you had any relatives that were affiliated or alumni of the school. Not sure if Maryland's had this though.

I read somewhere that there is a shuttle runs around downtown Baltimore. Does anyone have any more information about this? I'll be living in Mount Vernon and was wondering if I could catch the shuttle. My girlfriend will be going to Hopkins so we're compromising and getting a place in between the two schools ;)

I read somewhere that there is a shuttle runs around downtown Baltimore. Does anyone have any more information about this? I'll be living in Mount Vernon and was wondering if I could catch the shuttle. My girlfriend will be going to Hopkins so we're compromising and getting a place in between the two schools ;)

I am not sure about a shuttle that runs between Mt. Vernon and Maryland. However I do know that there is a shuttle that picks up at Mt. Vernon and runs to Hopkins Med. There is also a light rail stop in Mt. Vernon that can drop you off a few blocks from Maryland's campus. I would also assume that there is an MTA bus that picks up in the Mt. Vernon area and runs toward Maryland Medical (I do not take the MTA, so I am not 100%).

Either way, Mt. Vernon is prob. a pretty good compromise for the two of you. It is also a really fun, upbeat area. Good luck!!!

*sniff *sniff, home sweet home. Congrats guys! Enjoy Maryland...hopefully I can make it back for residency.

Ok, done highjacking the thread.