University of Maryland 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got accepted last night. Actually I got a call from Dean Foxwell at about 7:00 last night letting me know that I was accepted. Unless I receive a ridiculous offer from another school, I will be attending Maryland in the fall. I'm really excited about attending such a great school!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

While it is important to be prepared for the preclinical years, I realize now that there really can't be much variation from school to school in terms of what is taught - we all have to learn the same stuff and take the same test (Step 1). Most of what you learn in the first two years of medical school will be self-taught. While the 8-12 schedule is definitely nice, I don't think it matters that much. You're still going to be spending a lot of time studying. What I think matters more is 3rd year and beyond. The preclinical years now feel sooooo far in the past, and I'm learning a completely new skillset. We build on a lot of stuff we learned in S&D, physiology, neuro, ICM, etc, but it's almost like you completely start over. Therefore, don't put too much stock in 1st and 2nd year stuff when you're looking at schools. It's definitely important, but it's not the end-all-be-all of your entire life that most premeds think it's going to be (I did, too). It goes by in a flash.

If you ever listen to any advice as an applicant to medical school, YOU WANT TO TAKE THIS IN, READ IT AGAIN FIVE TIMES OVER!!!!!!

For those of us who are knee deep in third year and will essentially be done with it soon, I cant emphasize enough how important a good 3rd year is. LW is right, every school says "our students get a 230 on the average on Step 1", which is complete BS. Honestly, every school probably gets around the national average. If too many students are doing poorly, your accreditation is probably gonna leave you soon, so im sure every school teaches years 1 and 2 similarly when it is looked at as a whole.

The money is in your 3rd year. Its when you work the hardest, have the worst hours, and learn the most. Fourth year has sub-I's, but is mostly either vacation time, interview time, or "vacation" time. Ive also been told by several residents that the key to being a good intern is not having other people do your crap, and learn a lot during 3rd year.

What I get annoyed thinking about when i go back to my interviews was that I was actually told by a med student or two not to worry about the clinical years at this point. WELL WHY THE HELL NOT???? Its the meat and potatoes of med school, its where you are expected to play doctor. Find out how 3rd year at each place you're considering is structured.

Some things to consider:

Do you get elective time, when is it, and how much?
What do day to day responsibilities look like third year? Do you act like an intern, or do you shadow all day, everyday? (yes, shadowing at this point shouldnt happen but supposedly does at some schools)
--you can get a sense of this by asking the 4th years that walk you around questions like, "how many patients do you typically carry?" (2-3 for a third year student on any given inpatient rotation is standard) "Do you write notes/orders/get consults yourself on your patients?" "Are you expected to talk about what you would do for all of your patients?" "Do you give talks on topics to your team, present at morning report, or presented at grand rounds?"
--asking simply "do you do a lot?" or "do you have a lot of responsibility?" runs the risk of an "Of Course!" response
Are you given time off (like a month or two) to interview/take Step 2 4th year?
What "core" rotations are you required to take?
How many weeks/months of each core do you have?

I'm not saying 3rd year (and 4th too) is the end all be all, but I find it is so undervalued as an interviewee for a variety of reasons. From my standpoint when I was applying, it was because I was told not to worry about it since it was too far away (bullsh*t, time has passed REALLY quickly), it felt too far away because there was still that matter of getting in, then passing 1st and 2nd year and Step 1, and its more easy to look at and remember the classroom stuff (since you are used to it in/from college or a masters) than it is looking at hospital floors and taking care of patients.

So yeah, I urge you all to consider what you get during your clinical years with the school you go to. I dont feel as though I made a mistake coming to Maryland, I feel like we become as prepared as you're gonna get after graduating. We get a lot of responsibility and also a lot of teaching, plus its sooooo much better than years 1 and 2.

As an aside, from previous posters asking questions, I will tell you honestly that Maryland is not always your best choice depending on circumstances, and it has its flaws, but nothing is perfect. If it comes down to money, take the cheaper school. If it comes down to fit, if money isnt an issue, go with fit. Decide what is most important to you and use that if you have choices. For me, proximity to either my parents and/or gf, fit, and my perceived quality of training were more important than money (all in that order), so Maryland won out. Haven't regretted my choice and never will.

Feel free to ask any more questions, but I had to emphazise this point that LW made because, like I said, I feel like it was undervalued during my interviews (or at least a few of them). Best of luck to everyone.

Last edited:
Some things to consider:

What do day to day responsibilities look like third year? Do you act like an intern, or do you shadow all day, everyday?
What "core" rotations are you required to take?
How many weeks/months of each core do you have?

I will tell you honestly that Maryland is not always your best choice depending on circumstances, and it has its flaws, but nothing is perfect

Would you mind answering these questions with your experience at Maryland in mind? What flaws do you see in Maryland's program?

Thanks for all of the helpful information!

Members don't see this ad :)
PS LW speaks madd truths. Id even suggest getting Bates PE text at the start of first year, as it has some useful things to ask in the History as well. I also found it great for 2nd year ICM-Physical Diagnosis, and attendings in the past have loved the random references of physical exam techniques to increase/decrease the suspicion for a certain diagnosis.

Would you mind answering these questions with your experience at Maryland in mind? What flaws do you see in Maryland's program?

Thanks for all of the helpful information!

Sure can, here's my take on it:

In my opinion, this can be a bit of a flaw in our program. We get NO elective time during our 3rd year, and get 4 months of it fourth year. Why a flaw? Well if you dont know what you want to do when you grow up, you may get to 4th year without trying out very much of specialties like anesthesia, ophtho, derm, radiology, EM, PM&R :)love:).

If you decide that you get a passion during our 3rd year core rotations thats great, but I see some people really havent liked our cores so far and are beginning to get worried about what they are going to end up specializing in.

On a related note, the "core" 3rd year clerkships we do are Surgery (3 months), Internal Medicine (3 months), OB/GYN (6 weeks), Pediatrics (6 weeks), Family Medicine (1 month), Psychiatry (1 month), and Neurology (1 month).

You do, however, get exposure to most of the specialties during 3rd year here if you read between the lines and are very proactive. You get some anesthesia, ophtho, and EM during surgery, derm in medicine, and radiology throughout (well, you gotta read films in most specialties!), you just dont get a solid month or two out of things that are not core.

What do day to day responsibilities look like third year? Do you act like an intern, or do you shadow all day, everyday?

This has been a strength to me. At all our training sites, I've been given so much responsibility (obviously with appropriate supervision). On inpatient, I generally carry 2-4 patients and do EVERYTHING, write orders, get consults, do all my own history and physicals, and answer that question all 3rd years dread "What may this person have and what do you want to do for your patient?" I've acted more like an intern than anything, except I'm not nearly as fast as one since I carry many less patients :)

Yes, we get two scheduled months, ideally for interviews and Step 2. You could just use them to sit around and watch tv if you want, but i dont suggest it (too difficult to study and go away from interviews during other rotations). I believe we get 3 weeks off before graduation as well, but there's no choice in that, everyone has that time free :thumbup:

What "core" rotations are you required to take? How many weeks/months of each core do you have?

Copy and pasted from above:

Surgery (3 months), Internal Medicine (3 months), OB/GYN (6 weeks), Pediatrics (6 weeks), Family Medicine (1 month), Psychiatry (1 month), and Neurology (1 month).

It seems that schools that have shorter surgery and internal med clerkships have elective time during 3rd year. Not always the case, but sometimes true.

The flaws that jump out most for me are the lack of elective time 3rd year, and how some of ICM/AHEC is set up. I think having ICM/AHEC is great and important, but I think it could be done a little differently to be more favorable to students. My 2nd year ICM instructor criticized the curriculum from not being organized enough (and she was a UMD graduate herself). Personally, that didnt bother me because I'm a pretty self motivated person, so I'll tell you what I need to learn. This, however, doesnt work for everyone I realize, so it all depends on your style.

I can deal with less organization whether it be purposeful or not, because at this point I'll just do my own thing anyway. I loved 8-12 class in pre-clinicals because I personally dont want to be force fed for 9hrs a day, just let me read it myself. Dont need a list of PE maneuvers to learn, I can read Bates and tell you what you should show me. Basically, anything I see as a bit of a flaw either works for me somehow, or I can just deal with it.

I say this not to bash our curriculum, but no matter where you go will have things that can be worked on, even if its Harvard, Hopkins or Stanford. Always ask lots of questions, and go with where you think best fits your educational style, as LW alluded to.

i called the admissions office today to check my status, even tho dr. foxwell said not to expect a decision until feb 9, and they told me that I WAS ACCEPTED!!!!!!!! yesssss so very excitedd...and a bit relieved since it's my first acceptance. can't wait to join all of you! after volunteering in shock trauma for 2 years i've really come to love baltimore and all of its quirks!!

i called the admissions office today to check my status, even tho dr. foxwell said not to expect a decision until feb 9, and they told me that I WAS ACCEPTED!!!!!!!! yesssss so very excitedd...and a bit relieved since it's my first acceptance. can't wait to join all of you! after volunteering in shock trauma for 2 years i've really come to love baltimore and all of its quirks!!

Congrats!!

That is awesome! Congratulations!

Funny, when I called the admissions office they told me "NEVER call to check your status... we'll call you, not the other way around." :laugh:

Barring an acceptance from NYU, I'm 100% gonna be at Maryland next year, and even if I do get into NYU, there's still a good chance I'll be in B-more.

I was really impressed by the school and thought it had really great facilities, curriculum, and students. The only thing I dislike is the ABCDF grading scale...I'm afraid this might cause some undue stress. I know there's been a lot of talk on this forum about the first two years not mattering much, but it just seems so much nicer to only have to strive for a passing grade than an A. Any one care to comment (current students, other applicants)?

I just received my official letter of acceptance in the mail today. Did anyone else that got accepted, receive a large packet of materials including a health and immunization form? I just thought that it was interesting that the health form has to be filled out within 4 weeks, though you could technically not be attending that school. I just wanted to make sure that everyone else received this form as well as a bunch of other stuff. Thanks.

I just received my official letter of acceptance in the mail today. Did anyone else that got accepted, receive a large packet of materials including a health and immunization form? I just thought that it was interesting that the health form has to be filled out within 4 weeks, though you could technically not be attending that school. I just wanted to make sure that everyone else received this form as well as a bunch of other stuff. Thanks.

Yah, I got all this stuff.
I still have not filled out my immunization form and I was accepted during Thanksgiving...:oops:

I sent mine in. When I called post-acceptance, they said to me to get it in as soon as possible to the 4 week deadline. If it isn't that much of a hassle, and you think you have a good chance of being at Maryland, I'd send it. Save you less stress later.

I sent mine in. When I called post-acceptance, they said to me to get it in as soon as possible to the 4 week deadline. If it isn't that much of a hassle, and you think you have a good chance of being at Maryland, I'd send it. Save you less stress later.

I agree completely.

However I was just confirming that everyone else got this form, since I have not gotten anything like this from the other schools to which I have been accepted. Thanks a lot everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm new to SDN and understand that this may not be the correct place for this post, but I was wondering about how all of your Maryland interviews felt, as far as atmosphere, with faculty or students, types of questions, etc. I have my interview this coming Monday 2/2 and am a bit nervous :) All of my other interviews have been extremely friendly, but for some reason Maryland scares me a little!

Hi all,

I'm new to SDN and understand that this may not be the correct place for this post, but I was wondering about how all of your Maryland interviews felt, as far as atmosphere, with faculty or students, types of questions, etc. I have my interview this coming Monday 2/2 and am a bit nervous :) All of my other interviews have been extremely friendly, but for some reason Maryland scares me a little!

Both my student interview and my faculty interview were very comfortable (except for my faculty interviewer attempting to convince me to go to Jefferson Medical School). Actually my student interview took place at a table at a coffee shop, so it was really laid back. There is no need to worry. If you need additional help, check out the Maryland section within the Interview Feedback Forum on this site.

Good luck :luck:

Everyone I've talked to had an experience similar to rplyler, but one of my interviews was a bit different. My second interview was with a urologist and I was asked about 7-8 hypothetical ethical scenarios throughout the interview - it wasn't that bad, but it was definitely my most stressful interview. The interviewer was very nice and made me feel relaxed, however. It was more of a conversation than an interrogation so I felt I could freely discuss how I would react in each situation.

Thanks MSKalltheway for such an informative post.

For all you third and fourth years out there, are there any online resources (or can you just provide some information) on how clerkships are broken down (particularly medicine and surgery)? In what ways does one get exposure to some of the specialities during these periods?

Second, I have heard of students during the summer between their first and second years completing their first clerkship (particularly in pysch). Does this allow one to "bump up" their electives to their third year (instead of fourth year)?

Third, I continually hear about patient "responsibility" during clerkships which is both quite exciting and intimidating. From a day-to-day dynamic, how does patient management "work"? In other words, are you left on your own to figure out patient care through your own knowledge as well as reading clinical texts? Or does a mentor guide you along in determining the course of treatment? I am quite curious what to expect during third year. (The first day of service must be quite scary...)

Fourth, I know that there are several options between first and second year: research, some type of pre-second year coursework, clerkship (as I alluded to above), and vacation. Can someone describe the advantages and disadvantages of these options?

Fifth (sorry for SO MANY questions), there is alot of talk between schools about grading vs. P/F. Do you feel that there is more stress in your lives due to the grading system? Dr. Foxwell indicated that it was the students who decided to keep the grading system in place as it is, in order to help differentiate students later on. However, I thought it was really the clinical rotations that matter more for residencies. If that is the case, why would grades matter in the first place?

Thanks so much! This board is a wonderful aid.

Last edited:
P.S. In my interviews at Maryland and other schools, I never had an ethical situation brought up. It really depends on the interviewer, I guess.

Fifth (sorry for SO MANY questions), there is alot of talk between schools about grading vs. P/F. Do you feel that there is more stress in your lives due to the grading system? Dr. Foxwell indicated that it was the students who decided to keep the grading system in place as it is, in order to help differentiate students later on. However, I thought it was really the clinical rotations that matter more for residencies. If that is the case, why would grades matter in the first place?

I don't see why the students would want to keep it..I asked about this a few posts up but no one responded. At both the schools I was at which were pass/fail every student talked about how having pass/fail was one their favorite things about the school, while most of the students I spoke with at Maryland said that one of the only things they would change was the A-F grading system to P/F. The grading system at Maryland is the only thing not appealing to me about the school.

I don't see why the students would want to keep it..I asked about this a few posts up but no one responded. At both the schools I was at which were pass/fail every student talked about how having pass/fail was one their favorite things about the school, while most of the students I spoke with at Maryland said that one of the only things they would change was the A-F grading system to P/F. The grading system at Maryland is the only thing not appealing to me about the school.

That is exactly how I feel as well.

But my other acceptances aren't P/F so it all evens out.

A quick response about the letter grading system (I'm between reading about my patients so I gotta be quick before I pass out on it):

The letter grade system is rather unappealing but I wouldnt worry about how grades are done in general. In reality, whether its true H/P, F/LP/P/HP/H, or A/B/C/D/F it all comes out the same. When you apply to residency, you need to be ranked against your classmates somehow, so in the end our grading system vs others becomes mostly a non issue anyway.

When applying to competitive residency programs or specialties, they pay a good deal of attention to class rank. When there are grades and class rank, its still mostly class rank, since everyone has different grading systems. Also, how does one schools A correlate to another schools A, or HP?

Its one of those things that feels important at the time, but looking back on my years, the grading system you enter into doesnt matter. Its all about your class rank if anything.

A quick response about the letter grading system (I'm between reading about my patients so I gotta be quick before I pass out on it):

The letter grade system is rather unappealing but I wouldnt worry about how grades are done in general. In reality, whether its true H/P, F/LP/P/HP/H, or A/B/C/D/F it all comes out the same. When you apply to residency, you need to be ranked against your classmates somehow, so in the end our grading system vs others becomes mostly a non issue anyway.

When applying to competitive residency programs or specialties, they pay a good deal of attention to class rank. When there are grades and class rank, its still mostly class rank, since everyone has different grading systems. Also, how does one schools A correlate to another schools A, or HP?

Its one of those things that feels important at the time, but looking back on my years, the grading system you enter into doesnt matter. Its all about your class rank if anything.

Agreed. Grading system should really only be a factor for people with Alphabet-Induced Anxiety.

It's an individual thing. If you get uncomfortable with a "C" next to your name rather than a "Pass" next to your name, then it might not be for you. But if the numerical value of these grades is both, say, 75%, you're essentially still ranked whatever you would've been ranked.

Pass/Fail schools don't really exist. With (allegedly) a scarce few exceptions, all the Pass/Fail schools do still rank students. You still get numerical scores on exams. That kind of thing doesn't just magically disappear.

I tend to believe Pass/Fail systems were invented to soothe anxious medical students' OCD.

Edit: Then there's the issue of "Honors/High Pass/Medium Pass/Middle Pass/Decent Pass/Ok Pass/So So Pass/Fail that most schools tend to have these days. That's the same as a traditional grading scale.

Edit2: Plenty of people at P/F schools I met on the interview trail did tend to use the "oh yeah we're so relaxed because it's pass/fail" monologue. They also used things like "oh we're not competitive, we make study guides!" and other absurdly useless claims. If you're a person who feels compelled to get every single question right every single time, you're not going to suddenly become happy with missing 1/4 of the questions just because of the grading system. I really don't believe that a grading system can have much of an impact on the experience to be honest.

Last edited:
Hey, good to know. Thanks for the responses!

For all you third and fourth years out there, are there any online resources (or can you just provide some information) on how clerkships are broken down (particularly medicine and surgery)? In what ways does one get exposure to some of the specialities during these periods?.

I'm not sure where you can find online resources, but I can break it down for you pretty well:

3rd year is a total of 48 weeks of clerkships, broken up as follows:

- Medicine. (Included: General internal medicine and some medical subspecialties, radiology, dermatology, hospice/palliative care)

You will spend a total of 12 weeks on medicine, broken down into 3 four-week sessions. 2 of those sessions will be inpatient, and can be done at University, the VA, Mercy, Union Memorial, or 1 or 2 other sites that I can't remember off the top of my head. On your inpatient weeks, you will be q4 (meaning you take call with your team every 4th night), which includes weekends, averaging out to one day off per week. You will not stay overnight - instead, you will stay typically until 9-11pm, or until you have "capped" at your personal max # of patients, and have finished helping out the housestaff for the day. On inpatient medicine, you will carry anywhere from 1-4 patients - you will follow them, do the H&P, present them, do their workups and scutwork, etc., with input from the resident and attending. I typically got in around 6pm when I had 1-2 patients, or 5am when I had 3-4 patients. There are didactic sessions pretty much every day (morning report in the AM, noon conference), and then radiology readings once a week. Some sites are exempt from some of these "extras," since they are held at University/the VA...but most of these away sites have their own morning report and noon lectures that you will go to instead. Dress is business, unless you are on call (scrubs are OK in that case).

You will spend 1 four-week session on outpatient medicine, which is a blend of clinic at an assigned site (e.g. University, Union Memorial, St. Agnes, Franklin Square), along with hospice/palliative care (4 days out of the 4 weeks, with a take-home test and writing assignment), and dermatology (lectures once or twice a week with a "test" at the end). As with inpatient, you will still have some didactic sessions. There is no call on outpatient months, and your weekends are your own. The clinics that you will attend in the AM and PM will vary, and just about any subspecialty is possible as an experience. For example, we had general medicine, renal, pulm, oncology, and endocrine clinics where I rotated. However, you won't have a whole lot of time in clinic because you are constantly running to other sites (derm lecture, hospice, etc.), so you might not get too much experience in these subspecialties.

You may be assigned the 4-week sessions in any order, so some people have outpatient first, some have it in the middle, and some (like I did) have it last. Regardless, at the end of the session, on the very last Friday, you will take your medicine shelf exam.

- Surgery. (Included: General surgery and/or surgical subspecialties, ICU, anesthesia, wound care, trauma and EM)

You will spend a total of 12 weeks on various surgical services. You will have two 3-week blocks. Everyone has 3 weeks of Shock-Trauma service (I'm on this right now) which is a blend of emergency medicine and Trauma/Emergent surgery. On this 3-week block, you will take q3 call with your team (including weekends), and stay overnight - you are usually awake for the majority of the night admitting people, helping out with traumas, in the OR with emergent cases, etc. It's a lot of fun and they typically let you do a lot. During the shock trauma rotation, you will also spend 2 days on one of the ICU teams (there are 3 ICUs in STC), learning what a surgical ICU is like.

The other 3-week block will be spent either on a general surgery service (Univ, VA, or Mercy), on the transplant service, surg onc, or peds surg. Call, hours, and autonomy/experiences will vary widely depending on which service you are on. I was at Mercy, where I spent 2 weeks on their general surgery service and 1 on vascular, with 2 other students. We showed up anywhere between 5-6am, scrubbed in every day (often to multiple surgeries), and were actually encouraged to participate - for example, my first day in the OR, I got to be first assist on a complicated case (a bit of a fluke, but still...), and we usually left around 5-6pm, although there were a few nights that cases went as late as 9pm. We each took 4 overnight calls which were variable in terms of how busy they were - usually we slept from 1-2am until 5. Other students on different services worked better/worse hours and took more/less/no call, and some of them were only able to observe in the OR, and not really participate (transplant comes to mind).

There is one 2-week block where you are assigned to a subspecialty service (cardiac, thoracic, vascular, minimally invasive, or urologic surgery). I can't speak to these, as I haven't done mine yet. I don't see them being much different from the 3-week blocks.

I'm sure you can probably "request" one site/service or another, but most of us were randomly assigned to each of the 3-week and 2-week blocks. Dress is scrubs for all of these blocks.

The last 4 weeks of the surgery rotation are divided up into 1-week blocks. Everyone has to do 1 week of orthopedics; the other 3 you can choose (to some extent - they try to accomodate everyone, but can't always) between ENT (+ 1 half-day of ophtho), urology, plastics, wound care, anesthesia, and neurosurgery. I'm not sure what the call requirements for these 1-weekers are yet, but I know that for some (ortho comes to mind) you will have clinic days where you need to dress nicely (not in scrubs).

There are 2pm lectures and sporadic small groups that you are expected to go to while on surgery, unless you are at an away site (like Mercy). The final Friday of your surgery rotation, you will take the shelf exam.

- Family Medicine. For 4 weeks, you will be assigned to either the campus clinic (about 2/3 of the group of students), or to an off-campus clinic just about anywhere inside of a 1-hour drive radius. It is basically 9-5 clinic, with no weekends or call. On Fridays, you will have lecture for the entire day (9-), although you rarely use all of that time, it's usually more like 9-3, but don't quote me), and those who are at the campus clinic will have morning report with the family med residents. Dress is business. I was one of the off-campus people (I requested it, actually). There is a 1- or 2-day requirement spent on the family med inpatient service (UMMS family med has admitting priveliges for their pts and you will follow them just as you would on internal medicine) - you can do more, if you choose, and take overnight call with them if you really want. This rotation is a good way to gauge whether or not you think you might be interested in primary care. On the last Friday, you will take an "in-house" shelf exam written by the FM faculty, which is computerized.

- Neurology. You will spend 4 weeks on one of 3 services: University wards, Univ consults, or VA consults. University wards is their own inpatient service - just like on medicine, they have their own patients for which they are the primary team. This also means that they have to come in earlier, pre-round/round on all of their patients, etc. The consulting teams are similar in that they don't have their "own" patients, but they act as consultants to the primary (typically either medicine or surgery) team when the pt is suspected to have a neurological issue. You will be doing lots of physical exam, learning how to manage stroke, etc. For the VA consult team, you will have clinic 3 times a week in the afternoons, where you will typically see 2 patients. You will be in charge of writing their notes and putting in their orders. It is a chance to see some really random stuff (I saw a guy with inclusion body myositis...) and hone your exam skills. There are different clinics on different dates for patients to follow-up in, e.g. stroke clinic, neuromuscular clinic, seizure clinic, etc.

You are required to take 2 call nights while on neuro, regardless of what service you are on. Univ wards and consults work on Saturdays, I believe. VA consults are off on weekends. Dress is business for all services and clinics.

You will have lecture around noon evert Tue-Thur. The last friday of the clerkship, you will take an "in-house" shelf exam written by the neuro faculty. This year it was a packet of short-answer questions and one really long essay question.

- Psychiatry. You will spend 4 weeks on a psychiatric service, taking care of, typically, very sick psych patients. You may be assigned to one of the psych wards at University (general psych or geriatric psych), the Walter P. Carter Center, Spring Grove Hospital Center, or split your time with 2 weeks on a psych consult service, and the other 2 on the substance abuse service. The patient populations at both WPCC and SGHC are mostly comprised of people suffering from schizophrenia, although many have more than one psychiatric diagnosis. You will learn how to interview and write up a psych patient, no matter where you are assigned. The hours are typically 8 or 9 to 4 or 5, and you will often interact with your patients in the role of group facilitator or activity leader.

There is one overnight call (which you will do at University wards, no matter where you are assigned), and one weekend day at the PES - psych emergency service, which is basically an ED for psych emergencies, like suicide attempts, manic patients, etc. Dress is business for all services. The final Friday of the rotation, you will take the psych shelf exam.

I will let my classmates talk about OB/gyn and pediatrics, as I have yet to do either. I do know that each are 6 weeks, and OB/gyn is broken into 2-week blocks of outpatient, gyn/gyn-surg, and L&D, and that peds is broken up into 3 weeks each of inpatient and outpatient.

Second, I have heard of students during the summer between their first and second years completing their first clerkship (particularly in pysch). Does this allow one to "bump up" their electives to their third year (instead of fourth year)?

This is only true if you are accepted to and participate in the CAPP program. I don't know of any other rotation that you can get credit for, except for psych. The CAPP students do most of their training in psych during 1st year, and then spend the summer working on a psych unit/project, which counts as their junior psych clerkship. However, they still have to do 4 weeks of psych as part of their junior year - but they can take more advanced electives (e.g. schizophrenia clerkship, child psych, substance abuse, etc). I don't think anything else counts, though. There are some courses, like medical spanish and a few others, that will count as senior elective credit, but that's it.

Lack of elective time in the 3rd year is the most major gripe that I have with UMD. I am highly interested in 2 specialties that you get very little exposure to in the 3rd year, and to make matters worse, neither is offered as a sub-internship during 4th year, so I'm probably going to have to burn all 4 of my senior electives up front.

Third, I continually hear about patient "responsibility" during clerkships which is both quite exciting and intimidating. From a day-to-day dynamic, how does patient management "work"? In other words, are you left on your own to figure out patient care through your own knowledge as well as reading clinical texts? Or does a mentor guide you along in determining the course of treatment? I am quite curious what to expect during third year. (The first day of service must be quite scary...)

You'll get the hang of it. It's not like they drop you in the middle of 6S on your first day of shock trauma and say "good luck." Learning how to manage patients is what 3rd year is about! Also, it varies substantially from rotation to rotation, from service to service, and from hospital to hospital. On some rotations/sites, you will have someone holding your hand every step of the way. At other places, you may be left on your own quite a bit to figure things out. Since starting 3rd year more than 6 months ago, I've felt "uncomfortable" with my expected level of responsibility only a handful of times, and I can pinpoint those sentiments to particular factors that were going on at the time. Those "factors" went directly into my evals, or, in a couple of cases, directly to the clerkship directors - who, I must say, have been extremely approachable and immediately responded with concern. You should not constantly feel like you are out of your league (although once in a while it's to be expected), and you should not ever feel like you are being forced into a position where your or a patient's life or well-being is in danger. You are there to learn, not to make the final medical decisions. It's OK to be wrong as a student. If you're not getting enough guidance, definitely speak up about it. Clerkship directors want to hear these kinds of things, because they actually care about improving the experience.

Fourth, I know that there are several options between first and second year: research, some type of pre-second year coursework, clerkship (as I alluded to above), and vacation. Can someone describe the advantages and disadvantages of these options?

I think the smartest thing to do is engage in some meaningful research, and take some time to have a vacation. I think you have something like 10-11 weeks. Use them wisely. As for what to research...they sky's the limit. What are you intersted in? What specialty might you want to do? Have you done research before, and can you use this summer to extend the project? Can you publish? Can you continue this research into 2nd year and beyond? (I'm asking rhetorically...not looking for a specific answer, just giving you food for thought.)

No, the grading system isn't a big deal. Usually, people only stress over their grades for the first few exams. After that, it only causes stress to those who feel the need to talk about and compare their grades with other people, which most students don't. As a matter of fact, we have a kind of unspoken rule amongst our class that we don't talk about grades. Yeah, I'm sure it's nice to get A's, but most people get B's and some get C's, and we all pass, and after first and second year are done, we pretty much all start over from baseline, anyway. It's important to know your shi%, but that's about it. For most specialties, clinical grades do matter more (especially your rotation in that particular specialty), as do letters from people in that department, and your board scores.

Hope that answers some of your questions!

Thanks so much, LadyWolverine. You certainly helped clarify things, and I really know what to expect. I am glad that one gets at least some exposure to specialities during 3rd year rotations. Sure, they are not in-depth, but at least they exist.

A follow-on question:
If all programs require students to go through the same basic rotations during the third year, how then do students who attend "research-focused, private institutions" gain more exposure to electives before making their career choice? In other words, aren't all medical school students, regardless of their school choice, in the same boat when it comes to choosing their speciality towards the beginning of fourth year?

If all programs require students to go through the same basic rotations during the third year, how then do students who attend "research-focused, private institutions" gain more exposure to electives before making their career choice? In other words, aren't all medical school students, regardless of their school choice, in the same boat when it comes to choosing their speciality towards the beginning of fourth year?

I'm not sure how to answer this question because I'm not sure what 3rd year looks like everywhere else. Not all programs require the same basic clerkships in 3rd year. For instance, some schools (and not just "research-focused, private institutions," but schools along the entire spectrum of public-private and research-clinical focus) allow time for electives in the 3rd year by having only 8 weeks of IM, surgery, or both, or by not having a required family med and/or neurology rotation. So, no, not everyone is in the same boat approaching 4th year.

Thanks so much, LadyWolverine. You certainly helped clarify things, and I really know what to expect. I am glad that one gets at least some exposure to specialities during 3rd year rotations. Sure, they are not in-depth, but at least they exist.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what's the best way to find roommates? Aside from SDN/Craigslist, is there an internal mailing list, etc that people use?

Thanks!

I'm not sure where you can find online resources, but I can break it down for you pretty well:

Thats quite a well crafted and detailed response. Is someone post-call with a few hrs sleep last night? :)

I will let my classmates talk about OB/gyn and pediatrics, as I have yet to do either. I do know that each are 6 weeks, and OB/gyn is broken into 2-week blocks of outpatient, gyn/gyn-surg, and L&D, and that peds is broken up into 3 weeks each of inpatient and outpatient.

Aight I got this!

Peds--3 weeks of outpatient or 3 weeks inpatient. I believe the centers are Franklin Square, Mercy, BWMC, Sinai, and University (this list is not completely comprehensive). At peripheral sites, you largely have general peds clinic everyday, while at university you have a mix of general and subspecialty clinics. Call is q4-5 or qweek depending on where you are, and its always until 10pm or until your first admission. For me, on outpatient I stayed until 10 or until I got kicked out, and on inpatient, I would stay until 10pm or until my first admission, then I was gone. Hours for me were generally 9-5/6 for outpatient and 7-5 for inpatient. I was at a peripheral site, but my colleagues at university worked a lot harder/longer for inpatient. The peripheral sites tend to have more bread and butter peds, rather than the randomness you get at UMD.

OB/GYN--only 3 sites here, Franklin Square, Mercy, and University. Its split up into 2 weeks outpatient, 2 weeks Labor & Delivery, and 2 weeks Gyn surgery. Outpatient is 9-5 (as all other clinic is), while L&D and GYN surg have more difficult hours, generally 6-6. Call is call on L&D service no matter when you take it...I called it baby-catching call: you take a friday night call (5pm-7am), saturday 24hr call (7am-7am), and sunday call (7am-5pm). You can do all calls at once, but you'd be crazy. You pick when you take calls with the other students, and only 1-2 per call. Generally, clinic is a bunch of pelvic exams, L&D is, well, labor and delivery, and gyn surgery is womens pelvic surgery (basically anything underneath the layer of abdominal wall called the peritoneum).

LW already talked about responsibilities between services...in my experience, largely either you do nothing for your patients or almost everything. On OB/GYN and surgery I did little to nothing, Peds and Medicine I do everything for my patients, all with appropriate responsibility.

Lack of elective time in the 3rd year is the most major gripe that I have with UMD. I am highly interested in 2 specialties that you get very little exposure to in the 3rd year, and to make matters worse, neither is offered as a sub-internship during 4th year, so I'm probably going to have to burn all 4 of my senior electives up front.

Tell me about it. 2/4 elective months gone to do my specialty "sub-Is". I'll need to use my vacation months to do other cool **** that I wont get otherwise. I think we need to suggest the set up of more sub-Is, which would be helpful. And split up the AHEC block under all circumstances and not do two months together. I think that would help make things a ton easier.

Current Students,

When you filled out the FASFA did you include parental information??? On my interview day, I thought I heard that we had to fill out our parent's stuff to be eligible for certain loans, but when I called yesterday they told me not to.

Thanks!!

congratulations to everyone who's been accepted. i got mine a couple weeks ago and i'm 95% sure i'll be in b-more in the fall.

For the current students: could you give me a break down of a typical day for first and second year. i know there is two hours of lecture and then two hours of small group. are the small group sessions case-based or is it just a discussion of the lecture material? also, how often do you have ICM, is it in small groups, and how is the material covered (lecture, case-based, discussion, etc.)? thanks and hopefully ill be seein some of you in the fall.

congratulations to everyone who's been accepted. i got mine a couple weeks ago and i'm 95% sure i'll be in b-more in the fall.

For the current students: could you give me a break down of a typical day for first and second year. i know there is two hours of lecture and then two hours of small group. are the small group sessions case-based or is it just a discussion of the lecture material? also, how often do you have ICM, is it in small groups, and how is the material covered (lecture, case-based, discussion, etc.)? thanks and hopefully ill be seein some of you in the fall.

Small groups are generally an adjuct to lecture in some way. They are extremely varied and can be cased-based discussions pertaining to lecture material or can be on entirely separate topics which are peripherally related to lecture (ie lots of the Epidemiology stuff is dealt with in small groups). During 1st year, you won't always have small group. During 2nd year, you have small group almost every day and it has mandatory attendance that affects your grade.

ICM is generally once a week. Ideally, you spend a lot of time seeing patients. Any material covered is more of a discussion format, though the manner in which topics are covered is generally left up to your ICM preceptor. As a result, people have pretty widely variable experiences during ICM. ICM is generally in small groups, anywhere from 2-10 (though 10 is pretty large).

Hope that helps some.

thanks. that helps a lot. that pretty much confirms the sense of the curriculum i got from the students on my interview. it seems like there isn't an excessive amount of time spent in lectures and afternoons are generally free for studying/other activities. i like this a lot about maryland because i think most learning is done on your own while studying as opposed to hearing it in lecture all day like most other schools. any thoughts on this? any drawbacks i might not be thinking of?

Where does lab or anything akin to it fit into the schedule?

All right, there are some serious contentions popping up in the pre-allo thread about the topic, so I figured I would just come out and ask.

Can someone tell us about drug tests at maryland? will they drug test you when/if you rotate in the VA? is there any advanced warning?

Please dont start judging, and reserve that for the fight in the pre-allo board. Thanks!

All right, there are some serious contentions popping up in the pre-allo thread about the topic, so I figured I would just come out and ask.

Can someone tell us about drug tests at maryland? will they drug test you when/if you rotate in the VA? is there any advanced warning?

Please dont start judging, and reserve that for the fight in the pre-allo board. Thanks!

1. You are an idiot if you believe everything you read over in pre-allo.
2. You are an idiot if you come to medical school and continue with your pre-med drug habit on a regular basis. You are "entering into a profession" (or did you not complete your secondary?) that requires some pretty sharp mental acuity and a pretty serious commitment. I know I certainly wouldn't want my doc to be in a purple haze while treating my ailments - why would I want my doc-in-training to be any different? Take a year or two off if you need some time to "get it out of your system."
3. I rotated at the VA this year. I was not drug tested beforehand. I did, however, receive a background check, complete with fingerprinting. As I have no criminal record, it wasn't a problem.
4. I have no idea whether or not they plan on implementing a drug screening policy in the future. To be honest, I hope that they do, and I hope that it's random/no warning. Judgment or not, recreational drugs have no place in this line of work. You're an adult now - it's time to grow up and put away the bong.

1. You are an idiot if you believe everything you read over in pre-allo.
2. You are an idiot if you come to medical school and continue with your pre-med drug habit on a regular basis. You are "entering into a profession" (or did you not complete your secondary?) that requires some pretty sharp mental acuity and a pretty serious commitment. I know I certainly wouldn't want my doc to be in a purple haze while treating my ailments - why would I want my doc-in-training to be any different? Take a year or two off if you need some time to "get it out of your system."
3. I rotated at the VA this year. I was not drug tested beforehand. I did, however, receive a background check, complete with fingerprinting. As I have no criminal record, it wasn't a problem.
4. I have no idea whether or not they plan on implementing a drug screening policy in the future. To be honest, I hope that they do, and I hope that it's random/no warning. Judgment or not, recreational drugs have no place in this line of work. You're an adult now - it's time to grow up and put away the bong.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Also note that EVERYONE will get the VA background check/fingerprinting thing before 3rd year. Its not an option to opt out and not rotate at the VA. Its mandatory because there are several rotations during which you can be placed at the VA and while you can put in "preferences" for some rotations, they don't guarantee anything and you can still end up at any site.

Just in case that question was forthcoming.

Hi all, is there a 2nd Look Day for Maryland? Does anyone know when that might be?

Hi all, is there a 2nd Look Day for Maryland? Does anyone know when that might be?

There is no formal second look :)() but if you wanted to revisit the school on your own you can contact Rashaunah in the admissions office to help you create your own itinerary. Also, I'm sure some of the current students on SDN wouldn't mind helping you out if they have the time.

I hope you hear good news! I looked at your MDApps and you've got some really cool experiences... I've always wanted to be in an opera (all of my training has been in musical theatre). I was asked to be in the chorus of "The Mikado" at VCU last year but I wasn't able to because of scheduling conflicts.

I hope you hear good news! I looked at your MDApps and you've got some really cool experiences... I've always wanted to be in an opera (all of my training has been in musical theatre). I was asked to be in the chorus of "The Mikado" at VCU last year but I wasn't able to because of scheduling conflicts.

That's awesome, Chad, what have you done in musical theatre? Oh, you can PM me if you'd rather - I know the anonymity thing can be sensitive. :)

I just wanted to say that this thread is fantastic, and thank you to the students who stay up late to answer all the questions! Maryland left a great impression on me, and although I'm waiting to hear from a couple other schools, there's a good chance I'll be there this fall. :)

I know that some schools have white coat ceremonies during orientation, but I can't find any information about the ceremony for Maryland. Is it usually held later in the year? Any idea when it will be held this fall?

Also, there was a post that mentioned the CAPP program for psychiatry. How many students usually participate in CAPP? How is the program viewed at Maryland? I'm curious as to how psych is viewed at Maryland. I've heard stories at other places about how some professors/attendings try to dissuade students from going into psych, how it's not 'real medicine,' etc. Can any of the current students provide any insight on this? I appreciate it!

I just wanted to say that this thread is fantastic, and thank you to the students who stay up late to answer all the questions! Maryland left a great impression on me, and although I'm waiting to hear from a couple other schools, there's a good chance I'll be there this fall. :)

I know that some schools have white coat ceremonies during orientation, but I can't find any information about the ceremony for Maryland. Is it usually held later in the year? Any idea when it will be held this fall?

Also, there was a post that mentioned the CAPP program for psychiatry. How many students usually participate in CAPP? How is the program viewed at Maryland? I'm curious as to how psych is viewed at Maryland. I've heard stories at other places about how some professors/attendings try to dissuade students from going into psych, how it's not 'real medicine,' etc. Can any of the current students provide any insight on this? I appreciate it!

The WCC is at the end of October (or perhaps early November, depending on the calendar) after you finish the first block, Structure & Development. The given rationale is that the ceremony "means more" after you've actually accomplished something, even if it's just one course.

As for CAPP, I can't really answer since I'm not in it, but I think LW might've been? But as far as the school's outlook on psych, I can't speak for the disposition of attendings during clinical years, but the administration includes several (and is seemingly rather supportive of) members of the Psychiatric community.

I was not a member of CAPP. I would say there were probably 12 to 15 students from my class who were. After talking to many of them, they have mixed emotions about their experiences with CAPP. The majority are very positive. Knowing what I now know about the psychiatry dept at Maryland, I'd be surprised if they got anything less than a stellar education in psych. CAPP was very popular my 1st year and probably will continue to be. Just because you participate in CAPP does not mean that you have to go into psychiatry. Also, I've found my experience in psychiatry (from my 3rd year rotation) to come in handy on most of my other rotations (IM especially). But you will get a solid foundation during your 2nd year, and the month-long rotation during 3rd year was, IMHO, a necessary experience.

Look, no matter what you are interested in or what rotation you are on, you are going to find someone who's going to disparage what you are doing. Although I, personally, have no intention of going into psychiatry, I believe that there is a very real need for psychiatrists and have a profound respect for what they do. Some of these psychiatric patients are so sick and so refractory to any treatment that we currently have - it really pulls at your heartstrings. Many psych residents and attendings that I have spoken to have personal reasons for going into the field (e.g. a family member with schizophrenia or other severe psychiatric illness). You will understand, once you start 3rd year, that hospital politics are very different from "real life" medicine. For example, I did my psych rotation at a facility where there aren't any other doctors aside from the psychiatrists. There was very little in the way of grumbling/pissing contests/dumping patients on other services/disparaging other medical fields. That was refreshing. And very different from my hospital-based rotations, where every service seems to complain about or have a bone to pick with another service (commonly psych). So, the bottom line is that you can't always buy into the hype. If you're interested in something for a reason, don't let anyone dissuade you, especially if they can't back up their argument with sound reasoning. Psychiatry is a legitimate specialty with extremely sick patients. It must be extremely frustrating to work with these people, day in and day out, but, God bless them, they do. Because nobody else wants to. But at least they try.

Thanks for the info on the CAPP.

Also, my question got drowned out earlier by that questions about drugs.

How exactly does lab fit into the schedule at UMD. Does it take place sometimes during the small group times?