University of Kentucky School of Medicine Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when they send out the Financial Aid Award packets? Is it really sometime in late May/early June?
Not that I am, but what if people are trying to decide between two different schools and all.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know when they send out the Financial Aid Award packets? Is it really sometime in late May/early June?
Not that I am, but what if people are trying to decide between two different schools and all.

Good question. Late May sounds, well, late. Give Julie in financial aid a call. She is super nice and one of my favorite ladies to talk to at UK (the other is Ms. Scott).

Totally unrelated question, but today, while talking with Julie, she mentioned how the school will be "drastically" changing its curriculum, starting next year with our class. Apparently the class time won't change much, but the overall content will be very different, she said, with the caveat that she is not really too informed about the whole thing and that I should talk to someone in the curriculum department. Does anyone have any information on this new curriculum at UK? How will it differ from what already exists?

Im pretty sure one of the major changes is that there will no longer be histo or neuro lab sessions. Instead, everything will be sorta computer based. Trust me, you will want this. Also, Dr. Maley is taking over neuro.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im pretty sure one of the major changes is that there will no longer be histo or neuro lab sessions. Instead, everything will be sorta computer based. Trust me, you will want this. Also, Dr. Maley is taking over neuro.

That sounds good. :thumbup: I was told that the new curriculum will be very innovative and geared toward students doing better on USMLE Step 1.

Anything else?

Did any of you all consider Cincinnati when you were picking schools? I'm trying to decide between UC and UK, and I'd appreciate some fresh perspective. I'm from Lexington, I love the city, I like the people at UK and I think the school's curriculum structure is great. On the other hand, UC is very well-respected in the clinical areas I am interested in (peds, surgery, emergency med). So yeah, I don't really know what to do.

Current students...

What options are there for lectures in the event that a student cannot make it to class (internet broadcast, video tapes etc.)? Are they flexible with the lecture attendence policy?

Just curious

I mean no offense! Honestly...I'm just making an observation here...shouldn't the thread title read University of Kentucky College of Medicine (Vs School of Medicine) It's actually a seperate college within the university, they make this distinction, not everyone does but it's just an observation!

Current students...

What options are there for lectures in the event that a student cannot make it to class (internet broadcast, video tapes etc.)? Are they flexible with the lecture attendence policy?

Just curious

None of the science courses really have required attendance. The labs do though. If you miss class, you can download the audio recordings later that afternoon. The small groups in the afternoon are the classes that have required attendance. Also, the class website has scanned notes from previous years with filled in written notes from the actual lecture....so if you dont want to, you really dont have to go to any of the morning classes.

I mean no offense! Honestly...I'm just making an observation here...shouldn't the thread title read University of Kentucky College of Medicine (Vs School of Medicine) It's actually a seperate college within the university, they make this distinction, not everyone does but it's just an observation!

This was talked about on the first page. I wish I could change it myself.

Thanks MarzMD good to know if i ever need it

That sounds good. :thumbup: I was told that the new curriculum will be very innovative and geared toward students doing better on USMLE Step 1.

Anything else?

Just a follow up to my original question. Today I heard from an administrator in the curriculum department that, pending approval, the major change starting in the fall will be that the required 4th-year EM rotation will be gone and will be joined with the in-patient and out-patient IM rotations (two clerkships are required) to form a 16-wk "Integrated Clerkship" in 3rd year.

Sounds like a good idea, instead of having the IM clerkships split b/w the primary care clerkship and the inpatient clerkship (w/ surgery) as they are now. Seems like this will allow for greater continuity of care.

Just a follow up to my original question. Today I heard from an administrator in the curriculum department that, pending approval, the major change starting in the fall will be that the required 4th-year EM rotation will be gone and will be joined with the in-patient and out-patient IM rotations (two clerkships are required) to form a 16-wk "Integrated Clerkship" in 3rd year.

Sounds like a good idea, instead of having the IM clerkships split b/w the primary care clerkship and the inpatient clerkship (w/ surgery) as they are now. Seems like this will allow for greater continuity of care.

I dont think there is a required EM rotation 4th year. I dont think that there is a required EM rotation period. That is one of the changes they are making. There is supposed to be a required EM rotation 3rd year.

I dont think there is a required EM rotation 4th year. I dont think that there is a required EM rotation period. That is one of the changes they are making. There is supposed to be a required EM rotation 3rd year.

The material that I was given at the interview listed a 4-week EM clerkship in 4th year. You may already have been given a new schedule that has EM in third year.

3rd year there is a combined EM/Med rotation where you follow a patient from the ER to Hospital(if admitted) to outpatient/clinic (if I understand correctly).

Also, be aware that lecture recordings, notes, etc, availability is completely dependent on how reliable your academic chair is, the recordings are not provided by the university. (So vote wisely in your class elections)

Members don't see this ad :)
So regarding these changes in curriculum - they are switching to computer based histo slides instead of labs?

Also, the school has block schedules, but I'm a little confused what that means. You take a couple of classes, then have tests all the same week then start new classes?

So regarding these changes in curriculum - they are switching to computer based histo slides instead of labs?

Also, the school has block schedules, but I'm a little confused what that means. You take a couple of classes, then have tests all the same week then start new classes?

No, you take a class or 2 in a block. The tests during a 2 class block are usually like a week apart. Once the block is over, you have a new set of classes.
block 1-anatomy/embryology and cellbio/histology
block 2-biochem and genetics
block 3-neuro
block 4- physiology

No, you take a class or 2 in a block. The tests during a 2 class block are usually like a week apart. Once the block is over, you have a new set of classes.
block 1-anatomy/embryology and cellbio/histology
block 2-biochem and genetics
block 3-neuro
block 4- physiology

How do you like this system?

Also, does anyone know if they're done giving out scholarships?

How many folks here included their parents info on their FAFSA form? I didn't because I think my folks make too much (100,000+) for me to receive any need-based aid. However, I'm starting to wonder if I should have included it.

Marz, did you need to be CPR certified before you got to school?
No

How do you like this system?

Also, does anyone know if they're done giving out scholarships?

I like the system, but not with all of the afternoon responsibilities/classes. It defeats the whole purpose to me.

So, is it UK for sure for you JDUB?

I did find an apartment. I'm about to put myself on the waitlist for one at the Racquet Club, although the woman I talked to said they generally have something available in the model I want. I can't wait to move. Looks like I'll be out of Tallahassee in May/June.

yeah probably for sure, I"m just trying to decided whether or not to rent or buy. Its such a tough decision but i'll probably just rent. is the raquest club pretty nice?

How many folks here included their parents info on their FAFSA form? I didn't because I think my folks make too much (100,000+) for me to receive any need-based aid. However, I'm starting to wonder if I should have included it.

I didn't include mine and my parents don't make anywhere near that much, like 50K, but according to their little chart it didn't look like I would be anywhere near qualifying for anything either.

Anyone have any more information about the pre-matric program? Are they having it this year? And if any current students participated what are your thoughts about the program? Reply here or just PM me....thanks

I withdrew from UK this morning so good luck to someone waiting for a spot in the class. I'm sad I can't go especially since it really is a great school and its so close to my family - but I just couldn't justify it financially.

I withdrew from UK this morning so good luck to someone waiting for a spot in the class. I'm sad I can't go especially since it really is a great school and its so close to my family - but I just couldn't justify it financially.

same here, gl to everyone

I wish I found this thread earlier. I'll see you guys on orientation week. :)

I wish I found this thread earlier. I'll see you guys on orientation week. :)

Welcome to the thread, Dimness! Look forward to meeting you in a few months.

This thread's starting to die, so how about we pick it up a little by telling a little bit about ourselves?

I'll start... I graduated from FSU (Go Noles!) with a BA in Religion. In all probability, I'll be attending UK and having the Navy foot the bill (HPSP). I look forward to the block scheduling that UK has.

Next.

Welcome to the thread, Dimness! Look forward to meeting you in a few months.

This thread's starting to die, so how about we pick it up a little by telling a little bit about ourselves?

I'll start... I graduated from FSU (Go Noles!) with a BA in Religion. In all probability, I'll be attending UK and having the Navy foot the bill (HPSP). I look forward to the block scheduling that UK has.

Next.

Tell me more about the HPSP, what made you decide to do that. Right now I can't imagine being into debt with time to the military? What is it like 2 years for every one year of school they pay for?

I haven't been posting on this thread for a while because I recently found out that I am highly ranked on the alternate waitlist, and most likely will eventually be accepted to, my state school University of Washington. That being said, UK is an awesome school which I turned down a half-tuition scholarship at UL for, that is how good I think that it is (at least for me; I definitely dig the longer year but shorter time in class).

To everyone attending UK, you guys are going to get a great education and you'll love Lexington (hope you like basketball, too).

Best to all!!:luck:

It's official, I've withdrawn from every other school and will be at UK this fall.

I won't be able to move until July, but hopefully I'll be able to enjoy Lexington and head up to Cincinnati to catch a Reds game or two before the 30th.

I'm planning to buy a small house/condo/town home and it seems the one I most like is some 15 minutes from campus in low-traffic times. Anyone think commuting on Nicholasville or Harrodsburg from New Circle would be too frustrating?

Good luck to everyone on making your final decisions wherever you end up.

It's official, I've withdrawn from every other school and will be at UK this fall.

I won't be able to move until July, but hopefully I'll be able to enjoy Lexington and head up to Cincinnati to catch a Reds game or two before the 30th.

I'm planning to buy a small house/condo/town home and it seems the one I most like is some 15 minutes from campus in low-traffic times. Anyone think commuting on Nicholasville or Harrodsburg from New Circle would be too frustrating?

Good luck to everyone on making your final decisions wherever you end up.

When the college kids are in town, traveling down any road is frustrating. It has taken me anywhere from 15 min to an hour to get to school from 7 miles out.

I recently emailed Dr. Cheever...The tentative dates for the pre-matriculation program are July 9-20th from 8 AM until noon. Details are still being finalized and the focus of the program should be Gross Anatomy and Biochemistry....I hope this helps...

I recently emailed Dr. Cheever...The tentative dates for the pre-matriculation program are July 9-20th from 8 AM until noon. Details are still being finalized and the focus of the program should be Gross Anatomy and Biochemistry....I hope this helps...

PRE-Matriculation, What the heck is this? Who would want to start the misery early, this is first i have ever heard of this.

I officially withdrew from UK today.

Good luck to everyone who will be attending UK in the fall!

I concur with JDUB. Pre-matriculation? What? What are you going to learn in 2 weeks? I just don't understand. Plus, why hasn't anyone heard about this year considering it's in 2 months? Whatever.

I got off the waitlist for the apartment complex I wanted last week. I'll be moving in in the beginning of June. Anyone in the Lexington area at that time, if you'd like to earn $50 (I could negotiate more if need be) helping to carry a few heavy (dresser, desk, couch, W/D) things in for about an hour and a half, let me know. I'd really appreciate it.

............ Anyone in the Lexington area at that time, if you'd like to earn $50 (I could negotiate more if need be) helping to carry a few heavy (dresser, desk, couch, W/D) things in for about an hour and a half, let me know. I'd really appreciate it.

Count me in(unless its right before a test), Im broke. Where are you living?

Marz, about how much did you spend on books your first semester?
Since we're going to be on block schedules, do you just buy the necessary books right before the block starts, or did you buy them all at once?

Since I'm going to be HPSP for the Navy, I'm going to buy most of the required books (since they'll be picking up the tab). Was what was required clearly noted for yall?

Thanks.

Marz, about how much did you spend on books your first semester?
Since we're going to be on block schedules, do you just buy the necessary books right before the block starts, or did you buy them all at once?

Since I'm going to be HPSP for the Navy, I'm going to buy most of the required books (since they'll be picking up the tab). Was what was required clearly noted for yall?

Thanks.

I have no idea how much books cost because I didnt really buy any. I borrowed most of my books from a second year. The only books I have bought are PCM books because I will need them for 2nd year, and BRS books because I know I will use them in the future for Step I. But yes, the syllabus will tell you all of the "required" books for each class at the start of the block but people end up buying whatever was recommended to them by upperclassman. I wouldnt worry about it right now though because you will have a 2nd year "big sib" who can tell you what all to buy.

Edit: The student run school website is xxxx.com . Im sure most of you are bored and would like to see what you are getting yourself into.
Edit2: PM me if you want the site, not sure if I should be posting it on a public forum or not.

I started working on the Master Promissory Note sometime last month, but since it wants our address while in school I stopped. Ms. Gilbert in the Financial Aid Office said she would begin certifying loans in mid-May and she can certify them without me having completed the MPN. My parents and I are both moving (not into the same house) so I want to wait until I have a permanent Lexington address (and my parents have their new address). Does anyone know when the MPN should be completed?

Also, this pre-matriculation business is not exactly what I wanted to hear. While I'd love to actually get to know some people in Lexington before August, spending two of my four weeks of vacation in class doesn't sound ideal. What's going on with this?

Just to clear things up, the prematriculation program was not something advertised as optional or required for the whole class. Last year, like 15 people were invited to participate in it( I think based on not as strong of a science background, or being out of school for a while or something). Its not something to stress about.....you wont be behind in any way for not participating in it. Relax, and enjoy your summer.

Azul, I have no idea what any of this jazz about the pre-matriculation program is. Good luck to whoever's going to try this venture. As for me, I'll get a week between ending the whole research thing and starting, and I intend to fully relax and enjoy it.
As for the MPN, mine didn't ask for an address of where I'd be during school. I filled it out about a month ago, and only found out 2 weeks ago where I'd be living in Lexington.
Yay for certifying loans. Maybe we'll be getting our financial aid packets in the next couple of weeks.

Does anyone know how the waitlist works at Kentucky? I hope someone will answer my question. Thanks in advance!

I should probably call or e-mail, but I wanted to know if anyone else is in my shoes. I received my waitlist letter about 3-4 weeks ago. It said that they cannot give information about waitlist rankings. I will probably e-mail the admissions committee and see if I can obtain any additional info. I really had a great interview experience. From what I learned, UK seems to be one of the best state schools in the country.

Also, for those of you who are out-of-state future matriculates, what are your plans as far as obtaining in-state residency? Again, any information would be much appreciated.

Good Luck to ALL!

I'll be out of state, but it's my understanding that unless you marry a Kentuckian, you won't be gaining residency anytime soon. If someone's heard something different, feel free to post.

just to piggyback on the residency thing, you basically cant claim instate. I even asked about hypothetical situations like buying a house, but they still wont budge. Just get ready to suck it up and eat 45k, but i feel the experience i had during my interview and with the administration so far makes it seem like a worthwhile investment.

I was accepted as an out-of-state student, but my parents have always intended to move to Kentucky at some point in their lives. Luckily for me and my future indebtedness, they've bought a house in KY so hopefully I'll get the in-state rates. As others have said, marrying a Kentuckian will work. Outside of these, it seems spending a year or so working and living in the state for a non-educational purpose is about the only other way to do it.

I was accepted as an out-of-state student, but my parents have always intended to move to Kentucky at some point in their lives. Luckily for me and my future indebtedness, they've bought a house in KY so hopefully I'll get the in-state rates. As others have said, marrying a Kentuckian will work. Outside of these, it seems spending a year or so working and living in the state for a non-educational purpose is about the only other way to do it.

Azulejst, I don't even think that counts for residency. You can't piggy back off them; I tried with my own folks in Virginia. Have they (and you) lived in the house for a year? Since you're an independent student (as all professional students are classified as), it doesn't matter where they live. (I had a lot of experience with this over the application cycle because my father's military, and we had state residency issues).

Hi guys! I have another question. Why does UK keep their match list a secret? Every other place that I interviewed, they openly shared their match results. I am sure that UK did fine on the match, but it would be interesting to know the different residencies and places that their students matched. For many prospective students, this is an important piece of information which may impact your decision. Comments or concerns anyone?

Nevermind. I was able to locate the match list for 07. On another note, I am glad that it's May 15th! At least now, there should be some movement.