University of Kentucky Ob/Gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkrone1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a resident at the Univeristy of Kentucky. We somehow had 4 out of the 24 unfilled Ob/Gyn spots. We were humbled and surprised by the match turnout for our program. I was wondering if any of you guys on this forum had interviewed with our program, and if so:

What are your honest opinions of the time you spent at UK?

What factors determined your ranking or not ranking the UK Ob/Gyn program?

What things good/bad/indifferent have you heard about our program?

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed with your program this year. I honestly really liked the program and everything that was offered. I just was not a big fan of the city of Lexington. I grew up in a city similar in size to Lexington and I just wanted to move to a larger city. I thought the residents were great and very personable. The staff did a great job of introducing themselves to the applicants and answered any questions. I honestly can not think of any one thing in particular that would cause your program not to fill. Did you end up filling any of the spots after the scramble??

I interviewed and though the program was overall fine. I thought the facilities, however, were very outdated and thet the program had too many of its own grads. That being said, I think that when the new hospital is built, the program will be getting a face lift.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied but declined an interview there primarily because of location. However I will say that I heard rumors about the program on the trail, specifically that it was very malignant and that the residents were not happy. Of course these are rumors....whose knows if there is any truth behind it.

browncow said:
I interviewed with your program this year. I honestly really liked the program and everything that was offered. I just was not a big fan of the city of Lexington. I grew up in a city similar in size to Lexington and I just wanted to move to a larger city. I thought the residents were great and very personable. The staff did a great job of introducing themselves to the applicants and answered any questions. I honestly can not think of any one thing in particular that would cause your program not to fill. Did you end up filling any of the spots after the scramble??

Browncow:

Thanks for your comments. I honestly think location is a big thing with our program. Even though Lexington is a great city, most people that aren't from the Ohio Valley/Kentucky area aren't familiar with Lexington. i'm glad to had a good experience during your visit.

We did fill our spots very easily during the scramble. I was personally involved in the scramble, and we had 4 very good applicants signed within 30 minutes. That was the first time I had seen the "scramble" in action. Boy, that was crazy. Our Dept. Chair's email actually crashed b/c of the massive amount of email and application files he received.

kydoc06 said:
I interviewed and though the program was overall fine. I thought the facilities, however, were very outdated and thet the program had too many of its own grads. That being said, I think that when the new hospital is built, the program will be getting a face lift.

Kydoc06,

Thanks for your comments. I agree that overall, the university hospital is an old hospital, however, the maternity care are has been updated over the past couple of years. I honestly feel, that our L&D rooms are better than other private hospitals in the area. The operating rooms are very adequate with very modern laparascopic equipment. The Gill building is a brand new multi-floor building with some of the most advanced cardiac cath labs and OP surgery center in the area. Our resident continuity clinic is a stand alone clinic that has primary care (family medicine), primary dental, and OB clinics. This clinic is a nice clinic given the fact that the pts we see there are some of the most underserved of the area. Our generalist division is located in a stand-alone multispecialty office building (off of the main campus). Our Gyn/Onc clinics are located in an office/research buliding next to the hospital which is very nice and new.

The general medical floors are by far the worst parts of the hospital. Well, the ER is shabby as well (in the basement). The plans to build a new patient bed tower, ER, surgery center over the next few years will definitely help all residency program attract applicants. I think your comments bring up a good point though, during our interview season we should highlight the nicer facilities that we are using and point these out during the tour. Again, thanks for your comments.

gynsurgeon said:
I applied but declined an interview there primarily because of location. However I will say that I heard rumors about the program on the trail, specifically that it was very malignant and that the residents were not happy. Of course these are rumors....whose knows if there is any truth behind it.

Gynsurgeon:

Thanks for your comments. As I stated in a previous reply, I don think that a lot of our applicants are unfamiliar with the Lexington area and there is not a big "draw" to this area unless you have family or a general interest in this region. Its unfortunate that you have heard that our program is malignant and that the residents are unhappy.

Only speaking for myself, I don't think our program is malignant. Just being honest, the most malignant portion of our training is during the Onc rotation. The attendings are very approachable and try to create an educational environment around a busy clinical schedule. I am very happy with this program. My fellow residents seem happy. I think that most applicants that spent time with us would agree.

Again, Thanks for your comments.

Hey Bri,
I gave Bill some suggestions earlier in the year about ways to improve the interview day. One being take a drive around Lexington and show people where folks live and take them down to North clinic and South clinic. And hit some Lexington hot spots like driving through the Keenland grounds and stuff. Also, we need to add the Onc clinic and more of Markey to the tour.
Sorry I'm not staying, but I will miss you guys so much. Don't forget me.

II have not met anyplace or a group of people more malignant and unhappy then the people at kentuckys OB GYN program.. These people are the worst people you ever wanna come across.. I swear to you.. STAY AWAY YOU HAVE BEEN FORWARNED..

stephend7799 said:
II have not met anyplace or a group of people more malignant and unhappy then the people at kentuckys OB GYN program.. These people are the worst people you ever wanna come across.. I swear to you.. STAY AWAY YOU HAVE BEEN FORWARNED..

That is very unfortunate. Elaborate on your experiences specifically with UK's OB/GYN dept. It seems as though you are in anesthesia. Did you have any experience with ob/gyn at UK or are you referring to other departments.

I would disagree with you. I don't feel that our program is malignant or that the people here are unhappy. I'm not sure any resident at any program is happy all of the time (how could you be?).

Please elaborate on your comments!

Stephanieukmed said:
Hey Bri,
I gave Bill some suggestions earlier in the year about ways to improve the interview day. One being take a drive around Lexington and show people where folks live and take them down to North clinic and South clinic. And hit some Lexington hot spots like driving through the Keenland grounds and stuff. Also, we need to add the Onc clinic and more of Markey to the tour.
Sorry I'm not staying, but I will miss you guys so much. Don't forget me.

Hey Steph,

Good luck with residency. I'm sure you will do great. We'll miss you.

stephend7799 said:

As a current medical student at UK, I think that the OB/GYN program has the best group of residents I have been around thus far. At times they are a little less friendly on some of the more intense rotations, but even then they are always willing to teach or explain things, as long as you act interested. I think that they are probably the group of residents at UK that I would most like to hang out with, outside of the hospital. As far as the faculty, I think they may have some of the better attendings as well. Both the MFM and Gyn-onc attendings are very nice and willing to teach. There are very few people I have come across in my time here that I would describe as malignant and unhappy (one attending, to be exact). And this is coming from someone who is likely not going into OB/GYN.

butterfly0660 said:
As a current medical student at UK, I think that the OB/GYN program has the best group of residents I have been around thus far. At times they are a little less friendly on some of the more intense rotations, but even then they are always willing to teach or explain things, as long as you act interested. I think that they are probably the group of residents at UK that I would most like to hang out with, outside of the hospital. As far as the faculty, I think they may have some of the better attendings as well. Both the MFM and Gyn-onc attendings are very nice and willing to teach. There are very few people I have come across in my time here that I would describe as malignant and unhappy (one attending, to be exact). And this is coming from someone who is likely not going into OB/GYN.

butterfly:

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad that you felt welcome on our service and as always, we're glad you had the opportunity to learn a few things with us.

I was recently perusing these websites and found some very untrue statements about UK on them. I am currently a second year and I love it here. There are some rumors flying aournd that we are malignant... which is entirely untrue. Apparently after talking with some otehr residents who were medical students here 4-5 years ago there had been some unfriendly residents in the past. That is not the case any more. My colleagues are some of the brightest and most genuine people I know. They are all very dedicated to patient care and teamwork and most of them are down right hilarious. I hope those of you who did interview with us were able to experience how much we love our jobs and truly enjoy working together. Please feel free to contact me with further questions. I would be happy to answer them as I know your match lsit is due soon! Good luck!

The program lacks diversity - in the residents and the staff

Ok...I'm a 3rd year...and i hear the word "Malignant" being used alot when talking about programs...what does that mean? I hope that's not a stupid question...