University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just randomly picked number 2.

Dunno why. =)

I figure most will pick 1, then overfill to 2.

Maybe I shoulda gone to group 3 for smaller class sizes maybe? :idea: (seeing that most people will not take the time to pick another group... =) )

Members don't see this ad.

I also went with group 1 and the elective. So far I haven't been contacted by my peer advisor (I'm guessing this might happen just right before school starts). As far as housing, It looks like I'll be living in the lincoln Park/Old town area. Lab coats...has anyone tried one on? Do they run large? I'm 5'6, 125#....I hope a medium fits (if not, I already have my own :) )

Hey guys! I tried to get into group 1, but it has closed. Im in group 3 and signed up for the elective. :( I hate the enterprise password thing. i have standard passwords that I use for everything and now I have one more password to remember.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh my goodness! you guys have all registered? I shud set up my id and get it done soon... well i want to be in group 3... hopefully group 2 is more popular :D

and nope... i still have yet to hear from my peer advisor as well... :rolleyes:

no peer advisor call either, if they call my home #. I check my voicemail about every three weeks.

Boo. No one's joining group 2. =)

At least we'll see each other in the elective. =)

hey guys...try calling the campus housing office and check your status. I just called and they told me I have a room! :rolleyes: :laugh:

I think I'm living on Western and Taylor next year. =)

With an M4 and a math grad student. Seems cool.

And one of them cooks vietnamese food! mmmmmm pho.

Pharmalli said:
hey guys...try calling the campus housing office and check your status. I just called and they told me I have a room! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Pharmali - thanks, I just called and they said I'm assigned as well :thumbup: Not really sure who my roommate is though.

Nikkai - I'll be sure to come over to eat some pho :smuggrin: not really sure how western and taylor are... it sounds kinda "far" east on taylor... and most of the classes are the same between the groups (1.2.3) so we'll be seeing plenty of each other - besides the electives haha... :p

Trishias - I hate the enterprise thing too... the unfortunate thing about it is that it'll be replaced with an even more difficult system in about 2 years (so I hear from UI integrate)...

It seems that your peer advisor will contact you a couple days before your orientation.

Anyone know anything about getting a pharm tech lic.? From what I hear we need one during our first year :confused:

Gekko, Da great,

You can find the info. at http://www.dpr.state.il.us/WHO/phar.asp
Just click on Pharmacy Technician, Registered. I got this link from the UIC College of Pharmacy website. I think it's reliable. :D Just curious.. why do we need a pharmacy technican license anyways? I thought we don't have to go on rotations till our last year? :confused:

Pharmalli said:
Gekko, Da great,

Just click on Pharmacy Technician, Registered. I got this link from the UIC College of Pharmacy website. I think it's reliable. :D Just curious.. why do we need a pharmacy technican license anyways? I thought we don't have to go on rotations till our last year? :confused:

I think we need it in order to participate in some of the labs, especially the compounding lab we'll have second year(?).

I love the fact that admin isn't telling us this info. (Tech license). =P

So, I've already got my CPhT, do I need the Illinois State license too?

It was a bigger deal for last year's class to have an illinois (yes, it has to be Illinois and not just Cpht) license prior to starting class....maybe things have changed since then. I went ahead and renewed mine just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if it would be necessary or important for a P1 UIC student to have a labtop computer to take to school. Also did anybody hear of the UIC History professor who was killed when he left the train coming home from UIC???

I still haven't gotten my financial aid packet and it should have been here by now. :mad: Do you guys mainly have loans? Are u looking for scholarships, not just pharmacy but general scholarships?

Hey Trishia, I would give UIC Financial Aide office/bursar's office a ring about that.

I was offered loans and workstudy. No scholarships for me. Be out of state sucks. =P

Haven't really looked around too much for other scholarships though. Gonna concentrate on trying to establish IL residency.

1.5 months....

nikkai said:
Hey Trishia, I would give UIC Financial Aide office/bursar's office a ring about that.

I was offered loans and workstudy. No scholarships for me. Be out of state sucks. =P

Haven't really looked around too much for other scholarships though. Gonna concentrate on trying to establish IL residency.

1.5 months....

im trying to wait patiently! I talked to them june 7th and they said my case was going up for review in two weeks ie week of june 21st. still havent heard anything yet. gonna send an email shortly

Unfortunately, it seems that most students that are going for a second degree end up with just loan offers. If you filled out your FAFSA early enough, you may also be considered for workstudy options. I am going to try for scholarships but these are often competitive and time consuming. I'll probably end up work up part-time as a dietitian....I fiqure that it will keep my previous skills up to par and keep me from wasting whatever extra time I might have.

our thread has died! :(

New topic: Why UIC? For me, I am from Chicago and I like the program. Dont give us the interview stuff, whats the dish.

Anyone talk to their peer advisors yet? I have been e-mailing him with little questions.

:( I haven't heard from my peer advisor yet...

Why UIC: the city life! :laugh:

I received an e-mail from my peer advisor about a week ago. Anyone going to the July orientation? 

Why UIC? :eek: hmmm.... I agree with trishias that it has a good program... and ... :idea: the hallways look cleaner than the other schools I have been to. :D

Pharmalli said:
I received an e-mail from my peer advisor about a week ago. Anyone going to the July orientation? 

Why UIC? :eek: hmmm.... I agree with trishias that it has a good program... and ... :idea: the hallways look cleaner than the other schools I have been to. :D

I am. Are u in chicago already? Did u get your id yet?

ID?

Where do I get one of those? =P

And do I have to get state certified as a pharm tech before beginning the year? How's that happen?

My answer: Wanted to live in a city where it was different from what I have experienced all my life, but not too... um... hick? =)

trishias,

I have my UIC ID already. If you haven't gotten yours yet, you can go to SSB (student service building) to obtain one. I believe you need a copy of your fall schedule with you when you go to the ID office.

Nikkai,

this is what i found on the UIC webpage:

If selected for admission to the Doctor of Pharmacy program at the University of Illinois at Chicago, the student will sign a document, which indicates a willingness to comply with the following when classes begin in August:

1. To provide record of immunizations including inoculation against hepatitis-B, Tetanus, and PPD/TB test (annually);
2. To have applied for, or maintain a pharmacy technician license (annually);[/B]
3. To provide one’s own transportation to off-campus clerkship sites;
4. To participate and fulfill HIPPA requirements (annually); and
5. Other possible immunizations and/or requirements that may be required as needed.

July Orientation here. I'm going to try to get my ID the day before --- Still havent gotten any info on fin aid... :thumbdown: Trishias - did they get back to you yet?

I just applied for the pharm tech via the website Pharmalli gave me -

Gekko, Da great,

Why UIC? It was cheaper than UMich - but almost ranked the same and they have a PharmD/PhD program =).

Pharmalli said:
this is what i found on the UIC webpage:

If selected for admission to the Doctor of Pharmacy program at the University of Illinois at Chicago, the student will sign a document, which indicates a willingness to comply with the following when classes begin in August:

1. To provide record of immunizations including inoculation against hepatitis-B, Tetanus, and PPD/TB test (annually);
2. To have applied for, or maintain a pharmacy technician license (annually);[/B]
3. To provide one’s own transportation to off-campus clerkship sites;
4. To participate and fulfill HIPPA requirements (annually); and
5. Other possible immunizations and/or requirements that may be required as needed.

Thanks

Strange though... I wonder if I'll need to be state certified. I'm already nationally certified...

Anybody have the website for the Illinois Board of Pharmacy so I can get this process rolling? Thanks!

Coming very very soon ya'll. 4 day drive.... argh. =P

Hey Nikkai,

You don't need to do anything special to get your illinois license. The last time I checked it was $40 for new pharm tech licenses and $25 for renewal.... I could be off by a couple bucks or so.

I recommend getting it as soon as you have a chance to send in the paperwork. The state take a long time if you are a new applicant. Although different scenario, I just received my illinois dietitian license kind of recently. It took about 3 months for me to get it which is "great" cause now I have to pay for next yr's license in a couple of months. I just hope the renewal is much faster and much cheaper (I paid $200!!!)

As for WHY UIC?

Mmm.... I chose UIC over Texas-austin and SIUE cause
(1) I'm originally from Illinois and I have several friends who reside in Chicago
(2) I'm only 2-2.5 hrs from my boyfriend (hey, that's a huge improvement!).
(3) Illinois Medical District and UIC's reputation & program
(4) Didn't need a car...atleast right away.....I hate driving
(5) Other reasons but then this list would be way to long....

nikkai said:
Thanks

Strange though... I wonder if I'll need to be state certified. I'm already nationally certified...

Anybody have the website for the Illinois Board of Pharmacy so I can get this process rolling? Thanks!

Coming very very soon ya'll. 4 day drive.... argh. =P

Yeah it doesn't matter that you are nationally certified.....the state wants its money! http://www.idfpr.com/

Good luck on your long, long journey!

Gekko said:
July Orientation here. I'm going to try to get my ID the day before --- Still havent gotten any info on fin aid... :thumbdown: Trishias - did they get back to you yet?

I sent an email to Nicole Lee, the fin aid person for the college of pharmacy, and she said that she would look into. I would like to know how I will be paying my mortgage this semester! :oops:

I guess we should address greg3456's question. I'm not too sure if a P1 student will need a laptop - It might be nicer to have one. If you're living on campus I'm sure a desktop (or the computer lab) will be fine. For those who are moving into the area - DSL is cheap via SBC/Yahoo (I believe like 15-20 a month) but of course cable is faster.

What kind of computers will you be bringing to campus?

Apple G4 15" Powerbook with Susie installed :idea:

NYCillini said:
(2) I'm only 2-2.5 hrs from my boyfriend (hey, that's a huge improvement!).
(3) Illinois Medical District and UIC's reputation & program
(4) Didn't need a car...atleast right away.....I hate driving

Is your BF at UIUC? If so there's a cheap train ticket via Union Station/Amtrak round trip like 24-28 if you get your seat kinda early. If you goto the ticket window and say you're a student you'll get a discount. If you ever go, they have a "share fare" which will give you a discount if you go with others.

trishias said:
I sent an email to Nicole Lee, the fin aid person for the college of pharmacy, and she said that she would look into. I would like to know how I will be paying my mortgage this semester! :oops:

Ah... nice. Pleaase keep us posted... I submitted my Fin-Aid after you - and I would also like to know how I'm paying for my mortgage as well :confused:

I love driving. =)

Costs me too much though. =P

FYI: I'm engaged as of June 15th! =) Kinda late, but I figured I share it here too.

nikkai said:
I love driving. =)

FYI: I'm engaged as of June 15th! =) Kinda late, but I figured I share it here too.

Congrats!! :love:

nikkai said:
I love driving. =)

woohoo!* CONGRATS! ;)

Hello to all of you that will be attending UIC this fall. I am going to be an applicant for entrance of fall 2006 so I was wondering if you guys can give me some pointers. I was curious to know if UIC does a cut off with gpa? I know they have a minimum of 2.5, but with such a large applicant pool do they cut off people with certain gpa's when considering an applicant for an interview? I applied to pharmacy schools out of state and had interviews, but I had to withdraw all of my applications due to family circumstances and now I have to re-apply but in state only. My mistake was that I didn't apply to any schools here in IL. I feel that my chances are kind of slim because there is only 3 schools in IL, but I don't really have a choice now. Any advice would help. Thanks a lot.

By the way CONGRATS Nikkai on your engagement!

Thanks guys!!!

3 Schools in one state is quite a bit IMHO...

I don't think you'll have much of a problem if you got into other schools before.

In terms of the actual cut-off, I don't think any of us knows that for sure. All I know is that they invited 300 people for interviews out of 1000+ applicans, then accepted 160? students.

G'luck, but I'm sure you won't need it. :thumbup:

This might sound stupid, but does anyone know what we need to bring for orientation? I know we need our I-cards, but is that it? :confused:

PS: congrats nikkai :)

Pharmalli said:
This might sound stupid, but does anyone know what we need to bring for orientation? I know we need our I-cards, but is that it? :confused:

Dont worry, I was wondering the same thing! ;) I guess just the ID cards and maybe a pen to write stuff down, just in case they dont give us one. I dont remember if we needed anything else. Look forward to meeting u guys on wednesday.

Pharmalli said:

I THINK there's an orientation packet that they'll send out b4 you go right? Not sure :cool: ... but if you don't hear from them, can probably just call to ask~

Here's an idea:

Take a group photo! So people who don't go to tomorrow's orientation know who we're dealing with. =)

And on that note, am I the only one who's attending the August 18th orientation? =P

I'm attending Aug 18th's orientation. I'm assuming school starts that monday after..... someone please correct me if I'm incorrect.

Btw: Congrats Nikkai on your engagement. Do you have a date set yet?

8/18 orientation here too...

Yep, school starts on Monday the 22nd (at least that's what I saw on the calendar)

Let's talk hobbies - I'm curious if we got a bunch of home-bodies in our class. =)

Running, Sports, Reading, Snowboarding, EATING!!!!

Pharmalli said:

Hey guys... Didn't know who was who at orientation... haha... too bad - no group photo unless I missed something. Orientation was... a bit on the borring side no? I thought so. I was in the group that heard the Dean twice...

Hobbies? Mountain climbing, swimming, diving, lacrosse, biking, counter strike? Not as much recently... playing guitar I guess.... some other stuff as well - I would say I like to snowboard - but there arent really any mountains around here Nikkai - just trash mountains in Wisconsin :thumbdown: The best one I think is Wilmont or Alpine which are just across the wisconsin boarder - correct me if I'm wrong.

I took a look at Millenium park the day before orientation - cant wait to use my bike downtown before it gets stolen :laugh: .

trishias said:
Big Balla!!! University Village is nice and its close to the campus. Up and coming neighborhood. I wanted to live there but could not afford it. I think the website it www.universityvillage.com. I might be wrong, but from what i remember the condos were sweet.

I was just checking this link out, am i seeing things? is this really the cost of rent for a one bedroom in this apartment community $515 -520????? What's the catch? :eek:

i guess we should've all worn the same color clothes or something like that so we could have recognized each other. :D lol.. but i am sure we will get to know each other once school starts. Gekko, Da great, you were in the group that heard the dean twice?? me too! It wasn't that bad. It would have been better if they provided us with some sort of snacks or something though. I was sooo hungry and tired towards the end of the orientation. :p

My hobbies.... hmm... musics, movies, biking, and jogging.

Pharmalli said:
i guess we should've all worn the same color clothes or something like that so we could have recognized each other. :D lol.. but i am sure we will get to know each other once school starts. Gekko, Da great, you were in the group that heard the dean twice?? me too! It wasn't that bad. It would have been better if they provided us with some sort of snacks or something though. I was sooo hungry and tired towards the end of the orientation. :p

My hobbies.... hmm... musics, movies, biking, and jogging.

Totally Agreed! I was starving - it was a hard drive back down to champaign... I even settled for McDonalds... :( . I guess since we're both from Champaign - we would have been in the same group. haha. Should we wear Orange on the first day of class :laugh: I-L-L I-N-I.

Want to do the Forest Preserve Trail during a saturday? Its about 32.6 miles round trip biking from Skokie to The Chicago Botanical Gardens. If you just ride - you can finish the trip under 3 hours.

hey guys! orientation was a bit on the boring side and since i went to bed at 2:00am, i was way tired. Was pissed there werent any snacks because breakfast did last!!

John, are u in group three and were u wearing a blue shirt? I am in group three and was wearing lavender shirt and a blue skirt.

My hobbies (when I have time): reading, music, which is so much fun now that I have an i-pod (my BF got me one :D ) yeaaaahhhh!!

I thought Wisconsin slopes are nice? :confused:

People rave about them all the time.

So as time draws closer, are we going to be having a lil get together?