University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikkai

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, when in Rome... clutter the forums. =)

Let's see who's been silent about going to UIC or at least waitlisted?

Someone sell me a condo cheap! :D

Also, if there are any current or past UIC COP students that could offer some advice, that'd be great! =)

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my financial aide packet.

Workstudy?? =P

Does anyone know what kind of forms/letters we are suppose to get from UIC? The only thing I got was the medical form. Aren't we suppose to get a formal acceptance letter in the mail? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
It should have came with your immunization papers.

If it didn't call Paula. Then just print your email. It's the same thing. =)

Forms, forms, forms. When will it end!!! Applying was easy ;), the real work begins.

Oh... I guess I was expecting it to be in a big envelope. I didn't even get my financial aide packet yet. Does anyone know if we need to maintain our accumulative GPA above 2.5 only or is it for pre-pharmacy, science, AND accumulative?

I found this on the website:

Effective with Fall 2004 term, UIC will convert its grade point system to a 4.00 scale where 4.00=A.

To qualify as a candidate for graduation, a student must be of good moral character, pass all required courses in the curriculum, earn a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 (A=5.00), pay all indebtedness to the University, and be certified by the faculty of the College of Pharmacy. Academic policies related to the College of Pharmacy curriculum may be obtained from the Office of Student Affairs.

trishias said:
I found this on the website:

Effective with Fall 2004 term, UIC will convert its grade point system to a 4.00 scale where 4.00=A.

To qualify as a candidate for graduation, a student must be of good moral character, pass all required courses in the curriculum, earn a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 (A=5.00), pay all indebtedness to the University, and be certified by the faculty of the College of Pharmacy. Academic policies related to the College of Pharmacy curriculum may be obtained from the Office of Student Affairs.

That looks more like the protocol required to graduate from pharm school. I think the above poster was asking what they had to maintain to matriculate. (Am I right?)

Question to all: Does anyone know if there's a list of students yet? I need a roommate. =P

nikkai said:
That looks more like the protocol required to graduate from pharm school. I think the above poster was asking what they had to maintain to matriculate. (Am I right?)

Question to all: Does anyone know if there's a list of students yet? I need a roommate. =P

Did you get that e-mail last week? It has the whole list of people's e-mails listed... not sure it it's ok to do this... but maybe you can try mass e-mailing from there to ask... good luck ;)

chocoholic said:
Did you get that e-mail last week? It has the whole list of people's e-mails listed... not sure it it's ok to do this... but maybe you can try mass e-mailing from there to ask... good luck ;)

ditto

Since it has done on other threads, lets do it here. Lets post stats about ourselves and other info that u want ur classmates to know. I'll go first since i brought it up.

Name: Trishia (pronounced Tricia, because some people havent seen the
spelling. With an i, I hate it when people for get the second i)
Hometown: Chi-town
Undergrad school and year: Loyola University Chicago Class of 2004
GPA: 3.0
PCAT scores: 91 composite
Pharmacy experience: almost 7 years as a pharm tech in hospital
Schools u applied to (and status): UIC (accepted), MWU CCP(waitlisted), and
Creighton(waitlisted)
Family: majority of fam in chicago; engaged with a 2 year old son
Hobbies: checking sdn, reading and watching discovery health channel, blues
clues with my son and videos.

feel free to add anything else.

Name: Dominic
Hometown: Las Vegas
Undergrad school and year: UC San Diego, CO 2002
GPA: 3.7
PCAT: 98 composite
Pharmacy experience: <1 year Volunteer in Hospital, <1 year shadowed
Schools u applied to (and status):
UIC (accepted)
MCPHS Worc (accepted)
USN (denied)
HICP (who knows... *grin*)
U of MD (waitlisted - I rm'd myself)
And some others that I got denied
at... I'm just lazy to type. =)
Family: In Las Vegas. GF in OC.
Hobbies: Running running running. Sports in general. Video games when I can find the time (sadly not too much). Cars. Woo'ing my girlfriend. =) And loving my Lord, Jesus. =D

Did anyone receive a notice as to what classes we had left and whether it was okay to just pass the class (C)? I have an A, but man, I don't want to study for the final. =D

Also, where's everybody else? Rather empty UIC thread here. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
on the letter we received with the medical form, i think it said that all pre-reqs u have to pass with at least a C. see if your prof will let u skip the final since u have an A. No need to waste energy!!! ;)

I just realized something when looking at the letter and my prereqs.

I dunno if I fulfilled the humanities requirement! :scared:

I've taken history of different cultures... would that count? Jeez, I gotta call Paula tomorrow.

trishias said:
Name: Trishia (pronounced Tricia, because some people havent seen the
spelling. With an i, I hate it when people for get the second i)

pronounced "trish-uh"? second i, "trish-ee-uh"? sorry, just curious..hehe :p

As you can tell, im sick of studying for finals..!

kayjay said:
pronounced "trish-uh"? second i, "trish-ee-uh"? sorry, just curious..hehe :p

As you can tell, im sick of studying for finals..!

thats fine! its the first way. my mom wanted to be different!!

Name: John
Hometown: Chicago but have lived in New York, London and sometime in Galesburg, IL :confused:
Undergrad school and year: University of illiNo1s Champaign Urbana Class of 2004
Major: Molecular Cellular Biology, Chemistry and Health Administration
GPA: Fairly high
PCAT scores: Fairly high
Pharmacy experience: Research background in genetic metabolic diseases, shadowing doctors, EMT-BD, internships etc.
Schools u applied to (and status): UIC (accepted), UMICH (accepted), and
MCPHS-Accelerated(accepted)
Family: in chicago
Hobbies: Lacrosse, Swimming, Tennis, Golf?yeah a bit, photography and jammin =)

I heard that at Midwestern, P1 students are required to go on rotation once a week. Does anyone know if rotations are part of the P1 curriculum at UIC? Any ideas? :confused:

great to meet u John! :D

Pharmalli said:
I heard that at Midwestern, P1 students are required to go on rotation once a week. Does anyone know if rotations are part of the P1 curriculum at UIC? Any ideas? :confused:

Haven't heard anything about it but I think it would be cool to get some clinical experience early. I work with one of the new grads. Next time I see him, I will ask.

Gekko said:
Name: John
Hometown: Chicago but have lived in New York, London and sometime in Galesburg, IL :confused:

:laugh: There's nothing wrong with great ole Galesburg! I am from the area and I attend to WIU... :) Rural America Pride!

sarahjth said:
:laugh: There's nothing wrong with great ole Galesburg! I am from the area and I attend to WIU... :) Rural America Pride!

Haha... I don't know about this... Galesburg had plenty wrong with it :p although it had some type of charm for sure.

Hey what's everyone doing during their summer? I'm not doing too much... just research and bumming...

Work. Travel. Football until I get I get knocked out or pass out from the heat. =)

working, refinancing my place, potty training my son and spending time with my fiance and son.

Something dawned on me while I was trying to figure out how to pass the time at work... =)

It'd be great if UIC students could do a little icebreaker-social before the semester. Before orientation.

I know for me when I move out there, I'll know absolutely no one for at least a week. =P

nikkai said:
Something dawned on me while I was trying to figure out how to pass the time at work... =)

It'd be great if UIC students could do a little icebreaker-social before the semester. Before orientation.

I know for me when I move out there, I'll know absolutely no one for at least a week. =P

I would be up for that!

sounds good to me! I guess Im the resident expert on chi-town :p.What do u guys want to do?

trishias said:
sounds good to me! I guess Im the resident expert on chi-town :p.What do u guys want to do?

*grin* Explore. I have no clue what there is to do in Chicago.

Wonder if it's against policy to use that email w/ everyone's email address on it to send this out to everyone? =)

New to the forum, been at UIC for a while, (P4 now) here goes:

Name: Tom
Hometown: Chicago
Undergrad school and year: Wright Community college
GPA: ??? don't remember
PCAT: 89??? i think
Pharmacy experience: 4 years at walgreens
UIC (accepted)
thats it, all the eggs were in 1 basket...
Family: Chicago and AZ
Hobbies: motorcycles, motorcycle, and more motorcycles.

nikkai said:
*grin* Explore. I have no clue what there is to do in Chicago.

Wonder if it's against policy to use that email w/ everyone's email address on it to send this out to everyone? =)

it might be. don't want to offend anybody!

clevisR6 said:
New to the forum, been at UIC for a while, (P4 now) here goes:

Name: Tom
Hometown: Chicago
Undergrad school and year: Wright Community college
GPA: ??? don't remember
PCAT: 89??? i think
Pharmacy experience: 4 years at walgreens
UIC (accepted)
thats it, all the eggs were in 1 basket...
Family: Chicago and AZ
Hobbies: motorcycles, motorcycle, and more motorcycles.

can u answer question above regarding rotations? do we have some sprinkled in during the p1-p3 years or just the p4?

I got an idea :idea: ! There is an exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry called Body Worlds. I heard it was very interesting and have been wanting to go. With a school id, it will be $15 not including transportation. Here's the website:http://www.msichicago.org/bodyworlds/index.html

If u guys are interested, I'll start planning the trip.

trishias said:
can u answer question above regarding rotations? do we have some sprinkled in during the p1-p3 years or just the p4?

you only do rotations during 4th year. they have you do patient interviews and similar things in the experiental classes(P2-P3year), which you will hate. (the exp classes, horribly boring)

trishias said:
I got an idea :idea: ! There is an exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry called Body Worlds. I heard it was very interesting and have been wanting to go. With a school id, it will be $15 not including transportation. Here's the website:http://www.msichicago.org/bodyworlds/index.html

If u guys are interested, I'll start planning the trip.

I don't think we'll have our ID's before orientation, will we?

Sounds cool though. I really want to check out wrigley field.

Actually, I really want to get buying a house over with. =P

Hi guys,

I was reading something on the UIC website and I found out the orientation dates -> June 21, July 20, or Aug 18 - We have to attend one of the three orientation sessions offered throughout the summer for new students. Anyone received any info. about orientation in the mail? In addition, P1 White Coat Ceremony is on August 18 at 6:30. You can find the info at: http://128.248.232.63/pharmacy/cop/client/cal.asp?public=students

PS: I think it's a great idea for us to get to know each other before school starts. I'm in! ;)

nikkai said:
I don't think we'll have our ID's before orientation, will we?

Sounds cool though. I really want to check out wrigley field.

Actually, I really want to get buying a house over with. =P

Screw the Cubs. Go White Sox!!!! :D

Buying a house shouldn't be that bad if ur finances are right. Its a good real estate market right now. Tons of condo's and townhomes going up everywhere. Are u coming to the Chi early? If so, maybe I could help u look.

HI yeah

I'm coming the week before the week of June 15.

Originally I was looking at Roger's Park because of it being near the Lake. But a friend said it was something akin to a 1 hour train ride. Dunno how I"ll like that for four years.

Anywhere you would suggest? I hope to spend ~ 250k for a 2/2 condo.

Pharmalli said:
Hi guys,

I was reading something on the UIC website and I found out the orientation dates -> June 21, July 20, or Aug 18 - We have to attend one of the three orientation sessions offered throughout the summer for new students. Anyone received any info. about orientation in the mail? In addition, P1 White Coat Ceremony is on August 18 at 6:30. You can find the info at: http://128.248.232.63/pharmacy/cop/client/cal.asp?public=students

PS: I think it's a great idea for us to get to know each other before school starts. I'm in! ;)

Dang.

Would have been nice for some early notice. =P

I guess I"m attending the August 18th one.

nikkai said:
HI yeah

I'm coming the week before the week of June 15.

Originally I was looking at Roger's Park because of it being near the Lake. But a friend said it was something akin to a 1 hour train ride. Dunno how I"ll like that for four years.

Anywhere you would suggest? I hope to spend ~ 250k for a 2/2 condo.

Big Balla!!! University Village is nice and its close to the campus. Up and coming neighborhood. I wanted to live there but could not afford it. I think the website it www.universityvillage.com. I might be wrong, but from what i remember the condos were sweet.

Oh my goodness :eek: orientation so soon? howcome they never sent us (well... me) any info on that? oh wells... there's still the 8/18 one... i guess that's it...

hmm... does anyone by any chance know what kind of atm machines are there on campus? (boa,washington mutual, wells fargo, etc...?) Which one's the most convenient on campus and/or in town?

boy... getting so excited here! woohoo!* ;)

trishias said:
Big Balla!!! University Village is nice and its close to the campus. Up and coming neighborhood. I wanted to live there but could not afford it. I think the website it www.universityvillage.com. I might be wrong, but from what i remember the condos were sweet.

I remember seeing an ad in the chicago tribune.

I believe they were a little pricey. I'll check onthat though.

And 250k is my max! =P The lower the better of course. :D

I think there is a TCF Bank close by (inside of Jewel). It takes a few minutes to drive there though. I am not sure about the ATM on campus. I'll see what I can find out. :)

Pharmalli said:
I think there is a TCF Bank close by (inside of Jewel). It takes a few minutes to drive there though. I am not sure about the ATM on campus. I'll see what I can find out. :)

Thank you so much! :)
Acutally, what are TCF and Jewel? :p

chocoholic said:
Thank you so much! :)
Acutally, what are TCF and Jewel? :p

I know Jewel is Texas's equivalent to Albertson's (a supermarket). they have the exact same commericals, etc sans the same name.

Nikkai... I hear that 15- and 30- year mortages are rock bottom right now. I wish I had the guts (and finances) to buy a house. Good luck with that process.

nikkai said:
I remember seeing an ad in the chicago tribune.

I believe they were a little pricey. I'll check onthat though.

And 250k is my max! =P The lower the better of course. :D

the closer u are to downtown chi, the pricier the condos. where I am, which is 4500 south u can get some decent at the price ur looking for.

Are u bringing a car or using public transportation to get around? From my place it is about one hr on the train and maybe 30min by car to get to school, depending on how fast ur driving.

trishias said:
the closer u are to downtown chi, the pricier the condos. where I am, which is 4500 south u can get some decent at the price ur looking for.

Are u bringing a car or using public transportation to get around? From my place it is about one hr on the train and maybe 30min by car to get to school, depending on how fast ur driving.

Gonna bring a car for the weekends and emergencies. But generally will be using the El hopefully.