University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nikkai said:
Gonna bring a car for the weekends and emergencies. But generally will be using the El hopefully.

we get a upass for the semester, we dont pay $1.75 everytime we use the el during school.

Members don't see this ad.

Jewel/Osco is a supermarket, a chain of Albertson's (equals to Savon in some states). I think here in Illinois (at least where I live and worked), there is a TCF (a name of a bank) inside most Jewels/Osco Drug stores.

Sorry to bother you guys, but I have a question. Other than nikkai, has anyone else received their financial aide packet from UIC yet? The last thing I got in the mail was the medical forms. :confused: Should I be worry? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmalli said:
Sorry to bother you guys, but I have a question. Other than nikkai, has anyone else received their financial aide packet from UIC yet? The last thing I got in the mail was the medical forms. :confused: Should I be worry? :scared:

Did you turn in your fafsa?

On another note:

They gave me work study. Dunno if I should take it. =P I think I would make more money on my own. Any suggestions?

I did. :thumbup: Work study... only pays min. wage right? :eek:

I filled out an independent student form because I have a child. I called the office to verify that they received it and they said I should have a package in June. Nikkai, I think you could make more money outside of work study. I make ~$15 right now and because of the union we get shift differentials which round out to about $16ish an hr. But it depends on your situation.

I also got my packet. It probably took about a month from the time I filled out my fafsa (late april) till the time I received it. Of course I submitted mine via the net. If you use paper it takes longer.

the deal with work-study.... The govt pays the (min. wage) and then the place where you work may give you extra money on top of that. Some typically pay $10/hour but of course that depends on the type of work, how much the dept can add, etc. You just have to look around and apply. You may or may not be able to make more outside. Also I think there are certain tax free advantages to the work study...you'll have to call the office of financial aid to make sure.

Work study. Bah.

Never liked it (or accepted it) in undergrad and I don't think I am about to... I think.

Wish they had a list of jobs that can be applied there.

The idea of being a lab rat again isn't very appealing.

nikkai said:
Work study. Bah.

Never liked it (or accepted it) in undergrad and I don't think I am about to... I think.

I know UIUC where I graduated from had a list of work study jobs online. I would look around UIC's or call the Fin office and ask if there is one. Like I said before...I think there are certain tax advantages...which is something consider when you are comparing jobs and their pay.

Hey guys if u are interested, I am having a "Yaaaaay! She got into pharmacy school" party sometime in the coming month and u guys are invited to come. This way we could meet each other before the semester and hang out. PM for other info. :cool:

trishias said:
Hey guys if u are interested, I am having a "Yaaaaay! She got into pharmacy school" party sometime in the coming month and u guys are invited to come. This way we could meet each other before the semester and hang out. PM for other info. :cool:

I would love to go but I won't be moving until August. :( Gotta make some cash before school starts...

nikkai said:
Work study. Bah.

at UIC they have a tuition waiver program where if you work at a UIC pharmacy, they waive a portion of your tuition. It's difficult to get a position though, limited space. You have to sneak in when a P3 or P4 leaves.

Er?

Details please? =)

Any waiver of tuition would help this out-of-stater. =D

Members don't see this ad :)
NYCillini said:
I would love to go but I won't be moving until August. :( Gotta make some cash before school starts...

we are all for having parties so when u guys want to have a party we'll throw one! :D

It seems that only the Blue line stops at UIC. What about the red line? Do the trains ever come close enough together so you can make a quick transfer from one to the next (or do you have to get out and walk a couple of blocks)? If you miss one train how long does it take for the next one to come? Any idea how long it take to get from N. Sheridan to Polk?

NYCillini said:
It seems that only the Blue line stops at UIC. What about the red line? Do the trains ever come close enough together so you can make a quick transfer from one to the next (or do you have to get out and walk a couple of blocks)? If you miss one train how long does it take for the next one to come? Any idea how long it take to get from N. Sheridan to Polk?

Yes only the Blue line stops at Polk. What u would do is take the red line, transfer to the blue line get on the douglass branch at either washington or randolph, take it to polk stop, get off and walk around the corner to the COP. The transfer takes place in the subway. U go to an passageway between the lines to transfer. It depends on the train schedule and the time of day how it takes for trains to come. Go to www.transitchicago.com and use the trip planner function to plan for your specific route.

How far north on sheridan do you live? When I lived at Loyola, it took about 30-45 min to get downtown, so it might take about a hr or 1 hr, 15 min to get to UIC. The train is a great place to study, sometimes... :)

ah, good ol train bs. i am so glad i am done with that train!!! i used to have "train clothes." dirty, the train is.

trishias said:
How far north on sheridan do you live? When I lived at Loyola, it took about 30-45 min to get downtown, so it might take about a hr or 1 hr, 15 min to get to UIC. The train is a great place to study, sometimes... :)

I am not living there yet just looking at my options (4520 N. Clarendon, 5240 N. Sheridan as of yet). I'm also thinking about SSR since the idea of "rolling out of bed" sounds nice but I hope to hear more from the student what they think about living there. I hate having to look for a place while I'm still out of state!

NYCillini said:
I am not living there yet just looking at my options (4520 N. Clarendon, 5240 N. Sheridan as of yet). I'm also thinking about SSR since the idea of "rolling out of bed" sounds nice but I hope to hear more from the student what they think about living there. I hate having to look for a place while I'm still out of state!

Apts that far north, that are nice, go fast because of the Loyola students looking for off campus housing and it can be expensive because of the proximity of the lake. good thing ur looking early.

I'm sure it's not a big deal. At Butler students send messages via the class listserves all the time.

ButlerPharm.D. said:
I'm sure it's not a big deal. At Butler students send messages via the class listserves all the time.

Listserves are a different matter. You choose to be on a listserve whereas in this case the guy did not concel all the email addresses from all new pharmacy school students. When I was in undergrad someone made this same mistake with the entire college of ACES. Someone wanted extra graduation tickets (as we were only allowed four) which started absolute chaos because everyone else wanted extra tickets. Of course there aren't as many new pharm students as ACES students but still a lot of people might get annoyed.

All Pharmacy students at Butler are on a class list serve. Students are given the choice to remove themselves from the class list serve but other than that they you can use it for anything from finding a roommate to seeing if someone will sell you their pharmacology book etc.

Pharmalli said:
Hi guys,

I was reading something on the UIC website and I found out the orientation dates -> June 21, July 20, or Aug 18 - We have to attend one of the three orientation sessions offered throughout the summer for new students. Anyone received any info. about orientation in the mail? In addition, P1 White Coat Ceremony is on August 18 at 6:30. You can find the info at: http://128.248.232.63/pharmacy/cop/client/cal.asp?public=students

PS: I think it's a great idea for us to get to know each other before school starts. I'm in! ;)

Looks like the UIC staff has sent out emails for Orientation - check your in boxes... Also for maybe something fun to do in Chicago - perhaps we can goto RAVINIA - http://www.ravinia.org/. With College IDs you can get in for free. Just an idea... =) Although science stuff is sorta always fun... =P

What day are u guys going to attend the orientation? Maybe we can go on the same day and then hang out afterwards. I was thinking July 20th because I cant get anywhere at 9am after working till midfnight the night before. :oops:

Probably the last one, August 18...

I won't be moving down till August 14.

Really don't have any time before then to come down.

Work. Vacation. Etc. *sigh*

trishias said:
What day are u guys going to attend the orientation? Maybe we can go on the same day and then hang out afterwards. I was thinking July 20th because I cant get anywhere at 9am after working till midfnight the night before. :oops:

Hahaha... that's a great reason... We're pushing for publication in July and so my position will end by August so gonna take the day off in June =) Its too bad that we can't meet at orientation - Nikkai did you decide on a place yet? And Oreintation plus white coat thing makes August 18 a very long day for ya.

nikkai said:
Probably the last one, August 18...

I won't be moving down till August 14.

Really don't have any time before then to come down.

Work. Vacation. Etc. *sigh*

sorry! :( I guess we are all working the summer away!

Going down Wednesday to look at some properties. Only staying till Friday though.

Yeah, the 18th is gonna be exhausting...

I figure I'll go to orientation, eat nap white coat eat sleep. =)

And meet people hopefully

Nikkai, what do u do, ie job?

Engineer @ UNLV Transportation Research Center (Civil Engineering)

I know, it's random, but I get to use the minimal engineering skills I learned via bioengineering to pay my bills. =P

I'm also a DAT/SAT/ACT teacher at Kaplan Test Prep (They don't offer PCAT classes in Las Vegas yet).

And how did u get interested in pharmacy :confused: ?

NYCillini said:

Just called central Housing at UIC and they said I applied late for student housing on campus... ugh... and I applied in April... so good luck with housing NYCillini... btw are you on campus (UIUC) right now?

Gekko said:
Just called central Housing at UIC and they said I applied late for student housing on campus... ugh... and I applied in April... so good luck with housing NYCillini... btw are you on campus (UIUC) right now?

They probably considered you late because I think their last day to apply is sometime in February (my guess based on prior experience not at UIC) and we werent accepted until April.

I guess every year is different. Last year some UIC students said that they moved into SSR after the school year began because there were ample vacancies. I guess this year they maybe completely full.

It looks like I might living off campus anyway just because my roommate (an old friend) really needs someone to help her split the cost of rent. As of yet, I plan on moving down Aug 16th since my hospital is closing down on Sept 1st (Yup, NY budget cuts are a killer). By then, census should be low enough to get by with 1 dietitian till closing.

I turned in the housing application to UIC in person back in April. One of the ladies that works at the office told me that I have a 50/50 chance of getting a room and I should hear something in June. Haven't heard anything yet. :(

Pharmalli said:
I turned in the housing application to UIC in person back in April. One of the ladies that works at the office told me that I have a 50/50 chance of getting a room and I should hear something in June. Haven't heard anything yet. :(

Darn... June you say? I haven't heard anything. Although I know some will be P2's that already have housing in SSR. If we dont get housing do we at least get that 150 dollar fee back? :confused:

Gekko said:
Darn... June you say? I haven't heard anything. Although I know some will be P2's that already have housing in SSR. If we dont get housing do we at least get that 150 dollar fee back? :confused:

I fee, I believe, is nonrefundable :oops: ... I wouldn't expect getting it back from them...

I believe out of the $150, $50 is the housing application fee (meaning it's NON-refundable). The remaining $100 is just a security deposit for the room that will be assigned to you. I think if they can't offer us a dorm room, the deposit will be refunded back to us (hopefully).

I now need a place to rent. Place I'm buying won't be finished till next year. =P

nikkai said:
I now need a place to rent. Place I'm buying won't be finished till next year. =P

That stinks! What made you decide to buy a place here instead of just renting for all four years. Are u planning on being here permanently? Where r u looking to rent?

I'm looking at it from an investment point of view.

I'll be there at least 4-5 years which gives me that time for the property to appreciate. If I decide to stay in Chicago, then I have a place. If not, I can sell and maybe pay off a portion of my loan with the equity.

I would like to rent near the UIC area, I'm thinking. I figure if I'm renting, might as well make the best of it.

But who knows.

*shrug*

Have u guys gotten the registration e-mail and have registered yet? Are U guys planning to take to elective?

I got it an tried getting my enterprise id...

But.. um, where's my UID (or whatever they call it?) I'm looking at the acceptance email and am not seeing any type of applicant ID on there.

This registration system is confusing. =P

UID? Are you referring to the Enterprise ID or the UIN number? If you already have an UIC e-mail address (ex. [email protected]) ... your Enterprise ID would be abcd3. If you are referring to the UIN number, that should be the nine digits (in blue) on your icard (if you have one already) or you can find it on the acceptance letter that was sent out back in April. I believe the applicant ID on the letter is your UIN number.

I spoke to housing and they said that they are still filling vacanies. In years past they had some buildings closed for renovations but now they will all up and running for the fall....so there's still a chance those who applied will get a room.

Check for your UIN on your financial aid packet as well. It was on a letter I received from them.

Yeah might as well get started on the 12 hours of mandatory electives that we need... The new system called "enterprise" haha... yeah it stunk when UofI switched over to that... So basically you have to register there with your UIN which is your ID number - luckily for me its the same because University of Illinois Urbana Champaign is on the same system - but it was a pain trying to get a password that satisfied all the requirements. Also you'll be paying your tuition, ordering transcripts and finding your grades via this thing so be sure to remember the password.

My project got moved forward a couple weeks and so this week has become very busy, so I'll be attending the July orientation instead of the one on wednesday! So trishias if you want to hang out that'll be coo... bring the kid, well maybe not to orientation.

Did anyone else's pharmacy buddy (peer advisor) contact them?

Nikkai - did you buy a condo off of Roosevelt and Racine by anychance?

Gekko: UComm. Dunno the cross streets. =P

I figured out registration today. Just needed all my documents since I was out of town for a week and a half.

So, who's in group 2? =)
I also signed up for BPS 360. I figure it's only one day. *shrug*

I'm getting pretty stoked about all this.

That and work is getting fairly tedious... (Have a paper to get finished by end of July). *sigh* I didn't sign up for this. =P

nikkai said:
Gekko: UComm. Dunno the cross streets. =P

I figured out registration today. Just needed all my documents since I was out of town for a week and a half.

So, who's in group 2? =)
I also signed up for BPS 360. I figure it's only one day. *shrug*

I'm getting pretty stoked about all this.

That and work is getting fairly tedious... (Have a paper to get finished by end of July). *sigh* I didn't sign up for this. =P

haha.. I'm actually in group one - but most of the classes are the same... and ditto on the work thing -