University of Hawaii at Hilo COP - Applicants for 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, their laws for residency are different from the other 49 states. It is almost like a foreign country in that regard. Plus, they fail to make it clear to you that this is the case. I really had to dig to find out.

However, I will move there the first chance I get once I spend some time working in disregarded corners of the world for awhile.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. This is my first post and have also been waitlisted at Hilo. I can also confirm that the residency rules are very strict. I'm originally from Hawaii but lived in the mainland for several years. When I first moved back to Hawaii, I spoke the the pre-pharm advisor at UHH and was told to re-gain my residency first because once you are accepted as a non-resident, you won't be able to change your residency status. Good luck to all the others on the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
So now the real waiting begins since Liz just sent an e-mail to all alternate applicants.

Good luck everyone.

yeah. i just emailed liz replying, yes--i want to remain on the list :rolleyes:. good luck everyone

yeah. i just emailed liz replying, yes--i want to remain on the list :rolleyes:. good luck everyone

just checked my email inbox and i got that email aswell and replied to be kept on the waitlist :luck: good luck everyone! hope we all get in!

Hey Everybody-

I received the email about a revised alternate list and confirmed my interest in the school last night. Hopefully, this means we will be hearing something soon but I know this is when the real wait begins since she also confirmed that this year's alternate list will remain open until August. Good luck everyone, stay positive and hopefully a few of us will get to meet one another on the other side in the Fall.

CONGRATS! were you pulled off the waitlist??? :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
haha nm i just saw you posted before this... good job!

awesome!
one more question, email or phone call? =P

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Shimmery!!! Now you can feel relieved huh :) What was written on the Subject line of your email?

The subject line was "UH Hilo College of Pharmacy Admissions"

I'd love to, but I still have to take a cultural diversity class during the summer :p

haha aw sad =P but oh wells, you have to do what you got to do.

Yup, I'm just glad I got accepted somewhere......

I got in, but I've never been to Hilo or Hawaii, in general!!!!!!!! I'm from Florida and I have to choose which pharmacy school I'm going to by the end of the week!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody have any insight for me? Pros and cons of UH Hilo?? I'm soo confused, I'm making myself sick :(

uhhh i'll post more on this later but for one pro it's in hawaii!!! haha **im on waitlist, thought id tell you that first so you dont think im trying to con you out of hawaii**
hawaii is beautiful, i went there for the interview and i enjoyed the town, people and the environment. the pharmacy program seems to be based on the idea that pharmacists are supporting members of the community and expects their students to be active beyond the typical pharmacy workplace.

some cons:
the UH Hilo campus... I went on the tour of the place, the school itself, felt similar to that of a high school, it was rather small and older looking. as of yet, there is no pharmacy school building. it will only be completed 2014 (the end of our pharmacy education =P). their classes are held in portables(new ones) and in one of the newer buildings on campus.

I got in, but I've never been to Hilo or Hawaii, in general!!!!!!!! I'm from Florida and I have to choose which pharmacy school I'm going to by the end of the week!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody have any insight for me? Pros and cons of UH Hilo?? I'm soo confused, I'm making myself sick :(

If you don't mind the 4 year non-resident tuition (which is around 18,000 per semester for P1, If I remember correctly). Hawaii is a beautiful place to study, just remember to bring 10 umbrellas. Lolz...

I can't imagine choosing Hilo if I 've never been there. If you've got other choices and are considering choosing Hilo as THE ONE, you should take a mini trip there before making a huge decision that affects your 4 years of life. You have to see it to get a feel of whether you'd be comfortable with the location and the people.

spend around $500 on airfare and have peace of mind for 4 years. its worth it. =)

Last edited:
sorry let me rephrase that.
I don't mean to say "i can't imagine choosing Hilo in particular" I meant to say I can't imagine choosing any pharmacy school in general, for example, say some unknown school in the midwest in which I've never been.

I've been to one of the great islands of Hawaii and I love it but I haven't been to Hilo but I did apply here because I know someone that goes here and it's close to my hometown. And, like someone mentioned, HAWAII!!

I REALLY and genuintely appreciate the feedback. I'm new to SDN and didn't expect so many nice and prompt replies!

I'm making myself physically ill deciding where to go and its nice to hear from others. The only thing holding me back from Hawaii is that my family is literally getting angry at me for going so far away -- almost like guilting me, which is definitely not fair but that's the way I was raised: family first.

And I tried to plan a mini trip for this weekend actually. The flight came to $1500 (from Florida) and unfortunately I could not afford that. So my pro and con list is going to have to do. :/

Any other input would be greatly appreciated! Does anybody know current pharmacy students at Hilo? What do they have to say about it?

if you read through this thread, you will see some feedback from current students as well as some people's thoughts of hawaii.

happy hunting and good luck with your decision!

I REALLY and genuintely appreciate the feedback. I'm new to SDN and didn't expect so many nice and prompt replies!

I'm making myself physically ill deciding where to go and its nice to hear from others. The only thing holding me back from Hawaii is that my family is literally getting angry at me for going so far away -- almost like guilting me, which is definitely not fair but that's the way I was raised: family first.

And I tried to plan a mini trip for this weekend actually. The flight came to $1500 (from Florida) and unfortunately I could not afford that. So my pro and con list is going to have to do. :/

Any other input would be greatly appreciated! Does anybody know current pharmacy students at Hilo? What do they have to say about it?
If you plan more in advance you can get ticket much cheaper...about half of your stated price. I'm from the midwest so it's a similar traveling distance from what Florida would be and my last roundtrip flight cost $680.

Just curious, has anyone else heard back yet??

look at this site guys! Hawaii might not even be accredited!! Just lookin out....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_College_of_Pharmacy#Criticism_and_Controversy

That's a different school- Hawaii College of Pharmacy.... this was many years ago. And it was like a private institution on the island of Oahu. This institution is now defunct.

This thread is about University of Hawaii at Hilo College of Pharmacy on the Big Island (island of Hawaii), which currently has a CANDIDATE accreditation status.

I should know this, esp because I live in Hawaii. lol

Last edited:
If you plan more in advance you can get ticket much cheaper...about half of your stated price. I'm from the midwest so it's a similar traveling distance from what Florida would be and my last roundtrip flight cost $680.

I'm not sure if you realized this... but Florida is actually FURTHER from Hawaii than the Midwest is. Have you ever seen a map of the US in your life?

I'm not sure if you realized this... but Florida is actually FURTHER from Hawaii than the Midwest is. Have you ever seen a map of the US in your life?

LOL.... Florida is at the far end, bottom of the country. hahahaha A ticket from Florida to the midwest is already AT LEAST $300. So there is absolutely no way that you will find a flight to Hawaii for that cheap. I flew to Hawaii from Georgia and that costed me a whopping $800 RT. That was the cheapest that I could find and this was 4 years ago. Gas prices have soared over the years so airfares have increased dramatically. I don't know what Prepharm is talking about but you'll be lucky if you can find a RT flight for $680 to Hawaii.

Thanks for using one of your 6 posts for a smartass reply when I'm trying to help people, fyi the midwest is considered as east as Ohio (which is where my flight tickets originate out of) which is nearly the same longitude as Florida. Now take into account the fact that Hawaii is much further south to travel from the Midwest as compared to Florida and it's quite easy to see Florida is less distance. Next time actually try to prove a point :rolleyes:.

You're off to a GREAT start making friends with your colleagues, who are actually trying to help people while you sit back flaming.http://imageshack.us

You're off to a GREAT start making friends with your colleagues, who are actually trying to help people while you sit back flaming.

current cheapest roundtrip flight from Florida in the month of May: $910 roundtrip
current cheapest roundtrip flight from Ohio in the month of May: $995 roundtrip

Prices are comparable for July, didn't check other months.

Let's go ahead and set the record straight about helping people: misleading someone with erroneous information, instead of telling it to them how it is, for example giving someone expectations that a price will be very cheap, is not helping and is actually more harmful in the longrun as they prepare for an easy situation and in the end find themself in a much more difficult (more $$) situation.

Granted you did have a point with the midwest situation being at a similar distance. My bad. However, I'd recommend not just throwing out numbers you deem accurate and sitting back satisfied with yourself for having "helped somone."

current cheapest roundtrip flight from Florida in the month of May: $910 roundtrip
current cheapest roundtrip flight from Ohio in the month of May: $995 roundtrip

Prices are comparable for July, didn't check other months.

Let's go ahead and set the record straight about helping people: misleading someone with erroneous information, instead of telling it to them how it is, for example giving someone expectations that a price will be very cheap, is not helping and is actually more harmful in the longrun as they prepare for an easy situation and in the end find themself in a much more difficult (more $$) situation.

Granted you did have a point with the midwest situation being at a similar distance. My bad. However, I'd recommend not just throwing out numbers you deem accurate and sitting back satisfied with yourself for having "helped somone."
Guess you're not a airline guru, I havent intentionally been misleading if you feel that way. All my responses are from my own experience. I'm curious why you think I have something to gain from 'misleading people' as you say, clearly I wouldn't still be browsing the pre-pharm forum if I didn't want to help people. If you refer back to the original post that started this, a forum user complained of a $1500 ticket - my response is easily validated that cheaper tickets can be found. Hell, look at the numbers you pulled up, $500+ cheaper. My last ticket for the conclusion of finals...

[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif] US AIRWAYS
CUSTOMER RECEIPT
CUSTOMER NAME : **********/*******
NON-NEGOTIABLE

CONFIRMATION NUMBER: CYKXZM
FORM OF PAYMENT : AIRCK100-NO REF XFNIL A/C C
AXXXXXXXXXXXX1222/0611/0775
7Z $540.16/35.29/XT46.60/$
DATE OF ISSUE : 30OCT09 REF NO: 0372368247741

SEGMENT TIME DATE FLIGHT STATUS

1. LV CLEVELAND CLE 620AM 07JAN US 2631L OK
AR CHARLOTTE CLT 809AM
OPERATED BY: ** US AIRWAYS EXPRES
2. LV CHARLOTTE CLT 945AM 07JAN US 807L OK
AR HONOLULU HNL 313PM

*3. LV HONOLULU HNL 516PM 07JAN US 8560L HA CNTRL
AR HILO ITO 607PM
OPERATED BY: HAWAIIAN AIRLINES
*4. LV HILO ITO 109PM 17MAY US 8581L HA CNTRL
AR HONOLULU HNL 158PM
OPERATED BY: HAWAIIAN AIRLINES

DATE OF ISSUE : 30OCT09 REF NO: 0372368247742

SEGMENT TIME DATE FLIGHT STATUS
1. LV HONOLULU HNL 445PM 17MAY US 808L OK
AR CHARLOTTE CLT 737AM

2. LV CHARLOTTE CLT 1128AM 18MAY US 2649L OK
AR CLEVELAND CLE 108PM
OPERATED BY: ** US AIRWAYS EXPRES

USD FARE TAX-USD TAX-USD USD TTL
540.16 35.29 US 46.60 XT 622.05

/FC 07JAN10CLE US X/CLT US X/HNL US ITO320.08LLM14N/ACK U
S X/HNL US X/CLT US CLE320.08LLM14N/ACK LESS100.00USD540.1
6END ZPCLECLTHNLITOHNLCLT XT21.60ZP10.00AYXF15.00CLE4.5CLT
3HNL4.5CLT3

TICKETS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
PENALTY FOR CHG.
That is all, thanks.

Last edited:
[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]"DATE OF ISSUE : 30OCT09."
[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]
Not sure if you aware of this, but ticket prices change over time. Thanks for providing people with out of date information that is purely useless.
Not saying you intentionally mislead people. Just dangerous because you're not even aware of it.

That might? be all.

Last edited:
You're thick I'm not even going to bother anymore, my post above outlines everything. Sorry, no, i haven't purchased a ticket in the last month.

I just got an email..I got accepted. I have to reply by the 5/13 by email. Does anyone know how much tuition is and the living expenses in Hawaii. I am having some financial difficulties so I want to make sure that I can afford it. thanks

I just got an email..I got accepted. I have to reply by the 5/13 by email. Does anyone know how much tuition is and the living expenses in Hawaii. I am having some financial difficulties so I want to make sure that I can afford it. thanks

afford it? you gonna pay out of pocket?

Congratulations to you and those who have just recently been accepted!!! Would you mind sharing your stats? Let's see if some waitlisters have any hope or not. Thanks a lot.

Congratulations to you and those who have just recently been accepted!!! Would you mind sharing your stats? Let's see if some waitlisters have any hope or not. Thanks a lot.

I will give up my spot since I've decided on another school. Hawaii is going to be too expensive for me since my whole family is moving with me. Good luck to those on the waitlist..
my stat.. 3.04 GPA, 67% PCAT, 2 years pharmacy experience, Volunteer in the hospital and community..

Has anyone else heard back? I'm also on the wait list (since December). I've emailed admissions, but have not yet heard back from them. Good luck to all that are still waiting for a response.

Got a call from Liz today asking if i'm still interested and told me to expect an email within the week.

Accepted

Last edited:
You sure were busy :oops:

Thanks for getting us started :)

So....anything new that has happened within the past couple of weeks?