University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The housing that is real close to the new campus isn't really somewhere you want to live. Its still a rather sketch part of town.

Agreed, if the apartment is near Colfax, it's a very, very bad idea to live there. I have a friend who used to live near this place called Saturdays on Colfax and she often found clumps of human hair in the alley behind her place.

As I mentioned some areas of Aurora aren't that great either. I'd avoid anything that's off of Havana also... the joys of having some dude banging down your door demanding to speak to "Susan" at 11pm and begging you to open the door.

Apartmentratings.com is a great way to find out that at least the place is safe. Some of the reviews are a bit over dramatic but at least you'll know if there's been any major issues and crimes recently.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd hold off on finding an apartment for a little while. Its still not very clear when classes will be moving out to the new campus. The zipcode for the 9th ave campus is 80262. Housing around the 9th ave campus isn't too bad. I live in a one bedroom 4 blocks from campus and pay 585 w/parking. The housing that is real close to the new campus isn't really somewhere you want to live. Its still a rather sketch part of town. Some of the semi close areas are nice, but expensive (ie: stapleton, lowry).

They mentioned that the class of 2010 and 2011 will be at fitzsimons campus. They were not sure if the 09 class was going or not. I may be mistaken though. I have looked at a couple apartments online already. I found an apartment that was about 7 minutes called Amber Ridge Apartments in aurora. It looks decent but I guess i dont know.

no, i just had my 2nd interview last friday so that's kind of soon. and i'm sure there are some non-native speakers in the march 14 interview so i expect it to be late march or early april.

and you called them to ask when the people w/ 2nd interviews gonna hear? if so, thanks for calling :thumbup:

what other schools are you applying to?

I did call yesterday, she told me that the ppl with the 2nd interview would find out in April, after all the interview is completed. That sucks! Are you in state?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did call yesterday, she told me that the ppl with the 2nd interview would find out in April, after all the interview is completed. That sucks! Are you in state?

yea it sucks that they have to do that. i mean, sometimes native speakers can struggle to articulate their point of views too.

but it is what it is. it sucks we have to wait longer than the others. but at least the interviewer was NICE :laugh: .

i'm from california. i applied there b/c i have a lot of family over there so if i go there, living is not going to be a factor.

looks like you have great stats and credentials though biogurl6397 so don't worry. i'm sure you'll hear good news :thumbup:

yea it sucks that they have to do that. i mean, sometimes native speakers can struggle to articulate their point of views too.

but it is what it is. it sucks we have to wait longer than the others. but at least the interviewer was NICE :laugh: .

i'm from california. i applied there b/c i have a lot of family over there so if i go there, living is not going to be a factor.

looks like you have great stats and credentials though biogurl6397 so don't worry. i'm sure you'll hear good news :thumbup:

biogurl6397 and doublehh03.. I think my situation is worse.. as I said before, my GPA is good enough.. but I'm sure my English is not as good as yours since I still occasionally make grammatical mistakes and speak rather slowly with a little accent!! You got the 2nd interview with perfect English.. and I didn't get the phone interview.. I try to keep thinking.. probably I rocked during my interview that's why I got to skip the 2nd interview.... but can't help getting more and more and more.. worried. :scared:
I really hope that all of us can get together at school someday and laugh about this.
I hate that they make it harder for non native speakers. :(

biogurl6397 and doublehh03.. I think my situation is worse.. as I said before, my GPA is good enough.. but I'm sure my English is not as good as yours since I still occasionally make grammatical mistakes and speak rather slowly with a little accent!! You got the 2nd interview with perfect English.. and I didn't get the phone interview.. I try to keep thinking.. probably I rocked during my interview that's why I got to skip the 2nd interview.... but can't help getting more and more and more.. worried. :scared:
I really hope that all of us can get together at school someday and laugh about this.

well they asked tougher questions in the 2nd interview, WAY WAY tougher. even if you're a native speaker, you're bound to stutter once or twice.

i dont know, you should call them. i mean, if u didn't get the 2nd interview, your application should be evaluated already. or maybe the put "native speaking" files and "non-native speaking" files separately. :laugh:

don't worry though, your stats are great (tremendous in fact). i would call just to make sure about non-native speakers w/o 2nd interviews, when to expect the result?

I'd hold off on finding an apartment for a little while. Its still not very clear when classes will be moving out to the new campus. The zipcode for the 9th ave campus is 80262. Housing around the 9th ave campus isn't too bad. I live in a one bedroom 4 blocks from campus and pay 585 w/parking. The housing that is real close to the new campus isn't really somewhere you want to live. Its still a rather sketch part of town. Some of the semi close areas are nice, but expensive (ie: stapleton, lowry).

So, they don't really know when the Fitzsimmons building will be available to us? Wow, I am glad you responded to this. I was already going to contact some Walgreens in Aurora for a transfer. Thanks.

They mentioned that the class of 2010 and 2011 will be at fitzsimons campus. They were not sure if the 09 class was going or not. I may be mistaken though. I have looked at a couple apartments online already. I found an apartment that was about 7 minutes called Amber Ridge Apartments in aurora. It looks decent but I guess i dont know.

I'm in the 2010 class. You need to take what they tell you about the move with a grain of salt. When I interviewed, they told me we'd be out there already and obviously thats not the case. Kind of like they told my brother that graduated from the med school in 06 that'd he'd be out there after his second year. With all the snow this year construction is farther behind. I'm sure we'll get out there eventually, but I wouldn't count on it being the beginning of the year even for the class of 2011.

When they last talked to my class about it, they said they were "hoping" to have us out there somewhere mid fall semester to winter break.

I'm in the 2010 class. You need to take what they tell you about the move with a grain of salt. When I interviewed, they told me we'd be out there already and obviously thats not the case. Kind of like they told my brother that graduated from the med school in 06 that'd he'd be out there after his second year. With all the snow this year construction is farther behind. I'm sure we'll get out there eventually, but I wouldn't count on it being the beginning of the year even for the class of 2011.

When they last talked to my class about it, they said they were "hoping" to have us out there somewhere mid fall semester to winter break.

What do you suggest we do? Should we look at housing around the 9th ave campus? Are the two campus that far away from each other? Also, what did you do your first year for a roommate? Did you have one? If so, where did you find one?

Hey, anyone who lives in Colorado know of any good christian churches around campus?

There is no shortage of churches in Denver. You'll find them listed in the phonebook. :) I think they even list them by denomination so you can find the "goodest" one.

well they asked tougher questions in the 2nd interview, WAY WAY tougher. even if you're a native speaker, you're bound to stutter once or twice.

i dont know, you should call them. i mean, if u didn't get the 2nd interview, your application should be evaluated already. or maybe the put "native speaking" files and "non-native speaking" files separately. :laugh:

don't worry though, your stats are great (tremendous in fact). i would call just to make sure about non-native speakers w/o 2nd interviews, when to expect the result?

On my pharmcas application i checked that i english wasn't my primary language, yet it is! Why did I do that:confused: ? Silly of me. Therefor, I think if they are interested in you then the second interview is required if you checked that NO on that box (is english your primary language). I really think the second interview process just determines if the interviewer can understand you or not...than that would be the deciding factor for the acceptace. But, if you can artticulate well and speak clearly then I really think that you'll be fine. It is tougher, i think because she wants to see if we could carry on a conversation. That's why the question's was so intense.
Do you agree doublehh03?

I am very picky about the church that I go to. I didn't know if anyone had any recommendations of a church that they enjoy before I start searching every church in Denver.

Members don't see this ad :)

I really think you should call them and ask! It would save you the headache's!

I am very picky about the church that I go to. I didn't know if anyone had any recommendations of a church that they enjoy before I start searching every church in Denver.

I like Meryln Hickey Orchard Christian Church. Its at Arapahoe county.
Oh, I did just drove by the the new campus...It is so NICE. But, the surrounding area...living.... is not for sure. I dont think that you should (esp. a girl) to live in that particular area. To be on the safer side, live about 10-15 minutes away. Good luck to u.

The point of my post was that most people ARE picky about their church. There are many brands of christian churches, which is where a listing by denomination would come in handy. I think it was a good suggestion. :)

Question for all Colorado natives, especially people who live in Denver/Aurora or around that general metro area: what percentage of people would you say are religious there?

What do you suggest we do? Should we look at housing around the 9th ave campus? Are the two campus that far away from each other? Also, what did you do your first year for a roommate? Did you have one? If so, where did you find one?

I'd wait it out for a while and see if they can get some more specific dates. Your class is going to the the first group to move out there though. The campus's aren't that far from each other, maybe 10-15 minutes. Frankly I may just stay where I am now even when the school moves. The places that I would want to move aren't that much closer and are a fair bit more expensive. I used places like rent.com and forrent.com to look for places. I don't live with anyone. I had enough of that during my undergrad. UCHSC keeps a list of people looking for a roommate.

Question for all Colorado natives, especially people who live in Denver/Aurora or around that general metro area: what percentage of people would you say are religious there?

Can't give a percentage but I would guess the majority or at least 50/50. Denver is odd, to the south you have Colorado Springs which is definitely religious and to the north you have Boulder which isn't. It's diverse here and I have friends who are religious and others who aren't I've never heard anyone complain about being uncomfortable here.

Is anyone (accepted) just worried about getting all these papers back to the school and making sure they get your money!? lol....

Is anyone (accepted) just worried about getting all these papers back to the school and making sure they get your money!? lol....

Very much so and I live in Denver. Each piece of paper goes to an ever so slightly different address so I sent in four different envelopes. I made sure to send them out this Monday so if anything goes wrong, I have time to drive down to 9th and Colorado, refill everything and hand them in personally.

is there anyone who is a nonnative english speaker and who didnt get a secondary interview , but had recived an acceptance latter.

is there anyone who is a nonnative english speaker and who didnt get a secondary interview , but had recived an acceptance latter.

I don't know about that, but there should be another round of secondary interviews coming up soon, since there were on-campus interviews last week (after the secondaries were scheduled for other people) and Beverly has been out of the office this week...

I definately am. I am going to try to overnight most of them by saturday. So far I have completed most of the forms and finished my FAFSA. Where is everone else at?

a poster called and said this MAY happen but no one has posted on SDN. but SDN is only a small sample so.

Hi~pharm11. I guess we are in the same boat right now. :oops: I'm non native, didn't get the secondary interview, and haven't got the acceptance letter.

I called the admission's office today and asked how many acceptance letters had been sent so far.. and she said that she didn't know. (What does she know then? )
And she also said.. there can be three kinds of cases for non native speakers.
one, we will get accepted w/o the phone interview. (how nice~!)
two, we will get the phone interview.
three, we will receive the rejection letter w/o the phone interview. :mad:

That's all she could tell me today.

She says the decision making process will be continued until mid April and unless we get the rejection letter, we have chances.
There was nothing I didn't expect to hear.

Does anyone have any idea how many acceptance letters were sent on the 12th? On the phone today, it sounded like there weren't many.

Anyway... for those who are still waiting for the result, let's just endure this hard time and hope for the best. :)

Hi~pharm11. I guess we are in the same boat right now. :oops: I'm non native, didn't get the secondary interview, and haven't got the acceptance letter.

I called the admission's office today and asked how many acceptance letters had been sent so far.. and she said that she didn't know. (What does she know then? )
And she also said.. there can be three kinds of cases for non native speakers.
one, we will get accepted w/o the phone interview. (how nice~!)
two, we will get the phone interview.
three, we will receive the rejection letter w/o the phone interview. :mad:

That's all she could tell me today.

She says the decision making process will be continued until mid April and unless we get the rejection letter, we have chances.
There was nothing I didn't expect to hear.

Does anyone have any idea how many acceptance letters were sent on the 12th? On the phone today, it sounded like there weren't many.

Anyway... for those who are still waiting for the result, let's just endure this hard time and hope for the best. :)

mid-april, you have GOT to be kidding me. then what's the point of a 2nd interview if they're gonna pick and choose? i don't like their process as days go on.

mid-april, you have GOT to be kidding me. then what's the point of a 2nd interview if they're gonna pick and choose? i don't like their process as days go on.

Yeah.. Tell me about it! Actually.. she said the whole decision making process would go on till mid-April OR the end of April. I don't know how much I can count on her though..

(sigh)

I remember the frustration of waiting. This time last year, I was feeling pretty freaked out waiting to hear whether my academic career would continue in the direction I wanted it to go. I didn't sleep well. I had a hard time concentrating in school (my grades suffered as a result which added to the stress). I snapped at people randomly. It was ugly. Hang in there, it does come to an end. I hope the news is good for everyone.

I remember the frustration of waiting. This time last year, I was feeling pretty freaked out waiting to hear whether my academic career would continue in the direction I wanted it to go. I didn't sleep well. I had a hard time concentrating in school (my grades suffered as a result which added to the stress). I snapped at people randomly. It was ugly. Hang in there, it does come to an end. I hope the news is good for everyone.

no, i'm not mad at the process of waiting, but their process for non-native speakers. i mean, say you came here when you were 5 so you basically grew up here and speak english, you still have to do the phone interview. and yet there are those that don't have to and still get in? then what's the point?

i just don't like that. waiting is fine w/ me actually.

no, i'm not mad at the process of waiting, but their process for non-native speakers. i mean, say you came here when you were 5 so you basically grew up here and speak english, you still have to do the phone interview. and yet there are those that don't have to and still get in? then what's the point?

i just don't like that. waiting is fine w/ me actually.

Sorry. That's frustrating. Wait until you see what else they do to you. :laugh: I just hope you don't get the poodles jumping through hoops speech from one of the professors. This is only the beginning and no one is exempt from the programmed harassment. It's just part of the process and hopefully will be worth it in the end. :luck:

I definately am. I am going to try to overnight most of them by saturday. So far I have completed most of the forms and finished my FAFSA. Where is everone else at?

I finished my FAFSA a couple days ago and I sent out all my paperwork to them except the immunization papers which is not due for a while. I need to make a list of things to do and I don't want to wait until last minute.

Does anyone know when the last week is that everyone will hear if they got accepted or even wait listed? I am getting so depressed waiting for a response. I really hope I get accepted. Colorado is where I want to go.

Hey bro, it's Shaun....

They said the first week in April is the last set of acceptances that they send out. So, I would imagine you would hear something by the third week of April. Don't quote me though. Try to have patience and don't let it consume you. Concentrate on your studies to keep your mind off of it.

Hey bro, it's Shaun....

They said the first week in April is the last set of acceptances that they send out. So, I would imagine you would hear something by the third week of April. Don't quote me though. Try to have patience and don't let it consume you. Concentrate on your studies to keep your mind off of it.

Thanks Shaun..
well.. What can I do about it anyways.. :rolleyes:
Actually I have an OrgChem II exam on Monday.. It's getting harder these days. need to focus!

I saw that you had an interview on 28th. right?
So did I, but don't remember who you were among those people. :rolleyes:

Congrats on your acceptance and enjoy the privileged comfort!

a poster called and said this MAY happen but no one has posted on SDN. but SDN is only a small sample so.
hi there , i amsorry i dont understand what u mean by a this . can u clarify this please. i am really worried and i badly want to understad every word of this message
thank u

Thanks Shaun..
well.. What can I do about it anyways.. :rolleyes:
Actually I have an OrgChem II exam on Monday.. It's getting harder these days. need to focus!

I saw that you had an interview on 28th. right?
So did I, but don't remember who you were among those people. :rolleyes:

Congrats on your acceptance and enjoy the privileged comfort!

Hmmm.. I was wearing a dark blue shirt and a red tie. I had red glasses on, short brown hair. I was cracking jokes the whole time in the lobby.. if that helps at all. I wish the acceptance was comforting... it's frantic right now because of all the papers to fill out and all the money to worry about! Trust me, it's not as great as it may seem.

hello , those students who are going to uc sop plz ask ur classmates who are non native english speakers and who got in without the secondar interivew
i am really worried it will really help
thanks

Hmmm.. I was wearing a dark blue shirt and a red tie. I had red glasses on, short brown hair. I was cracking jokes the whole time in the lobby.. if that helps at all. I wish the acceptance was comforting... it's frantic right now because of all the papers to fill out and all the money to worry about! Trust me, it's not as great as it may seem.

HAHAHA.. I remember you. You seemed like the least nervous guy of all.
Congrats agian.
I was the asian girl wearing a black suit(skirt) with a ponytail.
I was very quiet throughout. We didn't talk so.. I don't know if you'd even know that I existed.. :p

Well.. I'd rather be worring about papers and money.. you know that!
I'll try to be just calm and think positively until I hear any news.

Hope to see you again at school. :)

I was a little nervous, but that was my third interview, so I had some good practice.

Does anyone know of anyone being accepted then doing poorly in their classes (that are not prerequisites of the school) and being rejected as a result? I just am so caught up in getting everything done for the school that it's hard to focus in class.

I was a little nervous, but that was my third interview, so I had some good practice.

Does anyone know of anyone being accepted then doing poorly in their classes (that are not prerequisites of the school) and being rejected as a result? I just am so caught up in getting everything done for the school that it's hard to focus in class.

I dont think it matters. As long as you get C's in the required classes I think you should be ok. I know exactly what you mean about trying to focus. Before I got accepted I studied nearly every day of the week. I have studied once or twice since getting accepted. Part of it is due to getting all the paperwork done, the other part is due to the focus aspect. A part of me still has that instinct to get A's but another part tells me that I can still get C's without having to study since there is only about a month left of school.

Shaun,
You are accepted no matter what happens this semester. The only classes you need to pass are the pre-reqs with a C (not a C-). Other that that, relax you're in. I ended up dropping the additional classes that I am taking because I don't see a point in stressing myself out. In your case I think you are working toward your bachelors right? So you may need to pass. "C's get degrees". Plus, your GPA is going to start over once pharm school starts.

Does working towards my bachelors make a difference? What if I was just taking classes at a community college? I'm just saying what if the school was like "oh, he's sluffing off now that he's in... we don't want that kind of character!"

I don't plan on dropping any classes.. I just won't be doing as well as I have in the past.

I don't plan on dropping any classes.. I just won't be doing as well as I have in the past.

I advise continuing to try your hardest. What if you overdo underperformance and end up with a D or C- in some pre-req? They WILL rescind your acceptance. I suspect (wild speculation on my part) that may have happened to a couple of people who just disappeared from class not long after orientation.

I finished up all of my pre-reqs last semester so the classes I'm taking this semester are for my own enrichment and for my B.S. My only motivation right now is to maintain my GPA so I can graduate with the highest honors I can pull. Very, very lucky that I got the letter of acceptance this week since I had spring break. I had the time to be excited, freak out, do some paper work and now get back to work with my classes.

So what happens after we send in the paperwork? Do they send an e-mail/letter? I got accepted but i am still nervous that the paperwork is going to get lost. I sent it by ups and is scheduled to arrive on the 28th. yeah....kinda like waiting to see if i get accepted all over again:scared:

We just got an update on the move out to Anchutz. Apparently the P2 and P3 classes will be at the 9th ave campus through the entire fall semester of 07, and then moving out to Anchutz over winter break. The email also mentioned that the move schedule for next year's P1 class has yet to be finalized. I'd guess that means you'll move out there sometime mid semester.

Any updates on the remaining acceptance letters? I'm from California and I'm pretty nervous since they only accept a handful of out of state students..