University of Colorado Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gdbaby said:
Good morning future classmates. 67 and sunny today--certainly a factor on choosing CU over Iowa! I am walking over to the admissions dept to drop off my check this afternoon (had to wait til payday).

Does anyone know if we can start writing those one-page thingies for scholarships now or do we have to wait until we get more info?

You might want to drop by the financial aid office to talk to them while you are there (same building as the bookstore). I talked to Mercedes when I was there and she was very helpful. I asked her what we need to do regarding grants, scholarships, etc. and she said that we don't need to fill out anything. They are based on need and are automatic. I'm sure that there are other private sources that you could apply for, but let me know if you find out anything different.

Members don't see this ad.

gdbaby said:
I need to spend some time self-loathing over eating a half a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch this morning. I say to myself "you're a triathlete in training, you can eat whatever you want," but really there is no excuse for this behavior.

You're hilarious :laugh:

By the way, I realized earlier today that I only have 4 months left before I retire. Some people may view it as quiting my job & changing careers, but I like to view it as retirement. In my retirement, I am going to start with dissecting a cadaver. I can hardly wait.

moranwoods said:
On another note, do any of you know the tentative schedule for the orientaiton week starting Aug. 7?

Thanks!

gdbaby was correct. In the Pre-MS1 student guide, there is an outline for the orientation week.

M - Administration stuff - IDs, etc.
T & W - MS1 retreat at Snow Mountain Ranch YMCA
Th - finish logistical stuff & stethoscope ceremony in the evening
F - TBA (lectures or workshops)

Members don't see this ad :)
TacoStand said:
Originally Posted by gdbaby
I need to spend some time self-loathing over eating a half a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch this morning. I say to myself "you're a triathlete in training, you can eat whatever you want," but really there is no excuse for this behavior

You're hilarious

By the way, I realized earlier today that I only have 4 months left before I retire. Some people may view it as quiting my job & changing careers, but I like to view it as retirement. In my retirement, I am going to start with dissecting a cadaver. I can hardly wait.

Hey TacoStand, after I met you for lunch today, I went back to the office and found that the company had bought pizza for everyone - so I of course fulfilled my obligation as a dedicated employee and ate a couple of slices. As I returned to my office full of mexican food and pizza I thought to myself... "gdbaby's worried about a little cereal? She's got nothin' on me." :laugh:

medicalbound said:
Hey TacoStand, after I met you for lunch today, I went back to the office and found that the company had bought pizza for everyone - so I of course fulfilled my obligation as a dedicated employee and ate a couple of slices. As I returned to my office full of mexican food and pizza I thought to myself... "gdbaby's worried about a little cereal? She's got nothin' on me." :laugh:
HA! So we were supposed to go to the Denver Auto Show last night, thinking our 2 year old would LOVE it. We decided to go out for dinner first--after a slab of BBQ ribs, mashed potatoes and cole slaw (each! My son looked at us in disgust while he ate a fruit plate and roasted chicken) we felt to lathargic to go to the damn show. thank goodness we didn't tell our son we were going, so he didn't have a tantrum.

I am pretty sure our son looks at us most days and thinks "a troop of monkeys could take better care of me." I am taking him to the zoo today to prove him wrong!

PS--what's with people going to lunch together without me? unacceptable.

gdbaby said:
HA! So we were supposed to go to the Denver Auto Show last night, thinking our 2 year old would LOVE it. We decided to go out for dinner first--after a slab of BBQ ribs, mashed potatoes and cole slaw (each! My son looked at us in disgust while he ate a fruit plate and roasted chicken) we felt to lathargic to go to the damn show. thank goodness we didn't tell our son we were going, so he didn't have a tantrum.

I am pretty sure our son looks at us most days and thinks "a troop of monkeys could take better care of me." I am taking him to the zoo today to prove him wrong!

Operation codename: Don't wake the baby
Rally point: Jose Muldoons, Colorado Springs
Mission: Discuss medical school and certain classmates while eating fajitas and refried beans

Actually...

Sorry for the exclusion gd! We both work in Colorado Springs, so we met for lunch. Speaking of intake, we're going to have to figure out a time to buy TacoStand his beer since he won the bet. Maybe after pre-orientation if his wife isn't in labor?

medicalbound said:
Maybe after pre-orientation if his wife isn't in labor?
That's a great idea. I have to go to a banquet at 6:30 that evening, but it is a friday so i am pretty sure you can drink anytime during the day.

Just got back from the zoo and it's official: a troupe of monkeys CAN raise my child better than me. I left him there with a bag of bananas.

You guys are so lucky to have Tin Can as your future classmate. I met Tin Can at one of my interviews and I'd kill for TC as my classmate. Hilarious this TC is. Just ask about the bagel joke. You guys want to move Colorado's campus to the east coast?? I think it's a quality suggestion.

scneuro said:
You guys are so lucky to have Tin Can as your future classmate. I met Tin Can at one of my interviews and I'd kill for TC as my classmate. Hilarious this TC is. Just ask about the bagel joke. You guys want to move Colorado's campus to the east coast?? I think it's a quality suggestion.
Anyone think that Tin Can just changed his screen name??? j/k

gdbaby said:
Anyone think that Tin Can just changed his screen name??? j/k

gd I'm just jealous. I guess you don't think we could move Colorado's and Stony Brook's campuses closer together ;)

Well I spent my day with my very pregnant wife trooping around Denver looking for places to live.

And there it was....

Tacos, Tortas, y Burritos.....a tacostand....close to Fitz....simply unbelievable - a thing of true beauty. And when I saw the trailer park close by, I could not believe my luck. Could it be my new home?. A tacostand on my doorstep???

I was quickly vetoed by my better half and we moved on to explore more of Denver.

gdbaby said:

Truly it is unacceptable :) . Besides being a lot of fun (not trying to rub it in), it reminded me - dude, this really is happening.

By the way, since you live in Denver (8 blocks from the school - I believe), you are the leading expert on where to live. Any suggestions??

We looked at one house w/a realtor that was just too far - it was still 220K, so I've pretty much eliminated buying a house - maybe a condo (I saw some decent ones b/w Fitz and Alemeda) or a foreclosed property - if I really want to do some major remodeling before school. I'm still not sure. So far the best thing I saw was a 3 bdrm apartment 12 mins from both the 9th Ave campus & Fitz - Renaissance (<$1K). We might try another trip next weekend. I figure a pregnant wife is easier than a newborn.

Where is everyone living next year (or what areas have you been looking at if you don't live in denver already)? I have begun looking for places online but can't start looking in person until I get back to Colorado in May. Like what type of housing - apartment, condo, townhouse, single family home, etc? And what areas of Denver? It kind of sucks that we'll be moving to a different campus - do I get a place closer to 8th & Colorado or closer to fitz? The reason I ask is I plan on buying as opposed to renting so I can't just change locations once we switch to the new campus. I am not too familiar with specific areas in denver so any help would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
TacoStand said:
Truly it is unacceptable :) . Besides being a lot of fun (not trying to rub it in), it reminded me - dude, this really is happening.

By the way, since you live in Denver (8 blocks from the school - I believe), you are the leading expert on where to live. Any suggestions??

We looked at one house w/a realtor that was just too far - it was still 220K, so I've pretty much eliminated buying a house - maybe a condo (I saw some decent ones b/w Fitz and Alemeda) or a foreclosed property - if I really want to do some major remodeling before school. I'm still not sure. So far the best thing I saw was a 3 bdrm apartment 12 mins from both the 9th Ave campus & Fitz - Renaissance (<$1K). We might try another trip next weekend. I figure a pregnant wife is easier than a newborn.

Nice post ts....you must have put that up right when I was in the middle of typing mine. We should definately get any advice we can on this issue.

Hockeyguy said:
Every year it just keeps going up and up while services keep going down down down. Plus the "don't worry it will only go ten percent" garbage - I wouldn't trust that . At the begining of this " state funding crisis" crap they told us the same thing. By the way the UCHSC funding crisis was created by themselves. They are building a whole new med facility and expecting tax-payers to build it. Then they get pissed when people say NO what you had was fine - find your own funding. In ten years it might pay for itself but the "crisis" is something todays med students will have to deal with. It appears in the form of higher tution. All I know is my first year tution and extras was about 10K. Two years later we were north of 18K. I feel sorry for you guys hope no-one was going into general peds or family practice that is taking loans. Have fun paying 220k back!

I agree that UCHSC has kept on adding tuition and fees and 10% increases several years in a row is not the same as a 1 time increase. However, the new med school is not being funded by tuition or Higher Education funding so it has not been the cause of our increasing tuition (it is funded by the state's capital project funds which caused the whole lawsuit thing since the same bill also funded the new womens prison). The real problem has been that the state dropped funding at the same time that costs went up for things like the new curriculum so now the med school gets less than 2% of operating funds from the state when before it was over 10% and CU failed to look ahead and find other funding other than tuition to make up the differance. However, if I was a new MS-I I would be careful since costs are going to continue to rise unless something is done.

TacoStand said:
Well I spent my day with my very pregnant wife trooping around Denver looking for places to live.

And there it was....

Tacos, Tortas, y Burritos.....a tacostand....close to Fitz....simply unbelievable - a thing of true beauty. And when I saw the trailer park close by, I could not believe my luck. Could it be my new home?. A tacostand on my doorstep???

I was quickly vetoed by my better half and we moved on to explore more of Denver.

I know the place! That opulent trailer park nearby was the clincher that convinced me and my wife where we want to live. I remember it like it was yesterday...

"Kids - don't make eye contact! Roll up the windows! I don't care if the light is red, go go go!!!" We soon figured out why the rentals in the area boasted about having steel security doors and barred windows.

Are you taking notes ColoradoHockey? We've also been scouting and have found areas that we like and areas...well, not so much.

I guess I am the expert on where to live. I have been here in Denver since 2001 and have lived in several areas around town. As you probably notices, there is NOTHING around Fitz right now and it is not a very great neighborhood. I was fine with those neighborhoods pre-Oscar (my son) but then I wanted diversity AND safety. Plus, there is NO WAY we will be at Fitz for our classes so you might as well live closer to the heart of the city (if that's your thing) and take the shuttle to Fitz. Unless you want to buy very cheap condos on Pena Blvd by the airport. But then you are...by the airport.

Housing is super expensive here, but condos are still pretty reasonable and rentals are as well. Some neighborhoods for cheaper rentals that are relatively close to the old campus are: Cheeseman Park (predominantly gay neighborhood, beautiful park, good coffee shops and walk to everything you need), Mayfair (the area just north of the school--it extends eastward until you hit Lowry), Lowry may also have so cheaper rentals--I don't know much about them.

Now, there are some up and coming areas where you can still get a reasonably priced home to purchase. Whittier, Curtis Park and North City Park are changing quickly. East Highlands is farther away, but has super cute houses.

Anyone can PM me with addresses or neighborhood names and I can give you the run down. I used to work for a historic preservation organization so I know quite a bit about all the denver neighborhoods. I live in Park Hill, paid way too much for my little house, but absolutely love the neighborhood. If anyone is staying more than one day for pre-orientation, I would be happy to show you around town--see all the good tacostands!!

scneuro--I have an anthro student of mine who is trying to get into Stony Brook's Bio Anth program (very well-known). Do you think we could propose some sort of cooperative cross-over? We move CU to New York and my student gets into your grad school!

gdbaby said:
SCneuro:You guys are so lucky to have Tin Can as your future classmate. I met Tin Can at one of my interviews and I'd kill for TC as my classmate. Hilarious this TC is. Just ask about the bagel joke. You guys want to move Colorado's campus to the east coast?? I think it's a quality suggestion...

GD Baby: scneuro--I have an anthro student of mine who is trying to get into Stony Brook's Bio Anth program (very well-known). Do you think we could propose some sort of cooperative cross-over? We move CU to New York and my student gets into your grad school!

Yikes, so many things to respond to! My stupid dial-up internet connection will probably cut out before I get a chance to finish this.
First and foremost, Scneuro, it's the donut joke, for heaven's sake! How many times do I have to tell you that?! Crazy Jersey people =)
Gdbaby, I talk to Scneuro on a regular basis, so I'll remind'em about your student and the anthro. stuff. I don't know if they tune into this thread often enough to catch that request.
As for living arrangements, I stumbled into a nice deal at the Denver Parkway Condos (12th and Galapagos, I think). The place is super nice especially coming from a 400 sq studio in Chicago. It's just a short drive to the 9th ave. campus and about 20-30 min to the Fitz campus. It has a gym and all kinds of great perks like that. If it's one thing that I've learned with the apartment situation in Chicago, it's that the more that's included with the place, the better. A $50-100 increase in rent is definitely worth it if it cuts out costs due to parking, gym membership, cable, internet, morning coffee (yep, they have one of those crazy coffee machines too!), commute time, loud neighbors, etc. So many forms of "costs" to consider...
In case you're interested, hockey, I think the complex has both condos (rent through owners or become an owner) and straight-up rental properties. I know there's a website, but I can't seem to remember it right now. I'll post it when it comes to me again =)
Hope you're all enjoying the weekend!
P.S. Hockey, if you decide to buy a condo as an investment try to stay focused on good locations. If you ask my not-so-professional opinion, the condo market in Denver (especially out by the airport) seems pretty saturated. There's just so much space to develope that people would prefer to buy brand new condos for a couple thousand more than old ones (even just a few years old). Eh, just another thing to thing about.

TC, have you already signed a lease there? A LOT of undergrads from the Auraria campus live there so it is kind of a party central type of place--really loud. My hubby and I looked at those when we moved here, too. That being said, I will definitely be there ""visiting" at the pool when the weather's nice. And there are always plenty of "women" there with navel rings and string bikinis--if you're into that. :)

There are a lot of reasonable apartments in Capitol Hill and Congress Park as well and Congress Park is blocks away from the hospital campus.

So GD how much pull do you have at Colorado? Because I don't know how much pull I'll have Stony Brook, but I'll do my best if that means TC can tell the bagel joke at least once a week.

gdbaby said:
TC, have you already signed a lease there? A LOT of undergrads from the Auraria campus live there so it is kind of a party central type of place--really loud. My hubby and I looked at those when we moved here, too. That being said, I will definitely be there ""visiting" at the pool when the weather's nice. And there are always plenty of "women" there with navel rings and string bikinis--if you're into that. :)

There are a lot of reasonable apartments in Capitol Hill and Congress Park as well and Congress Park is blocks away from the hospital campus.

GD-

I'm pretty much locked into the place, not so much be a legally-binding contract, but more because of a great deal on the rent! I'm hoping that the majority of the noise is centered around the apartment complex, and less around the condos...hmm, I guess we'll see. At least I should have enough of my monthly budget left over for some earplugs and a really loud alarm clock, perhaps one developed by NASA...or, maybe enough to by a large pizza to throw towards the opposite side of the complex (like moths to a flame).

Anyway, I've met most of my neighbors/hallmates and they're mostly 28-40 something couples. While, I'm sure you can prove to me that they're not opposed to cutting a rug or two, I'm hoping that my somewhat geriatric-lifestyle won't be horribly disrupted by their crazy antics =)

Besides, all's fair in condo-living warfare. If my neighbors bring the rucus, then perhaps i'll have to bust out my string bikini, get my navel pierced and study detailed color photos of boils and rashes and puss and whatnot pool-side. You and the fam will of course be more than welcome to join me for moral support...well, perhaps you'll want to spare the children =) Oooo, unless they are cannonball experts!

I have a crucial youth soccer killer-strategy meeting scheduled with my co-coach up at Murphy's tomorrow. So know that someone somewhere around 6:00 pm CST will be eating a Chicago dog just for you!

Chicago sends it's love to one of its own,
Tin

Didn't realize that you were doing the condo-route. It's probably a lot different than the apartments. It must feel really good to know hwere you will be. Plus you are super close to downtown. Unfortunately, I got rid of my navel ring when I was pregnant and I will have to work out alot more to get myself in a string bikini.

I am only on SDN right now because there is a rain delay for the White Sox game. It does make me feel better knowing that someone is eating a hot dog for me....

Can't wait to meet you all. How am I going to know who's who? Do I just start shouting out screen names? "TIN CAN!!!!!" "TACOSTAND!!!!!" "WHERE THE HELL IS EVERYBODY?!?!?!"

gdbaby said:
Can't wait to meet you all. How am I going to know who's who? Do I just start shouting out screen names? "TIN CAN!!!!!" "TACOSTAND!!!!!" "WHERE THE HELL IS EVERYBODY?!?!?!"

Bring tacos - i eat them. :D

I spent my evening soaking up water from a water leak. Let me tell you how fun that was. After painting, fixing a toilet, and managing to not electrocute myself as I tried to figure out why one of my GFCI's was showing an open ground, I was greeted with dripping water in the basement and a quickly warping floor in the kitchen. Looks like I'll get the fun experience of installing another Pergo-style wood floor before I leave. Yippee!!!

TacoStand said:

I spent my evening soaking up water from a water leak. Let me tell you how fun that was. After painting, fixing a toilet, and managing to not electrocute myself as I tried to figure out why one of my GFCI's was showing an open ground, I was greeted with dripping water in the basement and a quickly warping floor in the kitchen. Looks like I'll get the fun experience of installing another Pergo-style wood floor before I leave. Yippee!!!

Oh man, Taco Stand!
That sucks! The last time I installed a floor I had to lift the kitchen stove by myself while I trimmed the self-sticking tiles (20 cents/each!) with bright orange safety scissors. Something tells me that the scissors wouldn't have been much help if the stove fell on me =) I'm guessing that installing Pergo floors is a lot less like an elementary school art project with heavy lifting, and more like Bob Villa home improvement. Good luck with everything and be careful with that electricity!

After much advocacy by current students, the decision has been made that computers and PDAs for the Class of 2010 will be "strongly encouraged" but not mandatory. This is very good news for your class. You'll get more details at pre-orientation on the 21st; the way they did it last year was that if you wanted to buy one of the recommended computers, you could do so.

TacoStand said:

Taco, I feel your pain. I decided to remodel our bathroom all by myself: pulled the old tiles off, removed everything down to the subfloor, ripped out the vanity, installed a pedestal sink, wainscoting, etc. Then I laid the new tile (a beautiful 1x1 glass tile) and reinstalled the toilet. I went to flush the toilet and apparently the wax ring wasn't secure. Water came rushing out everywhere, bubbled up the mortar and grout and all the tiles around the toilet popped up. With stiff drink in hand I began the process all over again repeating "I love my house. I love my house." over and over.

Let me know how the Pergo goes--we will be doing that in our kitchen this summer. Doing a cork floor in the basement. Curses HGTV--I would never think I could do these things if I hadn't seen it on "Weekend Warriors!"

MeowMix said:
After much advocacy by current students, the decision has been made that computers and PDAs for the Class of 2010 will be "strongly encouraged" but not mandatory. This is very good news for your class. You'll get more details at pre-orientation on the 21st; the way they did it last year was that if you wanted to buy one of the recommended computers, you could do so.

When did you hear about this? Last I was told (in December) laptops and PDAs would be mandatory.

Do you know what configuration laptop they encourage (processor speed, RAM, HD, software)?

moranwoods said:
When did you hear about this? Last I was told (in December) laptops and PDAs would be mandatory.

Do you know what configuration laptop they encourage (processor speed, RAM, HD, software)?
Laptops and PDAs will be mandatory as stated in our acceptance letters. No need to worry about configurations, they will be given to us configured and with the necessary software installed. Just put it on my tab!

MeowMix said:

Thank goodness. Now I can get a mac. Thanks for the advocacy efforts.

gdbaby said:
Laptops and PDAs will be mandatory as stated in our acceptance letters. No need to worry about configurations, they will be given to us configured and with the necessary software installed. Just put it on my tab!

Wait, MeowMix says they're "strongly encouraged."

bkflaneur said:
Thank goodness. Now I can get a mac. Thanks for the advocacy efforts.

Forgive me if this is old news, but I've been told by the people at the medical school book store near me that a lot of the cd's/dvd's that are included with educational materials are not compatible with macs. Personally, I'm sick of my pc crashing and have never used the cd's included with textbooks, but I am afraid to chance it when it comes to such big investment...especially since CU is heading up this huge human anatomy project. I'm sure that they'd like to turn their anatomy project into the "gold standard" for anatomy as soon as possible. In their efforts to take over the world, they'll probably start by making the virtual anatomy cd's mandatory for CU students. Will these be compatible with macs? I don't know.

Hmm, there might be way to much speculation in this post. I won't be offended if you ignore it =) Hopefully we'll all get a lot more information come April 21st.

tin can said:
In their efforts to take over the world...
My #1 reason for chosing CU.

tin can said:
Forgive me if this is old news, but I've been told by the people at the medical school book store near me that a lot of the cd's/dvd's that are included with educational materials are not compatible with macs. Personally, I'm sick of my pc crashing and have never used the cd's included with textbooks, but I am afraid to chance it when it comes to such big investment...especially since CU is heading up this huge human anatomy project. I'm sure that they'd like to turn their anatomy project into the "gold standard" for anatomy as soon as possible. In their efforts to take over the world, they'll probably start by making the virtual anatomy cd's mandatory for CU students. Will these be compatible with macs? I don't know.

The news about computers is coming straight from the Med Student Council meeting from last week. The IT people will give you a list of specs some time before August. :D Unfortunately, many of the IT decisions are last-minute, and the info changes, but the specs at least will stay the same. The thinking behind advocating for optional (instead of mandatory) computers is to allow you to save money by buying whatever works best for you, or keeping your old computer. No need to load up your student loans by buying an expensive, new, high-end computer.

Most of the textbook CDs/DVDs are either Mac-compatible, or if you e-mail them, they will send you a Mac-compatible version (haven't found a textbook yet that wouldn't send me a Mac disk). You won't have time to use a lot of them, but for some with practice questions, it's nice to have the option.

The Visible Human project CD has been given to us free for Windows or Mac, in previous years. And all the Anatomy lab computers are Macs, or have been so.

Awesome! Thanks, Meow!

MeowMix said:
The news about computers is coming straight from the Med Student Council meeting from last week. The IT people will give you a list of specs some time before August. :D Unfortunately, many of the IT decisions are last-minute, and the info changes, but the specs at least will stay the same. The thinking behind advocating for optional (instead of mandatory) computers is to allow you to save money by buying whatever works best for you, or keeping your old computer. No need to load up your student loans by buying an expensive, new, high-end computer.

Most of the textbook CDs/DVDs are either Mac-compatible, or if you e-mail them, they will send you a Mac-compatible version (haven't found a textbook yet that wouldn't send me a Mac disk). You won't have time to use a lot of them, but for some with practice questions, it's nice to have the option.

The Visible Human project CD has been given to us free for Windows or Mac, in previous years. And all the Anatomy lab computers are Macs, or have been so.
WOW! Thanks for sorting all of this out! You're a great source!

MeowMix said:
The news about computers is coming straight from the Med Student Council meeting from last week.

Sweet! We have an insider! Thanks for all your info and help.

Do any of you know if CUSOM has online lectures either as video or audio with accompanying notes?

I was reading another thread on how many students actually go to class and was surprised at how many don't attend lectures. I'd like to possibly be able to study at home a good deal next fall.

moranwoods said:
Do any of you know if CUSOM has online lectures either as video or audio with accompanying notes?

I was reading another thread on how many students actually go to class and was surprised at how many don't attend lectures. I'd like to possibly be able to study at home a good deal next fall.

Online as audio with Powerpoint/Word notes.

The way they scheduled it this year, the MS1 class had mandatory small group or lecture participation at the beginning and end of many days, so you pretty much had to be at school. Attendance is much better than that of the lazy and slothful MS2 class, who greatly enjoy studying at home. :D

MeowMix said:
Online as audio with Powerpoint/Word notes.

The way they scheduled it this year, the MS1 class had mandatory small group or lecture participation at the beginning and end of many days, so you pretty much had to be at school. Attendance is much better than that of the lazy and slothful MS2 class, who greatly enjoy studying at home. :D

So what's your daily schedule like? I know I asked MS1's when I interviewed, but that was in 2005 on the old curriculum.

moranwoods said:
So what's your daily schedule like? I know I asked MS1's when I interviewed, but that was in 2005 on the old curriculum.

Sorry, I don't know much about the new curriculum schedule. This year, it was impossible to figure out unless you were on it; it changed every week and was often not known more than a few weeks in advance. The current MS1s will be able to tell you more about it when you meet them. Usually, they try to limit lecture hours to 8-12 M-F, but then there are small groups, labs, clinical work, etc.

moranwoods said:

i'm sure we'll learn more april 21. but when i was there, most ms1 students said they were busy 8-12 and free in the afternoons. they said that during anatomy class, they were busy all the time. but as soon as that ended, they had more time. of course, i interviewed a few weeks after anatomy ended. so it's possible that their free time got swallowed up by something else. but they did say that a lot of people chose to treat school like a full time job - lecture in the morning, study hard in the afternoon, and leave it behind in the evening. i'm sure it's not that simple, but it sounded nice.

This is what I heard too. There is usually one or two afternoons a week where you either have your preceptor or you have small group, but then you are off. After anatomy, of course. But who knows if it will stay that way for us. All I know is that I am happy to have only anatomy to do for 9 weeks. I have never taken anatomy, biochem, or cell bio so I am glad I don't have to take them ALL at once!

gdbaby said:
This is what I heard too. There is usually one or two afternoons a week where you either have your preceptor or you have small group, but then you are off. After anatomy, of course. But who knows if it will stay that way for us. All I know is that I am happy to have only anatomy to do for 9 weeks. I have never taken anatomy, biochem, or cell bio so I am glad I don't have to take them ALL at once!

I suspect most of you have seen the calendars that are online (at least for the 1st year). It case you haven't check out https://www2.uchsc.edu/sm/ilios/ Select the Calendars link and have a look. Who knows if it will change, but it gives us some idea of what to expect.

I'm in the same boat as you gd - no anatomy or cell bio. Oh well, that means we will just enjoy it more, right? :eek:

TacoStand said:
I'm in the same boat as you gd - no anatomy or cell bio. Oh well, that means we will just enjoy it more, right? :eek:

I have perfected the "feigning head nod of understanding" and will be happy to teach it to you over your victory beer on April 21. If you are really gutsy, you can cup your chin with you hand while nodding, but I would jump into the deep end too quickly.

Looks like the link problem may be on their end.

gdbaby said:
I have perfected the "feigning head nod of understanding" and will be happy to teach it to you over your victory beer on April 21. If you are really gutsy, you can cup your chin with you hand while nodding, but I would jump into the deep end too quickly.

Looks like the link problem may be on their end.

Anatomy is easy if you sing while your doing it.. ah hem...

Heads, shoulders, knees and toes - knees and toes...

or the infamous...

The knee-bones' connected to the leg bone...

We'll get Oscar and my kids to tutor. :)

medicalbound said:
Anatomy is easy if you sing while your doing it.. ah hem...

Heads, shoulders, knees and toes - knees and toes...

or the infamous...

The knee-bones' connected to the leg bone...

We'll get Oscar and my kids to tutor. :)
Can I learn it from Blue's Clues? I seem to respond well to Blue's teaching methodology.

gdbaby said:
Can I learn it from Blue's Clues? I seem to respond well to Blue's teaching methodology.

You know gd, there are several options. The former tune is used extensively by the Australian anatomical teaching group known as "The Wiggles". I believe that the original Blue's Clues host (Steve) was more versed in the extremities while the newest Blue's Clues host (Joe - since 2001) is more versed in the cardiothoracic region of the body. By using a multidisciplined/multinational approach, it is easy to see how an MS1 can master the most complex of subjects. :laugh:

HA!! What's cardiothoracic? j/k

Whatever information I get I will just put in my handy-dandy notebook! Dear god, I have seen one too many videos!

TacoStand,

Thanks for the link to their schedules. How did you find it?

I've got a few weddings to attend next Fall and that will help in the planning. I just hope I don't fail anatomy from wedding hangovers!