University of Colorado c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so im from ca and will be paying out of state for year 1. does anyone know if it is better to file taxes as an independent this year vs a dependent on our parents as far gaining in state status for P2 year? Does it make a difference either way?

Congrats to all who got in! Cant wait to meet you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed 2/23, recieved acceptance TODAY!!!!! Dated March 9, deposit ($1000, now why was I thinking it was way less than that????) due March 24.

Congratulations!!!!

$1000??? I read somewhere that it was $200!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone. Look forward to seeing you in the fall. Currently live in Aurora, but have lived in Denver before. Traffic sux, live in Aurora. Unless you like sitting motionless in your car, live in aurora. Also, living in Aurora cuts your rent down/sq ft since it is not a "Denver" address. I pay 720 a month w/o utilities and live at Havana and Alameda at a place called del arte lofts and flats (lots of floor options and a great reimbursement for being a student at UCHSC), but there is a large selection of nice rentals in this area. Lowry is decent, but a little pricier (well maybe not for you in Cali). Stapleton is overpriced, and full of yuppies. On campus is safe and close, but ~900 a month w/o utilities. Downtown street parking sux. Stay away from Colfax! Also along I-225 just south of the campus is a good selection. Just thought those of yous out of state could use this info.

i am praying that they are still sending out acceptances from the 2.23 group of interviews. I am from Cali and have not heard anything yet....still being hopeful =)

did anyone else from the interview on 2.23 remember them saying that even though people interview on the same day, they can find out of their acceptance at differnt times throughout the interview procesS?

Just curious =)

how many interview days do they have lefT?

Last edited:
i am praying that they are still sending out acceptances from the 2.23 group of interviews. I am from Cali and have not heard anything yet....still being hopeful =)

did anyone else from the interview on 2.23 remember them saying that even though people interview on the same day, they can find out of their acceptance at differnt times throughout the interview procesS?

Just curious =)

how many interview days do they have lefT?
Im pretty sure the last interview date was march 13th.

Did any of you guys accepted interview with Dr. Ju??

Congratulations!!!!

$1000??? I read somewhere that it was $200!

I know, $200 was what I was thinking as well, although I'm not sure where I read it.... PharmCAS maybe?

Congratulations to everyone. Look forward to seeing you in the fall. Currently live in Aurora, but have lived in Denver before. Traffic sux, live in Aurora. Unless you like sitting motionless in your car, live in aurora. Also, living in Aurora cuts your rent down/sq ft since it is not a "Denver" address. I pay 720 a month w/o utilities and live at Havana and Alameda at a place called del arte lofts and flats (lots of floor options and a great reimbursement for being a student at UCHSC), but there is a large selection of nice rentals in this area. Lowry is decent, but a little pricier (well maybe not for you in Cali). Stapleton is overpriced, and full of yuppies. On campus is safe and close, but ~900 a month w/o utilities. Downtown street parking sux. Stay away from Colfax! Also along I-225 just south of the campus is a good selection. Just thought those of yous out of state could use this info.

Nick191,

What do you know of the local schools in Aurora. My older child will be starting high school in the fall, and of course where we put him is vitally important!

Thanks!

from what i saw on my invite the last one they posted was on 3.9...so everyone should hear of an acceptance by end of this month..latest the beginning of april.

:xf::luck::xf:

Yes, definitely stay away from Colfax. I'm currently in Aurora too but moving closer to Denver (Lowry, actually).. It could be that I just had some awful luck but my suggestion would be to take your time and carefully inspect the neighborhood if you want to live in Aurora. There are a lot of patchy areas that aren't great at all.

A lot of my classmates have the same feeling about Aurora. It's cheaper to live here but you get what you pay for. Personally, I'd rather drive a little further to get to school and live in a better area. Someone actually stole the spare tire off the back of my car when my car was parked right in front of the apartment. Seriously, that was the last straw...

Don't get me wrong though. The campus is safe and there are decent places in Aurora. But like I said, it's patchy. One apartment community might be fine but the one immediately adjacent to it could be horrible.

Yes, definitely stay away from Colfax. I'm currently in Aurora too but moving closer to Denver (Lowry, actually).. It could be that I just had some awful luck but my suggestion would be to take your time and carefully inspect the neighborhood if you want to live in Aurora. There are a lot of patchy areas that aren't great at all.

A lot of my classmates have the same feeling about Aurora. It's cheaper to live here but you get what you pay for. Personally, I'd rather drive a little further to get to school and live in a better area. Someone actually stole the spare tire off the back of my car when my car was parked right in front of the apartment. Seriously, that was the last straw...

Don't get me wrong though. The campus is safe and there are decent places in Aurora. But like I said, it's patchy. One apartment community might be fine but the one immediately adjacent to it could be horrible.

any suggestions of complexes or streets that may be safer in aurora?

Members don't see this ad :)
no envelope for me today...i am beyond disappointed. I really wanted to go to this school, and felt my interview went really well. I would not change anything that I said. This feels awful!

if we dont get one this week, I am sure that we will get one soon. They said that they will send out the last ones around the end of march beginning of april..

keep your head up!

no envelope for me today...i am beyond disappointed. I really wanted to go to this school, and felt my interview went really well. I would not change anything that I said. This feels awful!

Don't panic just yet. Keep in mind distance and mailing times. Someone from Colorado rec'd it in the mail yesterday, I live in Nebraska and got it today. No news doesn't equal bad news, be patient!

I agree with Rx by Mail

I am from cali too...and did not recieve anything yet...

the closer you are to CO, the faster you get your response...just one or two more days till we hear something.

I HOPE :xf:

wow thanks so much!!!! that'll really help!

so im from ca and will be paying out of state for year 1. does anyone know if it is better to file taxes as an independent this year vs a dependent on our parents as far gaining in state status for P2 year? Does it make a difference either way?

Congrats to all who got in! Cant wait to meet you all!

hey i found this on their website regarding in-state eligibility. we basically need to prove that mom and dad aren't supporting us anymore so it'd probably be better to file as an independent.

http://www.cudenver.edu/ADMISSIONS/...DOESITCOST/Pages/ResidencyClassification.aspx

Same here...and I live in CO!!!!! I think my interviewer was just blah. I need to stop visiting this thread, it's depressing but it's the most active thread on the forums it seems like.

Congrats to the masses that got in though!

Interviewed 2/23, recieved acceptance TODAY!!!!! Dated March 9, deposit ($1000, now why was I thinking it was way less than that????) due March 24.

Ok I'm glad it wasn't just me!! I could have sworn they said it was $200 during the little information presentation too. My husband and I had to wait till our tax return came in. I got mine sent off on yesterday, but that's less money for moving, deposits and stuff now. Bummer.

I interviewed on the 2nd of February and I still haven't heard anything yet. And I'm an in-stater. Seems like a lot of the people that have been getting accepted are out-of-staters thus far. Who knows. I'm already accepted to Creighton so it's not a huge deal...not sure I would want to go to U of Colorado anyway...I kind of want to try going to school somewhere else after growing up here and getting my bachelor's degree here. Time to see new things.
I would be surprised if I didn't get accepted, but who knows. The student that conducted the campus tour was not enthusiastic about the school. My interview was very strange...it was clear to me that neither the student nor the faculty member wanted to be there at all, and they didn't make me feel welcome. When they asked me if I had any questions and I asked them (abroad opportunities if any, advising, etc) they were very cold and just not friendly. It was just a bad, sloppy day in general...the financial aid person didn't even show up! Which was odd.

i interviewed on 2/20 and i just got accepted over the weekend!!! :love:

SOOOO excited!!! I came home on Saturday to find a large, white envelope from UC-Denver waiting for me. I've been accepted!!!

The letter was dated 3/9, so it took about 5 days to get to Seattle. I interviewed on 2/27.

are those of you that have been accepted planning to attend UC-Denver?

i am superrr nervous now. I interviewed 2/23 and have not heard anything. Is it still a possibility to hear good news from them later? I am trying to remember what they said to us at the interview...but now I feel like I am unsure of what they said. :(

are those of you that have been accepted planning to attend UC-Denver?

I am trying to choose between UC-Denver and Midwestern-CPG right now. There are a lot of things to consider and I hope to have a decision by the end of the week. I don't want to make another candidate wait any longer than they have to.

i am superrr nervous now. I interviewed 2/23 and have not heard anything. Is it still a possibility to hear good news from them later? I am trying to remember what they said to us at the interview...but now I feel like I am unsure of what they said. :(

When I interviewed the didn't really give us a set time line. They mentioned that they would have the final decisions sent out by the end of April. Hope that helps some!

Good luck!

Thank you SeattleCoug!! And thank you for not making us wait too long...=)

good luck with the decision that you make!!

so i just called the office of admissions and the person i spoke to actually checked my status and said that a decision has not been made on my file. she said even if i was not chosen...she couldnt tell me because it was not even on her screen. so i think this may be a good sign. i hope!

for those of you accepted, have you called to see your staus with the school? (i mean you already know you are accepted...but if they have made a note of it in their computer systems)

I wonder when the March 6th interviewees will hear...

for those of you accepted, have you called to see your staus with the school? (i mean you already know you are accepted...but if they have made a note of it in their computer systems)

If I'm accepted and I have it in writing, I wouldn't call the school to double check. I'm sure there is something in their computers for tracking purposes. Maybe just the person you talked to doesn't have access. Or maybe it's their policy to not give that info over the phone? I dunno.

I got in yay!!!!! They sent it on the 9th and I finally received it today! See you all in the fall! I could not be more excited!

OHHH!!!

now i am scared!!!! EEK!!!

i wonder how many they have accepted so far?

Anyone know if there is a gym on campus? If there is, where is it and is it decent?

Anyone know if there is a gym on campus? If there is, where is it and is it decent?
I asked the p2 student doing my tour and he said there was no gym on campus. I thought that was strange. Hmm...

I got in too! My letter was also dated the 9th and it took its sweet time getting to me! So excited!!!!!!

I got in yay!!!!! They sent it on the 9th and I finally received it today! See you all in the fall! I could not be more excited!
Congratulations!!! I've been out of town so I'm flying home today and I can't wait to check my mail tonight (2/23 interview)! I'm nervous!!!

There is not a gym on campus right now. As a student you can get a discounted membership to 24Hour Fitness gyms. I had found some information about this on the UC-Denver website at one point, but don't remember where it was specifically.

There is not a gym on campus right now. As a student you can get a discounted membership to 24Hour Fitness gyms. I had found some information about this on the UC-Denver website at one point, but don't remember where it was specifically.

Yes, there is a discount with 24hour fitness from what I heard. The campus is still new, not even two years old and they're still building other facilities, including just breaking ground on the new School of Pharmacy building. That's why there's not a rec center as of now, but I hope that changes.

What are your personal :ptop 10 reasons:p to go to CU Denver SOP? Anything goes.

Just wondering:idea:.

Nothing in the mail for me today. I'm soo sad and worried. :(

Don't know why, but my deposit was $200 back in October. $1K is rather high.

I think I'm going to call them about the 1K deposit, because 5 days is a very short time to come up with that much money. Especially because I am trying very hard to save up enough money to make this big move.

Nothing in the mail for me today. I'm soo sad and worried. :(

I'm sure you will hear something soon. Maybe its stuck in the mail system somewhere. My letter took 7 days to get to me in central CA, which is kind of ridiculous.

so i just called the office of admissions and the person i spoke to actually checked my status and said that a decision has not been made on my file. she said even if i was not chosen...she couldnt tell me because it was not even on her screen. so i think this may be a good sign. i hope!

I did not call. But I'm sure that Beverly or Cecelia in the admissions office would be happy to help you out if they can. Sometimes there is a policy not to disclose information over the phone or by unofficial email. Good luck!!!

The school does have a deal with 24 hour fitness. It comes out to $29/month for the discounted membership. All gyms except the sport (I think?) and all across the country. There is a newer gym on Chambers and Alameda and it is AWESOME! Love that location.. Close to school, big gym, and new equipment. There is another gym in Lowry too which I heard is smaller but I haven't checked it out yet.

All you need to sign up is your AMC student ID.

any suggestions of complexes or streets that may be safer in aurora?

A lot of my classmates are at Copper Flats but it seems the construction of the apartments wasn't too great there. Apparently, the walls/floors do not insulate much noise and that's the same problem I had at my old apartment too. However, it's only about a mile from school and those classmates usually bike/walk to school.

I've heard good things about the Parc at Cherry Creek. You might try there. In general, I would suggest living further south if you want to stay in Aurora (near Iliff and further down seems to be fine). Another classmate lives near the Parc (I forgot the name of the community) but she is happy with her apartment as well.

A few other classmates live in Lowry and it is really nice here. Quiet and new neighborhood. But like someone else already mentioned, it is a little pricier.

Really though, it's probably best to find an apartment in Denver.. even the outer edge of Denver where it is almost Aurora is better than being in the heart of Aurora.

Oh yeah, and STAY AWAY from Westridge apartments. I just moved out of there.

k0ni, since you seem to be the resident residential expert, what do you know about the area near mississippi and I think it was like I-225 maybe (I remember there was a Best Buy right near there if that helps). My hotel was near there and after the interview I had time to burn because my flight did not leave until the next day so I drove around that area a bit. It seemed like it was a decent area. There were a lot of little strip malls and residential community so it definately didnt look like it was a shady area.

I am kinda picky where I live, and if it is a shady neighborhood it will definately be off my list. Safety is the last thing I want to have to worry about, particularly since my girlfriend will be moving with me. Anyhow, thanks for all the insight you have given us thus far, it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to call them about the 1K deposit, because 5 days is a very short time to come up with that much money. Especially because I am trying very hard to save up enough money to make this big move.

I was actually shocked when I saw the letter saying it was $1K. Did they not say it was $200 at some point during the information session? Like during the financial aid powerpoint? I could have sworn. I distinctly remember being at my interview in Iowa and the dean making a statement about their deposit only being $250 and it was the cheapest in the nation. And I thought to myself,"Nope. CO is only $200." It just sucks that $800 could have helped pay for our moving truck, we could have used it for our deposit on our new place. Heck it could have been used towards the $2100 for books they have budget for P1. AH! Oh well :rolleyes:

And k0ni thank you so much for your input on places to live. A lot of us are coming from out of state it seems and we really appreciate the information! School's going to be stressful enough and it would be horrible to not feel safe in where you live.