University of British Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whos free to meet at SFU surrey on Friday around 12 pm?

This friday the 25th? Sure.

Anyone have any mmi-related practice material/questions they could bring?

Whereabouts at SFU (I'm not to familiar with the building)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
once we decide on a meeting place, does anyone have any ideas on how we would practice? working in a group or in pairs?

I got an interview too! anyone in vancouver want to practice on the weekends? We can make up MMI questions and ask amongst ourselves.

That sounds good to me! :)

I can probably do this weekend, but I'm definitely free most of next weekend if you're up for practicing then! :)

Since Fridays don't work for me, I'd like to join the weekend group!
(I live in Vancouver near UBC campus.)

Also did anyone get an e-mail with the interview schedule yet? I haven't gotten anything

So, just to re-organize,
Members who have expressed interest in meeting this Friday (25) at 12pm @ SFU surrey are:
PCAT2012
member 0000
strutter1991
bballa99
shelbz
HappyStudent00 (myself)

Let me know if I missed your name! But, so far, that makes 6 of us! Awesome :)

Is anyone studying in SFU? Or does anyone know a good place that we could meet at SFU surrey?

I googled study rooms and it seems like there are study rooms at Fraser Library available for booking on Friday May 25. I'm not a SFU student, so I don't know how the booking works. The site says "A maximum of 2 hours per day per group or individual up to 2 weeks in advance"...I might be reading it wrong, but it seems to imply that booking needs to be done 2 weeks prior...But nothing seems to booked on this fri..so hopefully, someone (needs to be an SFU student) can book a room at Fraser Library (if nobody else has any other ideas on where to meet)?
The site is: http://roombooking.surrey.sfu.ca/day.php?year=2012&month=5&day=25&area=7

-----

once we decide on a meeting place, does anyone have any ideas on how we would practice? working in a group or in pairs?

I've never been in a MMI practice group before, so I can't offer any great ideas. Since there's 6 of us (so far), we could practice and discuss together first...and then maybe pair off to simulate interview-like situations (or rotate between pairs)?

Just wondering, who has been to an actual MMI?

This friday the 25th? Sure.

Anyone have any mmi-related practice material/questions they could bring?

Whereabouts at SFU (I'm not to familiar with the building)

I don't have any mmi-related practice material/questions that can't be found on google already. :/

Last edited:
i also have to travel from the east coast. just make sure you plan your trip as quickly as possible and try to look at daily deal sites to see if anything pops up for the vancouver area for hotels. i get you though, flying out west is a pretty big expense!

congrats on the interview invite!

Thanks twenty7! yeah furiously giving out resumes right now... :/

UBC turns one of their residences into a hostel in the summer. I lived there during the school year and it is decent. It costs $33 per night

Pacific Spirit Hostel

That is really helpful, I will probably stay there. Thanks so much!

Aww its too bad I can't join the rest of you for the MMI sessions. (again if anyone is in Toronto let me know!). Its really good to practice together like that before, most people just wing it but practice is REALLY helpful because you develop a strategy and plan for the actual thing itself. I know, I've done a few MMIs, only to realize that practicing actually is helpful.

One tip I got was to record yourself on a webcam while answering an MMI type question. also when you practice, time it exactly the same as the interview itself (i.e. 2min to read, 7min to answer question - although about 5min should be sufficient, and you can let the interviewer ask you questions). it also helps to practice the acting ones if a friend is willing to be the actor :p but not necessary. when answering certain questions, remember the LIFE OF THE PATIENT or PATIENT SAFETY comes first (and cost last). when you develop your OWN strategy (i.e. read Q, identify problem, think of 4 points to bring up, answer q - problem, who's affected, solution, why) the 5-7min will go by pretty fast.

So, just to re-organize,
Members who have expressed interest in meeting this Friday (25) at 12pm @ SFU surrey are:
PCAT2012
member 0000
strutter1991
bballa99
shelbz
HappyStudent00 (myself)

Is anyone studying in SFU? Or does anyone know a good place that we could meet at SFU surrey?

I googled study rooms and it seems like there are study rooms at Fraser Library available for booking on Friday May 25. I'm not a SFU student, so I don't know how the booking works. The site says "A maximum of 2 hours per day per group or individual up to 2 weeks in advance"...I might be reading it wrong, but it seems to imply that booking needs to be done 2 weeks prior...But nothing seems to booked on this fri..so hopefully, someone (needs to be an SFU student) can book a room at Fraser Library (if nobody else has any other ideas on where to meet)?
The site is: http://roombooking.surrey.sfu.ca/day.php?year=2012&month=5&day=25&area=7

-----

I've never been in a MMI practice group before, so I can't offer any great ideas. Since there's 6 of us (so far), we could practice and discuss together first...and then maybe pair off to simulate interview-like situations (or rotate between pairs)?

I don't have any mmi-related practice material/questions that can't be found on google already. :/

Yes, I am an SFU student so I can book a room from 12-2 and again from 2-4 if we need it. We can meet right by the coffee shop that is at the bottom of the escalators and beside the computer lab on the main floor (there are 2 coffee shops around the same area, make sure you go to the one near the escalators).

Yes, I am an SFU student so I can book a room from 12-2 and again from 2-4 if we need it. We can meet right by the coffee shop that is at the bottom of the escalators and beside the computer lab on the main floor (there are 2 coffee shops around the same area, make sure you go to the one near the escalators).
Hi guys!!!

I am interested in joining you guys on Friday as well. Just to confirm, we are gathering at 12pm near the escalator next to blenz inside right? Not the one near the entrance doors?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, just to re-organize,
PCAT2012
member 0000
strutter1991
bballa99
shelbz
HappyStudent00 (myself)

-----

Please count me in for Friday! I'm not familiar with SFU in Surrey but is there nearby parking, preferably not that expensive near the building we are meeting at?

Hi guys!!!

I am interested in joining you guys on Friday as well. Just to confirm, we are gathering at 12pm near the escalator next to blenz inside right? Not the one near the entrance doors?

Yes, that is correct. Everyone bring practice questions to practice with!

That's great! Thank you! :)

---

@MiuMir, mcheung, Chowfan007

Did you guys want to meet at UBC on June 2? Or is there somewhere else that works better for you guys? :)

Aww its too bad I can't join the rest of you for the MMI sessions. (again if anyone is in Toronto let me know!). Its really good to practice together like that before, most people just wing it but practice is REALLY helpful because you develop a strategy and plan for the actual thing itself. I know, I've done a few MMIs, only to realize that practicing actually is helpful.

One tip I got was to record yourself on a webcam while answering an MMI type question. also when you practice, time it exactly the same as the interview itself (i.e. 2min to read, 7min to answer question - although about 5min should be sufficient, and you can let the interviewer ask you questions). it also helps to practice the acting ones if a friend is willing to be the actor :p but not necessary. when answering certain questions, remember the LIFE OF THE PATIENT or PATIENT SAFETY comes first (and cost last). when you develop your OWN strategy (i.e. read Q, identify problem, think of 4 points to bring up, answer q - problem, who's affected, solution, why) the 5-7min will go by pretty fast.

Thank you for the advice! :)

Alrighty.

I'll see you guys there then.

---

Did you guys want to meet at UBC on June 2? Or is there somewhere else that works better for you guys? :)

UBC, or just anywhere in vancouver works good for me !

---

Same here. Anywhere in vancouver works fine but maybe on campus we can book a library room? I'm available on this weekend as well (though feel much unprepared yet), if anyone else is interested?

Question for the ladies (input from gents is welcome too though)- what are you going to wear?? Skirt-suit, pant-suit, dress-pants + blouse?
A lot of my formal wear is kind of wintery... time to go shopping!

June 2nd is a saturday? I'm more available on Sunday because I'm working till 9:30 - 7pm on saturdays, and 9:30 - 7 mon-fri. Congrats on all the people who got the interview! To those who didn't receive the invite, don't give up!

Question for the ladies (input from gents is welcome too though)- what are you going to wear?? Skirt-suit, pant-suit, dress-pants + blouse?
A lot of my formal wear is kind of wintery... time to go shopping!

rainy day: pant-suit
sunny day: dress-suit or blouse-skirt-suit (i like the dress-suit since there's no need to pick out a top and a bottom)

always try to bring an extra set of clothes or pantyhose at least because you never know what might happen!

Can I join you guys too? SFU surrey tomorrow 12 pm?

Did anyone got an interview offer with GPA 75? I am sooo concerned about my GPA :(

hi, i was wondering if anyone has gone through a multi-mini interview before? what was the experience like and how did you prep for it?

thanks!

Is that your GPA? Did you get an interview this year?

I am not sure my is either 74.5 or 76.5
it is the higher one if they consider the term 2 marks too.

Is it too bad :(?

Count me in! I am unfamiliar with SFU Surrey campus. Does anyone know if there is parking near the building or where I would park? Cheaper parking would be preferred. Thanks

Count me in! I am unfamiliar with SFU Surrey campus. Does anyone know if there is parking near the building or where I would park? Cheaper parking would be preferred. Thanks[/QUOTE

Surrey Campus its like a multistory building with its own parking , I do not know the price though :p

Count me in! I am unfamiliar with SFU Surrey campus. Does anyone know if there is parking near the building or where I would park? Cheaper parking would be preferred. Thanks

You can park at the underground mall parking for free for 3 hours max

Don't worry, at this point, your GPA shouldn't be the concern.

I'd say just focus on the interview.

Your GPA isn't too bad at all. Your GPA seems to be around the average GPA of the applicants who got accepted last year.

Although it is true that people with GPA of 90s and high 80s have advantages over other applicants, the MMI can make everything change.

Try practicing MMI hard as everyone here is doing and if you does an outstanding job relative to the others in the MMI, I believe that you will be able to hear a good news.

I am not sure my is either 74.5 or 76.5
it is the higher one if they consider the term 2 marks too.

Is it too bad :(?

Ive got my confirmation today, Sunday 17th

Does anyone know how many interviews were given out by the faculty? i know its between 350-400.

I got my interview confirmation today as well! Saturday the 9th. does anyone else from Kamloops have an interview?

I was at sfu but I arrived 30min late :( stupid traffic. I can't find you guys and I checked all the study rooms. What a waste of gas :/

Shmk, what are your stats like? Curious because you got the interview on a coveted last day of the last week xD

Last edited:
Shmk, what are your stats like? Curious because you got the interview on a coveted last day of the last week xD

GPA: 75
Pcat:88

I myself chose my time to be one the last day of the last week :D
less Stress till the result :p lol

Nice PCAT :S
My PCAT is so low ;________; ah well. I think I got 16th instead of 17th because I said 'Saturday or Sunday is fine'
Ah well...

Nice PCAT :S
My PCAT is so low ;________; ah well. I think I got 16th instead of 17th because I said 'Saturday or Sunday is fine'
Ah well...

Dont worry about it , we will do great on the interview :)

I'm on Sunday 17th PM too. The scheduling won't have anything to do with your grades coming in though...

(I requested the 2nd weekend, heh)

Hey guys, to the people I was supposed to meet with tomorrow at sfu surrey at 12:30, I won't be able to make it since something has come up! Can we set up another date for sometime during the week if it works?

I would be interested in having an mmi practise as well preferably in vancouver, June 2nd at UBC sounds good to me

Count me in for June 2nd at UBC. Do we have a time or room yet?

I'll be there june 2nd @ UBC, whereabouts though? What time?

I'd like it if we could meet someone in vancouver instead, near the skytrain line.

Last edited: