University of Arizona - Tucson Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What's up fellow Arizonans! Since it is now mid-march and we all know our status, I figured I would start a UofA class thread for those who got in or who hope to off of the waitlist. This will be a Tucson thread, a Phoenix thread was started a while back, although the two programs are virtually the same in many regards so those who got into Phoenix (or prefer it) by all means post freely in both.

PHX class thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=496989

We've also got a good thread for this years admissions cycle going in the pre-allo forums:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=6385250

Anyone else excited about the UofA?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty excited about UA COM, currently at #3 on the waiting list and hoping to see some movement soon. UA is my top choice.

Good luck to you, MedMan. At #3, I'm surprised that you haven't gotten in yet. Your acceptance should come pretty soon though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to you, MedMan. At #3, I'm surprised that you haven't gotten in yet. Your acceptance should come pretty soon though.

Thanks! I hope it does, the anticipation is killing me.

I'm pretty excited about UA COM, currently at #3 on the waiting list and hoping to see some movement soon. UA is my top choice.
I would be confident in saying at least three people will choose not to attend.:)

do y'all know where you are going to live yet?? Ideally I'd like a nice apartment close to school that takes dogs...anyone know of one???

I would be confident in saying at least three people will choose not to attend.:)

I concur. I won't be satisfied until I get an acceptance letter though ;)

do y'all know where you are going to live yet?? Ideally I'd like a nice apartment close to school that takes dogs...anyone know of one???

Your best bet is to look at houses for rent. Generally apartment complexes are way overpriced. I currently share a fairly sizeable 3 bedroom house with two roomates for a little under $900 a month. I live less than a mile from the Medical school and main campus. You can probably find a fairly decent place on craigslist or by driving around a few neighborhoods.

has there been any movement on the Tucson waitlist?

Congratulations!!!!

Let's hope the ball starts rolling faster and more people get off the wait-list!

(what number were you?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone!,

I'm an accepted WICHE applicant from MT who will definitely be at UA if I get the "funding." Montana funds 6/year and UA requires it in order to matriculate. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist, and I hope to see you all in Tucson in August!

Hey Everyone!,

I'm an accepted WICHE applicant from MT who will definitely be at UA if I get the "funding." Montana funds 6/year and UA requires it in order to matriculate. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist, and I hope to see you all in Tucson in August!

Congrats rockstar! Welcome to AZ!

thanks buffdoc.......were you accepted anywhere else?

Hey Everyone!,

Congrats and welcome to AZ! I had a WICHE friend from Montana who loved it here. So how does that funding thing work anyways? Do you have to apply for that seperately through your state? Does that mean there is a chance you won't get it?

I only applied to the U of A. That saved me a lot of money and I didn't really want to move out of state again.

Damn, that's baller!

yeah, .....basically I had to apply for certification as a MT resident. From there, they fund ~6/year from a ranked pool that is usually 10-20, so we'll see what happens. Cross your fingers for me!

soooo does anyone know if there's been any movement on the list??

i just called, and 7 people have been pulled off the waitlist.

Cool! 7 people off the waitlist. Anyone know if that is more or less than how many they took last year during early April? Anyone know about Phx's waitlist movement?:confused:

FYI: as of today, 11 people are off the Tucson waitlist!!!

it seems like 4-5 people are getting off the list per week. But, let's hope students make up their minds quickly so that we waitlisters can join the class!

thanks for the update wildcat. i'm pretty much in the same boat as you. #25. i'm really excited that they're already on #11! But, still nervous because anything can happen.

As of right now, are you planning on going somewhere else?

It seems like the admissions staff is very optimistic that at least 50 people will come off the list, so I think we can mentally prepare ourselves for good news. :D

I am wait-listed at a few other schools, and accepted at one, but I realllllllly want to come to the UA. How about you stcroix? are you planning to go anywhere else?

yay i'm so happy to hear the list is moving! *fingers crossed*

does anybody know how many people have gotten in off the waitlist in the last several years?

Congratulations on getting in (or waitlisted)! I'm finishing up my MSI year at UofA med right now and couldn't help but look to see who was on this year's class thread :) The rumors are true...I can't say it'll be the same this year (who could?) but the last two years everybody on the waitlist got acceptances.

Red- i don't know if you want to drive to school or not, but I live in a great apartment complex that allows for up to two dogs in an apartment, it's about 10 min. away in light traffic. PM me if you're interested. (I came out here with my carload of animals too..)

the last two years everybody on the waitlist got acceptances.

Are you certain about that? I had someone tell me at my Phoenix interview that he was on the waitlist last year and didn't get in.

Well, i can't promise you my information is right. I do know the person who was #50 on the waitlist in my class, so that's really all I can go on. I applied two years ago and deferred, so I went through the application process before Phoenix existed. I don't know how that affects waitlists or acceptances in the least. Sorry! Iwould be optimistic though :) And I wish you the best of luck. Are you going to the U right now? or are you at a different university.

wildcat-

i've been accepted at 2 other schools, but I would love to go to U of A! i've been checking this thread for waitlist updates. i know that most of the movement isn't until may 15th, but i'm still kind of bummed about the lack of movement last week!

oh well, positive thinking, right? :)

anyone have an update about the waitlist movement? Also, does anyone know how many people are usually moved off the waitlist around May 15th? Thanks

well i've relied on you guys to update me on the waitlist so i figured it was my turn.

i called today and they are still on #13.

ahhh! #13 is turning out to be a very unlucky number. I'm just glad I'm not #14. :laugh:

update everyone! They are now at 15 on the waitlist. This time last year they were only at 9, so I found that to be good news. Especially for those people in the 50-60 range:D

They're through #20 today! At this time last year they were at #10

I got accepted off the WL today! (I was #24!)

congrats wildcat!

they are at 25 as of yesterday!

The waitlist is still moving. They're at 27 now!

Krosburg.... (aka Number 42) walks in, sits down and takes his seat in the Tucson COM Class of 2012 and says Howdy to everyone.

I also live in Tucson for those that need Tucson area info, just a thought
and my complex at stone and river does take dogs and is only 10-15 min from campus

Hey fellow class of 2012, are you guys going with a tablet laptop or just a regular laptop? Any thoughts?

Get whichever computer you like better, regardless of the tablet - nicer screen? more battery life? etc.. Factor in cost. I think 2 people in my class (I just finished first year) ever actually used their tablet to take notes on during class. For the rest of us, it was just a pretty swivel screen. So if you think you'll use it, get it. If not..... you probably won't be inspired to suddenly. Dont' get what you don't need. And trust me, that goes for Lange's biochemistry textbook, whaters histology text, langman's medical embryology and the big red book for societies, as well as the quantity of rubber gloves you buy for anatomy lab(anyone want the 4 boxes i have left over? if the cops ever pull me over and see a trashbag full of latex gloves in my car, they'll find something to arrest me for, i'm certain...)

- Omgwtfbbq? MSII .... huh, that rhymes.

Get whichever computer you like better, regardless of the tablet - nicer screen? more battery life? etc.. Factor in cost. I think 2 people in my class (I just finished first year) ever actually used their tablet to take notes on during class. For the rest of us, it was just a pretty swivel screen. So if you think you'll use it, get it. If not..... you probably won't be inspired to suddenly. Dont' get what you don't need. And trust me, that goes for Lange's biochemistry textbook, whaters histology text, langman's medical embryology and the big red book for societies, as well as the quantity of rubber gloves you buy for anatomy lab(anyone want the 4 boxes i have left over? if the cops ever pull me over and see a trashbag full of latex gloves in my car, they'll find something to arrest me for, I'm certain...)

- Omgwtfbbq? MSII .... huh, that rhymes.

So what type of computer did you end up getting and/or suggest? I definitely need a new one, but I just want something I can easily carry around. I was really leaning towards the new dell notebooks. Advice? Thanks

I got a dell notebook :) I went with the vostro business style because it was onsale, has a very good battery life... it's a good computer. I'm very happy with it, especially since you can purchase a long term warranty that covers accidental damage (a good idea if you're the kind of person who takes your laptop to class every day... i'm not.. but.. still... i'm accident prone)

Just think of what you've always used a laptop for, and assume that's still what you'll use it for. Powerpoint, Word, the usual. We haven't really used any special programs in med school that we've had to use. Your notes are printed for you, assingments require just word and powerpoint, and there are no high powered programs that require a lot of ram.. Occasionally people download the histology slides, but as long as you have a reasonable middle of the road computer then you'll have no problem viewing them. In fact, I didn't get a new computer until about halfway through first year when mine started to finally bite the dust.