Unethical clinical supervisors in private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sek2001

Clinical Psychologist, University Center
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Colleagues,

I would like your thoughts on this matter. I’ll keep it very short. One of my colleagues is currently working at a private practice as a postgraduate MHC trainee. She has collected over 3,000+ clinical hours and 100+ hours (over two years)…enough hours to submit her verification of postgraduate degree supervised professional counseling experience form. She is in a strange situation because her supervisor (also the owner of the practice) will not sign off on her hours. The owner wants her to stay for another two years to “pay back for individual training and supervision.” Additionally, the owner has created multiple contingencies such as “You need to pass the NCE before I sign it…we need to review all your charts…” I feel as if the owner is doing whatever possible to keep her there as a trainee. My colleague feels so paralyzed. What should she do? Who should she contact for guidance? DPH? ACA? AMHCA? I would like to help her but lack the legal knowledge to do so. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
She needs to (1) look at the terms of her employment contract and (2) try to resolve the disagreement with her supervisor directly first. If the supervisor doesn't back down, then a call to the licensing board is in order. She should start documenting everything, including emails, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
She needs to (1) look at the terms of her employment contract and (2) try to resolve the disagreement with her supervisor directly first. If the supervisor doesn't back down, then a call to the licensing board is in order. She should start documenting everything, including emails, etc.

Thank you! I'll share your thoughts with her.

She should also confirm, if she hasn't already, that her licensure board allows graduates to accrue hours in a private practice. My state (MA) makes it VERY clear that post masters hours (clinical and supervision) can not be accrued in individual or group private practice. Her state mental health counseling association may also have guidance or access to legal referrals if needed.

Reactions: 1 users